Jack Grealish

Walters_19_MuFc

How you don't want to see this at United is just beyond belief.

"Ohh.. but there's this X playing there, so we don't need him". SAF didn't care much about Rooney's feeling when he signed RVP. Or Nani's when he signed Valencia.

Sir Alex did constantly improve our squad, regardless of what he had, but I think because we were dominating the league back then, he had the luxury to do so, whereas we have more pressing issues we need to address under Ole.

That being said, I remember the centre midfield position being constantly ignored by Sir Alex.

Who knows?

Grealish would be my dream signing. Everything about him just screams United to me but RW, CM, ST and CB are more of a priority, in my opinion.

Maybe we could get him and put him on the right.

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
If we can’t get Haaland then we should get this lad and Sancho and watch our attack be completely transformed.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
If we can’t get Haaland then we should get this lad and Sancho and watch our attack be completely transformed.
Still need a top class 9 who can score 20+ league goals.

Yagami

Good post resistant
Best player , nope

One of the top 10 players this season , Yes
I'd say top 3 at least. Only De Bryune and Kane are his competition. I'd say Van Dijk, too, but he's out.
Not even top 5.

KDB, Sterling, Kane, Bruno, Salah, Mane, Virgil, Son are clearly above him.

He's been great this season but lets not blow things out of proportion.
I'm not basing my opinion on only this season, though. I mean, I was like the only person on here saying we should pay whatever Villa wanted while we could and now he'll cost even more.

And Sterling, Bruno, Son, Salah and Mane aren't as good, imo. De Bryune and Kane, yes. Virgil's injury takes him out of the best players list here currently, but yes, he'd be there otherwise. Top 4 at least for me.

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
Still need a top class 9 who can score 20+ league goals.
I don’t disagree, I just think with those two we will play some amazing football.

Outside of Haaland I really don’t know what strikers we can look at.

SeanyC

Just wish villa went down last season, this lad will cost us an arm, leg and a few toes

SAFMUTD

I'd say top 3 at least. Only De Bryune and Kane are his competition. I'd say Van Dijk, too, but he's out.

I'm not basing my opinion on only this season, though. I mean, I was like the only person on here saying we should pay whatever Villa wanted while we could and now he'll cost even more.

And Sterling, Bruno, Son, Salah and Mane aren't as good, imo. De Bryune and Kane, yes. Virgil's injury takes him out of the best players list here currently, but yes, he'd be there otherwise. Top 4 at least for me.
There’s nothing that support your opinion sadly, hasn’t won player of the month nearly as many times as the other, hasnt been on the premier league team of the year while the others have, his assists and goal taly doesnt back him up to that level either.

football is an appreciation sport but I think you’ll find hard to actually find proof to support that Grealish is a top 3 player in the league.

MongeySpangle

Supports
Manchester City

He’s bloody good. Top 10 for me though. I’d say De Bruyne, Bruno, Kane, Son, Sterling, Salah and Mane are all above him.

This season he’s been better than all bar Kane, Gundogan and possibly Bruno and Salah (in terms of attacking players) so by that metric he’s definitely up there.

Regardless, he’s a world class player that would get into any team in the league, comfortably.

passing-wind

How you don't want to see this at United is just beyond belief.

"Ohh.. but there's this X playing there, so we don't need him". SAF didn't care much about Rooney's feeling when he signed RVP. Or Nani's when he signed Valencia.

What's the point of using the comparison with the best manager and the club during its most competitive era. We are 17 points behind the league leaders and have Solskjaer in charge. It's common sense to address the weaker areas in the team before backing the more efficient areas. If the club had the money to get quality in multiple positions then absolutely but as it stands Grealish means no progress for the right wing, defence which are priorities.

cyberman

He’s bloody good. Top 10 for me though. I’d say De Bruyne, Bruno, Kane, Son, Sterling, Salah and Mane are all above him.

This season he’s been better than all bar Kane, Gundogan and possibly Bruno and Salah (in terms of attacking players) so by that metric he’s definitely up there.

