Jack Grealish

Status
Not open for further replies.

POF

Grealish has been fantastic for Villa so far this season. What really surprised me about him is his pace. He looked rapid vs City, running down Sterling on one occasion and regularly burning the City defence on the break.

He's such a technical player and usually tries to play a controlled tempo that you don't notice his pace that often but moving him back into the front 3 was a master stroke. He's a huge threat on the counter attack.

I can see why he declared for England. He only has Sterling, Rashford, Sancho, Hudson Odoi and Mount to get past. He was never going to get in the Ireland side ahead of James McClean!

andersj

Nick Powell Expert
Almost hard to accept that he is only 24. Been around for such a long time. He is two years older, but also better than Maddison.

Talent wise it is always difficult to assess. Maddison is probably better than Grealish was at the same age. But Grealish build and power is something else. He is also more flexible tactically in my opinion.

cjj

Supports
Spurs
On the spurs side, when we were inches away from signing him a couple of summers ago I think I was one of the minority that was excited about it. So many experts on the spurs forums thought he was just a crap "levy bargain" etc. and that we'd be mental to actually pay more than £15m for him.

Now, pretty much the same proportion mention him in the context of 'the one that got away' and that he's a £50m player. Forums love a bit of revisionism, though.

fps

On the spurs side, when we were inches away from signing him a couple of summers ago I think I was one of the minority that was excited about it. So many experts on the spurs forums thought he was just a crap "levy bargain" etc. and that we'd be mental to actually pay more than £15m for him.

Now, pretty much the same proportion mention him in the context of 'the one that got away' and that he's a £50m player. Forums love a bit of revisionism, though.
Is there anyone English under the age of 25 who is isn’t a £50m player these days? Not many of them move for £50m!

cjj

Supports
Spurs
Is there anyone English under the age of 25 who is isn’t a £50m player these days? Not many of them move for £50m!
Generally, the answer is "players in the Championship", as he was at that time. I think the same thing was mentioned in one of the United threads in the context of James, and that football fans are too judgemental about the idea of picking up quality players from that level for good prices.

fps

Generally, the answer is "players in the Championship", as he was at that time. I think the same thing was mentioned in one of the United threads in the context of James, and that football fans are too judgemental about the idea of picking up quality players from that level for good prices.
Ah yes, a very fair point. Man Utd have been guilty of this for years of course, waiting to pick up players from rivals, the move AFTER the move where the player proves they’re top level.

Litch

We don't pick players up and people point at the Leicester, and we then sign James and people say we are penny pinching and he won't be ready for the first team. Grelish has something but only playing him amongst better players will so his true level. I do think his image and how he's perceived puts people off.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
We don't pick players up and people point at the Leicester, and we then sign James and people say we are penny pinching and he won't be ready for the first team. Grelish has something but only playing him amongst better players will so his true level. I do think his image and how he's perceived puts people off.
His "image"? He had issues off the pitch 2-3 years ago but has completely sorted that out (think John Terry has been a good help here). Now leads the lifestyle of a top pro with no negative off pitch headlines.

I've also seen some on here have this odd fascination with his hair. You all remember Smalling's attempt 18 months ago?

Litch

His "image"? He had issues off the pitch 2-3 years ago but has completely sorted that out (think John Terry has been a good help here). Now leads the lifestyle of a top pro with no negative off pitch headlines.

I've also seen some on here have this odd fascination with his hair. You all remember Smalling's attempt 18 months ago?
I did say perceived

AkaAkuma

Almost hard to accept that he is only 24. Been around for such a long time. He is two years older, but also better than Maddison.

Talent wise it is always difficult to assess. Maddison is probably better than Grealish was at the same age. But Grealish build and power is something else. He is also more flexible tactically in my opinion.
He's a year older

ThierryHenry

wishes he could watch Arsenal games with KM
Didn't know whether he could make the step up, been have mega impressed with Grealish so far this season. Been Villa's best player, in my opinion.

People will rave about McGinn - I guess he's scored against top opponents, but Grealish is the player that knits everything together for Villa.

