Jack Grealish / signs new 5 year contract

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eckers99

Michael Corleone says hello
He was never going to ditch Villa at this point of the season was he? Hopefully we're back in for him this summer.

Macedonian Red

He seems very good in Vila but is he a world class potentional? Same question for Maddison?

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
Expected. Wonder if maybe we give them some players on loan, they change their mind? Chong, Gomes and Dalot for example? Football manager stuff but maybe worth trying. :lol:
Problem with Chong and Gomes is we cannot really loan with an option to buy, which is what clubs sometimes want. With both being linked to big clubs cannot see them liking the prospect of a relegation fight. Think we will go back in the summer.

enurs

We should buy him now and loan him back to villa. In this way we might get him for a good price and villa kan buy now to stay in the PL

ovoxo

If we sign Bruno, surely we won’t also sign Grealish? I think if Pogba leaves we do need a CM but I’ve always seen Grealish as more advanced of the midfield.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
If we sign Bruno, surely we won’t also sign Grealish? I think if Pogba leaves we do need a CM but I’ve always seen Grealish as more advanced of the midfield.
Grealish plays LW for Villa anyway, we need more players for the squad Rashford can't keep playing 50 matches a season.

Jeffthered

A natural United type player. Strong, confident mentality, a match-winner, a natural and genuine leader (which is v v v v rare in football nowadays..). And a very good player. I hope we are looking to sign him (if Villa do not manage to stay up....). I would prefer him over Maddison, any day of the week. Maddison is decent, but somewhat over-rated in my opinion. Doesn't drive games, and lacks personality.

Litch

I think we will sign Maddison, Leicester will replace him with Grealish and make a profit.

theklr

Been quite much chatter that we are going for Maddison or Graelish still.

G-manc

As others have said, we're never going to get him now when Villa are in a relegation battle. He would also obviously be cheaper in the summer if they went down.

I prefer him to Maddison. Aside from being a better allrounder, he's a bit of a sh*thouse - one of those players you like if have him but everyone teams fans will hate. He wins loads of 'fouls' in dangerous areas too.

red woppit

Supports
Northampton Town
Spoke to a Villa season ticket holder yesterday, and he felt that Grealish is overrated as a midfielder, and gives as many bad passes as good ones, and thinks his best position is on the left wing, albeit he is a very skillful footballer, and can create a lot from that position, not so from deeper. He also could be winding me up?

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Spoke to a Villa season ticket holder yesterday, and he felt that Grealish is overrated as a midfielder, and gives as many bad passes as good ones, and thinks his best position is on the left wing, albeit he is a very skillful footballer, and can create a lot from that position, not so from deeper. He also could be winding me up?
I think he’d work best in the front 3 but a free role OR in a 3 Man midfield running with the ball from deep. He won’t solve all our problems but he’d be a very good cog in a bigger wheel

Dante

Average bang
He seems very good in Vila but is he a world class potentional? Same question for Maddison?
Yes and yes.

Maddison is less versatile, so his chances are probably lower. Being a world class AM is a very difficult stage to get to.

But Grealish could develop in any number of ways to make the next step up. Before this season, you might have guessed he'd become a tempo setter in midfield. But he's been adding goals as a left sided forward so his next progression is anyone's guess. Whatever the case, having a lot of strings to his bow will make him an attractive proposition for any top club.

Tony Clifton

Yes and yes.

Maddison is less versatile, so his chances are probably lower. Being a world class AM is a very difficult stage to get to.

But Grealish could develop in any number of ways to make the next step up. Before this season, you might have guessed he'd become a tempo setter in midfield. But he's been adding goals as a left sided forward so his next progression is anyone's guess. Whatever the case, having a lot of strings to his bow will make him an attractive proposition for any top club.
Agreed, Grealish is definitely more versatile than Maddison. The one thing Maddison does have over Grealish is the killer pass. But Maddison is a pure AM, and whilst that can change, Grealish can already do well as CM, AM, on the flank in midfield, on the wing in a front three, etc.