Regardless, he’s a world class player that would get into any team in the league, comfortably.
He doesnt score and assist enough to displace a Son or Rashford. He really needs to be moved infield in the modern game since inside forwards goal contributions are so vital, especially with the false 9 type forwards that are favoured.
If he gets in our side he replaces one of the best inside left forwards in Europe and it takes so many goals out of the team.
Maybe a KDB role would suit him better that allows his lack of prowess in front of goal.

andersj

Nick Powell Expert
He doesnt score and assist enough to displace a Son or Rashford.
Should we not factor in the team he plays for?

- Playing for Villa he is the player in the PL with most shot creating actions and goal creating actions in the PL, according to Statsbomb.

- KdB is the only player in the PL with a higher xga per 90 min, 0,43 vs 0,37. Bruno is at 0,35.

- The only players in the PL with more passes and crosses into the penalty box per 90 min is TAA (3,11 + 0,78), Bruno (2,88 + 0,26) and KdB (3,49 + 0,42). Grealish is at 2,86 + 0,18.

- However, Grealish is also by far the player in the PL with most carries into the penalty area (and neither KdB, Bruno or TAA comes close). Grealish has 3,41 per games. The next two players on the list is Mahrez (2,37) and Sterling (2,20).

- In other words, while playing for Villa Grealish is the player who brings the ball into the penalty area most often.

- The stats above indicates that he takes risk with the ball, but his completion rate is significantly higher than Bruno and KdB. Again, despite playing for Villa. 78,1 %, 75,7 % and 74,3 %. He also very rarely give away the ball.

Very few players are so progressive and successfull both in terms of carrying, passing and holding on to the ball. The numbers underline that he is a very complete attacker. Three players with similar stats are Messi, Sancho and Hazard during his days at Chelsea. Messi, as you would expect, in a league of his own.

I can hardly remember seeing a player so much better than all the other players on his team in the PL. In my opinion, he is very similar to Eden Hazard at Chelsea. But Hazard always benefited from playing at a better team. Hazard was probably/maybe more talented, but Grealish appears to be more of a team player in my opinion. Less arrogant and with more effort.

IMO, Sancho is a very good option to Grealish. But like Hazard, Sancho is a bit less mature in his game (more arrogant, not as hard-working). I would also argue that doing what Grealish do at Villa is more difficult. It is beneficial to play with Haaland and Reus compared to Watkins. Bundesliga is also very attacking in its nature.

cyberman

Should we not factor in the team he plays for?

- Playing for Villa he is the player in the PL with most shot creating actions and goal creating actions in the PL, according to Statsbomb.

- KdB is the only player in the PL with a higher xga per 90 min, 0,43 vs 0,37. Bruno is at 0,35.

- The only players in the PL with more passes and crosses into the penalty box per 90 min is TAA (3,11 + 0,78), Bruno (2,88 + 0,26) and KdB (3,49 + 0,42). Grealish is at 2,86 + 0,18.

- However, Grealish is also by far the player in the PL with most carries into the penalty area (and neither KdB, Bruno or TAA comes close). Grealish has 3,41 per games. The next two players on the list is Mahrez (2,37) and Sterling (2,20).

- In other words, while playing for Villa Grealish is the player who brings the ball into the penalty area most often.

- The stats above indicates that he takes risk with the ball, but his completion rate is significantly higher than Bruno and KdB. Again, despite playing for Villa. 78,1 %, 75,7 % and 74,3 %. He also very rarely give away the ball.

Very few players are so progressive and successfull both in terms of carrying, passing and holding on to the ball. The numbers underline that he is a very complete attacker. Three players with similar stats are Messi, Sancho and Hazard during his days at Chelsea. Messi, as you would expect, in a league of his own.

I can hardly remember seeing a player so much better than all the other players on his team in the PL. In my opinion, he is very similar to Eden Hazard at Chelsea. But Hazard always benefited from playing at a better team. Hazard was probably/maybe more talented, but Grealish appears to be more of a team player in my opinion. Less arrogant and with more effort.