I think priority will be most likely getting Maddison, but I honestly wouldn't mind seeing Grealish as a secondary option. As well as the ability, he seems to have the arrogance and swagger about him that tells me he would have the right mentality to make it at a big club.

Actually, I could see Brendan going in for Grealish if we were to get Maddison.
I think he's much better than McGinn and Maddison, I love watching him. He's playing like Jack Wilshere was supposed to, if he was less of an idiot.

Yagami

Good post resistant
I didnt say McGinn just scores against top teams. I said the reason he's possibly been talked about more was because of the fact that he's scored those goals. After all, its the goals that creates headlines.

As you said, the both compliment each other and Villa seem to have a nice balance with the two.
Fair enough! My mistake there :p
I guess you can chalk this down to bias, but I think Grealish is comfortably the better player between him and Maddison. Said the same when they both had those breakout seasons in the Championship, but I guess 20 odd goals is more eye catching.

If Grealish had gotten his move to Spurs last season it wouldn't even be a conversation, but he stuck around to get his boyhood club promoted and took the hit to his recognition. Time will eventually reveal all though.
As someone who rates Grealish very high himself I'd say that's definitely biased!

There's a lot more to Maddison than his goals. Like Grealish, his general play is very good, too. Not much in it, imo.
Grealish has been fantastic for Villa so far this season. What really surprised me about him is his pace. He looked rapid vs City, running down Sterling on one occasion and regularly burning the City defence on the break.

He's such a technical player and usually tries to play a controlled tempo that you don't notice his pace that often but moving him back into the front 3 was a master stroke. He's a huge threat on the counter attack.

I can see why he declared for England. He only has Sterling, Rashford, Sancho, Hudson Odoi and Mount to get past. He was never going to get in the Ireland side ahead of James McClean!
Plus he's English!

lsd

The Oracle
Fair enough! My mistake there :p

As someone who rates Grealish very high himself I'd say that's definitely biased!

There's a lot more to Maddison than his goals. Like Grealish, his general play is very good, too. Not much in it, imo.

Plus he's English!

Iv no problem with playing for your country but if you really feel English then don't play for Ireland teans in the first place

Yagami

Good post resistant
Iv no problem with playing for your country but if you really feel English then don't play for Ireland teans in the first place
I see where you're coming from and it's a fair point. I myself am English but my grandparents were from Ireland (1 from each) so, even though I'm English, I love Ireland and still feel like the country is part of me, so I also don't personally have a problem with Grealish doing what he did. It's nice to have him for England, but I also wouldn't have minded him staying with Ireland because I want them to do well, too.

Winzaghi

Supports
Aston Villa
That's fair, though I'd like to think it's not. I love John McGinn to bits for example, but I think Maddison is the better player. Jack is on a different level to both of them. He's the most talented English midfielder since Scholes imo, and like I said it's only a matter of time before this becomes common knowledge. Such talent can only stay hidden for so long.

lsd

The Oracle
That's fair, though I'd like to think it's not. I love John McGinn to bits for example, but I think Maddison is the better player. Jack is on a different level to both of them. He's the most talented English midfielder since Scholes imo, and like I said it's only a matter of time before this becomes common knowledge. Such talent can only stay hidden for so long.

Well he is certainly doing a great job of hiding it

Winzaghi

Supports
Aston Villa
Well he is certainly doing a great job of hiding it
Playing in the Championship and now a newly promoted side tends to do that. People just aren't really aware of talent outside the Big 6. Kind of forces players to move there for that recognition sadly.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Grealish the most naturally gifted midfielder since Scholes? Blimey, heard it all now. Grealish is a tidy player and I do actually think he's quite good but that level of overrating is mental.

Yagami

Good post resistant
Fair enough, mate! I can't blame you for thinking that because if you can't get excited, and a little ahead of yourself, about a talent as good as Grealish coming through your own academy then when can you? God knows I've done the same regarding United's youth!

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
Don't see it tbh. Just a decent player, but nothing special.

Winzaghi

Supports
Aston Villa
I got clowned for posting this a couple of months ago. To be fair, I was only expecting to revisit this around May, so I'm pleasantly surprised it only took 2 months for the caf to come around on this.

