Jack Grealish

Status
Not open for further replies.

binary bot
Twitter fanboys are quite something. Spend all day trying to prove their favourite player is better than the competition.

Happens with Rashford/Abraham and countless others.

Looks like Leicester/Villa have a rivalry now due to Maddison and Grealish :lol:

Last edited:

Red00012

Twitter fanboys are quite something. Spend all day trying to prove their favourite player is better than the competition.

Happens with Rashford/Abraham and countless others.

Looks like Leicester/Villa have a now rivalry now due to Maddison and Grealish :lol:
That united daily person on Twitter / Snapchat is obsessed with Rashford/ Abraham comparisons :lol:

Walters_19_MuFc

He's not really an 8 for us though. That's McGinn.

I do get what you and others are saying as eventually he could mature further and build up play from deeper but atm it's important he's as close to the box as possible so currently left with licence to drift in or as a number 10.

Can't see Southgate altering his approach for the euros. He likes two sitters and then attackers with pace infront. For World cup you had Henderson and Dier although I very much you'll see that in the euros but since then likes of Winks and Delph have had starts. If Phil Foden can actually start games somewhere I wouldn't put it past him to have a late run into the team.

Long term there may be something in going say Henderson-Grealish-Maddison/Ali plus the three forwards but England are nowhere near strong enough at the back against the best teams to play like that, likes of Belgium and France would just play through those midfields.
I know you're a Villa fan, so I don't want to argue over the positioning of Grealish too much, but he and McGinn both definately played as 8's with at the start of the season, with Hourihane or Luiz behind them. Actually, you could argue Grealish was deeper, as he prefers to go and collect the ball and dictate, whilst McGinn runs in behind. As you said, however, his quality in the final third means its vital that he's closer to the box.

Be interesting to see what Southate does. Again, like Villa, Souhgate plays with one holding player and two number 8's. A box to box player, with a playmaker; Henderson and Barkley normally filling those spots, respectively.

Going forward, as you said, it'll all depend on the team England face that will determine what midfield Southgate puts out.

jeff gurr

Supports
Leicester City
I know you're a Villa fan, so I don't want to argue over the positioning of Grealish too much, but he and McGinn both definately played as 8's with at the start of the season, with Hourihane or Luiz behind them. Actually, you could argue Grealish was deeper, as he prefers to go and collect the ball and dictate, whilst McGinn runs in behind. As you said, however, his quality in the final third means its vital that he's closer to the box.

Be interesting to see what Southate does. Again, like Villa, Souhgate plays with one holding player and two number 8's. A box to box player, with a playmaker; Henderson and Barkley normally filling those spots, respectively.

Going forward, as you said, it'll all depend on the team England face that will determine what midfield Southgate puts out.
Southgate doesn't know how to use players that don't fit into his little boxes. To even imagine starting Ross Barkley ahead of either Grealish or Madisson is just embarrassing .

Womp

idiot
I like Grealish. Think he's best when he plays off the wide positions though, so not sure if we want to sign another playmaker who seems more comfortable playing out wide.

Winzaghi

Supports
Aston Villa
That's fair, though I'd like to think it's not. I love John McGinn to bits for example, but I think Maddison is the better player. Jack is on a different level to both of them. He's the most talented English midfielder since Scholes imo, and like I said it's only a matter of time before this becomes common knowledge. Such talent can only stay hidden for so long.
Gonna have a bit of a gloat here :D

I got laughed out of the room a year ago for posting this. Knew Jack's class would always shine through. He's easily the best player I've ever seen at the club. So glad we've got quality around him now.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Wish we went for him harder over the summer. Looks brilliant this season

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
Forget Sancho. This is the signing we should make. Just way too good.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Two threads about him running live, only on the Caf. :lol:

Few on our forums were actually wanting him to be subbed with 10 minutes left to give him a breather but he was having way too much fun out there.

In any case he'll get his cameo 5 minutes for England over next two weeks.:nono:

Still ill

Fantasy Football Champ 2018
Yeah, he seems to have gone to a different level this season. No doubt the signing of Barkley and Watkins is helping him shine. Would love him here.

