Jack Grealish / signs new 5 year contract

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yagami

Good post resistant
Is not there any cheap alternative in la liga or other leagues because 70 80 million for grealish who will not be a starter seems too much for me. I mean chelsea is supposedly signing havertz for 100m who is much younger and probably a bigger talent.
Only player in La Liga that'd be a good alternative is Fekir, but his injury problems make that a no go. He's as press resistant and as versatile as Grealish, which is extremely rare in a player. People underestimate how rare it is to find that in a player.

croadyman

Only player in La Liga that'd be a good alternative is Fekir, but his injury problems make that a no go. He's as press resistant and as versatile as Grealish, which is extremely rare in a player. People underestimate how rare it is to find that in a player.
Yeah being press resistant is certainly a very useful skill to have in your squad and like you say Jack would provide that

E-mal

But he will come off the bench until those certain games arrive, right?
You overrate Bruno. Went back and watched some of our games he played this season and honestly he doesn't look after the ball enough and I can understand why other big clubs where hesitant about picking him up.

When the padded stats dry up, Bruno will frustrate alot of us as other parts of his game apart from the closing down is not up to scratch honestly.

This is my opinion but having Pogba and Bruno especially in high profile games is very risky and makes us unstable and you will see when the big games come next season.

Grealish or Thiago in that midfield is absolutely necessary, we need a press resistant player badly.

It doesn't matter if it's in AM or CM, but we need one or even at least two in midfield.

TheNewEra

Knows Kroos' mentality
You overrate Bruno. Went back and watched some of our games he played this season and honestly he doesn't look after the ball enough and I can understand why other big clubs where hesitant about picking him up.

When the padded stats dry up, Bruno will frustrate alot of us as other parts of his game apart from the closing down is not up to scratch honestly.

This is my opinion but having Pogba and Bruno especially in high profile games is very risky and makes us unstable and you will see when the big games come next season.

Grealish or Thiago in that midfield is absolutely necessary, we need a press resistant player badly.

It doesn't matter if it's in AM or CM, but we need one or even at least two in midfield.
I agree with your statements, I love the impact Bruno has made but he gives the ball away too much sometimes. He's not one of the playmakers that know when to release the ball at times, my one grievance with Man Utd this season even on the good run was always trying a killer ball when it's not on then they invite pressure on themselves trying to win it back (it's where I see United finding it hard against a club that keeps possession like City).

E-mal

I agree with your statements, I love the impact Bruno has made but he gives the ball away too much sometimes. He's not one of the playmakers that know when to release the ball at times, my one grievance with Man Utd this season even on the good run was always trying a killer ball when it's not on then they invite pressure on themselves trying to win it back (it's where I see United finding it hard against a club that keeps possession like City).
And Bruno is the biggest culprit of forcing a play when it is obvious it's never on.
At least pogba keeps it well but his issues come with concentration.
We will never be a top top team until we iron out this lack of intelligence in our play. Early days though especially for that team and may be with time it will come together.

RedNed77

Said previously I don’t see him moving for less than £55m now upfront plus add ons getting close to £70m.

Look at it from Villas point of view. Sell for £40m and it’ll cost you at least £20-30m to replace him with anyone worthwhile. So they need to be able to bring in significant quality in a few positions for it to be worth while.

There is an agreement and with Grealish returning from holiday soon I’d imagine more will pipe up.

I was hopeful of a bargain before they stayed up.

No. I still think he’ll leave.
They don’t need to look far, we can throw the wondrous Messi Lingard in with the deal, just to sweeten it. He’s still only a young lad, who knows what his ceiling might be. Some people might even say they’d be getting the better part of the deal.

Blind and crazy people.

Classical Mechanic

Bruno is an end product player. If that dries up, even for a couple of months, the knives will be out for him as his bottom level is very low. He'll always be on the edge.

Kostov

This came from a podcast he was speaking on earlier today,interesting he also agrees that Jack wouldn't be a starter in this team and mentions Pogba staying could also have changed our thought process.
We can offer them, Jones + Rojo + Lingard + 100 pounds and that would be fair and acceptable me thinks.

Baneofthegame

The issue with Grealish, is that he is not worth more than 40 million.

Villa will want at least 70 in a total deal, which is far too much.

