Jack Grealish

gajender

He is such a joy to watch if he comes here he would instantly be our best player if you can see past the stats which aren't too shabby for him either he is atleast level above all our attackers and the scary part is I think he has another level or two to go up once he moves to a top team .

He is a great player whose base level is pretty high unlike our attackers who when not playing well or out of form looks like they have won the lottery to play for us, he would elevate our attack to next level get him for next season even if that means someone like Rashford or Fernandes misses out then so be it tradeoff is worth it in my opinion.

dal

Ole knows what we need, we haven’t brought a proven front three attacker, we’ve gone with three youth players and he’s done fantastically with them.

We need Grealish and a striker for Martial.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
I reckon we would have signed him last summer if he hadn’t been such a numpty off the field.

Adnan

Talent Spotter

It's Also interesting to observe that he's started Villa's last 43 league games consecutively and played in every minute until he was subbed off in the 88th minute against Newcastle 4 days ago.q

saivet

Forget this worrying about him playing in Tony's/Marcus best position just go out and get it done in the summer before one of our rivals does and makes us feel that agony of feeling what might have been
Very different scenario, but that type of thinking backfired with signing Sanchez. Martial was in good form and when Sanchez came in he got less minutes and played other positions. I don't think we're good enough as a team (or as a group of individuals) to be replacing or putting out of position one of our better players (Rashford) without addressing some of our problem areas first.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Very different scenario, but that type of thinking backfired with signing Sanchez. Martial was in good form and when Sanchez came in he got less minutes and played other positions. I don't think we're good enough as a team (or as a group of individuals) to be replacing or putting out of position one of our better players (Rashford) without addressing some of our problem areas first.
That scenario with Sanchez only back fired due to him being crap. And he'd been performing below par for Arsenal too when we signed him. Grealish is a completely different scenario that you can't compare to Sanchez.

saivet

That scenario with Sanchez only back fired due to him being crap. And he'd been performing below par for Arsenal too when we signed him. Grealish is a completely different scenario that you can't compare to Sanchez.
You're right but if we're completely honest we didn't really need him and we went for him because we thought we couldn't pass up on the opportunity, without thinking about the rest of the squad. I just don't think going for a player just because they are really good is an approach to take for a team like us. We could do with a ST, RW, CB, CDM and RB before we go looking for a LW/CAM. Grealish could and probably would be great for us but I don't think it's a signing that will take us to the next level, especially if a big transfer fee results in us neglecting other areas of our squad.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
You're right but if we're completely honest we didn't really need him and we went for him because we thought we couldn't pass up on the opportunity, without thinking about the rest of the squad. I just don't think going for a player just because they are really good is an approach to take for a team like us. We could do with a ST, RW, CB, CDM and RB before we go looking for a LW/CAM. Grealish could and probably would be great for us but I don't think it's a signing that will take us to the next level, especially if a big transfer fee results in us neglecting other areas of our squad.
I completely understand your reasoning and would likely agree with you if it was any other player. But Grealish is playing at such a high level right now that it's difficult for me not to get excited at the prospect of him playing for us.

So I completely respect your take on the player but i'm gonna go with the Fergie approach when he said that when certain players become available we look to sign them and think about the rest later. I actually love watching players like Grealish play too due to the aesthetic element in his game which as a fan of the game is what I watch the game for. He also provides a work rate that is only matched by Bruno in our current first 11. And if a peak Giggs had still been playing for us then I would say stay away from Grealish because Giggs was that good and our current options are levels below him imo.

So for me if we can sign Grealish and a DM/CB it would make us even better than what we've shown thus far. We would still need a few more players like a striker being one, but that striker target is likely to be Haaland in 2022 when his release clause kicks in. And as far as the RW is concerned i'm willing to back the better judgment of Marcel Bout and the coaching staff and be patient with Amad Diallo who they believe has the potential to make the right sided role his own.

AgentSmith

We probably win last night if Grealish is playing for us. We had so much of the ball in deeper positions, in front of the Sheffield midfield, that it was crying out for someone to help transition us further up the pitch. Someone to take the game to them.

One of Grealish’s defining attributes is his confidence and desire to make things happen with the ball. He is constantly trying to impose himself on the game, no matter the stage. He’s risen to the occasion of the Championship, then the Premier League and now international football - looking like the best player on the pitch at each juncture.

The other key attribute is the ability to carry the ball forward 10-15 yards every single time he gets it. His dribbling and strength (thighs thiccccccer than a Kardashian) on the ball means he can do this with consistency against anyone I’ve seen Villa play. This buys key yards against low block defences and helps to push up every single other player around him. To top this off he then has genuine creativity at the end of these mazy runs.

The only issue and stumbling block to going after Grealish is positioning; his best position is either Rashford’s best position or Bruno’s. But he’s almost approaching a level where we buy first, adapt later. It’s just a question of whether directing funds towards a proper RW, a proper CDM and a CB would be a wiser use of money if the purse strings are tightened this summer.

Last edited:

DixieDean

Everton Fan
Supports
Everton
Someone put it best earlier in the thread, this guy is a great player because of his ball retention. Even if he didn't create or score, he's still a massive plus to any team.

Southgate would be foolish to not build a side around this guy.

Last edited:

croadyman

We probably win last night if Grealish is playing for us. We had so much of the ball in deeper positions, in front of the Sheffield midfield, that it was crying out for someone to help transition us further up the pitch. Someone to take the game to them.

One of Grealish’s defining attributes is his confidence and desire to make things happen with the ball. He is constantly trying to impose himself on the game, no matter the stage. He’s risen to the occasion of the Championship, then the Premier League and now international football - looking like the best player on the pitch at each juncture.

