Jack Grealish

Posh Red

I didn't watch the game yesterday but is anyone else amazed at how much press Grealish's performance is getting considering England lost 2-0 and are out of the Nations League (I think)?

You would think he was Gareth Bale in the 4-3 loss against Inter the way he's dominated the sports pages.

Was he really that good or is this just a case of overhyping the best performer in a poor loss under a poor system?
He has been really good but I think Southgate’s reluctance to select him has added to furore somewhat

dal

Yes, yes, yes.

And who do we buy, DVB. I don’t even know what he can do. Seems like Herrera without the bite.

£40 million more and we would have had a difference maker. One who would get plenty of games on the left. Plenty of games on the right and plenty of games in the middle.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
What were the club thinking buying an experienced Champions League player from a club with a good track record of developing players instead of a guy who spent a few seasons in the championship and was double the cost?

Mindhunter

Yes, yes, yes.

And who do we buy, DVB. I don’t even know what he can do. Seems like Herrera without the bite.

£40 million more and we would have had a difference maker. One who would get plenty of games on the left. Plenty of games on the right and plenty of games in the middle.
Just 40m more and I wouldn't have to worry about anything in my life. Ever again.

Wilt

We may have missed the boat, when Villa are ready to sell it’ll be more than just Utd interested.

RedDevilCanuck

Quite dreamy - blue eyes, blond hair, tanned skin
I didn't watch the game yesterday but is anyone else amazed at how much press Grealish's performance is getting considering England lost 2-0 and are out of the Nations League (I think)?

You would think he was Gareth Bale in the 4-3 loss against Inter the way he's dominated the sports pages.

Was he really that good or is this just a case of overhyping the best performer in a poor loss under a poor system?
He played like he always plays. But there was added pressure as he is trying to convince Southgate that he should start.

The thing is - he was the best and most technical player on the pitch by far and this was against Belgium who have KDB and other star players. England were just shit and setup shit because Southgate is shit.

Dante

Average bang
Over the summer, he was apparently only worth his £45m release clause and not a penny more.

Fast forward a few weeks, and the majority of the Caf has finally woken up to Grealish's actual quality. It goes to show how hype was more important than reality. Now it's got to the point the reality can no longer be ignored.

Again, it's only been a few weeks since his summer move was being shat upon in the Transfer Forum. Nothing has changed other than the momentum of opinion.

United in sin

I was clamoring for his signing when we were first linked to him last season. Im still glad we got VDB as for me they are like for iike players. It would be hard to fit Grealish in at this point in time with VDB and Bruno.

Walters_19_MuFc

Rashford started the season well up top this season and stretches teams a lot more than Martial.

I look at players like Haaland and Vardy and they're relentlessly using their pace to get in behind. Rashford has that natural pace and could quite easily cause the same amount of damage, in my opinion.

If we were to move him to the striker positon, it would allow us to go and get someone who is possibly my dream signing - Jack Grealish.

He'd automatically slot into that left midfielder role, where he'd have the licence to cut in and create.

Rashford
Van de Beek
Grealish Fred Bruno Greenwood
Telles Maguire Lindelof Wan-Bissaka
De Gea

Yagami

Good post resistant
What were the club thinking buying an experienced Champions League player from a club with a good track record of developing players instead of a guy who spent a few seasons in the championship and was double the cost?
Grealish is a lot better. The club deeming £40m for Donny as a better deal than £80m for Grealish was, as usual from us, poor business. Anyone who watched both knew that.

This is what I'm talking about, @Winzaghi . Donny is nowhere near Grealish but, because he's played in the CL, people think he's better. Horsey is doing his usual bit but this is what our fans thought in general over the summer before and why I was a man alone on an island saying the opposite.

Renegade

As good as Grealish is. Spending £80m on competition for Rashford / Bruno isn’t sensible. Unless Ole changes from his 4231 I can’t see how people can be angry at us not signing him for that much money.

romufc

As good as Grealish is. Spending £80m on competition for Rashford / Bruno isn’t sensible. Unless Ole changes from his 4231 I can’t see how people can be angry at us not signing him for that much money.
Manutd fan base for you... cry when we dont have him, cry when we spend.

Maguire is a classic example, I did not see many saying no dont need him, it was announce Maguire, now its a waste of £80m?

I do not think he was worth that but neither do I think he is crap.

Grealish is someone who is a brilliant talent but no way was he worth £80m in the summer.

Renegade

Manutd fan base for you... cry when we dont have him, cry when we spend.

Maguire is a classic example, I did not see many saying no dont need him, it was announce Maguire, now its a waste of £80m?

I do not think he was worth that but neither do I think he is crap.

Grealish is someone who is a brilliant talent but no way was he worth £80m in the summer.
100%. His an incredible player but we can’t have everyone. 2 of our best players play in his position. If Villa got relegated then by all means go all out. The moment Villa stayed up I knew it wasn’t possible. Unfortunate as he’d be great to have.

Cover/alternative for Bruno was 100% necessary so we don’t have to watch Andreas and Lingard again. Just not for almost double the price we paid for Bruno.

romufc

100%. His an incredible player but we can’t have everyone. 2 of our best players play in his position. If Villa got relegated then by all means go all out. The moment Villa stayed up I knew it wasn’t possible. Unfortunate as he’d be great to have.