E-mal

Bruno is an end product player. If that dries up, even for a couple of months, the knives will be out for him as his bottom level is very low. He'll always be on the edge.
And when you analyze the end product part, alot of his goals are penalties ( 4/8) although an aspect of the game we were inconsistent with.

If you analyze the assists you'll see that a significant portion are simple passess to the attackers who through there share brilliance converted it. But this should not be underestimated because those assess are made quickly and timely.

His impact is a combination of timing, new signing effect and replacing very very shitty players with a competent and hardworking player. The level is definitely going to go up.

People really under estimate how bad Andreas, Lingard and Mata are. They are pretty shit honestly. One has a tunnel vision and lacks football intelligence, the other has no footballing ability and the last has just aged too early and is weak, perhaps the weakest player in the epl.

Pogba and Matic where absent for very significant part of the season, so we where bound to see improvement when they returned.

Martial and Rashford have finally started in same team in the longest stretch of matches since the season started and Greenwood is starting more games and has improved physically.
So we where bound to see major improvement in both results and play and no one can predict how much improvement we could see in having a player of Grealish's ability in the team.

I firmly believe if the transfer comes through, he will surprise alot of people.

Last edited:

theklr

The issue with Grealish, is that he is not worth more than 40 million.

Villa will want at least 70 in a total deal, which is far too much.
Sounds like we're gonna pay 55 million then. Thats fine by me. He will bring a whole new style of play to our game.

Fracture90

I don't think i am tbh. Hardly anyone is expecting for Bruno to continue with his output, but i do expect him to develop a better understanding with his teammates when he settles in. That on itself will cut down his wastefulness i believe because he'll know more about his teammates. Though i think i prefer Bruno actively running with the ball and trying risky passes that are letting our game run than having a guy that will run with the ball and just get himself fouled a lot.

That logic can be applied to Grealish as well, since apparently we're the only ones in for him.

AneRu

Agree with those sentiments and Grealish is competition/back up in the roles that Pogba and Bruno play.

I think Bruno, as good as he has been, has benefited from the woeful form of players like Lingard, Pereira and Mata in that he didn't have to do anything special but just the bare minimum and the difference was noticeable because the other three weren't even good enough for that bare minimum.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Genuine question but did Fergie ever spend the equivalent of 60-80m in those days for a player to be rotation?
Hargreaves and Young. Also Jones wasn't considered cheap either.

Maybe Evra when we had Heinze, but he was relatively cheap at that time.
Maybe Forlan, when we had RvN? How about Kagawa?

ALso I'm thinking of RVP when we had Rooney-Chicarito already.

Last edited:

AneRu

I think Grealish/Maddison was always Ole's first choice for the AM role but Bruno was gettable in January and we needed a boost to qualify for the CL with Pogba out. But now that it has worked and Villa have stayed up I don't know if we can afford to spend what they would demand.

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
We can offer them, Jones + Rojo + Lingard + 100 pounds and that would be fair and acceptable me thinks.
To be fair Jones and Lingard would do a job for them. Keep Jones fit and he is a good defender and Lingard is decent just nowhere near United quality.

AneRu

To be fair Jones and Lingard would do a job for them. Keep Jones fit and he is a good defender and Lingard is decent just nowhere near United quality.
They would be fools to take Jones and ignore Smalling imo. Perfect for a club like Villa, say they take £40m plus Smalling (think they will push for £50m) and use the money to buy another midfielder or attacker that's their survival guaranteed for at least two years imo.

Jaqen H'ghar

I can't drive...55
Berbatov at £30m in 2008 would fit into that category too.
True, he was just the first name of that came to mind. Every top team probably has quality players that rotate and compete for spots.
Veron wasn't a rotational. We moved Scholes forward to play him most games.
Can't say I remember that, but you're probably right. When we signed him everyone was happy, because he was quality, but midfield wasn't an area that seemed to need strengthening.
Veron was a superstar and brought in as a starter such that Scholes' role was changed. He just struggled with adjusting to the league's tempo.
Our midfield were superstars too. Maybe it's a case of signing a quality player because he was available, and then trying to fit him in and make it work rather than signing him because we wanted to make a change.

Fracture90

Berbatov was bought because iirc Saha was already in talks to leave for Everton and not to mention that he was always injured.

