Jack Grealish

dal

If he wants to move in the summer transfer window then to sign a new contract was very stupid.
He loves Villa they are in his blood.

He’s one of those players that not only have generational talent but one of the few who apply weight to loyalty.

He’s ambitious but the weight of loyalty counteracts it, only committed players improve season after season like he has which shows his ambition.

I think with him it’s about balance, he knows he has the tools to help villa stay up, I think if he does go he wants them to get a good fee. I do believe deep down though he’d rather help villa be successful.

On one hand the vast majority think it’s a real shame but even being a United fan I find it very admirable and frankly I love it.

I mean I don’t want to get sentimental and all unnecessary but being a touch nostalgic and a tad stupid it has an air of Diego.

archiebald

I'm still doubtful as to how he'll perform at a top club where he doesn't have so much use of the ball. Not taking away from his Villa performances which have been magnificent for the most part.

crossy1686

career ending
If he wants to move in the summer transfer window then to sign a new contract was very stupid.
I think it was last summer he was looking to move with his contract running down but Villa priced him out of a move essentially. I don't think he's going anywhere next summer due to that shiny new contract but in a couple of seasons he could be on the move again.

ForeverRed1

I'm still doubtful as to how he'll perform at a top club where he doesn't have so much use of the ball. Not taking away from his Villa performances which have been magnificent for the most part.
he’s would be even better with better quality around him. He’s not a player who would disappear and be a classic case of big fish in small pond, he’s very self confident and has the cockiness factor to thrive.
What people see now.. is not him at his best. Put him around world class players. He’s exceptional. Worth 80mil, maybe more.

lysglimt

Scout
He would be perfect for us because he has all the qualities we lack. I looked at him yesterday - he picks up the ball, and no one can stop him legally when he takes the ball forward. He simply glides past opponents.

Another Villa-player I really like is Douglas Luiz - I thought he was so-so last season, but this season he has turned into a very efficient defensive midfielder. And his range of passing isn't bad either, he could easily go to a top-club in a year or two. Still only 22 years old

RooneyLegend

We have no business missing out on someone who's probably the best player in the league cause of his driving. Get him a chauffeur ffs.

RooneyLegend

he’s would be even better with better quality around him. He’s not a player who would disappear and be a classic case of big fish in small pond, he’s very self confident and has the cockiness factor to thrive.
What people see now.. is not him at his best. Put him around world class players. He’s exceptional. Worth 80mil, maybe more.
This goes without saying. 80 million would be a bargain.

Judas

Open to offers
Grealish in a team where he's not the one player the opposition are afraid of will be very dangerous, he already does damage when teams know he's Villa's main threat, but with all that extra space allowed to him as there's other players to worry about? Feel jealous of whichever team ends up signing him.

Idxomer

Grealish in a team where he's not the one player the opposition are afraid of will be very dangerous, he already does damage when teams know he's Villa's main threat, but with all that extra space allowed to him as there's other players to worry about? Feel jealous of whichever team ends up signing him.
He has three players surround him now whenever he has the ball, he'll have it much easier on a better team when he isn't the go-to guy in attack.

simplyared

Players who fascinate me I tend to watch more in detail. If you watch Grealish on the ball you notice how he often forces his opponent to commit themselves. There isn't a player at present in the PL who has such a high success rate for beating or going past opponents. Not only that he makes it look so easy. Question is how long he'll be allowed to carry on doing it!

archiebald

He would be on the ball more at a top club???
Err no? The other star players on whichever team he moves to would demand use of the ball as well. I'm still waiting with fingers crossed that he makes the move and is able to translate most of what he's showing now over at his new club, hopefully it's us.

crossy1686

career ending
Err no? The other star players on whichever team he moves to would demand use of the ball as well. I'm still waiting with fingers crossed that he makes the move and is able to translate most of what he's showing now over at his new club, hopefully it's us.
Why would a team sign a player that's good on the ball and then tell him to pass it to the players around him instead that aren't as good as he is in that area?

He would see more of the ball in the opposition 3rd and have a greater return. Look at how many touches VDB had against that Turkish side in the CL the other week. We pinned them back and he saw loads of the ball, as would Grealish in a top side.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
We have no business missing out on someone who's probably the best player in the league cause of his driving. Get him a chauffeur ffs.
Is he going to push Rashford/Martial out and be our long term left winger or something? As he isn't starting ahead of Bruno as the 10.

