Jack Grealish / signs new 5 year contract

Status
Not open for further replies.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Donny Van de Beek would cost a little less, but probably would take a year to adjust to the league. And I'm not convinced he's on the same level as Grealish. Grealish can play across the 3 attacking midfield positions if needed, Van de Beek is more of a Fred type of player to me.
Except Fred has 2 goals and 4 assists in 44 games, where VdB has 10 goals and 11 assists in 37 games and about 4 years younger. Other than that, you might be right.

izec

Squad depth is lacking, that much should be obvious to anyone. I think his versatility as well as his ability to retain the ball would have been pretty useful yesterday. He may not be the most professional player in the league, but i would hope a move to United would help him in that regard. A bit of fine tuning, and he would be a great player.

lsd

The Oracle
Except Fred has 2 goals and 4 assists in 44 games, where VdB has 10 goals and 11 assists in 37 games and about 4 years younger. Other than that, you might be right.

You can't compare the dutch league to the premiership

Yagami

Good post resistant
Grealish is one the best press resistant players in the EPL. We should geg him at all cost to play alongside or replace Bruno if he is not performing.
Absolutely.

He would've been a great player to have yesterday. Someone who can receive the ball under pressure and keep possession. He can 180 turn away from pressing opposition, dribble past players, and could've baited them into fouling him - in which he's an expert - thus giving the team a much needed breather.

croadyman

Absolutely.

He would've been a great player to have yesterday. Someone who can receive the ball under pressure and keep possession. He can 180 turn away from pressing opposition, dribble past players, and could've baited them into fouling him - in which he's an expert - thus giving the team a much needed breather.
Still feel a move for him is very much on the cards after selling some players. Wish we could sign him & VDB after last night but got more important issues.

I could understand Ole having concerns about the off field stuff but think he can help sort him out with that side of things.

Hopefully the board can see just how threadbare we are creatively when Pogba & Bruno aren't on it.

Last edited:

Xaviboy

Just get him and Sancho in. Full stop. Need more quality in the squad. When others have off days wouldnt it be nice to have other options come in and try get the job done.

onemanarmy

In Holland. But yeah, he has better stats. I think he wouldn't be enough of an upgrade to spend money on.

Grealish would be a good option in games like last night, hes press resistant, can hold onto the ball and win free kicks taking the pressure off.

Judas

Open to offers
We need games like last night to not only make sure the club is switched on but the fools on here thinking we don't need plenty more in attack. Its so obvious our options are bleak once Bruno/Pogba aren't on the field.

ROFLUTION

We need him, and he'd get plenty of game-time as long as he performs.

- We'd avoid all the "play the same team every week" stuff that leads to tiredness under this high-intensity system
- we'd get competition
- we'd have 2 good players for a given position instead of just 1

Easy, get it done Woodward.

BlahRules

Absolutely.

Agreed! I hope Woodward understand we need both Sancho and Grealish, and not one or the other.

jamesjimmybyrondean

I agree we need him but I think games like last night highlight our need for a controlling midfielder. We have zero control of the game without Pogba and Matic. Look at Tottenham and even the Norwich game were our midfield trio was Bruno Fred and Mctominay. We struggled to progress the ball forward or control the game even with Bruno there and I don't see how Grealish would change that.

Bruno and Grealish are AMs and their game is to deliver the final ball. Even if an AM like Grealish or Bruno is playing, we would never control the game without Matic and Pogba

Last edited:
I agree we need him but I think games like last night highlight our need for a controlling midfielder. We have zero control of the game without Pogba and Matic. Look at Tottenham game were our midfield was Bruno Fred and Mctominay. We struggled to progress the ball forward or control the game even with Bruno there and I don't see how Grealish would change that. Bruno and Grealish are AMs and their game is to deliver the final ball. Even if an AM like Grealish or Bruno is playing, we would never control the game without Matic and Pogba
Grealish can play deeper, he can sit next to a DM. He's a versatile player hes not just a AM.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
The fact it takes 1 draw to suddenly change some peoples mind is hilarious :lol:

andersj

Nick Powell Expert
I agree we need him but I think games like last night highlight our need for a controlling midfielder. We have zero control of the game without Pogba and Matic. Look at Tottenham and even the Norwich game were our midfield trio was Bruno Fred and Mctominay. We struggled to progress the ball forward or control the game even with Bruno there and I don't see how Grealish would change that.

Bruno and Grealish are AMs and their game is to deliver the final ball. Even if an AM like Grealish or Bruno is playing, we would never control the game without Matic and Pogba
Jack Grealish is good at keeping the ball high up the pitch. In that sense he might have saved us yesterday. That being said, it would have felt like papering over the cracks. We need to improve our collective game.

That being said, that does not imply that we do not need a player who is good at keeping the ball higher up the pitch. For all Fernandes’ brilliance, that is not one of his qualities. Maybe Sancho would solve some of these issues aswell. To actually control a game like this I think a player like Thiago would be even better. But we still have to improve our build-up play.

jamesjimmybyrondean

Jack Grealish is good at keeping the ball high up the pitch. In that sense he might have saved us yesterday. That being said, it would have felt like papering over the cracks. We need to improve our collective game.

That being said, that does not imply that we do not need a player who is good at keeping the ball higher up the pitch. For all Fernandes’ brilliance, that is not one of his qualities. Maybe Sancho would solve some of these issues aswell. To actually control a game like this I think a player like Thiago would be even better. But we still have to improve our build-up play.
I feel like a DM that can control a game or progress the ball forward is more of a priority than Grealish but only if we get Sancho. Let's take yesterday's game and say we had Partey and Sancho. We could have rested Matic and played Partey who is perfect for an opponent like Southampton. Then instead of taking off Bruno for Mctominay we could have taken off Bruno for Sancho.

McGrathsipan

Dawn’s less famous husband
is there any actual substance to this player potentially being a target or just wistful hope?

lenny_1248

I know he played a deeper role last season when they were in the championship. Not sure if it was a double pivot though, @FootballHQ ?
It was 4-3-3. And he played with 2 more defence-minded midfielders. He played more as an 8.
He absolutely can't play in double pivot and has never played there.

croadyman

It was 4-3-3. And he played with 2 more defence-minded midfielders. He played more as an 8.
Very true but we still need to sign him for different creative midfield option

Jinn

We need more quality. It's a no brainer. He will be a good addition. Just get the kid.

Yagami

Good post resistant
He can't play in a double pivot behind the AM. I don't think he has ever played there
Grealish is excellent at collecting the ball from deep and building the play up. He's not someone who just relies on getting the ball in the final third and playing the killer pass and whatnot. He has it in him to control a game from deep as well as producing magic in the final third.
No, he played next to one defensive midfielder and one extremely attacking one in McGinn.

In possession, McGinn would often end up partnering Abraham up front such was his attacking intent, leaving Grealish sitting deep with a Hourihane or Whelan. It was only a 4-3-3 in the defensive phase, really.

Status
Not open for further replies.