Jack Grealish / signs new 5 year contract

Status
Not open for further replies.

Keyser

Would take him in a heartbeat and adds quality, especially over the likes of Jesse, Andreas, Mata. Also a much better footballer than James and we need better quality in that front 3/4 when rotating needs to happen.
This for me

A couple of games ago Bruno took a knock and my heart was in mouth as I waited to see Lingard warm up

As an option to bring on, allow players to rest if we are doing well, at 40-45m it's a no brainer

There is also a very good chance that with better players and coaches around him he takes his game up a level

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
Albeit different players, statistically James looks to have a similar trajectory to Grealish numbers. Their minutes per goal ratio is similar already. I'm not sure people would be satisfied with Grealish as he seems a little bit wasteful in front of goal similar to James, and they both mostly base their game on winning free-kicks. We have Bruno and Greenwood to take them though, so I guess it's just fine and I would welcome it if the price is in line with what we paid for James. If it means we can't invest in more expensive transfers later, then paying say 40-50m for the likes of James, Grealish etc wouldn't be a good move.
364 and 714 aren’t similar numbers. Aren’t even close to similar tbh.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
Having watched him closely Villa's last three games... he's not good enough for us. Or at least nowhere near good enough to be starting in our current line up. Certainly not if Pogba is staying. We don't need to break the bank for an upgrade on backups like Mata/Lingard. There are plenty of far lower profile players who would be better buys than Grealish. Unless he'd be coming for a bargain basement fee.
He's been fairly average since the lockdown ended so basing your opinion on games in that period ignores the good stuff he was doing for two thirds of the season. These poor games definitely should be taken into consideration, but it doesn't negate the good.

And maybe you should give at least some shit about the fees. For the quoted price of £40m-£50m, clubs usually sign players for starting XI, not for rotation. We got Bruno for that amount FFS and I am sure if we used our scouting network a bit we can find better players than Graelish. Paying £30m extra for nationality is plain stupid.
We could use the scouting network and get a cheaper player. The issue is that it's riskier and there's a higher chance of them failing. Obviously there's no such thing as a guarantee, but the extra that Grealish would cost is because he's closer to a sure-thing.

MadMike

This for me

A couple of games ago Bruno took a knock and my heart was in mouth as I waited to see Lingard warm up

As an option to bring on, allow players to rest if we are doing well, at 40-45m it's a no brainer

There is also a very good chance that with better players and coaches around him he takes his game up a level
If Bruno is off for whatever reason, Pogba moves to #10 and either Fred or McT comes in. Seems like people forget we have these two very capable players, who've also had really good seasons, waiting on the side-lines for minutes. We're some way off having to rely on Lingard or Mata to start important games for us.

As for up front, if we bring a quality goal-scoring winger/forward like Sancho, then we already have 5 good players to rotate: Martial, Rashford, Sancho, Greenwood, Ighalo. And while the 6th player (James) is currently underwhelming, he's still a young player on his first EPL season who could well improve and become a decent squad option.

I'm not against signing him, more depth is nice, but I don't really see it as anywhere near as urgent as people make it out to be. People initally wanted him either as Pogba replacement or as an improvement to Lingard/Mata/Pereira. But the former increasingly looks like staying put and the latter guys hardly get any minutes. And that's before we even bring another winger/forward.

onemanarmy

Sell Lingard and Pereira, get him. No brainer imo. He's had a good season, he just plays in an awful team. He'll get plenty of games here and is twice the player Pereira or Lingard are. Grealish and a youngster > Lingard and Pereira.

Slysi17

And maybe you should give at least some shit about the fees. For the quoted price of £40m-£50m, clubs usually sign players for starting XI, not for rotation. We got Bruno for that amount FFS and I am sure if we used our scouting network a bit we can find better players than Graelish. Paying £30m extra for nationality is plain stupid.
Absolutely agree. Donny Van De beek would be a better option which would cost a lot less. Do people not realize who our owners are. We are not like Manchester City who can spend what they like. We have a set budget and buying the overhyped Jack Grealish for the fee that he would probably cost will impact on who else we could get.

onemanarmy

Absolutely agree. Donny Van De beek would be a better option which would cost a lot less. Do people not realize who our owners are. We are not like Manchester City who can spend what they like. We have a set budget and buying the overhyped Jack Grealish for the fee that he would probably cost will impact on who else we could get.
Donny Van de Beek would cost a little less, but probably would take a year to adjust to the league. And I'm not convinced he's on the same level as Grealish. Grealish can play across the 3 attacking midfield positions if needed, Van de Beek is more of a Fred type of player to me.