Hes a terrific player, but he just doesn't fit a need for us. We can't just go and sign every top quality player. Its not a good squad building tactic. Long term I see us using Rashford on the right and rotating on the left with Martial. Martial rotating with Cavani up top or on the left. Greenwood rotating with Cavani up top, or on the right. That's 4 players for the front 3 positions, ignoring our deeper depth like James, and none of them being natural on the right anyway. But someone like Grealish or Bruno are players who would only come if they have that clear starting spot. They won't come to battle it out and we won't spend 80-100m for him to battle it out with our strongest positions.

We need a right sided player unless Rashford can turn into that himself (and just spent a lot on Diallo). We need a quality holding midfielder to balance out our midfield properly. We need to sort out our CB's as none of them really impress. And Cavani is only short term so you can be sure that we'll go hard for Haaland when the time comes for him to leave Dortmund.

Plus financial impacts of covid. We aren't going to get Grealish, and it would make very little sense to go out and buy Grealish. That ship has sailed.

TrustInOle

I know it would be a headache to fit him in the first 11 but he would be my dream signing this summer. Such a classy player and a credit to Villa.

crossy1686

career ending
Is he going to push Rashford/Martial out and be our long term left winger or something? As he isn't starting ahead of Bruno as the 10.

Hes a terrific player, but he just doesn't fit a need for us. We can't just go and sign every top quality player. Its not a good squad building tactic. Long term I see us using Rashford on the right and rotating on the left with Martial. Martial rotating with Cavani up top or on the left. Greenwood rotating with Cavani up top, or on the right. That's 4 players for the front 3 positions, ignoring our deeper depth like James, and none of them being natural on the right anyway. But someone like Grealish or Bruno are players who would only come if they have that clear starting spot. They won't come to battle it out and we won't spend 80-100m for him to battle it out with our strongest positions.

We need a right sided player unless Rashford can turn into that himself (and just spent a lot on Diallo). We need a quality holding midfielder to balance out our midfield properly. We need to sort out our CB's as none of them really impress. And Cavani is only short term so you can be sure that we'll go hard for Haaland when the time comes for him to leave Dortmund.

Plus financial impacts of covid. We aren't going to get Grealish, and it would make very little sense to go out and buy Grealish. That ship has sailed.
Grealish is box to box, he could easily displace Fred in the team and we would then need 1 dedicated DM.

We won't sign Grealish now due to his new contract and what Villa value him at, but if they go down we'll get him for sure.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Grealish is box to box, he could easily displace Fred in the team and we would then need 1 dedicated DM.

We won't sign Grealish now due to his new contract and what Villa value him at, but if they go down we'll get him for sure.
He isnt a box to box midfielder. Hes an attacking mid or a left winger. He doesn't play as part of a double pivot, or as one of the 2 deeper mids in a 3. Its the most creative/advanced mid in a 3, or on the left. Playing him anywhere else is just wasting his abilities and putting a square peg into a round hole. We already have Pogba who is an attacking mid who we try to force deep. We bought VdB who is a 8/10 so at least can make it work deeper. We have Bruno as our main man who is a 10. I've said it before, but the second we signed Bruno, Grealish effectively disappeared as a logical target.

Teja

He’s one of those players that not only have generational talent but one of the few who apply weight to loyalty.

He’s ambitious but the weight of loyalty counteracts it, only committed players improve season after season like he has which shows his ambition.

I think with him it’s about balance, he knows he has the tools to help villa stay up, I think if he does go he wants them to get a good fee. I do believe deep down though he’d rather help villa be successful.

On one hand the vast majority think it’s a real shame but even being a United fan I find it very admirable and frankly I love it.

I mean I don’t want to get sentimental and all unnecessary but being a touch nostalgic and a tad stupid it has an air of Diego.
Will Villa reciprocate though? I think they'll try to price him out of a move and demand something crazy like 100m+.

crossy1686

career ending
He isnt a box to box midfielder. Hes an attacking mid or a left winger. He doesn't play as part of a double pivot, or as one of the 2 deeper mids in a 3. Its the most creative/advanced mid in a 3, or on the left. Playing him anywhere else is just wasting his abilities and putting a square peg into a round hole. We already have Pogba who is an attacking mid who we try to force deep. We bought VdB who is a 8/10 so at least can make it work deeper. We have Bruno as our main man who is a 10. I've said it before, but the second we signed Bruno, Grealish effectively disappeared as a logical target.
People have been raving about Grealish for the last two seasons now, his numbers weren't as impressive last season which is why quite a few people weren't fully sold on him. This season he is getting in and around the box more but before that, his best work is done around his own box or deep in his own half. He commits players and goes past them, I've seen him many times beat a man on the edge of his own box and start a counter-attack for Villa.