The other key attribute is the ability to carry the ball forward 10-15 yards every single time he gets it. His dribbling and strength (thighs thiccccccer than a Kardashian) on the ball means he can do this with consistency against anyone I’ve seen Villa play. This buys key yards against low block defences and helps to push up every single other player around him. To top this off he then has genuine creativity at the end of these mazy runs.

The only issue and stumbling block to going after Grealish is positioning; his best position is either Rashford’s best position or Bruno’s. But he’s almost approaching a level where we buy first, adapt later. It’s just a question of whether directing funds towards a proper RW, a proper CDM and a CB would be a wiser use of money if the purse stringers are tightened this summer.
Yeah it's pretty sickening when we have no choice but to pass on a top talent like him because our board insist on tightening the purse strings. There is no doubt we have massive issues at the three positions you mentioned but we won't be allowed to sort all that in one summer either due to those yankee leeches who are only bothered about the NFL

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
If peak Ronaldinho is available to us, would you say no also?

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
This is such a bloody pain because huge fan of the guy but can't keep ignoring our problems at CB, CDM, RW & ST
Then you see there are plenty of options on players available for those positions. But once Grealish plays for one of the big boys, there's almost zero chance to get him later. Maybe when he's 33 y.o.

croadyman

Then you see there are plenty of options on players available for those positions. But once Grealish plays for one of the big boys, there's almost zero chance to get him later. Maybe when he's 33 y.o.
Plenty of options to buy maybe but we have got a limited budget for the second summer running

saivet

If peak Ronaldinho is available to us, would you say no also?
No, I'd try to sign peak Messi to play on the right instead.

I like Grealish but I don't think we're looking at a guy that will be winning the Ballon Dor.

Kaos

Him all day long. Put him left wing as an inside forward/attacking playmaker and shift Rashford to the right rotating with Greenwood.

Sell Martial.
100% this. I'd go for him even if we sign a Sancho/Haaland. Rashford isn't Messi, so no reason why he shouldn't have to compete for a starting spot.

NYAS

100% this. I'd go for him even if we sign a Sancho/Haaland. Rashford isn't Messi, so no reason why he shouldn't have to compete for a starting spot.
We need to let go of the idea that Rashford has an automatic place in the team. He’s been below par for a while now; a contributing factor may be that he has zero competition. Honestly I would get both Sancho and Grealish. It’s mad that we’re just waiting years and years for Rashford and Martial to come good.

red woppit

Supports
Northampton Town
Grealish is a very talented footballer, and seems to dictate most of Villa's attacks, but what I worry about is that the Villa team are all constantly moving, and creating spaces, he just selects which player would be in the best position to pass to, we don't see that type of movement within our team. If he came to OT, we would need players that can move all the time, and play with much more pace, our build up play is so slow.
Bruno, VDB and Cavani are three players that are constantly moving, but most of the others don't appear to move a great deal, so will we see players like Mejbri getting a chance next season.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
Grealish is a very talented footballer, and seems to dictate most of Villa's attacks, but what I worry about is that the Villa team are all constantly moving, and creating spaces, he just selects which player would be in the best position to pass to, we don't see that type of movement within our team. If he came to OT, we would need players that can move all the time, and play with much more pace, our build up play is so slow.
Bruno, VDB and Cavani are three players that are constantly moving, but most of the others don't appear to move a great deal, so will we see players like Mejbri getting a chance next season.
That's why Martial might have to go.

United58

We have high risk players like Bruno, Pogba, Rashford who tend to lose the ball a lot due to the nature of their play, so someone like Grealish who holds on to it well would be nice.

Selling Pogba and bringing himself and Sancho in this summer might be great business - though we may need a striker (Haaland is the dream) depending on Martial and how he develops (or doesn't)

The Oracle

depending on Martial and how he develops (or doesn't)
I've accepted the fact that Martial's lazy attitude will never change - it's who he is.

I honestly believe he's a part-time player...
If the season was 19 games long he'd motivate himself a bit more.

As it is I just think he see's the season as one long slog, and in my opinion he can't be bothered.

In terms of his development, his lazy attitude will never allow him to fulfill his potential (that being a potential that so many supporter's think he is able to reach).

Sadly the Martial that we have seen over the past 5 years, is as good as it is ever going to get.

Davie Moyes

Right after last night's shite show particularly from Martial get this guy in. I don't care which one is Martial or Rashy is displaced or moved around.

The Boy

Supports
Brighton and Hove Albion
I'm tempted tp put a cheeky tenner on you selling Pogba and buying both Grealish and Sancho this summer - I wonder what the odds would be

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
I'm tempted tp put a cheeky tenner on you selling Pogba and buying both Grealish and Sancho this summer - I wonder what the odds would be
This is making me horny.

Grealish, Sancho, VDB, Bruno, Rashford and Greenwood is looking like a gorgeous team. Add some Rice in and it may be not too far off some balance.

The Boy

Supports
Brighton and Hove Albion
This is making me horny.

Grealish, Sancho, VDB, Bruno, Rashford and Greenwood is looking like a gorgeous team. Add some Rice in and it may be not too far off some balance.
I said last season that if you could sign Sancho, Rice and Grealish you'd be looking pretty damn good, then covid appeared...!

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Him all day long. Put him left wing as an inside forward/attacking playmaker and shift Rashford to the right rotating with Greenwood.

Sell Martial.
Definitely this. It's all plusses. Rashford may actually kick on with competition, and we'll have great depth/rotation options.

GueRed

FINALLY people seeing what a top player Grealish is.

He has the minerals too. He isnt their club captain for nothing.

Lad has got talent in abundance AND attitude.