Jack Grealish / signs new 5 year contract

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rauður Djöfull

Rashford would die on the right, he'd struggle with a striker would doesn't bring him to play like Martial does as well because he will constantly find himself deeper(it's poulsen who does this exact thing for Werner), one on one with the fullback and being the one who has to create.

Rashford to me is still a striker in our system that just operates wider & you can see it with how much freedom he has to get in to the box and make tap ins from the other side.

I really see no reason why Werner would ever join us anyway, makes zero sense for him.
I meant Rashford on the left not right

but because I was filling in on the post from up above where he showed his lineup from goalie and down I did it like that, can see why it would cause misunderstanding

anyway

regarding the thread, grealish for rumoured 40m is not bad as long as there is a plan for him, be it OGS or Poch or whatever, don't just buy him to buy him, buy him cause there is a plan in place with other poteantial buys that make sense whilst also having Bruno in the team

Teja

regarding the thread, grealish for rumoured 40m is not bad as long as there is a plan for him, be it OGS or Poch or whatever, don't just buy him to buy him, buy him cause there is a plan in place with other poteantial buys that make sense whilst also having Bruno in the team
I think the plan is selling Pogba and replacing him with Grealish + Bruno. I don't think we're sensible enough to sign Grealish while keeping Pogba.

poleglass red

I meant Rashford on the left not right

but because I was filling in on the post from up above where he showed his lineup from goalie and down I did it like that, can see why it would cause misunderstanding

anyway

won't he cost a lot more than that though. I know he apparently has a buyout clause but there will be more than 1 club in for him.

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Ole is the only reason not to play a 4-4-2 diamond formation.
MCT
Fred Grealish
Bruno
Martial Rashford
Good shout, haven’t we played with this before when ole first took over? With all our players back and fit this would probs be the best system.

Mainoldo

Sorry ot but its very possible Werner will be starting striker for Germany in Euro's and same time Martial will watch France games at home. It tells something. Martial is good footballer but not better than Werner.
You see this is where I get slightly confused? Starting striker? So that would mean he starts for German right?

Mainoldo

Big fan of Werner but I reckon Bundesliga to Prem is a bigger step up than folk realise. Martial in Bundesliga would be one of the most heralded players in the world
Thank you. These guys won’t know though. So no point explaining.

Mainoldo

Grealish is currently earning £35k per week, where on earth are these £200,000 figures coming from?

Surely it's likely to be around £45-£55m and £90k per week?!
They paid a lot of money to keep him. He might be on 45k basics but he’s getting over £100k at Villa.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Can see it now.
Villa ask 70m, we all laugh at such a nonsense fee.
Then it breaks at once, that we're "close" to an agreement.
Then it goes quiet for aggeeesss.
Then the stories of how we want to pay 50m, but Villa are holding out for 70m.
Then the talk of how we want to pay 50m, plus 10m on appearances.
Then just when everyone's given up hope, we sign him for 63m with 8m on appearances late on.

dal

Grealish
Pogba
Mctominay
Fred
Sancho
Rashford
Martial
Bruno

8 Quality players fighting for 6 positions

Ighalo
Matic
James
Greenwood
Garner

4 support genuine motivated support acts bar matic

We’d be genuine threat to anyone.

Buy Sancho and Grealish keep pogba

I’d be happy with Sancho Grealish and recall Smalling.

Make it happen. Huge long shot lubol

arthurka

Grealish
Pogba
Mctominay
Fred
Sancho
Rashford
Martial
Bruno

Ighalo
Matic
James
Greenwood
Garner

Pogba ain't staying.

Stadjer

Grealish
Pogba
Mctominay
Fred
Sancho
Rashford
Martial
Bruno

Ighalo
Matic
James
Greenwood
Garner

I would move McT and maybe Fred down to that support group though. Are they really good enough to be in the 'quality player' group? Greenwood will hopefully join that quality group soon.

Pogba ain't staying.
We can hope he does stay. Certainly keeping one of the most talented players in the world is a good thing?

Le Red

Some people on the caf just want new players at any cost. Grealish's two favoured positions are taken by Bruno and Rashford. Rashford is basically our best player as seeing as Pogba is on his way out while Bruno is the man we're pinning our hopes on to replace Pogba, so how does Grealish fit in.

Yes you could play them both in CM but this makes little sense to me because they are both AM's. City did it with KDB and Silva but Pep is a master of midfield play while our dear Ole is anything but.

It makes far more sense to get a proper CM and DM than trying to shoehorn Grealish into the team because you like him.
Grealish's favorite position is CM according to himself.

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
Ole is the only reason not to play a 4-4-2 diamond formation.
MCT
Fred Grealish
Bruno
Martial Rashford
Didn't he start with a diamond formation when he was the caretaker? If I recall correctly, this is what he initially played:

Martial Rashford
Lingard
Pogba Herrera
Matic​

DCP

If Pogba doesn’t leave then play a diamond with
Whoever at the defensive base
Grealish Pogba
———Bruno
Martial — Rashford

Martial and Rashford both have the ability to split although both favour the right.

