Jack Grealish / signs new 5 year contract

Status
Not open for further replies.

fps

He's obviously talented but if we get him we'll end up playing him in a position different from the one which he had form in. A mistake we've made far too often.
Absolutely, he drifts and plays off the left. I don't understand that. A right winger is needed. Unless he's going to come in to a midfield three playing on the left of it, which is where Pogba played for Juventus but just hasn't played at all for United.

andersj

Nick Powell Expert
He's obviously talented but if we get him we'll end up playing him in a position different from the one which he had form in. A mistake we've made far too often.
I have kept an eye on him for close to a year. He has had form in any position he has played.

He probably gets more attention as an attacker. That is natural. I also think he gets more attention since he has been doing it over a longer period of time and people gets more awareof him. His utility is a huge plus!

Irrational.

He never looks rushed on the ball. What a player. Excellent set piece delivery too. A player like that can play in any system. Can't see us getting him though, will be too expensive. And I can see the whole summer being spent chasing after Sancho.

ROFLUTION

He's sort of like a mix between Beckham and Rooney. Has the football intelligence and runs of Rooney, but the passes of Beckham. Of course not 100%, but same traits.

ROFLUTION

Very unselfish in his play too. He'd be a perfect playmaker here. I'm tired of waiting for Pogba to be a succes too

laughtersassassin

Himself and Sancho are the two must buys if possible this summer.

Then depending on the Pogba situation look at a striker and or midfielder

RedCurry

We need creativity in the midfield and while Grealish is a good player, he isn’t that player.

vanderpants

if you believe the papers then we are more interested in signing Maddison this summer over Jack, Personally id rather sign Jack

Sanche7

Himself and Sancho are the two must buys if possible this summer.

Then depending on the Pogba situation look at a striker and or midfielder
Would love to see it happen but those two alone would cost 200 mill plus. If we can get 120 mill for Pogba (unlikely), then we can maybe try to buy them. Those two plus a striker and/or DM is not going to happen IMO

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
We need creativity in the midfield and while Grealish is a good player, he isn’t that player.
I disagree. We shouldn't buy players for the sake of bucketing them into particular types. Bruno Grealish Maddison are all very capable players in both work ethic, defensive duties and creativity. They're all able to work as a unit and share the burden.

I really don't want to go for some key man risk concept again, like we did with Pogba, and buy a midfielder for the sake of creativity alone and hope it all goes through him. No well run club does that.

Morpheus 7

Excellent performance, he was everywhere in that game. Always looking for the ball, no matter how many times he was fouled. Decision making with the final ball isn't perfect but great creativity.

the chameleon

I feel he can be that catalyst in the team that takes us to another level. Maddison is good too, but I see him as more of a system player and I don’t see him fitting in here like Grealish would. Grealish is definite more of a go-getter. I would be happy if we got him before we went for Sancho.

We then go all-out for Sancho.

I think a defensive midfielder can also wait, a mixture of Fred, Matic and McTominay can hold fort for another season. Maybe either Fred and/or McTominay improve even further and we save millions. If they don’t, we can make that the priority for next summer.

beingshe7don

I'm absolutely convinced that Grealish is the guy we need to get at all cost and will help fill the Pogba void He will need help but I think this guy is outstanding. 60m would be a bargain.

WelshManc

100% want this guy to replace Pogba, I've completely changed my mind between him and James Maddison.

Him and Sancho are a MUST for us and would improve us massively. Just hope we can get them.

yorkiered

No he said himself he prefers to play as a no.8,He's actually playing out of position out wide.

Judas

Open to offers
If you'd asked me at the start of the season I'd have preferred Maddison, I didn't expect Grealish to take to the PL as comfortably and as well as he has, he's been brilliant.

But he wants to be in that area of the field we've seen Rashford look great in, so I'm just a bit concerned we'd not be getting the best out of him potentially.

laughtersassassin

Would love to see it happen but those two alone would cost 200 mill plus. If we can get 120 mill for Pogba (unlikely), then we can maybe try to buy them. Those two plus a striker and/or DM is not going to happen IMO
Ambition is required. Can't be making excuses constantly

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
Ideal pogba replacement. Brave and makes things happen. Him, a RW, a striker and a left back would be an amazing summer.

sp_107

He looks like a grafter and a real leader too which we really need at this moment.

Him/Sancho/Soumare/Werner would be a wet dream but hope we go in this direction atleast. Identify the alternatives and try to get deals done before EURO starts is the KEY.

JoeyJoJoJrShabadoo

What has sold me on Grealish is his grabbing games by the balls. We havent had a player like that in a while. I actually think he can improve also. I have fancied Maddison for a year, but Grealish is in pole position.

zenith

Getting him is more important than getting Sancho imho. His ability to play transition from midfield to attack and not loose position in midfield is something we have lacked.

It'll take the creative burden off bruno exclusively and allow them to play off each other. Not to mention he'll be quality as LW too and a more than able replacement should rashford be injured or need a rest.

RedCurry

I disagree. We shouldn't buy players for the sake of bucketing them into particular types. Bruno Grealish Maddison are all very capable players in both work ethic, defensive duties and creativity. They're all able to work as a unit and share the burden.

