Jack Grealish / signs new 5 year contract

Status
Not open for further replies.

jesperjaap

Weird take. He played in the PL in 15-16. He’s been easily their best player for years now.
Exactly, no guarantee any player will make it at Manchester United. But he has played premiership as a very young player and you could see ability he did ok. He has been one of the best players in the league this season and as you point out easily the best player at Villa and in the championship for years. I think (maybe partly his love of Villa and off field antics) he should have moved a good year or two back and has been one of the most under rated players in this country for some time until this season. I remember many scoffed at Spurs beign linked with him a year or two back, I wasnt one

lex talionis

If we have £150m to spend I doubt we’d be paying the full price for Sancho and grealish up front anyway. So we’d most likely pay out £70m - £90m in initial payments this summer. Plenty of room when you factor in up to 5 will leave
I’m not that optimistic we’ll get a lot from the sale of Jones, Rojo, Lingard and Sanchez. It seems quite possible we’ll bring Smalling back for depth after offloading Jones and Rojo.

But let’s say we bring in 20m from the sale of all four. I still wouldn’t want to blow 50m+ for Grealish to fill out the squad.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Slump in form from Fernandes the last four games been dramatic, let hope its just a dip as there have been bigger names and talents than Fernandes that have started of well and failed here....Veron, DiMaria beign the main ones.

As for Grealish, yes I agree with you wholeheartedly and personally find it moronic people saying Grealish is an expensive mistake to sit on the bench.

He is potentially a big talent, we have never seen him surrounded by better players so dont know just how big that talent can become. That is due to his love of Villa and off field problems at times.

But I also think he would start regularly, it isnt even about who is better as a player which I wont go into but he offers something different that we dont have in Pogbas position, in Fernandes position, in Rashfords position and even in Greenwoods current position so great competition and as we have seen there have been times all of thes players have been really poor, personally I think he gets lots of games
Completely agree..

His ball retention and dribbling is superb and he would gives us more control and penetration in the final third.

Idxomer

He's been great whenever I watched him this season so writing him off as not all that is a bit moronic.

Parallels to Tevez keeping WHU up singlehandedly.
Anyone who watched him closely says the same, I believe he's all that and we don't have anyone like him the squad.

Last edited:

0le

We've got to sign him along with Sancho. These two players would give us the necessary depth to go to the next level - not necessarily a title challenge but competing for second/third rather than labouring to secure CL qualification.

MattofManchester

Seems more unlikely that he'll stay now, doesn't it? He loves Villa too much to request to leave, and we shouldn't be spending more than 40 odd on him.

Interesting to see what happens next.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Just where he’s been playing really.
Doesn't mean he can't be used in Bruno's role when Bruno got injured though. Everytime Bruno got subbed off, he's been pushed further advance to play in Bruno's role, twice already since the restart which including today.

fps

Doesn't mean he can't be used in Bruno's role when Bruno got injured though. Everytime Bruno got subbed off, he's been pushed further advance to play in Bruno's role, twice already since the restart which including today.
Yes, again this creates a hole further back though, hence the need for greater depth.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
I disagree. He’s served his time at Villa and will want to take the next step. I think he’ll be desperate for a transfer.
It's like Zaha last season. Served his time at Palace, desperate for transfer and no club was willing to pay the fees they were asking last season. I think it's fair to say this is depending on how much Villa put the price on him and also what's Grealish ambition, playing regular week in week out or be a squad player watching Bruno from the bench.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Yes, again this creates a hole further back though, hence the need for greater depth.
Not sure how is that creating hole further back. We pretty much been securing results with Fred & Matic/McTominay pivot.

fps

Not sure how is that creating hole further back. We pretty much been securing results with Fred & Matic/McTominay pivot.
Because they’re not as good there as Pogba. I like them and hope McTominay especially progresses his game. I don’t think Pogba in the more advanced role is going to be tried much, he’s not that quick dynamic player, he’s the killer pass on the changeover guy. Just my feeling.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Because they’re not as good there as Pogba. I like them and hope McTominay especially progresses his game. I don’t think Pogba in the more advanced role is going to be tried much, he’s not that quick dynamic player, he’s the killer pass on the changeover guy. Just my feeling.
And Grealish isn't as good as Bruno.