Chief123

Gonna have a bit of a gloat here :D

I got laughed out of the room a year ago for posting this. Knew Jack's class would always shine through. He's easily the best player I've ever seen at the club. So glad we've got quality around him now.
Fair play mate. He’s looked absolutely brilliant this season! Astonishing how we can’t fit him into the England team on a regular basis.

Chief123

Yeah, he seems to have gone to a different level this season. No doubt the signing of Barkley and Watkins is helping him shine. Would love him here.
It’s the case with a lot of talented players at smaller clubs. When they get surrounded by top class players they look even better.

Look at Jota for example. He’s gone up another level albeit a few games. But he really has looked good.

Still ill

Fantasy Football Champ 2018
It’s the case with a lot of talented players at smaller clubs. When they get surrounded by top class players they look even better.

Look at Jota for example. He’s gone up another level albeit a few games. But he really has looked good.
True enough. You'd be interested to see how he'd interact with our attacking options.

ayushreddevil9

Foootball hinders the adrenaline of transfers.
Imagine if we got Oles targets in Sancho and Grealish

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
I remember when people were saying he wouldn't get in our starting 11.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Fair play mate. He’s looked absolutely brilliant this season! Astonishing how we can’t fit him into the England team on a regular basis.
On current form he should really start over rashford and Sterling tbh

Chief123

When Grealish is being compared to Scholes, I don't think this what he had in mind.

Class player though
Id say comparisons with Scholes are a bit far fetched right now. Very different kind of players anyway.

But right now surely Grealish should be getting in the first eleven at least as a number 10 or attacking midfielder. If Sterling and Sancho are first choice wingers, Grealish is good enough to play behind them and Kane. When the likes of Mount are getting ahead of Grealish it just seems strange.

Chief123

I agree. Both Rashford and sterling have really dropped off from the levels they were at.

Despite how good Rashford can be I’ve just never felt completely comfortable with Rashford as a winger. It’s a strange one because he can be a genius on his day but then sometimes looks really awkward on the wing.

Sterling certainly has dropped off from where he was at one point around 12-18 months ago.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Sancho hasn't done much in an England shirt compared to those two.

Still don't see why you couldn't still play front 3 and Jack in number 10 role. Yes you might not play that v a France or Germany but vast majority of teams England play over a two year cycle in qualification and nations league they should play that system e.g. home to Iceland.

Adam-Utd

I agree. Both Rashford and sterling have really dropped off from the levels they were at.

Despite how good Rashford can be I’ve just never felt completely comfortable with Rashford as a winger. It’s a strange one because he can be a genius on his day but then sometimes looks really awkward on the wing.

Sterling certainly has dropped off from where he was at one point around 12-18 months ago.
I feel like grealishs ability to win fouls and carry the ball is really suited to international football. He will help England keep possession better than all the other options out wide. Can always sub in the faster players once the game gets stretched.

Adam-Utd

Sancho hasn't done much in an England shirt compared to those two.

Still don't see why you couldn't still play front 3 and Jack in number 10 role. Yes you might not play that v a France or Germany but vast majority of teams England play over a two year cycle in qualification and nations league they should play that system e.g. home to Iceland.
Could well play him as a 10 also, but then they’ve got mason mount :wenger:

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
Got to feel for Ole a bit. The 3 players he's wanted to sign the most in 2020 and the club got none of them for him. Haaland, Grealish n Sancho.

And you could chuck Bellingham in there too as well perhaps.

This 4231 that he now seems more content with would be much better with Grealish or Sancho in for Mata.

Now I said Sancho was always going to be tough to sign in a pandemic but there's no excuse for Grealish. That deal could have been made. VDB n that Traore deal would have covered it.

Woodward n Judge are the biggest problem at the club.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Could well play him as a 10 also, but then they’ve got mason mount :wenger:
Mount's an easy target but he's done very well himself last 18 months from championship to establishing himself in top 4 team.

More annoying when you look back at England line ups for the Iceland and Denmark games in September. Created pretty much nothing from open play in those two.