Cover/alternative for Bruno was 100% necessary so we don’t have to watch Andreas and Lingard again. Just not for almost double the price we paid for Bruno.
Agreed. Also we have to also realise players have purple patches. This time last year, the hype was all about James Maddison and he was top of our priority and worth £80m. Would you pay £80m for him now?

We need to stop buying players on form. That's when you make mistakes on players. There has to be a proper scouting and buying process which I do not think we have and will ever have under this regime.

We are very reactionary, building for the future cannot be that. If we want to spend £60-80m on Grealish, we need to know what position he comes in. I.e Sancho, we know he would start on the right hand side.

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
Is there anything more "United supporter like" than to be wanting Grealish now that his cost will be enormous yet several were saying we should get him a few years ago when he would be affordable and those same supporters were saying "he's not United quality"...

Judas

Open to offers
Is there anything more "United supporter like" than to be wanting Grealish now that his cost will be enormous yet several were saying we should get him a few years ago when he would be affordable and those same supporters were saying "he's not United quality"...
It's the SadCafe way. You don't even need to go back years, just go back a few months and so many on here were against his signing. Quite simply a very silly bunch. Gutted we didn't get him.

James Peril

Wouldn’t say it’s a Man Utd-thing, people generally play down players from lesser teams because they are playing there, and obviously because they haven’t seen them enough to really comment at all. There are tons of signings like Steve Sidwell, but sometimes there is a Sadio Mané. Grealish is in the latter category naturally.

Smores

We'd only really need him on the left so then you're dropping one of Martial or Rashford. When we've got positions that need filling it would have been ridiculous to spend 80 million on him.

wolvored

I would put money on him not performing here like he does for the Villa. Everything goes through him there. here he would be competing with Bruno and Pogba and Ole would have him on the bench like VDB, a few mins here, a few mins there. McTom/Fred would get more game time.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
I would put money on him not performing here like he does for the Villa. Everything goes through him there. here he would be competing with Bruno and Pogba and Ole would have him on the bench like VDB, a few mins here, a few mins there. McTom/Fred would get more game time.
He's only had 2 games for England though and he seems to be able to find that ability to make everything go through him.

lex talionis

Jack would be a fantastic addition to the squad, but the concern that we’d inevitably turn him into a crap footballer is not without merit.

But that aside, it seems to me we’d have to drop Pogba to make room for Grealish in the starting XI. The next two months are key: if Pogba continues to perform poorly we might as well sell him at a loss to Real. And use whatever we’ve got in the bank to fund Grealish. The Sancho ship has sailed by.

Yagami

Good post resistant
I don't think Grealish would turn rubbish here.

Unlike our other recent signings post Sir Alex, he's not a player that relies on needing a specific system and/or excellent teammates to flourish. He's the type of player that lifts those around him because of his attributes. Both technical and mental.

Walters_19_MuFc

I don't think Grealish would turn rubbish here.

Unlike our other recent signings post Sir Alex, he's not a player that relies on needing a specific system and/or excellent teammates to flourish. He's the type of player that lifts those around him because of his attributes. Both technical and mental.
Exactly this. We've seen how easy he's found it to transition from club to international stage. In only a couple of games, he's already become one of our (England) most talked about players due to his performances.

Womp

idiot
We didn't buy Grealish as we expected to get Sancho over the line imo, but we royally fecked that one.

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
Wouldn’t say it’s a Man Utd-thing, people generally play down players from lesser teams because they are playing there, and obviously because they haven’t seen them enough to really comment at all. There are tons of signings like Steve Sidwell, but sometimes there is a Sadio Mané. Grealish is in the latter category naturally.
Heard in TheCaf "Why did we spend our CR7 money on a player like Valencia"

Also heard in TheCaf "We should be buying players like Mane"

RedDevilCanuck

Quite dreamy - blue eyes, blond hair, tanned skin
He was this good all last season.

As a team we can't even keep the ball against relegation teams.

He hardly loses the ball all while tictating the game and providing key passes, goals and assists.

When a player is this good, you get him if he wants to come.

Mainoldo

Nothings wrong with changing your opinion. It just shows you have the ability to accept when you was wrong.

I didn’t think this guy was special when he was being pushed on us and starting FA Cup finals for Villa. But his last year in the Championship changed my view.

Players naturally mature and also not everyone has the time to watch a lot of football outside United.

United in sin

Grealish and VdB?
Yes. They are both technically adept and tactically astute players who can operate in multiple and similar attacking roles in my opinion. I think VDB was purchased as the cheaper alternative going by the rumored mooted transfer fee for Grealish

James Peril

I think he would make 14th placed Man United or whatever it is play better football than they are doing now, that’s for sure.

Thiagoal

Wow! This kid is seriously going through the gears in his career! Looking fantastic again tonight!

Teja

I'm a huge fan, I think he'll displace Rashford on the left if he comes in.

laughtersassassin

Most talented player for England I've seen for years. Ok it's only Iceland but he's something special!
Been their best player for all 3 internationals. Thought he was fantastic against Belgium in the second half even though England didn't come back.

Maureen-yo

He’s a quality player but he slows play down an awful lot doesn’t he, prefers to square his man up seemingly every time rather than play quick passes.

Disclaimer: I’ve only seen him a handful of times.