IMO, Sancho is a very good option to Grealish. But like Hazard, Sancho is a bit less mature in his game (more arrogant, not as hard-working). I would also argue that doing what Grealish do at Villa is more difficult. It is beneficial to play with Haaland and Reus compared to Watkins. Bundesliga is also very attacking in its nature.
But also, everything goes through Jack at Villa. Most of that isnt needed at a bigger club imo. Sharing responsibility with Bruno, Rashford and the likes will see a lot of those stats naturally go down. Im not comparing the 2 but Lingards stats are excellent at West Ham because they are always looking for him.
Its why Brunos assists stats are a bit overrated with us, hes always looking for the ball and gets it. I dont think hes one of the best assist makers in the league, he just always gets the ball with Rashford etc making runs behind (if that makes sense) its more of a law of probability with Bruno since he tries the killer pass so many times.
Its always looking for Jack which worries me about his goal record. He gets the ball where and when he wants it but doesnt score. If he wasnt replacing a goalscorer it wouldn't be a problem.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
But also, everything goes through Jack at Villa. Most of that isnt needed at a bigger club imo. Sharing responsibility with Bruno, Rashford and the likes will see a lot of those stats naturally go down. Im not comparing the 2 but Lingards stats are excellent at West Ham because they are always looking for him.
Its why Brunos assists stats are a bit overrated with us, hes always looking for the ball and gets it. I dont think hes one of the best assist makers in the league, he just always gets the ball with Rashford etc making runs behind (if that makes sense) its more of a law of probability with Bruno since he tries the killer pass so many times.
Its always looking for Jack which worries me about his goal record. He gets the ball where and when he wants it but doesnt score. If he wasnt replacing a goalscorer it wouldn't be a problem.
Every team in the league has a most creative player. Someone they’re relying on to create. The reason Grealish and Bruno have such impressive stats is because they’re better at their job than all those other creative players. Which is why they both belong at clubs trying to win the biggest trophies.

Obviously, having more than one world class creator would improve both United and Villa. Which we can see by the way both team’s performances/results fall off a cliff without Bruno/Grealish. Having two of them in the same team at once would be a sensational combination.

andersj

Nick Powell Expert
Sharing responsibility with Bruno, Rashford and the likes will see a lot of those stats naturally go down.
Are you sure? There is also benefits of playing at better teams with better players. His share of the ball might go down, but the team he plays for will have the ball significantly more. City and Liverpool have 40 % more touches in the final third than Villa.

I also think these good players would be able to put him into dangerous areas of the pitch more often than his team mates at Villa.

I think a comparable case is Mahrez to Man City from Leicester. First, please not that the underlying stats of Grealish is a lot better than Mahrez at Leicester (passes and carries into the penalty area, goal and shot creating actions etc). Mahrez was a bigger goal threath in 15/16, but that was a huge outlier.

Mahrez underlying stats at City is significantly better than it was at Leicester. The only area Mahrez has not improved much is actual output (goals and assists) compared to the freak season of 15/16. But if you compare Mahrez average goal/assist per 90 min at City it is significantly better than goal/assist per 90 min at Leicester overall.

My prediction is that if Grealish join Man Utd or Man City, his numbers will improve significantly. Just like Mahrez.

cyberman

Every team in the league has a most creative player. Someone they’re relying on to create. The reason Grealish and Bruno have such impressive stats is because they’re better at their job than all those other creative players. Which is why they both belong at clubs trying to win the biggest trophies.

Obviously, having more than one world class creator would improve both United and Villa. Which we can see by the way both team’s performances/results fall off a cliff without Bruno/Grealish. Having two of them in the same team at once would be a sensational combination.
But Bruno scores goals. Say Jack replaces Rashford or Son. Who does he actually create for? At least Bruno picks up the slack in front of goal. Unless Kane or Bruno suddenly scores double the goals then surely it creates its own problem?
Its not as if we haven't seen this with Pogba being a bit put out with an equally creative player in Bruno beside him.

Yagami

Good post resistant
There’s nothing that support your opinion sadly, hasn’t won player of the month nearly as many times as the other, hasnt been on the premier league team of the year while the others have, his assists and goal taly doesnt back him up to that level either.

football is an appreciation sport but I think you’ll find hard to actually find proof to support that Grealish is a top 3 player in the league.
I don't judge players on player of the months, team of the years, etc, and, even though he's a lot more than goals and assists, which what makes him special, I don't think his G+A tally is bad at all.

