Jack Grealish

passing-wind

People willing to write our players off for the admiration of a shiny new toy it's laughable but typical of fan sentiment. I'd completely agree to move the mould of our first 11 if we are talking about a genuine generational level of talent.

Grealish being levels above Rashford / Bruno.... that is a true cry for help toward the criteria of delusion. Statistically they are above Grealish in overall contribution. One common theme that everyone attributes is maybe Jack's ability to keep the ball tightly which is good but does this make or break a footballer ? If that's the case then Adama is the best player in the league in consecutive seasons. Grealish needs to offer a lot more to get us to write off Rashford / Bruno from our starting 11 that is the crux of the issue. Not to mention spending 100 million on a player where other areas of the squad have glaring weaknesses.

Last edited:

Idxomer

People willing to write our players off for the admiration of a shiny new toy it's laughable but typical of fan sentiment. I'd completely agree to move the mould of our first 11 if we are talking about a genuine generational level of talent.

Grealish being levels above Rashford / Bruno.... that is a true cry for help toward the criteria of delusion. Statistically they are above Grealish in overall contribution. One common theme that everyone attributes is maybe Jack's ability to keep the ball tightly which is good but does this make or break a footballer ? If that's the case then Adama is the best player in the league in consecutive seasons. Grealish needs to offer a lot more to get us to write off Rashford / Bruno from our starting 11 that is the crux of the issue.
You just compared Grealish to Adama Traore which makes me believe you haven't actually watched much of him.

Idxomer

Where do you see a comparison ? Please review the context of what's written.
Mentioning Adama makes no sense. Grealish doesn't keep the ball for the sake of it, one of his best attributes is knowing when to release it.

His decision making and final ball execution are consistently excellent which can't be said for any of our attackers this season.

passing-wind

Mentioning Adama makes no sense. Grealish doesn't keep the ball for the sake of it, one of his best attributes is knowing when to release it.

His decision making and final ball execution are consistently excellent which can't be said for any of our attackers this season.
Adama does make sense he's the best when it comes to successful dribbles in the league. Being a good dribbler doesn't convey being the best player in the league.

But if that's the case why has Bruno got the better stats in areas that measure execution. Rashford's performances haven't been great this season but he's still productive. If Grealish is in the best form of his life and still can't edge the margins in comparison to our attackers does this not show that he's being overhyped while our players are being underrated. Grealish might have good attributes but he's not doing it enough to dislodge one of our attackers indefinitely.

I've edited as I don't want it to seem like I'm against the player that's not my motivation. Personally I can't see us spending the money on him given the circumstances of our team. He's a quality player will likely do well depending on where he moves.

Last edited:

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
Adama does make sense he's the best when it comes to successful dribbles in the league. Being a good dribbler doesn't convey being the best player in the league.

But if that's the case why has Bruno got the better stats in areas that measure execution. Rashford's performances haven't been great this season but he's still productive. If Grealish is in the best form of his life and still can't edge the margins in comparison to our attackers does this not show that he's being overhyped while our players are being underrated. Grealish might have good attributes but he's not doing it enough to dislodge one of our attackers indefinitely.

I've edited as I don't want it to seem like I'm against the player that's not my motivation. Personally I can't see us spending the money on him given the circumstances of our team. He's a quality player will likely do well depending on where he moves.
Grealish has been one of the most consistent performers in the league so far this season.
He would walk into any team without doubt.
I would have him over Pogba, even with Pogbas improved form.
Grealish impacts every game he plays, even if the stats that you refer to don't show it. Stats such as attacking chances created show Grealish third under KDB and Bruno, he's third in assists.
He's quality and would improve us considerably.

Yagami

Good post resistant
Well we will have to agree to disagree. Bruno has taken up a whole new level. And has outshone everyone in the league since he arrived.
As for him stat padding, he literally scored the winner again Pool in the FA cup barely a week back. Grealish is a fine player but since he plays for Villa and is their talisman, there's a lot of focus on him. Him and Bruno are practically the same age and this is his first big season.
Don't get me wrong. I'm not downplaying the impact Bruno's had. No doubting he's improved us. I don't agree he's outshone everyone in the league, though, and I think Jack would take us to an even better level. I think he'd take any team in the league to a better level; including City.