End of the day, we need to spend the available money wisely not just waste on just any players who are available.

Classical Mechanic

It's like Zaha last season. Served his time at Palace, desperate for transfer and no club was willing to pay the fees they were asking last season. I think it's fair to say this is depending on how much Villa put the price on him and also what's Grealish ambition, playing regular week in week out or be a squad player watching Bruno from the bench.
I’ve said before but I think the £40m clause is true. Given what happened with the Spurs transfer. I’ve also said that I think he’d give his left bollock to sign for us whatever. We need to get in a position like City with top class squad options. Grealish is desperate to play for England too and a transfer to United would help him massively.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
I’ve said before but I think the £40m clause is true. Given what happened with the Spurs transfer. I’ve also said that I think he’d give his left bollock to sign for us whatever. We need to get in a position like City with top class squad options. Grealish is desperate to play for England too and a transfer to United would help him massively.
If he's desperate to play for England I'm sure he would rather join a club that let him to play regularly rather than sitting on the bench.

ayushreddevil9

Foootball hinders the adrenaline of transfers.
He looks like a player ready to take the step up. We should definitely try to get him. Proper Fergie signing.

Dan_F

Someone I used to work with knows a few of the players at Villa, and said it’s pretty nailed on that was his last game. Going off that and the post match comments from the manager, I’d say there’s already an understanding in place that he’s leaving.

He’s just gained Villa how much for keeping them up? I don’t think they are going to be looking for more than £50 million.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
He won’t be sitting the bench all the time. It’s a squad game these days and injuries will see him play a lot.
Bruno is basically like Liverpool's Salah/Mane. I expect him to be one of our top 3 key players and will likely to play as a starter 30+ league games & 40-50 in all comp. Sure there is injuries but long term injuries isn't something you are hoping for from your key player and very rarely happen to players who are not known as injury prone. Take a look at on Coutinho & Perisic at Bayern this season (both played as a starter in the league 15x & 11x), I expect Grealish to play the same amount (10-15 league starters) which is not enough if you are desperate to play for England. If Arsenal & Spurs are coming in, I'm pretty sure he would rather join them. Even at Liverpool he has better chance to get regular games replacing Wijnaldum & Ox than Bruno.

I have no issue with signing Grealish. Who doesn't want to have good bench but at the same time if 40m or 45m is his release clause then lot of clubs will be in for him not just United, and he would choose to join a team that can guarantee him the most regular spot for sure to secure England squad for Euro.

SATA

I think he’s definitely leaving. To where we don’t know. His manager’s comments sounds like they know today was his last game and they have a mutual understanding on that

beingshe7don

Someone I used to work with knows a few of the players at Villa, and said it’s pretty nailed on that was his last game. Going off that and the post match comments from the manager, I’d say there’s already an understanding in place that he’s leaving.

He’s just gained Villa how much for keeping them up? I don’t think they are going to be looking for more than £50 million.
Just because he's leaving does not mean he's coming to United. That being said, I would have liked to have Grealish in place of Rashford play against Leicester today.

Classical Mechanic

Bruno is basically like Liverpool's Salah/Mane. I expect him to be one of our top 3 key players and will likely to play as a starter 30+ league games & 40-50 in all comp. Sure there is injuries but long term injuries isn't something you are hoping for from your key player and very rarely happen to players who are not known as injury prone. Take a look at on Coutinho & Perisic at Bayern this season (both played as a starter in the league 15x & 11x), I expect Grealish to play the same amount (10-15 league starters) which is not enough if you are desperate to play for England. If Arsenal & Spurs are coming in, I'm pretty sure he would rather join them. Even at Liverpool he has better chance to get regular games replacing Wijnaldum & Ox than Bruno.

I have no issue with signing Grealish. Who doesn't want to have good bench but at the same time if 40m or 45m is his release clause then lot of clubs will be in for him not just United, and he would choose to join a team that can guarantee him the most regular spot for sure to secure England squad for Euro.
Grealish can play as an 7,8, 10 & 11. Over the course of a season there’d be plenty of opportunity for him. Not sure which other Champion League side could be in for him apart from City.

gajender

Grealish can play as an 7,8, 10 & 11. Over the course of a season there’d be plenty of opportunity for him. Not sure which other Champion League side could be in for him apart from City.
There is some serious underrating of Grealish going on in this thread he is absolutely capable of making himself first team regular not just a rotation option for United and he would certainly back himself to do so if he signs for Us hopefully we are in for him.

