Jack Grealish

Bondi77

Did people say this? I don’t recall people saying he was better but more that the DVB made more sense as it was half the price.
Do you think it makes sense to spend 40mil on a player that cannot even be the second or third change?

432JuanMata

English national team has a long tradition of marginalizing naturally gifted, creative players.
Hopefully that doesn’t continue. Being Irish everyone thinks we hate England winning etc which for 90% that isn’t the case. We just hate the media overrating the players. Looking at the players England have now. Kane,Rashford,Sterling,Sancho,Grealish,Foden and they are just the attacking players. For the money the squad is valued at and the players they have they need to be challenging at every tournament, nothing wrong with sticking Rice and Henderson in too balance the MF, but the creative players like Grealish need to play and the likes of Mount have to drop out.

T00lsh3d

T00ly O' Sh3d
Somewhat pleasurable to see Shelvey trudging hopelessly round in his shadow

Has that rare combo of silk and steel. Glides over the pitch, technically excellent...but also a fighter with great upper body (and calf) strength. I'd absolutely love him here.

Since there's no match thread I'll post it here - I've started understanding why Villa fans are so negative about Mings. Every time I've seen him recently he's been a walking disaster area, bailed out repeatedly by Konsa. Even when he was being hyped in the media, VillaTalk were almost unanimous in thinking he was their worst player.

432JuanMata

If Villa had been relegated. Grealish would be a Utd player now.
I agree with that because he would of cost much less. It would of been silly to buy him for 80m+ when a RW is essential. We obviously bought VDB to improve the squad and save money for probably Sancho this summer

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Love his disappointment at coming off with 5mins to go!
He could smell a late goal on a break there!

Renegade

Do you think it makes sense to spend 40mil on a player that cannot even be the second or third change?
It’s the fact Ole can’t afford rest Bruno and not so much DVB not being good enough. It’s not long ago we were playing Andreas and Lingard in the number 10 role.

James Peril

There's so much wrong in this post. The funny thing is if Beckham were playing in this era, the player his game would be most similar to is De Bruyne.

Imagine thinking Beckham was just a crosser and Grealish's passing is far superior :lol: Deary me.
Don’t get me wrong, Beckham was my god back in the day. Deary me you say condescendingly, but don’t become a defence attorney mate, this video evidence you presented is basically a ten minute comp of Beckham crossing or doing diagonals or long-balls over the top. Was that supposed to be your smoking gun? He is nothing like Kevin de Bruyne (here’s where deary me fits more aptly), he is more like Alexander-Arnold in that regard. When it comes to short passes, combinations, one-two’s, shooting passes in corridors and seeing opportunity in room, including players and keeping momentum, Beckham does not match Grealish or de Bruyne for that matter. Beckham was a marksman with insanely high hit ratios, but he saw a target and hit it, Grealish/KdB sees things where normal players don’t see anything.

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
Very good player clearly but there’s a reason we haven’t bought him. Price and off field persona.

Such a shame that if he wasn’t a dickhead he’d possibly be a United player.

Bondi77

It’s the fact Ole can’t afford rest Bruno and not so much DVB not being good enough. It’s not long ago we were playing Andreas and Lingard in the number 10 role.
At least we know what Andreas and Lingard are capable of.
If Ole does not play him in the Cup game then It is going to get embarrassing for Ole and Donny and if by some chance something happens to Bruno then we know Ole will get hammered for not resting him.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Has that rare combo of silk and steel. Glides over the pitch, technically excellent...but also a fighter with great upper body (and calf) strength. I'd absolutely love him here.

Since there's no match thread I'll post it here - I've started understanding why Villa fans are so negative about Mings. Every time I've seen him recently he's been a walking disaster area, bailed out repeatedly by Konsa. Even when he was being hyped in the media, VillaTalk were almost unanimous in thinking he was their worst player.
We still need Mings for his leadership and he's still pretty strong in the air from set pieces. Just one of those who has a sloppy moment even when we're in control, even tonight we were comfortable in halfway line and he just passes straight to Wilson who ran and won a corner.

Konsa improvement been incredible, if you want a late CB run into the England euros squad I wouldn't look past him given the average options available in that area currently for England compared to a decade ago.