freeurmind

weak willed
Don't get the hype every time I watch him. He's a decent player but not good enough to be starting for a CL aspiring side. Would Bayern, Real or Barca sign him? No, so neither should we.

croadyman

You just can't judge him fully when he's playing for such a truly terrible team who are totally relying on him to do so much. I find it a bit strange people are so quick to write him off. But then that's what the Caf does.
Yeah that is my thoughts but certainly should be only paying £40-45m absolute maximum. I also think Bruno would help him realise he shouldn't waste his talent. Well despite the dig he had at him in the post match interview yesterday.

There is no doubt Ole has sorted out Lingards off the pitch social media stuff,realise it might sound daft but reckon he could help Jack with that too

Last edited:

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
Sell Lingard, Pereria and Mata and get in Grealish.
I think the club would happily trade these three players for a Grealish, but its far from that simple. Mata would go on a free & its hard to see where a buyer for Pereira comes from. Hes an extremely average player and surely wouldn't be of interest to any PL clubs, so we are looking at southern Europe really. Unlikely to receive any kind of worthwhile fee for him.

Ironically the only player that seems to be remotely attractive to a buyer IMO would be Lingard. Even though he is completely out of the picture here he does have a CV that could tempt a team outside of the top 6 if we can sell them on the idea that personal issues have affected his game and those are now handled.

I think the club would do extremely well to walk away with £15m in fees for those three combined, even if we somehow managed to sell them all. Obviously we remove a decent amount from the wage bill, but we also lose squad depth, so far that reason I'd prefer to keep Mata here for another season.

Then the question of a fee for Grealish comes into play. I don't think we should be offering any more than £35m at a maximum for him, and I don't think we get the player for that amount because he is Villa's crown jewel and they are likely to go down. I think its more likely that someone else decides he is a bigger priority for them and outbid us, especially if we are set on going for Sancho.

limerickcitykid

James
Total :13218295379.667
Grealish
Total :266354753918.876
Half of James goals are from u23s :lol:

First of all who gives a feck what Grealish was scoring 6-7 years ago, what matters is now. Second of all, using fecking u23s stats.:lol:

Let’s get Anthony Scully and Nathan Holland. We’ll be winning the league in no time with their goals every 90 mins.:houllier:

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
Half of James goals are from u23s :lol:

First of all who gives a feck what Grealish was scoring 6-7 years ago, what matters is now. Second of all, using fecking u23s stats.:lol:

Let’s get Anthony Scully and Nathan Holland. We’ll be winning the league in no time with their goals every 90 mins.:houllier:
I don't know how you got there. James is a few years younger, the stats show James is on a similar trajectory.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
Donny Van de Beek would cost a little less, but probably would take a year to adjust to the league. And I'm not convinced he's on the same level as Grealish. Grealish can play across the 3 attacking midfield positions if needed, Van de Beek is more of a Fred type of player to me.

I think Fred has been fantastic this year but to me our current form isnt just from Bruno Fernandes- it's due to Bruno and Pogba together. We need more creativity in centre midfield and I wouldn't mind selling Fred ( maybe it's too soon so next January) for someone like Van de Beek to always have that creative mentality within our centre midfielders - atleast 2 out of our 3 midfielders should be creative.

Then swap Pereira, Lingard, mata for Grealish as well. Finally get the CDM who plays more anchor man like similar to Matic and I think our Midfield looks great. Matic, Mctomminay, New hybrid anchor man CB/CDM like Rice,Koopmeiners , creative CM in Pogba, Bruno Fernandes, Van de Beek and Grealish.

limerickcitykid

I don't know how you got there. James is a few years younger, the stats show James is on a similar trajectory.
How I got where? That you’re using u23s stats? It’s right there in the numbers.

They don’t show anything of the sort. James scoring a few u23s goals as a 18/19 year old doesn’t show any trajectory to being one of the top creators in the league. Like I said, Anthony Scully must be on trajectory to be one of the best strikers in the world by your logic. We better get him signed up quick.

Your stats are including shit from 10 years ago of Grealish playing reserve football as a 16 year old. Absolutely fecking mental:houllier:

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
How I got where? That you’re using u23s stats? It’s right there in the numbers.