The Irish Connection

Grealish keeps the ball a bit like David Silva. Would be a good signing to improve our depth, but obviously price would be a factor.

Classical Mechanic

There is some serious underrating of Grealish going on in this thread he is absolutely capable of making himself first team regular not just a rotation option for United and he would certainly back himself to do so if he signs for Us hopefully we are in for him.
That’s the other thing. He should back himself to win a starting spot.

Jack-C20

Got weird feelings about Grealish. Feels like the sort of guy who if we signed for 60 million would flop massively but would absolutely be amazing for a rival if signed by them. If we picked him up for 30 - 40 million though, I think he’d be a really good signing.

I don’t know if that makes any sense.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Not sure what's the difference between 11 & 7 there, he actually never play on the right side (if that's what you meant).

Same goes with Sancho, he can play 11, 7, & 10. If Rashford got injured, Sancho is better option than Grealish to replace him and Greenwood is better option than Grealish on the right. If Bruno got injured, Pogba & Sancho are better option to replace him. To me this is just depending on what he's aiming for, gotta be careful to choose the club if his aim is to get into that England squad for Euro.

Classical Mechanic

Not sure what's the difference between 11 & 7 there, he actually never play on the right side (if that's what you meant).

Same goes with Sancho, he can play 11, 7, & 10. If Rashford got injured, Sancho is better option than Grealish to replace him and Greenwood is better option than Grealish on the right. If Bruno got injured, Pogba & Sancho are better option to replace him. To me this is just depending on what he's aiming for, gotta be careful to choose the club if his aim is to get into that England squad for Euro.
He doesn’t play on the right often but he has done in the past. City had Sane, Sterling, Foden, Mahrez and B Silva just for their wide positions this season. If you’re going seriously to win every competition then they all get game time.

It’s not the same as Sancho because Grealish has played all over central midfield in his career too. If one of Bruno or Pogba is injured and you want more craft against low block sides then Grealish can cover them. If you want to play 4-3-3 he can play as an 8 in that formation too.

Fahad Jawaid

Its certainly an important summer for us. We can sit on our laurels and fight for 4th/5th place again our cement ourselves as challengers for the title.

Today for example even the likes of Leicester had Gray and Barnes on the bench plus Maddison out. Can anybody honestly tell me with a straight face that any of our bench players are better than these? Look at Chelsea their bench is soo strong and they have already signed Ziyech and Werner with Havertz to join them.

Firstly, Its important to get rid of players who are there to make up numbers without actually contributing nothing.

Its telling that Ole ran the players to the ground but never made changes in these last few matches. It shows he does trust Ighalo, Mata, Lingard, Perreira, Fred etc. Plus we have several other players which need to be moved on with Jones, Smalling, Rojo and Sanchez that is 9 players which are required to be moved on and we wont miss them.

The amount being pessimistic i believe these 9 players will fetch;

Smalling 20m (including loan fee etc)
Sanchez (10m with Inter finally covering his wages)
Lingard 15m
Jones 8m
Rojo 5m
Mata free transfer
Perriera 10m
Ighalo loan move ending
Fred 25m

Total outs approximately 95 million, lets say we get around 90m only.

We need to go out and spend this 90m on Sancho to give us elite trickery and dribbling ability which we lack.

Whereas our 100m budget could be spent on Thiago 30m, konate/Upecemano 40m and around 30m for Lb/Rb cover somebody who is amazing going forward like Alex Telles.

Thiago is an interesting one, i belive he is not only going to help us playing out from the back. We can rotate him with Bruno, Pogba easily. Plus we can play all of them in champions league or tougher matches where ball retention is paramount. My first 11 next seasom would be a diamond;

Martial Sancho
Bruno
Pogba Thiago
Matic
Shaw Maguire Upecamano/Konate Awb
DDG

Bench: Rashford, Greenwood, Mctominay, Lindelof, Telles, Romero and James

It also leaves us atleast 3 subs which can come on and change the game for us (Greenwood, Rashford and Telles) plus Mctominay or Lindelof as defensive subs.

Status
Not open for further replies.