Jack Grealish

DRM

Gutted we didnt get him, would've taken us up a level!

pascell

Would've helped us reach the levels we need to get back to, just not worth the money, apparently.

Couldn't say it enough going into the transfer window, Grealish, Partey and Sancho exactly what we need.

Highfather_24

If we want Grealish, we need to change the system we play, or drop Rashford/Bruno. Otherwise he starts on the bench.

DM, RW and CB are greater priority than a AM/LW.

Classical Mechanic

It looked like it flowed perfect. Actually thought it was real.

My bad.
I think they started it at the end of him talking about Grealish.

He also said this

"His work with the ball was very good. We know he draws those fouls, he's comfortable receiving it in tight areas. It was a debut he can be really pleased with."

"He is a different type of player to probably any of we have. Sancho and Raheem have the ability to dribble and beat people but he does it in a different way. He's very comfortable receiving it under pressure.

"The area he got into and created for the goal is where he should aim to be more and more regularly. You want a player with that ability to be in that final third as much as you can.

"He's good at receiving deep but I keep stressing to him that they're the areas where he can make the difference. He did that tonight. Very pleased with him and I'm sure he's delighted with his first start."

Renegade

If he was here and playing in this form Rashford would be benched and hopefully would raise his level. Big big miss last season. We really needed Villa to go down last season.

Last edited:
Would've helped us reach the levels we need to get back to, just not worth the money, apparently.

Couldn't say it enough going into the transfer window, Grealish, Partey and Sancho exactly what we need.
That’s only £240m. How about living in the real world?

Stretender

If he was here and playing in this form Rashford would be benched and hopefully would reside his level. Big big miss last season. We really needed Villa to go down last season.
This. I always feel the real reason Southgate doesn't like Grealish is because he would put Rashford on the bench. I think this is bad management. Just play your best players not your favourites.

Am also convinced that United would have bought Grealish this summer but because he could bench Rashford the Manchester poster boy, the move is impossible.

Yagami

Good post resistant
I think they started it at the end of him talking about Grealish.

He also said this

"His work with the ball was very good. We know he draws those fouls, he's comfortable receiving it in tight areas. It was a debut he can be really pleased with."

"He is a different type of player to probably any of we have. Sancho and Raheem have the ability to dribble and beat people but he does it in a different way. He's very comfortable receiving it under pressure.

"The area he got into and created for the goal is where he should aim to be more and more regularly. You want a player with that ability to be in that final third as much as you can.

"He's good at receiving deep but I keep stressing to him that they're the areas where he can make the difference. He did that tonight. Very pleased with him and I'm sure he's delighted with his first start."
I hope Southgate ends up realising that Grealish coming deep is an area where he can make the difference. The ability to control play from deep, resisting the oppositions press, and advancing play be it with his dribbling or line-breaking passes could be a huge difference maker.

Limiting him to a final 3rd player is taking away some of his best attributes that we, as a team, sorely lack.

For whatever reason, though, Gareth prefers workhorses centrally, which hinders our general play big time.

dal

As an earlier poster said, I’d prefer if we’d sold Pogba and signed Grealish and VDB.

He provides so much cover and is so press resistant. I’m still hoping we can offload Pogba and replace him with Grealish as he’s just box office.

rashford———martial——Greenwood
————————Bruno————————-
—————Grealish———-Fred————-

That would be fine against most teams, I mean it’s an upgrade ok Pogba anyway.

Grande

This. I always feel the real reason Southgate doesn't like Grealish is because he would put Rashford on the bench. I think this is bad management. Just play your best players not your favourites.

Am also convinced that United would have bought Grealish this summer but because he could bench Rashford the Manchester poster boy, the move is impossible.
If you wonder why someone else does something and the only reason you can find is idiotic, it’s often a hint that that’s not the reason.

RUCK4444

As an earlier poster said, I’d prefer if we’d sold Pogba and signed Grealish and VDB.

He provides so much cover and is so press resistant. I’m still hoping we can offload Pogba and replace him with Grealish as he’s just box office.

————————Bruno————————-

Based on some of the teams we've lost to that midfield would be absolutely overrun.

We have to sign a top level DM imo. Our performances are almost single-handedly decided by which version of Matic turns up.

dal

Based on some of the teams we've lost to that midfield would be absolutely overrun.

We have to sign a top level DM imo. Our performances are almost single-handedly decided by which version of Matic turns up.
I think it would work fine against the lesser teams but obviously it’s horses for courses and also dependant On a functional defence.

Renegade

People always post those Uber attacking line ups and say it’ll be fine against lesser teams. I’ve seen so many times lesser teams take full advantage against big sides setting up like that home and away.

youngrell

Very good player, but not sure he fits the system Ole is trying to implement. He holds onto the ball too much a lot of the time, and moves it quite slowly. His constant looking for free kicks also slows the game down a lot. Think he would be frustrating.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
Very good player, but not sure he fits the system Ole is trying to implement. He holds onto the ball too much a lot of the time, and moves it quite slowly. His constant looking for free kicks also slows the game down a lot. Think he would be frustrating.
He comes across as very uninvolved and would get slated by our fans too.

spe88

————————Bruno————————-

I’d rather go balls deep, get rid of the Glazers and Pogba and just go crazy in the market.

Sancho——Haaland——Greenwood
———————Bruno————————-
————VDB———-R Neves————-

P.s. I know i’m living in a fantasy world

Stretender

If you wonder why someone else does something and the only reason you can find is idiotic, it’s often a hint that that’s not the reason.
At least I have given the reason.

The best England 11 today will have Grealish playing where Rashford plays.

Rashford should be on the bench based on current form both for England and Manchester United.