Ronaldo was forcing a move to Madrid.

Tevez loan was a nightmare with few different parties holding his rights.

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
They would be fools to take Jones and ignore Smalling imo. Perfect for a club like Villa, say they take £40m plus Smalling (think they will push for £50m) and use the money to buy another midfielder or attacker that's their survival guaranteed for at least two years imo.
Smalling is too good for Villa. There is no way he’d swap United/Roma for Villa.

I could see Jones there to get regular football but Smalling will have better offers from better clubs.

Jaqen H'ghar

I can't drive...55
I think Bruno, as good as he has been, has benefited from the woeful form of players like Lingard, Pereira and Mata in that he didn't have to do anything special but just the bare minimum and the difference was noticeable because the other three weren't even good enough for that bare minimum.
Not specifically at you, but there is some serious underrating of Bruno going on in this thread. He's not just a cracking player, but also a leader, something we seemed to be lacking.

Bruno brought more than goals and assists, he seemed to lift the whole team and had a confidence, passion and exuberance that seemed rub off on the rest of the players.

AneRu

Not specifically at you, but there is some serious underrating of Bruno going on in this thread. He's not just a cracking player, but also a leader, something we seemed to be lacking.

Bruno brought more than goals and assists, he seemed to lift the whole team and had a confidence, passion and exuberance that seemed rub off on the rest of the players.
Not a problem, I love him to bits but I still have a lingering feeling that his game isn't all that but the intangibles you pointed out do help. Technically I think Pogba did more in the role during Ole's honeymoon period than what we have seen from Bruno so the question of whether his impact will be maintained is a legitimate one imo.

The poster I quoted suggested that Bruno wouldn't be untouchable as a starter and I agree with that point. The reason being that his passing game isn't that tight such that he can dominate a game like e.g what Silva did to us in that 6-1 mauling at OT.

lsd

The Oracle
Any chance people might actually post about Grealish in this thread and not Bruno,Veron, Berbatov, Pogba, Smalling etc ?

Houdini

Hargreaves and Young. Also Jones wasn't considered cheap either.

Maybe Evra when we had Heinze, but he was relatively cheap at that time.
Maybe Forlan, when we had RvN? How about Kagawa?

ALso I'm thinking of RVP when we had Rooney-Chicarito already.
RVP was the best finisher in the league by that time. Kagawa - that one maybe, but he wasn't considered overpriced in that market.

Fracture90

Not a problem, I love him to bits but I still have a lingering feeling that his game isn't all that but the intangibles you pointed out do help. Technically I think Pogba did more in the role during Ole's honeymoon period than what we have seen from Bruno so the question of whether his impact will be maintained is a legitimate one imo.

The poster I quoted suggested that Bruno wouldn't be untouchable as a starter and I agree with that point. The reason being that his passing game isn't that tight such that he can dominate a game like e.g what Silva did to us in that 6-1 mauling at OT.
Weren't we a man down for like a whole 2nd half though?

AneRu

Weren't we a man down for like a whole 2nd half though?
I know but didn't we go a man down because of him too? He was untouchable in that game and to me that's what you need from your AM even if he doesn't score or assist much.

Alemar

If Bruno doesn't provide the goals nor assists, he'll get slaughtered for being a waste player/
Yet he somehow got us about 20 G+A in as many games, having joined mid-season, and has also hit the post several times. Give the guy a break.

Fracture90

I know but didn't we go a man down because of him too? He was untouchable in that game and to me that's what you need from your AM even if he doesn't score or assist much.
Fck if i remember, it was a long time ago and i tend to suppress those traumatic memories.

AneRu

Fck if i remember, it was a long time ago and i tend to suppress those traumatic memories.
That game certainly was traumatic and the season too. We started off on high with Ando and Cleverley, lost the initiative to City then clawed back an 8 point lead on them, threw away our own lead with that Fellaini inspired 4-4 and lost the league in the last minute of injury time.

Fracture90

That game certainly was traumatic and the season too. We started off on high with Ando and Cleverley, lost the initiative to City then clawed back an 8 point lead on them, threw away our own lead with that Fellaini inspired 4-4 and lost the league in the last minute of injury time.
Was it the season we lost on goal difference literally in the last seconds of the league?

Status
Not open for further replies.