Rasendori

Man Of Culture
Will be interesting to see if he makes the England squad for the Euros. His competition:
Hudson Odoi - 2 assists in 3 appearances on the left
Sancho - 5 goals and 3 assists in 7 appearances on the left
Rashford - 11 goals and 3 assists in 18 appearances on the left
Sterling - 14 goals and 2 assists in 22 appearances on the left
Grealish - 5 goals and 2 assists in 10 appearances on the left

Walters_19_MuFc

Will be interesting to see if he makes the England squad for the Euros. His competition:
Hudson Odoi - 2 assists in 3 appearances on the left
Sancho - 5 goals and 3 assists in 7 appearances on the left
Rashford - 11 goals and 3 assists in 18 appearances on the left
Sterling - 14 goals and 2 assists in 22 appearances on the left
Grealish - 5 goals and 2 assists in 10 appearances on the left
Although Grealish plays on the left for Villa, the way we (England) set up, in that Southgate prefers direct players on the wing, Grealish would most likely be played in as a number 8 in a three man midfield, meaning his competition would therefore be:

James Maddison
Mason Mount
Ross Barkley
Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain

Tough competition, but based on his performances this season, he should be given a chance.

Rasendori

Man Of Culture
Although Grealish plays on the left for Villa, the way we (England) set up, in that Southgate prefers direct players on the wing, Grealish would most likely be played in as a number 8 in a three man midfield, meaning his competition would therefore be:

James Maddison
Mason Mount
Ross Barkley
Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain

Tough competition, but based on his performances this season, he should be given a chance.
Southgate - "He's a very good player - I've watched him closely this season," he said.

"The reality of that is he's up against (Raheem) Sterling, (Marcus) Rashford, (Callum) Hudson-Odoi and (Jadon) Sancho in those wide areas.

The competition in that area is high level - they're all good players, Jack's a very good player - I worked with him in the under-21s so I know all about him."

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa

James Maddison
Mason Mount
Ross Barkley
Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain

Dele Alli will be back in the squad for euros aswell imo.

Walters_19_MuFc

Southgate - "He's a very good player - I've watched him closely this season," he said.

"The reality of that is he's up against (Raheem) Sterling, (Marcus) Rashford, (Callum) Hudson-Odoi and (Jadon) Sancho in those wide areas.

The competition in that area is high level - they're all good players, Jack's a very good player - I worked with him in the under-21s so I know all about him."
Ahh, right. Fair enough! Guess that makes it easier for Gareth to leave him out then, because in my opinion, if he does play for England, then it should be in centre midfield. That's his natural position, and where he played come the start of the season. Yes, he's producing more goals and assists for Villa as a left winger, but performances were just as good as an 8 for Villa. Difference is, he's not having to do so much defensive work.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Ahh, right. Fair enough! Guess that makes it easier for Gareth to leave him out then, because in my opinion, if he does play for England, then it should be in centre midfield. That's his natural position, and where he played come the start of the season. Yes, he's producing more goals and assists for Villa as a left winger, but performances were just as good as an 8 for Villa. Difference is, he's not having to do so much defensive work.
He's not really an 8 for us though. That's McGinn.

I do get what you and others are saying as eventually he could mature further and build up play from deeper but atm it's important he's as close to the box as possible so currently left with licence to drift in or as a number 10.

Can't see Southgate altering his approach for the euros. He likes two sitters and then attackers with pace infront. For World cup you had Henderson and Dier although I very much you'll see that in the euros but since then likes of Winks and Delph have had starts. If Phil Foden can actually start games somewhere I wouldn't put it past him to have a late run into the team.

Long term there may be something in going say Henderson-Grealish-Maddison/Ali plus the three forwards but England are nowhere near strong enough at the back against the best teams to play like that, likes of Belgium and France would just play through those midfields.

dwd

Saturday Night Spies
Not been wishing AIDS on Michael Oliver has he?
I bloody hope not. But he has been putting 'vomiting' emojis on a post by a Birmingham City player who dedicated a goal to Benik Afobe because his daughter died. Wonder if he will get a warning like?

Snafu17

I assume that was aimed at the fact that Crowley scored a goal for Birmingham rather than the Afobe part. A bit tone deaf in the best case scenario anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.