Adam-Utd

Mount's an easy target but he's done very well himself last 18 months from championship to establishing himself in top 4 team.

More annoying when you look back at England line ups for the Iceland and Denmark games in September. Created pretty much nothing from open play in those two.
It’s a bit of a running joke that Southgate loves mount, when he was asked last time grealish played he said he was ok, but mount was great :lol:

I suspect he won’t be able to ignore him for much longer though.

wolvored

Got to feel for Ole a bit. The 3 players he's wanted to sign the most in 2020 and the club got none of them for him. Haaland, Grealish n Sancho.

This 4231 that he now seems more content with would be much better with Grealish or Sancho in for Mata.

Now I said Sancho was always going to be tough to sign in a pandemic but there's no excuse for Grealish. That deal could have been made. VDB n that Traore deal would have covered it.

Look how much they were gonna cost, well over £200 million. We dont want another cheque book manager.

Tapori

Said it before and I'll say it again.
SAF would have signed him.

A throwback to the 90s.

Let's see how he deals with the expecations.
Alos: Southgate is a fool.

Nights

Those 3 would be north of 200m quid not to mention the crazy wages.

As soon as they stayed up, Villa wanted 80m for Grealish which is an exorbitant price.

Cloud7

I remember when people were saying he wouldn't get in our starting 11.
I’ll admit, I was one of those. During the transfer break I thought he would have been just a rotation player for us based on last season. This season he’s definitely gone up a level though and I’m happy to admit I’m wrong and he would definitely warrant a starting place for us.

Crazy that he can’t seem to find a spot in the England team.

Cloud7

The 80 million for Graelish and 120 million for Sancho were not realistic during the summer gone with the revenue lost due to Covid. Villa had no reason to accept anything lower than their demands for Graelish.

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
It’s a bit of a running joke that Southgate loves mount, when he was asked last time grealish played he said he was ok, but mount was great :lol:

I suspect he won’t be able to ignore him for much longer though.
Yeah I think a lot of this originates from when Mount was being played as a left winger earlier this year - and to be fair to Southgate, this was because Lampard was more or less shoehorning him into the side given his importance to Chelsea (much to the chagrin of most Chelsea fans at the time). It's pretty clear Mount's best position is as an 8 in a 3 man midfield - he's been terrific for us there since we moved to this system. Grealish is more suited to a wide left role and it's very silly to pick Mount over him for that position.

It'll be interesting to see what England do - if they want to pin the opposition back, then Rashford is the obvious choice. If they want someone willing to drop deeper and carry the ball through midfield to support the opposite winger staying higher (e.g. someone like Sancho), then Grealish would make a lot of sense.

Chief123

I feel like grealishs ability to win fouls and carry the ball is really suited to international football. He will help England keep possession better than all the other options out wide. Can always sub in the faster players once the game gets stretched.
That reminds of Souness saying last season saying that he doesn’t rate Grealish because of the stat that shows he is the most fouled player in the league. He felt like that stat showed he held on to the ball too much! :confused: He does come out with some bonkers!

Mustaine96

If he were left footed, he would fit like a glove for United, playing on the right side cutting inside.

But as a right footed, in can't see place for him here. We already had good options for the left wing, and i can't see the team playing with both of Bruno and him in the midfield, as offensive CM's in a 433.

Highfather_24

Would do well in the Mata role, off the left for us. Would be a better option than Rashford. He is the kind of intelligent and creative player, who would help us unlock tight defences, also he is very press resistant. He is a better outfield player than anyone bar Bruno in our squad.

---------McT---Fred
Mason--Bruno--Grealish
------------ Martial

Covid will hit every club. We should table a 60-70M bid to Aston Villa at the end of the season. Grealish likes Utd, wants to play at OT and would be a great #7 for us.

ROFLUTION

I love this player. Brave, flamboyant and a leader.
He's exactly that. He's such United material and what we need leader-wise.

But no worries, we have an amazing transfer-committee and Ed being very very pro-active will surely make us.... consider.. him next year :wenger:

Status
Not open for further replies.