Jack Grealish / signs new 5 year contract

Status
Not open for further replies.

sherrinford

Completely disagree. Who's better than Wan-Bissaka in his position except TAA?
Ricardo Pereira, and why does it matter? Were Alexander-Arnold to be the only superior right back in the league with there being multiple great creative players you would have over Grealish it wouldn't mean the former was better than the latter - it would mean the right backs in the league are poor.

Dahmmy

Grealish - villa asking for 80, because really they want 60ish and will bite our hands off for that..

why?
cos apparently his contract has a buyout clause for £40m....(im from Birmingham, so we hear things here and there: :))
and im sure united know this too...

macheda14

There being other quality creative midfielders and a comparative lack of quality right backs in the league doesn't make Wan-Bissaka a better player. Grealish is closer to the top two in his position than Wan-Bissaka is in his.
He’s hands down the best defensive right back in the league. And going by most pundits’ opinion he’s one of the best defensive right backs in the world. You might not rate Carra as a pundit, but you didn’t really hear anyone argue when he said that AWB is the best one on one defender around right now.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
We should stay a way. Even 40mil is too much to spend these days on bench player. If they want swap players than ok, but otherwise maybe we should look somewhere else.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
One is a starter and the other will be expected to come off the bench. He's also nowhere near as good, relatively-speaking, as Wan-Bissaka.

To top it all off, we have a different financial climate and there's also cheaper options who are arguably better. Arsenal are scoffing at paying £50m for Partey and Van de Beek can be had for less with less hassle.

I don't see why people are so stuck up on Grealish.
These are all speculative. What fact is, we bought a one year PL experienced fullback from a smaller team, with no international experience for 50+m.

Also, what we expect Grealish will become (starter or bench), doesn't matter a bit for Villa's evaluation.

pascell

£40m is a bargain, he'd improve the overall squad massively. Imagine having to rely on the likes of Pereira and Lingard next season when we're having to rotate frequently. He'd also provide competition for places and push those in the positions he plays in to perform better.

No brainer for me, I think he'd thrive at United.

croadyman

Grealish - villa asking for 80, because really they want 60ish and will bite our hands off for that..

why?
cos apparently his contract has a buyout clause for £40m....(im from Birmingham, so we hear things here and there: :))
and im sure united know this too...
What is your take on how you think this is going to pan out and do you still think he honestly has a buyout clause that low now they have managed to avoid relegation

jesperjaap

Ricardo Pereira, and why does it matter? Were Alexander-Arnold to be the only superior right back in the league with there being multiple great creative players you would have over Grealish it wouldn't mean the former was better than the latter - it would mean the right backs in the league are poor.
Pereira has been excellent for Leicester....but he is the modern right back, he isnt very good defensively

TheHeya

We should stay a way. Even 40mil is too much to spend these days on bench player. If they want swap players than ok, but otherwise maybe we should look somewhere else.
This is the world we live in now. To compete you need a squad with quality. To get players of quality you need to spend. You say look elsewhere but where are we to look? Our scouting has been shocking the last 5 years or so and we’ve only just nailed down a starting 11 exc Sancho with emphasis now being on improving the bench making sure when they play these players are capable of winning us the game

Just from the top of my head squad players from the current top 2. £40M for a prem proven yet to hit prime player doesn’t look too bad compared to just a few of the squad players from our main rivals.

B.Silva £45m
Cancelo £60m
Keita £53m

sherrinford

He’s hands down the best defensive right back in the league. And going by most pundits’ opinion he’s one of the best defensive right backs in the world. You might not rate Carra as a pundit, but you didn’t really hear anyone argue when he said that AWB is the best one on one defender around right now.
He is one of the best around at defending one on one near the touchline, yes. A list of his strengths end there though. If he doesn't have a direct opponent who maintains a wide position and looks to run at him with the ball he doesn't know what he's doing.

Grealish may not be particularly necessary and he may be too expensive to justify bringing him in, but he's a top player and Wan Bissaka is not.

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
What is your take on how you think this is going to pan out and do you still think he honestly has a buyout clause that low now they have managed to avoid relegation
The reported clause was £45m Dean Smith reiterated it was rubbish and no player had a sum of money or a fixed figure.

What is more likely is he has a clause to enable his release. Like the club must entertain offers over X amount?

croadyman

The reported clause was £45m Dean Smith reiterated it was rubbish and no player had a sum of money or a fixed figure.