He can absolutely play deeper and is good at it. He's not an out and out AM like Bruno or VDB. Even against West Ham the other night, he was the deepest player in his own team's midfield at points. He's a great player on the transition like Modic was.

Pogba hasn't got the discipline or the attention span to play in any other role than a free role where he waltzes around the midfield doing what he feels like doing. Grealish is a completely different player.

El Jefe

He's a good player but still feel he's very overrated especially on here. I've even read a couple of posts claiming he's the best in the league. Deary me.

It still makes no sense to sign him IMO. His best positions are on the left and AM where we already have Rashford, Bruno and Martial. Even if Pogba leaves, Grealish has no bearing on that as he doesn't play Pogba's position. Some posters want him here at any cost and have even convinced themselves he can play alongside Fred in midfield.

romufc

He's a good player but still feel he's very overrated especially on here. I've even read a couple of posts claiming he's the best in the league. Deary me.

It still makes no sense to sign him IMO. His best positions are on the left and AM where we already have Rashford, Bruno and Martial. Even if Pogba leaves, Grealish has no bearing on that as he doesn't play Pogba's position. Some posters want him here at any cost and have even convinced themselves he can play alongside Fred in midfield.
I think he is a brilliant player tbh. However; just like Maddison last season, we need to see how he reacts when he has a dip in form, how he impacts games.

I agree, I would love him here but spending £60m on him would solve nothing in our team. We need to stop trying to fit ourselves with every player that is available. Its not all about the inform player, we need players that will suit what we already have,

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20

He is not a box to box and he would never play that role. The best we can expect is him in a 3 man midfield. We will have the same issues as Pogba if we sign him unless rashford goes to right and he will keep swapping with this guy.

RedCurry

I had my reservations because I always felt that he was decent as a CM. But more I watch him on the left wing, more I am convinced that he’s probably the best English footballer at the moment. His passing in the attacking third is almost brilliant. If he ever came to United, he will most certainly replace Martial or Rashford and not Pogba.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa

Think he'll give us another two years and then given it will still be pretty unlikely we'd be top 4-6 by that point he'll decide at 27 it's time to have a go at playing CL and competiting for league titles. 3 years left on his deal at that point so we'd still get a good fee but wouldn't be stupidly high like if anyone came in for him in January.

As I've said before Gareth Barry was reasonably similar case and he wanted to go at 27. We held onto him for another year and he then got a better move to Man. City a year later given Liverpool were declining under Benitez.

Young moved to you at about 26. Years back Sheringham moved to you from Spurs when he was about 29 but still won plenty and improved further as a player.

Looking at it that's what I think Zaha tried to do but seems like Palace are holding him hostage every summer now. :lol: Thought his importance to them playing wasn't as strong as it used to be but they've just played Burnley and Newcastle without him and haven't scored a goal in either game.

Jack actually said after he signed the new deal he wasn't sure where he'd be playing the season a day before so clearly there was interest in him from someone and he was having a good think. I think us telling him we were getting Barkley in on loan convinced him to stay a bit longer as they seem good mates from what I've seen of them training together and in pre match warm ups.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
He would be perfect for us because he has all the qualities we lack. I looked at him yesterday - he picks up the ball, and no one can stop him legally when he takes the ball forward. He simply glides past opponents.

Another Villa-player I really like is Douglas Luiz - I thought he was so-so last season, but this season he has turned into a very efficient defensive midfielder. And his range of passing isn't bad either, he could easily go to a top-club in a year or two. Still only 22 years old
Man.City have a buyback clause on him, 35m. Expires next summer. Given Fernandinho is coming to the end now and Rodri hasn't really met expectations in the big games I do fear they'll exercise that at some point in next 6 months.

He starts regularly for Brazil now so it's a bargain aswell given what he's shown in last six months and his potential to improve further. Bossed it last night against Rice and Soucek.

Davie Moyes

Good post. Whilst I'd love him here, I think you're right. That ship has sailed.