Below is a post from an Aston Villa fan on Reddit, and something to consider when guessing Grealish's potential in a better team, but also in comparison to Maddison for those interested in doing so, including the passing, as Maddison has better players around him as well.

an Aston Villa fan on Reddit said:
Because teams know he is our only real threat he gets marked so heavily and tight. If he were at Chelsea (as one example) there are other players that need to be marked that would give him so much more space than what he gets here.

There is a reason he is so often fouled, it's because he is the one and only focal point of our team. Mark him out of the game and you basically mark out our entire attack.

I hope we sign Grealish in the summer.

andersj

Nick Powell Expert
Agreed, Grealish is definitely more versatile than Maddison. The one thing Maddison does have over Grealish is the killer pass. But Maddison is a pure AM, and whilst that can change, Grealish can already do well as CM, AM, on the flank in midfield, on the wing in a front three, etc.

Below is a post from an Aston Villa fan on Reddit, and something to consider when guessing Grealish's potential in a better team, but also in comparison to Maddison for those interested in doing so, including the passing, as Maddison has better players around him as well.

I dont agree. I actually think Grealish is a much better passer than Maddison.

Dante

Average bang
A midfield trio made up of two Grealishes and one Carrick would make us challengers in all competitions (including the CL).

It's an impossible trio to buy, obviously. But we could get at least one Grealish if we put a bit of effort into it in the summer. I hope we do.

Walters_19_MuFc

A midfield trio made up of two Grealishes and one Carrick would make us challengers in all competitions (including the CL).

It's an impossible trio to buy, obviously. But we could get at least one Grealish if we put a bit of effort into it in the summer. I hope we do.
Loved Carrick, but we'd need someone a lot more mobile if we were to play with two Grealish type players ahead. City did it, but had Fernandinho to cover. They've been countered quite easily this season with Rodri, as he lacks the legs Fernandinho gave them.

Going forward, I don't think Ole will go to a 433. He seems set on his 4411 and fair play to him. It's what he was used to under Sir Alex, and it's obviously a system he wants to perfect.

We need and Scholes/Carrick type player to partner Fred/McTominay and a all round CAM to play behind Martial. This is why I don't get why we're going in for Fernandes.

People have said he's not great deep because of his poor ball retention, but I have a feeling that if, and it's a big, we're looking to purchase Fernandes and an attacking midfielder in the summer, then Fernandes might be used as that Scholes/Carrick player.

He has the engine, long range passing, long range shots and gets stuck in.

Something like

Grealish
Fred Fernandes

Naturally Fernandes would get forward, with Grealish preferring to drift slightly to the left, so effectively in play, it would look like a 3 man midfield, with Grealish and Fernandes above Fred/McTominay.

Red00012

We were never going to get him in January but maybe it was our subtle way of letting Grealish know we’ll be back for him if they get relegated . He would be around the 40 mill mark if they get relegated. They will be in big trouble id imagine after spending £144 million last summer.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?

Conversely, Villa's system is built to get the best out of Grealish. We don't know how well he'll fair once the focus isn't all on his strengths.

Walters_19_MuFc

For example Havertz.
I just knew you were going to say that. Whats he done this season to suggest he's potentially world class then?

In Maddison and Grealish, whilst a bit older than Havertz, you've got two players - can probably add Mount to that too, who have been consistently very good in the EPL this season.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
I never wanted United to sign a player I was so unsure whether he'd actually be good enough for us more than this lad :lol:

Sylar

He was never going to ditch Villa at this point of the season was he? Hopefully we're back in for him this summer.
What about buying and loaning him back? May be beneficial if they stay up or he has a great world cup?

Red_toad

Conversely, Villa's system is built to get the best out of Grealish. We don't know how well he'll fair once the focus isn't all on his strengths.
Ah it’ll be all good we can convert him to fullback and make him captain!

NoPace

I never wanted United to sign a player I was so unsure whether he'd actually be good enough for us more than this lad :lol:
I've watched him a bunch this season now and I'm convinced by him. First touch is special, he doesn't play it safe. He's a clear level above a guy like Lallana was at Southampton, think he'd do well here.

Status
Not open for further replies.