To each their own, mate. Gundogan definitely deserves a shout, too, yeah.
He doesnt score and assist enough to displace a Son or Rashford. He really needs to be moved infield in the modern game since inside forwards goal contributions are so vital, especially with the false 9 type forwards that are favoured.
If he gets in our side he replaces one of the best inside left forwards in Europe and it takes so many goals out of the team.
Maybe a KDB role would suit him better that allows his lack of prowess in front of goal.
I have to disagree there. David Silva as a wide playmaker in 13/14 managed 7 goals and 12 assists in a team that won the league; scoring 102 goals in the process.

Grealish already has 6 goals and 10 assists.

Point is players like Grealish are a lot more than goals and assists. Their influence on their teams play is something that can't be measured by stats, and that's what makes the likes of Grealish and Silva types special.

Lappen

Sir Alex did constantly improve our squad, regardless of what he had, but I think because we were dominating the league back then, he had the luxury to do so, whereas we have more pressing issues we need to address under Ole.

That being said, I remember the centre midfield position being constantly ignored by Sir Alex.

Who knows?

Grealish would be my dream signing. Everything about him just screams United to me but RW, CM, ST and CB are more of a priority, in my opinion.

Maybe we could get him and put him on the right.
Would be a great signing, and if Pogba leave it would be weary important to replace him this year.
If we do sign a CDM I think Grealish would be better for us than Pogba because of his consistence performance. Only worries I have is that he find his teammates head close to the goal a lot. That doesn't suites the attacking players like Rsshford Grenwood, Martial, James and probably not Amad either. And it suites us even worse if Cavani leave. But I guess that is not on Grealish :0)

marktan

If we were to spend big money Id much rather it be on him than Sancho or Halaand.

The lad would massively improve us.

Rashfords not too bad on the right either, so we could go with that setup instead of sign-in a RW.

Or if Newcastle get relegated also sign Saint-Max on the cheap and you have a front line that can compete with the best in Europe.

The only thing that would be missing from a complete team would be a Fabinho like DM, with Mctominay playing as a box to box, and possibly an attacking RB. I know people want a new CF, but I think we have more pressing concerns, plus Martial has shown last season that he can score, and his all round play is better than most forwards so I have no qualms keeping him there.

So really for me 3 singings away from being a top team, but somehow the summer window will turn into a shit show singing all the wrong players for the wrong prices.

I don't judge players on player of the months, team of the years, etc, and, even though he's a lot more than goals and assists, which what makes him special, I don't think his G+A tally is bad at all.

I have to disagree there. David Silva as a wide playmaker in 13/14 managed 7 goals and 12 assists in a team that won the league; scoring 102 goals in the process.

Point is players like Grealish are a lot more than goals and assists. Their influence on their teams play is something that can't be measured by stats, and that's what makes the likes of Grealish and Silva types special.
assists have ruined the game in this respect.

cyberman

Football has moved on a lot since then though. Sterling came in soon after for a reason, inside forwards were just coming to the fore. Its why they spent a fortune on Sterling and moved David inside.
Thats my point really. Jack needs to move inside if he joins an elite side as well.

Yagami

Good post resistant
Football has moved on a lot since then though. Sterling came in soon after for a reason, inside forwards were just coming to the fore. Its why they spent a fortune on Sterling and moved David inside.
Thats my point really. Jack needs to move inside if he joins an elite side as well.
I agree with that. Even though I do think he'd still be an asset on the left for any team, his future should be centrally. I'm hoping to see him there for England (as well as Foden) but Southgate worries me with his love of Mount.

SAFMUTD

I don't judge players on player of the months, team of the years, etc, and, even though he's a lot more than goals and assists, which what makes him special, I don't think his G+A is bad at all
meaning you dont take anything measurable as a base to qualify a player, as I said football is about appreciation and you can think he’s a top 3 player but you will hardly find evidence to support it.

So basically what this means is most people won’t agree with you and you wont be able to hold your argument besides “I really like the way Grealish plays”.

LovelyLittlePanda

Supports
Feyenoord
If we were to spend big money Id much rather it be on him than Sancho or Halaand.

Rashfords not too bad on the right either, so we could go with that setup instead of sign-in a RW.

Or if Newcastle get relegated also sign Saint-Max on the cheap and you have a front line that can compete with the best in Europe.