There's a lot of focus on Grealish because he's the best player in the league. Also, what do you mean by "big season" ? Bruno didn't really have a big season until a year ago if you're talking about playing at the highest level consistently?
On the ball, I agree. But players spend most of the games of the ball. And Bruno is one of the best of the ball. They would be great next to each other.
Definitely. I think having Grealish here would get the best out of everyone. He's the type of player who's presence lifts a team.

I'm hoping Southgate notices that, too!

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
No hyperbole. Bruno isn't on his level.
:rolleyes: Alright then let's calm down. Grealish is quality and a different type of player. He'll never be as productive as Bruno, but he's probably easier on the eye. Depends on teams needs. To say Bruno isn't on his level is just dumb though. De Bruyne, at his best, is the best attacking mid in the world. Bruno is on the next level with a few others, Grealish of this season probably there as well. But let's not pretend like he's the best player in the world now.

bosnian_red

He is though. Look at the statistics.
In the premier league - Grealish has 6 goals and 9 assists in 1707 minutes, Bruno has 11 goals and 7 assists in 1752 minutes... Last season Grealish had 8 goals and 6 assists in 3234 minutes, Bruno had 8 goals and 7 assists in 1223 minutes.

Thats more than just a bit of a difference.

Mcking

In the premier league - Grealish has 6 goals and 9 assists in 1707 minutes, Bruno has 11 goals and 7 assists in 1752 minutes... Last season Grealish had 8 goals and 6 assists in 3234 minutes, Bruno had 8 goals and 7 assists in 1223 minutes.

Five of Bruno's goals are penalties which Grealish doesn't take for some reason. Grealish makes as much chances as Bruno as well.

Winzaghi

Supports
Aston Villa

Grealish vs Bruno - Chances created: 67 vs 60

Jack also doesn't take set pieces (maybe he takes 1 or 2 long free kick per game). No penalties.

3 less goal involvements with inferior forward players. I think there's less of a difference here than you're making out.

bosnian_red

Grealish vs Bruno - Chances created: 67 vs 60

Jack also doesn't take set pieces (maybe he takes 1 or 2 long free kick per game). No penalties.

3 less goal involvements with inferior forward players. I think there's less of a difference here than you're making out.
Sure if you assume that Grealish's half season is his new normal when Bruno has been doing this rate of productivity for a full year at United and 2 years at Sporting before this... He's an excellent player and an excellent creator, but id be willing to bet that over time, Bruno would just be more productive. Anyway. Similar level is fine with me. KdB is ahead of both as the best in the world anyway, both would be on the tier below.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
I dont know why we are rating Bruno to Grealish.

It's not about whose better, it's the fact that we are overly reliant on Bruno.

Messi isnt good enough to win CL's and titles as much without Iniestas and Xavis - Bruno will not be able to do much if he is the only top player we have.

We need more and Grealish is available.

Davie Moyes

I was unsure regarding Grealish previously mainly down to not watching enough of him and could not understand those rating him better than Bruno and Rashford. However this season he's gone up several levels and is exactly what we need to play alongside Bruno and Rashford. We need a player that can create, score but most importantly retain possession like he does so well.

NK86

Don't get me wrong. I'm not downplaying the impact Bruno's had. No doubting he's improved us. I don't agree he's outshone everyone in the league, though, and I think Jack would take us to an even better level. I think he'd take any team in the league to a better level; including City.

There's a lot of focus on Grealish because he's the best player in the league. Also, what do you mean by "big season" ? Bruno didn't really have a big season until a year ago if you're talking about playing at the highest level consistently?

Definitely. I think having Grealish here would get the best out of everyone. He's the type of player who's presence lifts a team.

I'm hoping Southgate notices that, too!
I meant Grealish is stepping up just now having been in the championship for a while. As for Bruno, stats wise and impact wise he has been better than Grealish since Jan '20. I will still like Grealish in this team but not at the expense of Bruno but more like providing Rashford and co competition as I don't see Grealish displacing Bruno as our #10. Maybe barring De Bruyne, no one in this league can.

Sylar

He creates a lot of chances. Would hate to see him join another team in this league

Ideally joins us. But it he doesn't stays at villa or goes abroad

Bwuk

I don’t think it’s fair to compare Grealish and Bruno. Look at the players Bruno has surrounding him in comparison.