They don’t show anything of the sort. James scoring a few u23s goals as a 18/19 year old doesn’t show any trajectory to being one of the top creators in the league. Like I said, Anthony Scully must be on trajectory to be one of the best strikers in the world by your logic. We better get him signed up quick.

Your stats are including shit from 10 years ago of Grealish playing reserve football as a 16 year old. Absolutely fecking mental:houllier:
You seem to be upset about it, I don't understand what you're arguing. It's the same for both players, totally even playing field.

limerickcitykid

You seem to be upset about it, I don't understand what you're arguing. It's the same for both players, totally even playing field.
Why would I be upset about your stupidity? I’m not the one living with it.

It’s not the same for both players. Dan James playing u23s at the same age Grealish was in the PL isn’t an even playing field.

Like I said, hoping we sign Anthony Scully, lad is better than Martial by far, with the trajectory of a superstar.

Mart1974

harbours delusions of insignificance
Grealish is a 24 year old midfielder with a great engine, a combative attitude, a great range of passing, good assist record, an eye for goal and will cost less than 60m. If you think we don't need him, look at how we played when Bruno was subbed against Villa. If we stat beat season with Bruno as our only available no10 we are not going to get higher than 3rd.

Prodigal7

Grealish is a 24 year old midfielder with a great engine, a combative attitude, a great range of passing, good assist record, an eye for goal and will cost less than 60m. If you think we don't need him, look at how we played when Bruno was subbed against Villa. If we stat beat season with Bruno as our only available no10 we are not going to get higher than 3rd.
All true but Grealish's greatest asset is how he dribbles/carries the ball and draws fouls. Get him in and around the oppo box with quality players next to him and he'll be sensational.

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
Why would I be upset about your stupidity? I’m not the one living with it.

It’s not the same for both players. Dan James playing u23s at the same age Grealish was in the PL isn’t an even playing field.

Like I said, hoping we sign Anthony Scully, lad is better than Martial by far, with the trajectory of a superstar.
:lol: Fair play. I don't even get what upsets you still, so I guess I have to carry it for both of us in this instance. Grealish started young yeah, but I'm not interested in discussing these points about what he did as a kid etc. We all know it. I'm doing it really simple here, stating the basic total numbers from a comparison on the transfermarkt website, saying it's fair to expect them to have a similar contribution in terms of goals and assist. I get your point about U21 stats not being the end all be all but I haven't proclaimed it to be. I don't think neither will reach the level of say Sterling, Rashford or Martial, but I think they'll both contribute around the same level in terms of numbers.

Le Red

Villa relegated + poor recent form + Covid market (yes it will be a thing). He'll be too cheap to miss, even if he's not in the 1st team right away, the depth he adds to the squad is insane and should Bruno or Pogba get injured (knock knock) we'll have Jack Grealish instead of Andreas Pereira.
Do it.

SAFMUTD

How can anyone say its fair to pay 50M for him when we paid 55M for Bruno? it may be a surprise for many but there's quality besides english playing in the premier league, and they are cheaper.

Bojan11

After watching Ole being on Fred and Mctominay for Pogba and Fernandez, which basically handed the imitative to Southampton to attack more because there’s no danger in the middle. I’m all for this now as long as we get Sancho too.

0le

After watching Ole being on Fred and Mctominay for Pogba and Fernandez, which basically handed the imitative to Southampton to attack more because there’s no danger in the middle. I’m all for this now as long as we get Sancho too.
Why do so many people find it difficult to spell the names Gomes and Fernandes incorrectly..

croadyman

I appreciate he was pretty anonymous against us and has been very poor since the restart but think tonight has shown that he would offer us something different when nothing is happening in the game and maybe get us over the line in games like this one.

beingshe7don

I think us drawing with Southampton in the manner in which we did was a good thing. Success teaches us no lessons. It's through our failures where we learn to get better. And couple things I would hope Ole and his staff would have realized is that Pogba and Bruno could have off days and could both be ineffective in a game together. Therefore it's important to have someone on the bench of the same caliber to come on and deliver. The other thing is that the drop in stature of our midfield from Bruno & Pogba to Fred and McT is too much of a drop. Yes, Pogba was having a really shitty game but to bring off Bruno and Pogba with over 30min of the game to go was suicidal. Yes, Martial and Rashford missed multiple chances but honestly, we made mistakes that were absolutely not justified. Like when De Gea noticed that there was a man on Pogba, it probably made no sense to hand Pogba the ball. Pogba also lost the ball cheaply so many times. Pogba was having a stinker of a game and deserved to be taken off but Bruno should have remained to organize the team towards the end as we always ground the result. Maguire for a captain showed no leadership in terms of organization of the defense when defending the corner. Conceding that late on when everyone understands the importance of the result is just criminal. Some people will say that we were a man down because of Brandon Williams but there could have been zonal marking and there could have been people on the goal line on either sides of the post to prevent any goal threat. We lost today because of our midfield and more importantly because Ole took off Bruno and Pogba way too early in the game.