The only thing that would be missing from a complete team would be a Fabinho like DM, with Mctominay playing as a box to box, and possibly an attacking RB. I know people want a new CF, but I think we have more pressing concerns, plus Martial has shown last season that he can score, and his all round play is better than most forwards so I have no qualms keeping him there.

So really for me 3 singings away from being a top team, but somehow the summer window will turn into a shit show singing all the wrong players for the wrong prices.
I think he's looked worse on that side. That's just the eyeballs, I think the sample size is too small to make anything out of the stats:

Grealish is amazing, I just don't see how spending a 100m for a player who shares his position with our best players minus Shaw (Rashford, Pogba, Bruno) is wise. Also wanting Grealish instead of a 20 year old lad who scored 10 goals in 6 champions league matches and 21 goals in 22 Bundesliga matches this season when our only fit CF is Martial means you don't rate Haaland at all and think he can't even produce 40% of that for us. I'm assuming?

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach

He's absolutely average out there. It takes away most of his strengths.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
I think he's looked worse on that side. That's just the eyeballs, I think the sample size is too small to make anything out of the stats:

Grealish is amazing, I just don't see how spending a 100m for a player who shares his position with our best players minus Shaw (Rashford, Pogba, Bruno) is wise. Also wanting Grealish instead of a 20 year old lad who scored 10 goals in 6 champions league matches and 21 goals in 22 Bundesliga matches this season when our only fit CF is Martial means you don't rate Haaland at all and think he can't even produce 40% of that for us. I'm assuming?
I think you bring Grealish in, and he becomes the automatic pick on that left wing over anyone we have.
However, you are right it's far from a priority position and would be bonkers to improve a position we're already pretty good in.

It'd be the thing you do when you have a team who have won the double, and have a superb team. We don't, we have at least 3 key positions to strengthen before left wing.

LovelyLittlePanda

Supports
Feyenoord
I think you bring Grealish in, and he becomes the automatic pick on that left wing over anyone we have.
However, you are right it's far from a priority position and would be bonkers to improve a position we're already pretty good in.

It'd be the thing you do when you have a team who have won the double, and have a superb team. We don't, we have at least 3 key positions to strengthen before left wing.
I would certainly hope that any 100M buy we make is the automatic pick for his favorite position.
People were getting their panties in a bunch over 40M Donny on the bench in his first season.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
I would certainly hope that any 100M buy we make is the automatic pick for his favorite position.
People were getting their panties in a bunch over 40M Donny on the bench in his first season.
These are funny times aren't they.

50m Fred took a season to settle in, 40m Donny has barely had a look in.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
What's the point of using the comparison with the best manager and the club during its most competitive era. We are 17 points behind the league leaders and have Solskjaer in charge. It's common sense to address the weaker areas in the team before backing the more efficient areas. If the club had the money to get quality in multiple positions then absolutely but as it stands Grealish means no progress for the right wing, defence which are priorities.
Because our LW is as shite as RW. And Grealish is the best that can play at the wing that is available.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
What's going on with him? He was meant to be back a few games ago before missing the match day squad at the last minute and now he's missing for a few more weeks? In real danger of missing out on the Euro's given from afar it seems Southgate only picked him to begin with out of public pressure

I don't think it should be ignored either that over these past two seasons he's only really performed in the first half of those seasons, the second halves have been fairly underwhelming

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
Read something earlier that he’s out for a few more weeks as they tried to rush him back. Not sure how true that is though.

AgentSmith

What's going on with him? He was meant to be back a few games ago before missing the match day squad at the last minute and now he's missing for a few more weeks? In real danger of missing out on the Euro's given from afar it seems Southgate only picked him to begin with out of public pressure

I don't think it should be ignored either that over these past two seasons he's only really performed in the first half of those seasons, the second halves have been fairly underwhelming
Yeah it’s a weird injury. Never seemed like a big deal was made of it at any point but he’s been out for nearly 8 weeks now with no clear return date.

Also it seems to harsh to apply the bolded to this season with that in mind. He’s been injured for most of 2021 but he still has 4 assists and a goal in the 8 games he has played in since the New Year. It’s a fair point for 19/20 though.