What is more likely is he has a clause to enable his release. Like the club must entertain offers over X amount?
Yeah true but think that figure is certainly less than £80m though

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
Yeah true but think that figure is certainly less than £80m though
I would sooner sit in the home end at Anfield in full United kit than pay £80m for Grealish. He’s never in a million years worth that.

I’d imagine £45m has a half truth in it maybe that is the number to bring people to the negotiating table but Villa are posturing a lot about having rich owners and wanting to build a side etc

croadyman

I would sooner sit in the home end at Anfield in full United kit than pay £80m for Grealish. He’s never in a million years worth that.

I’d imagine £45m has a half truth in it maybe that is the number to bring people to the negotiating table but Villa are posturing a lot about having rich owners and wanting to build a side etc
I am sticking to my prediction of £50-£55m with addons

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
This is the world we live in now. To compete you need a squad with quality. To get players of quality you need to spend. You say look elsewhere but where are we to look? Our scouting has been shocking the last 5 years or so and we’ve only just nailed down a starting 11 exc Sancho with emphasis now being on improving the bench making sure when they play these players are capable of winning us the game

Just from the top of my head squad players from the current top 2. £40M for a prem proven yet to hit prime player doesn’t look too bad compared to just a few of the squad players from our main rivals.

B.Silva £45m
Cancelo £60m
Keita £53m
To be fair though Keita wasn't signed to be a squad player. He's a bit like Fred, supposed to play regular when the manager signed them but just not working out at the moment.

B.Silva was always gonna get lot of game times, D.Silva was in his thirties after all. But then again when you have arab money, I supposed spend 60m on Cancelo isn't a big deal.

Although I agree with £40m. Imo is a max ideal price to be squad players. Ox Chamberlain cost £35m, that's the ideal fees for squad player imo.

Rocksy

Supports
Blackburn Rovers
I think he’d be a good signing and not bad value. He’d be a massive improvement over Lingard, Pereira etc and I think against low block teams he could also go in ahead of Fred/McT and give a lot more quality from deep.

Bruno will also need a bit of rest given what you saw the last few games of the season and that his real level might be a little lower than he was showing in his first games (no shame in that).

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
No one is paying 80m even in a normal market, much less now. At most it will be 40m, or we will look elsewhere.
Yeh and we thought no one would be paying 80m for Maguire last summer too, before we made that happen! It all depends on how much we want him.

jamesjimmybyrondean

B.Silva £45m
Cancelo £60m
Keita £53m
Bernardo Silva is basically like how we signed Martial for 50m. A young player with potential to grow and be world's best.

Keita was signed to be a starter

I can agree on Cancelo but wasn't that deal 35m + Danilo who City didn't rate

So this isn't really the world we live in now. 40m for a squad player should really be the max for us. Any amount higher then we should just go get Partey who will improve our starting 11.

Everybody and their nan knows we need squad depth but that doesn't mean we should overspend on one when there are other good and cheaper alternatives

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Its always been the same case with players' valuation for us vs sellers club:

Maguire: our initial valuation 55m, Leicester asking price 80m (we end up paying 80m)
Longstaff: our initial valuation 15m, Newcastle asking price 50m (deal is off)
Grealish: our initial valuation 40m, Aston Villa asking price 80m (?)

RUCK4444

He is one of the best around at defending one on one near the touchline, yes. A list of his strengths end there though. If he doesn't have a direct opponent who maintains a wide position and looks to run at him with the ball he doesn't know what he's doing.

Grealish may not be particularly necessary and he may be too expensive to justify bringing him in, but he's a top player and Wan Bissaka is not.
Disagree, if you strip back what one should expect from a fullback (or any defender) Wan Bissaka is first class - i.e. he's a first class defender. Ya know, what he's actually paid to do first and foremost, not some Trent regen who will cost you goals as much as provide them.

Nobody in Europe is as good at tackling in that RB position, I haven't checked the numbers but I'm confident that's most likely the case. He's improved to some degree going forward and will hopefully continue to improve, noted he has had a few poor games recently but the whole starting 11 have dipped.

We've needed a solid base to continue building, AWB is a big part of that solidity.

macheda14

Maguire: our initial valuation 55m, Leicester asking price 80m (we end up paying 80m)
Apart from the fact that it has been well reported that Leicester wanted 90 million.

Relevated

fixated with venom and phalluses
This guy would be great at playing against smaller teams because he's coming from one. No offence.

sp_107

Deal,off, we can have players like VanBeek for 45M

I have a feeling Grealish transfer might end up like Mikitarian,Schneiderlin, Deepay.