tjb

I think us drawing with Southampton in the manner in which we did was a good thing. Success teaches us no lessons. It's through our failures where we learn to get better. And couple things I would hope Ole and his staff would have realized is that Pogba and Bruno could have off days and could both be ineffective in a game together. Therefore it's important to have someone on the bench of the same caliber to come on and deliver. The other thing is that the drop in stature of our midfield from Bruno & Pogba to Fred and McT is too much of a drop. Yes, Pogba was having a really shitty game but to bring off Bruno and Pogba with over 30min of the game to go was suicidal. Yes, Martial and Rashford missed multiple chances but honestly, we made mistakes that were absolutely not justified. Like when De Gea noticed that there was a man on Pogba, it probably made no sense to hand Pogba the ball. Pogba also lost the ball cheaply so many times. Pogba was having a stinker of a game and deserved to be taken off but Bruno should have remained to organize the team towards the end as we always ground the result. Maguire for a captain showed no leadership in terms of organization of the defense when defending the corner. Conceding that late on when everyone understands the importance of the result is just criminal. Some people will say that we were a man down because of Brandon Williams but there could have been zonal marking and there could have been people on the goal line on either sides of the post to prevent any goal threat. We lost today because of our midfield and more importantly because Ole took off Bruno and Pogba way too early in the game.
Both looked tired. Further to your notion, i believe that grealish would provide an option on the flanks, in AM and as a no.8. So he would get plenty of games in the same way as Isco.

beingshe7don

Both looked tired. Further to your notion, i believe that grealish would provide an option on the flanks, in AM and as a no.8. So he would get plenty of games in the same way as Isco.
They did no doubt but I think Bruno should have stayed on for 20 more minutes till we hit the 80th min mark. Bringing on Fred and McT was essentially closing up shop and inviting Southampton to attack. Fred, McT and Matic, where is the creativity? Also, we lacked leadership after the 60th min as people just had no game plan. Our players were just running around with a plan to keep possession or to attack them. Grealish or anyone with in-game intelligence could have done better when our creative force left the pitch. The more I watch Dan James, the more annoyed I get as he offers you absolutely nothing like a headless chicken. Ighalo should have been on the pitch today to hold the ball up and kill time while we tried to grind the result out. This result is on Ole. His decisions cost us the game today.

United Hobbit

Don't see this as me being against getting him, it's just a risk around him- what do we think Ole will think about the off the field "antics" he sometimes gets up to. I believe these have lessened recently apart from that incident during lockdown but he still comes across as a bit of a loose cannon
What do we think Ole will think of him, given he's been so keen to talk about improving the mentality of the squad which as a whole we are seeing. Do we want to bring in someone that could upset the balance again or do we think Ole could keep him on the straight and narrow?
I'd like to see him become friends with Bruno if he came as he looks the model professional
I think he would be a good signing just those doubts about what he gets up to at times

sherrinford

Don't see this as me being against getting him, it's just a risk around him- what do we think Ole will think about the off the field "antics" he sometimes gets up to. I believe these have lessened recently apart from that incident during lockdown but he still comes across as a bit of a loose cannon
What do we think Ole will think of him, given he's been so keen to talk about improving the mentality of the squad which as a whole we are seeing. Do we want to bring in someone that could upset the balance again or do we think Ole could keep him on the straight and narrow?
I'd like to see him become friends with Bruno if he came as he looks the model professional
I think he would be a good signing just those doubts about what he gets up to at times
People keep on equating these ‘issues’ Grealish has with poor mentality in a relevant sense or potentially upsetting some kind of squad harmony.

His manager has praised his attitude, his maturity and his mentality. These are reasons for signing him, not against.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
If he comes here the expectation will be one of complete professionalism on and off the pitch. It's one thing being top dog at a shit club like Villa but can he do that at Utd?

Not convinced

BlahRules

Grealish is one the best press resistant players in the EPL. We should geg him at all cost to play alongside or replace Bruno if he is not performing.

Status
Not open for further replies.