RooneyLegend

Doesn't matter who he benches between Martial, Rashford or Bruno, he'd improve the team. He's better than anything we have. They wont stop him leaving if they get a good offer.

Sean_RedDevil

Twitter bot

I think it was last summer he was looking to move with his contract running down but Villa priced him out of a move essentially. I don't think he's going anywhere next summer due to that shiny new contract but in a couple of seasons he could be on the move again.
If he has any ambitions (Every footballer must want to play at the highest level and to win the big trophies) and he keeps his level in the next months then he must push for a move......in my opinion he could start for every club apart from Bayern Munich.

For example Rooney loved Everton too but he knew that he wouldn't win the big trophies with Everton and therefore he pushed for a move to us.

But of course Grealish could look for a career like Le Tissier or Shearer (Yeah he has played for Southampton, Blackburn and Newcastle but he should have played for a top club) with the hope to win a national cup.

crossy1686

career ending
If he has any ambitions (Every footballer must want to play at the highest level and to win the big trophies) and he keeps his level in the next months then he must push for a move......in my opinion he could start for every club apart from Bayern Munich.

For example Rooney loved Everton too but he knew that he wouldn't win the big trophies with Everton and therefore he pushed for a move to us.

But of course Grealish could look for a career like Le Tissier or Shearer (Yeah he has played for Southampton, Blackburn and Newcastle but he should have played for a top club) with the hope to win a national cup.
But Everton was not doing well financially and was looking to sell Rooney also. Grealish can ask to leave, even force it but Villa don't need the money, their owners are wedged.

pascell

I had my reservations because I always felt that he was decent as a CM. But more I watch him on the left wing, more I am convinced that he’s probably the best English footballer at the moment. His passing in the attacking third is almost brilliant. If he ever came to United, he will most certainly replace Martial or Rashford and not Pogba.
CM he'd have been wasted, like Pogba is now. He can play anywhere behind the striker and would cause havoc playing alongside Fernandes and VdB with the intricate passing, dribbling and movement. The perfect player against the lowblock.

Murray3007

Would be a great signing for any team in the prem, right now for me he is up there as one of the top 3 players so far this season, hes been superb, yes he dives but lets be honest every player goes down easy, sure he was a release clause in his new contract but is more then the 80m they wanted in the summer, if he keeps up the performances then surely someone will go sign him. hopefully it would be us.

lex talionis

Jack would certainly strengthen us on the left of midfield, but we have to give Rashford and Martial a chance to develop and if they do then we just have to let the ship sail by.

Jack could serve in a deeper role for us, but I’m not sure that would serve us well.

HowYouDoin

He can absolutely play deeper and is good at it. He's not an out and out AM like Bruno or VDB.
Theres two false statements there. Grealish is not box to box and VDB is most definitely not an out and out AM. Gotta question your judgement if you see Grealish as box to box and VDB as a pure AM. Both statements are far from true.

I would personally go for Grealish because I do think he is arguably the best player in the PL right now and I do think its reasonable he would only improve with better players around him.
I would play him at left wing, move Rashford to the right, bench and eventually sell Martial. Heck I would sell Martial and Pogba today to raise funds for Grealish.

Truth to be told, position wise he is not our most pressing need but genuine world class quality is what wins trophies. Martial and Rashford are okay. They are good players but inconsistent.
We need true world class quality. If Grealish is that guy and I think he is, pay whatever it takes. Sell who you can sell. By selling Pogba, Martial and Dan James we could easily raise around 100 million.

RedDevil@84

Where is this buy him in summer coming from? Surely he would have a ridiculous release clause.

HowYouDoin

He's worth the money just for his versatility alone.
Him and Bruno would be like our own Kane and Son. The super duo of two arguably best players in the PL. I do believe the 4 aforementioned players are currently the best in the PL.
Would be nice to have two of them.
By selling Pogba and Martial, we could afford Grealish and the difference would be huge.

HowYouDoin

How much though?

He was available for 80M last summer. After that, he has signed a new contract which runs till 2025.
How much? That depends. How much do they want? Pay it.
I honestly feel that a player like Grealish is the difference between us being at this level or getting to the level of winning PL and challenging for CL.

We are not that far off. We have one world class player in Bruno and a solid team, very solid team all around. One more world class player like Grealish and now you're talking something serious.

The best thing, whatever we pay for Grealish we can easily fund by selling Pogba and Martial. We dont need either.