Great players for their previous clubs but failed at UTD

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag

You pay the money if you really need the player. We were desperate for a new centre back and Maguire was signed to be our regular centre back.

Grealish is just for squad player. We already have Bruno, Pogba and if we sign Sancho who can play in his position, thus, we are not in desperate to sign the guy and this is the beauty that we don't need to force ourselves to meet the asking price or overpay him.

Womp

idiot
I wonder if the same people that don't rate AWB also don't rate Ndidi just cause he can't ping a ball
Ndidi is good at a lot more than he is bad. AWB is (currently) only good enough at defending for a team with our aspirations. It's not really comparable.

Off topic though. I agree with the sentiment in here that anything over 40m isn't worth it. We could sign two 40m players to fill in the squad instead of Grealish.

DannyDee

I have a hard time forking over 60m for a player who isn't going to walk into the first XI, especially when that player is already entering their prime (so, it is not a youth you expect to grow into a first XI role). Granted, that's more symbolic of the modern economics of the game. We paid a fortune for Maguire and AWB, but that was to fill clear holes and for first XI roles. I'd obviously be happy with Grealish as an extra option for Pogba or Bruno's roles, and also as an outright 10 in matches, we field a 4-2-3-1. Personally though, while he probably comes with more risk as he's not EPL proven, I feel VDB makes more sense given he's likely cheaper (35m to 40m), and he seems more comfortable playing deeper while providing rotation for Pogba and Bruno, with the chance to spell Matic occasionally.

I don't know what the point in paying for a scouting staff if we can't find good rotational squad options for between 25m-40m.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Disagree, if you strip back what one should expect from a fullback (or any defender) Wan Bissaka is first class - i.e. he's a first class defender. Ya know, what he's actually paid to do first and foremost, not some Trent regen who will cost you goals as much as provide them.

Nobody in Europe is as good at tackling in that RB position, I haven't checked the numbers but I'm confident that's most likely the case. He's improved to some degree going forward and will hopefully continue to improve, noted he has had a few poor games recently but the whole starting 11 have dipped.

We've needed a solid base to continue building, AWB is a big part of that solidity.
For top teams, the on the ball and attacking role is pretty much more important from a fullback. Pretty much any big club would take an average player defensively if they were brilliant at attacking as a fullback, over one who is average going forward but brilliant defensively.

Rolaholic

Why have people started shitting all over Wan Bissaka all of a sudden?

Because he doesn’t put as many crosses in as one other right-back he’s no use? feck off.
TAA envy I reckon, the expectation for FB's suddenly seems to be to put up double digit assist/goal numbers a season when that's never been the case ever

Scholsey2004

Deal,off, we can have players like VanBeek for 45M

I have a feeling Grealish transfer might end up like Mikitarian,Schneiderlin, Deepay.

Great players for their previous clubs but failed at UTD
Van De Beek is statistically only the 14th best player in the Eredivisie. Anyone who spends £45m on him is going to get a rude awakening. His stats really aren't that great. He's a £25m utility player imo.

DannyDee

Van De Beek is statistically only the 14th best player in the Eredivisie. Anyone who spends £45m on him is going to get a rude awakening. His stats really aren't that great. He's a £25m utility player imo.
I think that is a bit of a misrepresentation. For example, he still grades out higher than Teun Koopmeiners when actually playing CM/DM, who is 11th, and the only other primary CM above him is Fredrick Midtsjo who is about to turn 27, wheres VDB just turned 23. I don't think we are buying him as a world-beater if we do purchase him. Its more to add something in the middle of the park that has better distribution and creativity than Fred, with the hope he possibly develops into a good starter.

Grealish is a very interesting player, but at the prices being thrown around, and the fact he plays a more advanced role (making him not ideal to rotate with Pogba or Matic) makes me skeptical about the cost. Now, if the Sancho deal falls apart, then I understand a big move for Grealish over VDB as he would give us much needed depth behind Martial for Rashford, Greenwood and Bruno's spots. But, if we get Sancho, I believe we should prioritize a CM who is more comfortable in a less-advanced role, not that has to be Van De Beek.

SinNombre

What stats are these?

croadyman

I still reckon the price tag media stuff could be like we saw with Bruno back in January.

I appreciate we paid the near asking prices for both AWB & Maguire but even they had higher figures initially too.

Cooper is still talking about it on the podcast as a possibility and isn't following other journos theory that it was dependent on Pogba leaving either.

Just seen an article suggesting we value him at £45m plus £10m addons so think we would increase it to maybe £50m plus £10m-£15m addons.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.