Both are top top players. I don’t think Grealish will ever score/assist as many as Bruno, but I think Grealish could probably play a bit deeper than Bruno can.

manutddjw

Great player and I want us to sign him. Having said that, what are people on about with him being a Pogba replacement which has been said probably a hundred times in this thread and the Pogba thread. Grealish plays as a 10 or on the wing. He certainly doesn’t play deeper like Pogba and won’t be used next to Matic, mctominay or Fred. A great addition yes, but definitely not a Pogba replacement.

bosnian_red

We need more and Grealish is available
Aside from team fits/needs and whatever else - why do people think he's available? He just signed a new contract and Villa are rich. If he wanted to leave, he would've done it last summer, or put a release clause in his contract. They wouldn't sell him for anything apart from an insanely crazy offer overshooting what he's worth.

Renegade

I don’t think it’s fair to compare Grealish and Bruno. Look at the players Bruno has surrounding him in comparison.

Both are top top players. I don’t think Grealish will ever score/assist as many as Bruno, but I think Grealish could probably play a bit deeper than Bruno can.
What’s that based off? Im sure Bruno has more experience playing as 8 than Grealish has.

Brightonian

I've rarely seen anyone have such an impeccable season, especially outside of the very top clubs. I've seen seven or eight full matches from him so far this season, and he's not laid a foot wrong in any of them. Just a joy to watch.

I think our current players are superb. I also think he should without doubt be our #1 target in the summer, especially if Pogba leaves but even if he doesn't. Those two positions aren't mutually exclusive.

And although he plays nominally on the left for Villa, there's absolutely nothing to suggest he wouldn't do just as well from a #10 or #8 position. His game is incredibly well rounded.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach

Grealish being levels above Rashford / Bruno.... that is a true cry for help toward the criteria of delusion. Statistically they are above Grealish in overall contribution. One common theme that everyone attributes is maybe Jack's ability to keep the ball tightly which is good but does this make or break a footballer ? If that's the case then Adama is the best player in the league in consecutive seasons. Grealish needs to offer a lot more to get us to write off Rashford / Bruno from our starting 11 that is the crux of the issue. Not to mention spending 100 million on a player where other areas of the squad have glaring weaknesses.
You obviously do not watch Grealish, if you think there's even the slightest comparison between how Grealish and Traore play.
Grealish isn't a physical freak specimen who can probably compete with actual sprinters, he's a classy ball player with an incredible ability to hold it and make the right pass. Talking about "stats" is ridiculous when comparing against players in better teams too. If Villa players converted even 50% of the chances Grealish created, he'd be the top assist maker in the league by a mile.

You are right about the cost though.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
He got booked today for beating Willian to a header.
Was absolutely ridiculous. I thought I'd missed dissent or something.
Am glad that wasn't in that 3-4 game run where a booking would have ruled him out for a game!

dal

Great player and I want us to sign him. Having said that, what are people on about with him being a Pogba replacement which has been said probably a hundred times in this thread and the Pogba thread. Grealish plays as a 10 or on the wing. He certainly doesn’t play deeper like Pogba and won’t be used next to Matic, mctominay or Fred. A great addition yes, but definitely not a Pogba replacement.
Grealish could easily achieve the same standards in the job Pogba doesn’t do very well which is play as a central midfielder in a two.

He’s so intelligent he can play in a two but just not in the big games where he’s Would do a better job than Pogba in the front 4.

He closes down brilliantly and keeps the ball brilliantly he can definitely do a job there.

He would replace Pogba in our squad but be an upgrade, a Phillips type would replace Matic and actual footballer would replace VDB.

Grealish, Rashford, Cavani, Greenwood, Diallo, Haaland, Bruno

Fred, Mctominay, Phillips, VDB replacement.

That’s a proper fully rebuilt CM and forward line with pogba, Martial and Matic replaced.

Then it’s just squad management, 1 in, 1 out youth promotion.

We must buy Grealish, he takes us up levels.

hubbuh

What’s that based off? Im sure Bruno has more experience playing as 8 than Grealish has.
Grealish has the vision, intelligence, and ball-carrying abilities to be our KdB! More seriously, if Pogba is able to play in our midfield I see absolutely no reason why Grealish couldn't.