Williams has an ability to get forward on the left, if you look at Wan Bissaka’s stats then he has the ability on the right.

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
It might be a bit tricky but not impossible to fit in both Bruno and Grealish as both are hard working albeit risk taking midfielders. You need a high engine third midfielder like McTominay or Fred to tackle and retrieve the ball but otherwise they can learn to not lose possession cheaply like KDB and Silva do at City.

Ballache

Supports
Martial
----------------------Fred---------‐-------------
Sancho-Grealish-Bruno-Rashford

Doubt Sancho will happen but that would be :drool:
Pogba is most likely gone IMO. Add a striker to compete with Martial and we should be aiming for 3rd.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist

Pogba is most likely gone IMO. Add a striker to compete with Martial and we should be aiming for 3rd.
That midfield wouldn't work in the slightest.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Some people on the caf just want new players at any cost. Grealish's two favoured positions are taken by Bruno and Rashford. Rashford is basically our best player as seeing as Pogba is on his way out while Bruno is the man we're pinning our hopes on to replace Pogba, so how does Grealish fit in.

Yes you could play them both in CM but this makes little sense to me because they are both AM's. City did it with KDB and Silva but Pep is a master of midfield play while our dear Ole is anything but.

It makes far more sense to get a proper CM and DM than trying to shoehorn Grealish into the team because you like him.
Yeah I really don't get it. It's like signing Mata when we had Kagawa. People came up with all sorts of formations to shoehorn them in together, in the end they almost never played together and we ended up selling the one pretty quickly.

Pretty obvious that in the eyes of our management, this is what our plan is for now:
Rashford Martial ???
McTominay Bruno Fernandes
????
Williams/Shaw Maguire ??? AWB
De Gea
You could argue Greenwood right wing or rotating with Martial long term, but in general it's sign one more striker. McTominay is best as a box to box, and we've been playing Fred in the deep lying midfield role but I don't think he's set as the long term guy in any way. That's the position we need. Of course it's true we need depth, but we aren't going to spend 60m on Grealish when the rest of our team isn't set, and especially when if you try to fit both Grealish and Fernandes in the same starting 11, we end up with a bad balance somewhere on the pitch. Put one of them on the right, and you leave the right flank empty essentially and relying on AWB to do the attacking, which he isn't good at. Put them both in the middle and that midfield will be a gaping hole barring Roy Keane behind them.

Mainoldo

Title challenge :drool:

sherrinford

We use Rashford like Son
I expect he'd be utilised in the "Son role", although he could also probably play through the middle as a conventional #9. Grealish and Fernandes would then be used in much the same way Spurs played Eriksen and Ali. Obviously, this is all hypothetical!
I’m not seeing it - in what way would this more easily ‘solve’ the potential issues with deploying Grealish and Fernandes in the same lineup? Which one is Eriksen, starting from the right? Why would it be markedly better or more sensible to have one of them coming inside from a nominal right attacking midfield role, as opposed to merely using Grealish deeper as a no.8 - a position where I’m led to believe he played all of last season, started this season, which is closer to (if not actually) his preferred position and one of the roles his manager considers him able to play.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks

Fred is f*cked in this formation.

I like it.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
As much as I like Grealish - I don't think Grealish is someone who should be coming in to United and be guaranteed to have a starting role here if we have players like Pogba still at our disposal.

I don't think grealish will be disposing silva or bernardo 100%, neither do I think he starts every game for Liverpool - so I think it's okay that he joins and he doesn't exactly fit our set up perfectly.

Let him play CAM instead of Lingard, Mata & Pereira, let him play CM instead of pereira whilst players like mctomminay, Matic & Fred can maybe consider on focusing on getting better deeper in midfield. Let him cover LM instead of pereira when Rashford is Injured etc. We need this type of player - a quality player that is a first team player that takes the spot of 3-4 average ones.

croadyman

Grealish
Pogba
Mctominay
Fred
Sancho
Rashford
Martial
Bruno

Ighalo
Matic
James
Greenwood
Garner

Hate to burst your bubble but there is no chance Utd could afford Sancho without selling Pogba

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
We need a proper RW, not a CM/LW. I’d rather we go for Sancho than this Guy. I mean fork out 80 mill plus 200k/week wages for grealish would be madness. Good player but not what we need.
Sancho shouldn't undoubtedly be the top priority. He's on a different level in terms of ability. But if we sell Pogba, Grealish may be a good option to provide some technical class in central areas.

jamesjimmybyrondean

I’m not seeing it - in what way would this more easily ‘solve’ the potential issues with deploying Grealish and Fernandes in the same lineup? Which one is Eriksen, starting from the right? Why would it be markedly better or more sensible to have one of them coming inside from a nominal right attacking midfield role, as opposed to merely using Grealish deeper as a no.8 - a position where I’m led to believe he played all of last season, started this season, which is closer to (if not actually) his preferred position and one of the roles his manager considers him able to play.
Grealish has played as a 10 in games and he's been just as good as when he played 8. As for the bolded part, just watch how Pochettino used Eriksen in games.