Acole9

Outstanding
Pretty much run the show for England yesterday. He would've been quality for us if we signed him.

Grande

At least I have given the reason.

The best England 11 today will have Grealish playing where Rashford plays.

Rashford should be on the bench based on current form both for England and Manchester United.
You maybe right, I haven’t watched England play in a while, not being English. I’ve watched Rashford, of course, being wildly frustrated by his violent drop of form after the injury/lockdown, but see signs of improvement as well. I’ve seen Grealish lately as well, and been impressed.

What I can imagine quite easily, is for instance a coach playing a game suited to a type like Rashford as LF, would not be much interested in a Grealish type as LF, but rather have use for him as an AM in the 10 or 8 like roles.

I can also imagine a coach who thinks Rashfords at top level brings more to his team than Grealish at his top level, due to style and other players complimentary abilities, and who believe game time is the way to achieve that top level again.

I can even imagine a coach sticking with a player in bad form due to him contributing to the team quality in other ways, such as building team ethos, inspirational mentality, setting good training ethics or even being the dressing room clown, if hethinks that will help his chosen eleven on the whole to win more important games in the long run.

What I can’t imagine, is a coach, or even two coaches, picking a player that will lose him games over a player that will win him games due to who he likes best or think is nicest or morally best person.

pascell

That’s only £240m. How about living in the real world?
The real world where United only sold one player in the whole transfer window and failed to purchase any top target the manager wanted? Sounds like a place were incompetence is allowed, so I'll pass.

We clearly have a difference in what should have been expected of the club in the transfer window, to improve the first XI and squad to get it closer to challenging for major honours. So we'll leave it here.

The real world where United only sold one player in the whole transfer window and failed to purchase any top target the manager wanted? Sounds like a place were incompetence is allowed, so I'll pass.

We clearly have a difference in what should have been expected of the club in the transfer window, to improve the first XI and squad to get it closer to challenging for major honours. So we'll leave it here.
Do you expect the club to spend £240m?

look at the overall value of transfer fees this summer, and the decrease has been dramatic!

the PL is only down 7%, but then you have Chelsea skewing the figures.

I’m not saying that we don’t all want better for the club. But every club has found it difficult to sell players this summer.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
If we want Grealish, we need to change the system we play, or drop Rashford/Bruno. Otherwise he starts on the bench.

DM, RW and CB are greater priority than a AM/LW.
Did you learn nothing from our time under Ferguson? It's a squad game.

Glorio

There's an enduring principle in these parts I've found: the grass is always greener.
Basically the immortalisation of the one who got away.

I imagine how if we missed out on VDB, as he's scored one, forced a pen, and assisted another, folks here would have definitely immediately certified him the force of nature that would've immediately elevated us to multiple premier league and champions league titles.

pascell

Do you expect the club to spend £240m?

look at the overall value of transfer fees this summer, and the decrease has been dramatic!

the PL is only down 7%, but then you have Chelsea skewing the figures.

I’m not saying that we don’t all want better for the club. But every club has found it difficult to sell players this summer.
I did yeah, I thought we'd have sold the players that needed to be sold and shown a lot more ambition.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Yes but you don't spend 80m on a squad player or make Bruno/Rashford a squad player (whoever you view as the worst of the 3) if we have the holes that we do/did at RW, DM, LB and CB. Once we signed Bruno, any transfer for Grealish became pretty much pointless.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
There's an enduring principle in these parts I've found: the grass is always greener.
Basically the immortalisation of the one who got away.

I imagine how if we missed out on VDB, as he's scored one, forced a pen, and assisted another, folks here would have definitely immediately certified him the force of nature that would've immediately elevated us to multiple premier league and champions league titles.
Damn you. Thought you were talking about midweek international performances and went off looking for info on the Dutch game as it sounded like he player a blinder. Turns out the opposite is true.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
No more “pointless” than signing VDB.
Not really. Where Grealish is purely a #10 or LW (Bruno or Rashford), VdB is a #10 or a #8 and even had a full season at the start as a #6 (so Bruno, Pogba or Matic/Fred/Mctom). I'd expect Pogba to leave next summer so VdB will just step in, along with him stepping in all the time as it is when Pogba is injured or loses form or whatever (theoretically. Ole has to drop him first). He's 2 years younger than Grealish but excelled in the Champions League with Ajax. And half the price for a squad player with a view to replacing Pogba in the 11 I'm sure.

Highfather_24

You dont buy someone for 80M and then think how to fit him in. Rashford and Bruno are 2 of our best players, and you dont need to have competition for them with 80M Grealish.

Besides we are short on money. We need a CB, DM and RW far more, considering our first team options there are poor. You fix what you have first, before going for a luxury signing like Grealish.

eltigreFalcao

If anything I'd go for him after selling Pogba but still I don't seem to find his best fit in the current set up. I would even target a DM first though. I think VdB is a better addition to the squad at the moment

NYAS

Nah, Donny is very clearly seen as a back-up to Bruno, and on that basis I definitely would have taken Grealish over him if price wasn’t a factor.

I did yeah, I thought we'd have sold the players that needed to be sold and shown a lot more ambition.
you know as well as I do, selling players this summer was incredibly difficult.

no one bar chelsea, who were catching up on a transfer ban were spending anything near £240m. Again, we are in a post Covid world, let’s be bloody realistic.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa

Wouldn't Rashford be on the bench anyway? Sterling-Kane-Sancho is the first choice front 3 when everyone's fit.

Yagami

Good post resistant
Wouldn't Rashford be on the bench anyway? Sterling-Kane-Sancho is the first choice front 3 when everyone's fit.
Dunno about that. When both are fit, it's 50/50 on who starts with Kane and Sterling, and, imo, Rashford always outperforms Sancho for us.