Donut

He seems like a Pep player and he won’t want to miss out on him, although City probably won’t pay the fee. If Pogba goes we really should go all out for him.

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
When this guy gets the ball I get so excited.
More so than any other player in the PL.

kinell, even transfermarkt is fake news
Transfermarkt gave him the assist on the Cavani goal vs Fulham, but the Prem didn't I believe. Personally wouldn't have given him that one but would have given him an assist on the first Cavani goal vs Saints, but neither site counted that one. Deflection barely changed the path of the ball there.

Sanche7

If Pogba really wants to go, then we should go all out for this guy. Fix the defense with a proper DM who can shield the back four, a proper CB, a backup RB and let Bruno & Grealish attack attack attack. Would still be missing a top class RW, but we should probably wait and see how Diallo does. Then go all out for Haaland in 2022 and win the treble, again!

criticalanalysis

Don’t get me wrong, Beckham was my god back in the day. Deary me you say condescendingly, but don’t become a defence attorney mate, this video evidence you presented is basically a ten minute comp of Beckham crossing or doing diagonals or long-balls over the top. Was that supposed to be your smoking gun? He is nothing like Kevin de Bruyne (here’s where deary me fits more aptly), he is more like Alexander-Arnold in that regard. When it comes to short passes, combinations, one-two’s, shooting passes in corridors and seeing opportunity in room, including players and keeping momentum, Beckham does not match Grealish or de Bruyne for that matter. Beckham was a marksman with insanely high hit ratios, but he saw a target and hit it, Grealish/KdB sees things where normal players don’t see anything.
Depending on the coaching/manager, Beckham today would be like you said either a world class full back (Lahm/Kimmich) or an all action box to box centre midfielder.

Imagine Beckham up and down the right wing 90mins non stop. Fecking hell, the stamina on him. Probably would be a decent defender such was his dedication.

-Supreme-

For me what's most pleasing about watching Grealish is that he could come off the pitch after a game and record zero assists/goals and still be the best player on the pitch due to how brilliant he is in the transition.
Agreed - I do think stats can be very deceptive and has been over used to analyse players at times, particularly those that contribute very little in the attacking play / transitions but somehow makes a simple assist which can happen more often if playing for a top side with better players in the team.

Ballache

Supports
Martial
He has this ability to slow the tempo yet instantly up it with a pass or a feint.
I've been a fan of his for 2 years now, he's easily my top Muppet target.

RooneyLegend

Depending on the coaching/manager, Beckham today would be like you said either a world class full back (Lahm/Kimmich) or an all action box to box centre midfielder.

Imagine Beckham up and down the right wing 90mins non stop. Fecking hell, the stamina on him. Probably would be a decent defender such was his dedication.
Don't see why he couldn't play the same position in this era.

El Zoido

Me too, I’ve sung his praises in this thread before, but he’s by far my favourite non-United player. I watch Villa games just to see him play. Super footballer.

Eplel

I think you're mishudging Beckham's abilities here, because he mainly played to his strenghts, and rightly so, and entire systems were built around his strengths.
Football has changed a lot since the early 2000s, but that doesn't mean that players that better fit traditional systems would not thrive in today's systems, or that a team using a more traditional system would fail cause football has moved on. The entire comparison is off, and proves nothing.

andersj

Nick Powell Expert
Fans often get more excited about young talents, but it is players at the same stage of their carrier as Grealish that usually come in and make a big impact. I think he would make a huge different for us, and have a similar impact to Salah or van Dijk at Liverpool. Bruno took us far, Grealish could take us that last bit.

Not only is he very creative and able to set the tempo of play on the last third, he is also so press resistant. That would be of huge value to our build up play.

I seriously doubt that it is possible for us to get him. But given his age, quality and the fact that he is at Villa, we should try. I would argue he should be our number one priority.

Winzaghi

Supports
Aston Villa
Agreed - I do think stats can be very deceptive and has been over used to analyse players at times, particularly those that contribute very little in the attacking play / transitions but somehow makes a simple assist which can happen more often if playing for a top side with better players in the team.
This is a very good point. Luckily he's now added the stats to his game (probably because he's playing with better players).