If we sign a DM we can still play 4-3-3 with Bruno and Grealish ahead of the DM. Or we can play 4-2-2-2 with Bruno and Grealish as right and left attacking midfielders

beingshe7don

Grealish plays as a No. 8.
Bruno plays predominately as a No. 10
Rashford is more of a No. 11 or No. 9

So I don't understand your confusion. Play a formation of 4-1-2-1-2 (with wingbacks for width)

----------------------------- Rashford --------------------------- Greenwood
------------------------------------------------------Bruno
-----------------------------Grealish------------------------------ MCT
Williams------------------------------------ Fred------------------------ ---------- AWB
----------------------- Maguire-------------------------- ----Lindelof

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
If only we had attacking RB, this could work

-------------------------Striker ----------------

Rashford --------Grealish ----------------
----------------------------------------- Bruno ---
------------ Fred ----
--------------------------McTom --------

dal

Hate to burst your bubble but there is no chance Utd could afford Sancho without selling Pogba
Net spend last year was circa £60 mio

Grealish Sancho and Bruno would take net spend this year to circa £200 mio

£125 mio net spend per year in addition to taking lukaku and Sánchez off the wage bill

100 percent we can afford it

Stacks

Grealish
Pogba
Mctominay
Fred
Sancho
Rashford
Martial
Bruno

Ighalo
Matic
James
Greenwood
Garner

I dunno man. Think some of those aren't as great as you believe and will only disappoint. Also we would need a manager to bring it out of them

arthurka

I would move McT and maybe Fred down to that support group though. Are they really good enough to be in the 'quality player' group? Greenwood will hopefully join that quality group soon.

We can hope he does stay. Certainly keeping one of the most talented players in the world is a good thing?
Agree hope he does.. But it´s pretty clear that his agent is trying to get him out.
If we could have him fully fit and motivated it would be a huge help.

Alabaster Codify7

Net spend last year was circa £60 mio

Grealish Sancho and Bruno would take net spend this year to circa £200 mio

£125 mio net spend per year in addition to taking lukaku and Sánchez off the wage bill

100 percent we can afford it

Nah. Are you mad? £48 on Bruno; Grealish will set us back, what, £60-70m? Sancho would be a good £120m.

Personally, I think it's Pogba sold for £120m which covers Bruno and Grealish. No RW.

sherrinford

Grealish has played as a 10 in games and he's been just as good as when he played 8. As for the bolded part, just watch how Pochettino used Eriksen in games.

If we sign a DM we can still play 4-3-3 with Bruno and Grealish ahead of the DM. Or we can play 4-2-2-2 with Bruno and Grealish as right and left attacking midfielders
Grealish is a very good player who looks versatile and like he can affect games regardless of where he is deployed. Wasn’t your assertion yesterday that Grealish IS a left winger or attacking midfielder, that he is not a central midfielder and if we are looking for someone to play deeper in midfield it should not be him?

Now I wouldn’t truly know - I’ve seen Grealish being his side’s best player as well as being one of the best players on the pitch from a left attacking position in a few different setups, as a no.10 and as a striker. The first Villa game I caught this season was against us, and I dont think I watched a single game of theirs last season, so I haven’t seen him playing centre midfield. Have you? Did he not play predominantly from deeper last year? People talk about him ‘dragging Villa up’, his manager clearly sees it as a viable position for him and he himself has said ‘no.8’ is his favoured role.

I do know that McGinn is best with the freedom to attack the box, thriving as the player with license to vacate midfield - again I don’t know as I didn’t see it but I imagine a midfield three involving those two saw McGinn as the advanced no.8, nominally to the right and broadly the equivalent of the no.10 in our system, and Grealish as the deeper no.8, nominally to the left and broadly the equivalent of Pogba in our system. Our standing in the Premier League is obviously closer to Villa in the Championship as opposed to them scrapping for survival this year, where the extra steel in midfield and Grealish’s class higher up the pitch is perhaps more useful and a reason for the change in role this season.

Deeper, I envision him playing a bit like Moussa Dembele did for Spurs - similarly unrushed in possession, coupled with the requisite athleticism and technical quality he is excellent at evading pressure and carrying the ball forward. Along with players like Thiago and Modric, Dembele showed that just because someone can be effective in an advanced position doesn’t mean that they can’t or shouldn’t be playing deeper.

Pochettino was a bit of a tinkerer but on the whole I would say Eriksen was typically deployed from the right, moving infield (particularly if we are thinking about how he accommodated all of Son, Alli and Eriksen - Son left, Alli off Kane). Which of Grealish or Fernandes would you propose plays the ‘Eriksen role’? My issue is I think it’s more of a stretch to expect better results lining up like this as opposed to using both in a more conventional midfield three, precisely because I see no reason to believe that either would excel starting from the right wing.

A 4-2-2-2 seems okay until you think about what we would want our full backs to provide in attack and what the set defensive shape would look like - with Grealish and Fernandes pulled into a flat four.

Status
Not open for further replies.