Abraxas

Do we hinder the development of the team just because it won't be perfect for Marcus Rashford? If Rashford can be a 20+ goal a season wide player who is creating regularly as well, then yeah I say we have to stick with Rashford and work a team around him, but if he's not, then why missing out on someone who can provide, goals, assists and much needed creativity. Let Rashford fight for his place. When Fergie signed Veron do you think he worried where Keane or Scholes would play? When he signed Tevez, he didn't care where Rooney and Ronaldo played. When we signed Berbatov he didn't care where Tevez, Rooney or Ronaldo would play.

I'm not comparing players, but I think we should care less about where our current players will fit, if we see a player who can improve our team. Sometimes the sum of the parts is more important than the parts themselves. Mind you i think it's all wishful thinking. I'd be delighted if we signed Grealish, but i doubt we will.
I wouldn't say Rashford hinders the team, that is the problem with the idea. He is one of our key performers. I understand your point regarding competition, but it's a stronger argument when we have a nucleus of very strong first team players. Adding Veron to Scholes and Keane is fantastic if that is where the team is at, however we have some serious issues to resolve that are nothing to do with the left wing or attacking midfield position.

Of course we have to care where the current players fit in. Part of the recruitment process is to identify weaknesses in the squad, formulate lists, and prioritise deals that can be done that have the most impact. That cannot be done without reflecting on the current players. We cannot just sign players as if they operate in a footballing vacuum, we have to plan according to where the manager is trying to take the team and according to a budget that is finite.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Yeah it’s a weird injury. Never seemed like a big deal was made of it at any point but he’s been out for nearly 8 weeks now with no clear return date.

Also it seems to harsh to apply the bolded to this season with that in mind. He’s been injured for most of 2021 but he still has 4 assists and a goal in the 8 games he has played in since the New Year. It’s a fair point for 19/20 though.
yeah I agree it might be harsh but something to consider what with the 80m+ asking price

RedDevilCanuck

Quite dreamy - blue eyes, blond hair, tanned skin
He is good enough to propel England to win the Euros. He has to get fit.

He is surrounded by more quality than Rooney and possibly Gazza.

It's all on Southgate to get his shit together. Still questions about the keeper situation and midfield but a manager has to play to his team's strengths.

England's attack with a fit Grealish is the best in Europe after France.

visiting villain

Supports
Aston Villa
Read something earlier that he’s out for a few more weeks as they tried to rush him back. Not sure how true that is though.
He's got shin splints apparently, and while he did make a return to training last week he apparently got a set back. With the position we are in this year (not in a relegation scrap & outsiders for Europe) I wouldn't be surprised if we kept him out a little while longer

Highfather_24

He's no flavour of the week. He's the real deal.

Here's the thing with the argument "We should always improve the squad, SAF did so too". Sure we should. But right now before improving positions where we already have guaranteed starters, lets fill the holes where we dont have quality first XI players like CB, DM, RW and CF. Then we can buy a luxury player like Grealish to strengthen the squad.

He's a first XI player no doubt. He will be our best player alonside Bruno. But also plays the same position as Bruno and Rashford, making him a low priority.

Highfather_24

Of course we have to care where the current players fit in. Part of the recruitment process is to identify weaknesses in the squad, formulate lists, and prioritise deals that can be done that have the most impact. That cannot be done without reflecting on the current players. We cannot just sign players as if they operate in a footballing vacuum, we have to plan according to where the manager is trying to take the team and according to a budget that is finite.
Exactly. Not thinking about where and how the signing will fit into the team is how you get into a VdB situation.

There's no fighting for a place for Rashford. Sounds good, doesnt work. Grealish is a guaranteed starter at LW, and Bruno at AM. That's gonna be like that 90% of the time. So Rashford will HAVE TO play at RW or CF, if he's gonna be a starter, otherwise he's gonna play from the bench. And he sucks at both of those positions.

So its smarter to buy a RW, CF and CB first before chasing random signings like Grealish or another left back. That's not the priority atm.

elmo

Can never have too many Eevees

With a front line like you're proposing, it'll be the best only in Europa.

Highfather_24

With a front line like you're proposing, it'll be the best only in Europa.
Yeah, I have lost faith in Martial as a top #9. Rashford is crap at being a RW. Buying Grealish is like Arab countries importing oil.