I really don't want to go for some key man risk concept again, like we did with Pogba, and buy a midfielder for the sake of creativity alone and hope it all goes through him. No well run club does that.
I can stand by that sentiment. We can take the pragmatic approach where our midfield plus Grealish along with a couple of additions in attack should see us be a solid top four side. There is a chance that Grealish still steps another level and becomes the type of player I want to see in our midfield.

An example of midfield I’d like would be Carrick, Pogba, Eriksen(all in their prime) type midfield where everyone‘s a creative midfielder with different responsibilities. But at the moment I suppose we can’t expect top players to come in and I can see why we would try to pick players who seem to be on the cusp and would easily be an improvement on our current players.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
Sell Pogba for 100m
Buy Grealish for 50m

Has to be the first order of business we do this summer, as soon as Villa’s relegation is confirmed.

Kush

Hyperbolic and will post where they like!!
He's turned into a brilliant player but where do you see him fitting in?

Grealish plays as a #10 or drifts in from left, Rashford obviously has that LW position sewn up which leaves #10. Now, there are two problems. 1) Top sides these days don't play with a 10; 2) We signed a player in Bruno who thrives as a 10 but he can actually play as an 8 something Grealish can't (at least at the same level as he does as an AM)

Grealish is an AM while our needs are that of a CM/DM. In attack, signing a quality RW and a striker ranks higher on the agenda as well.

He would still be a good signing but I don't think he'd improve structural or functional issues in our team much, because it would mean either him or Bruno don't get utilized efficiently.

No he said himself he prefers to play as a no.8,He's actually playing out of position out wide.
Grealish played as an 8 at the start of season, he didn't even look half the player he does now. Moving him higher up the pitch has changed Villas' fortune.

jamesjimmybyrondean

He's turned into a brilliant player but where do you see him fitting in?

Grealish plays as a #10 or drifts in from left, Rashford obviously has that LW position sewn up which leaves #10. Now, there are two problems. 1) Top sides these days don't play with a 10; 2) We signed a player in Bruno who thrives as a 10 but he can actually play as an 8 something Grealish can't (at least at the same level as he does as an AM)

Grealish is an AM while our needs are that of a CM/DM. In attack, signing a quality RW and a striker ranks higher on the agenda as well.

He would still be a good signing but I don't think he'd improve structural or functional issues in our team much, because it would mean either him or Bruno don't get utilized efficiently.

Grealish played as an 8 at the start of season, he didn't even look half the player he does now. Moving him higher up the pitch has changed Villas' fortune.
I do think he's best position is no. 10 or left and playing him anywhere else could be like when Ole plays Pogba in a pivot in 4-2-3-1 limiting his ability. In my opinion I can see how he and Bruno would fit if we get Pochettino. Grealish can play the role Alli played under Pochettino as the attacking midfielder while Bruno can play the Eriksen role on the right.

Kush

Hyperbolic and will post where they like!!
I do think he's best position is no. 10 or left and playing him anywhere else could be like when Ole plays Pogba in a pivot in 4-2-3-1 limiting his ability. In my opinion I can see how he and Bruno would fit if we get Pochettino. Grealish can play the role Alli played under Pochettino as the attacking midfielder while Bruno can play the Eriksen role on the right.
Bingo, that was the point I was trying to make. Trying to include both Bruno and Grealish in the same side would mean asking one of them to do a role which isn't their specialty. Bruno hasn't ever played as a RM, which was Eriksens role for a while but later he transitioned into a proper CM. While Grealish would no doubt thrive as a 10, that would mean playing a formation which has gone out of fashion in recent times, and it would mean deploying Bruno in a deeper role.

I think both Bruno and Grealish while play with different styles are similar type of players. They are at their best higher up the pitch, when all the plays funnel through them. The only bit I would like to point out is that Grealish is a good dribbler and can take people on, which is why he's been so successful as a LW. We can play him there but that would mean, switching Rashfords' position back to CF.

We had our shot at buying a creative attacking midfielder, and we made the choice by signing Bruno. Addition of Grealish would likely create more headache than solution to our problems. We're better off prioritizing a RW, DM and a CF, all 3 would improve our functioning as a unit.

yorkiered

Bingo, that was the point I was trying to make. Trying to include both Bruno and Grealish in the same side would mean asking one of them to do a role which isn't their specialty. Bruno hasn't ever played as a RM, which was Eriksens role for a while but later he transitioned into a proper CM. While Grealish would no doubt thrive as a 10, that would mean playing a formation which has gone out of fashion in recent times, and it would mean deploying Bruno in a deeper role.

I think both Bruno and Grealish while play with different styles are similar type of players. They are at their best higher up the pitch, when all the plays funnel through them. The only bit I would like to point out is that Grealish is a good dribbler and can take people on, which is why he's been so successful as a LW. We can play him there but that would mean, switching Rashfords' position back to CF.

We had our shot at buying a creative attacking midfielder, and we made the choice by signing Bruno. Addition of Grealish would likely create more headache than solution to our problems. We're better off prioritizing a RW, DM and a CF, all 3 would improve our functioning as a unit.

You can play Grealish on the left & bruno on the right in a midfield three with a holding cm behind them.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
For me the older grealish gets the less CAM he is & this will happen also with the better players he plays with.

Its not his creativity that wows me - it's his ability to get past players and start and attack & for a bigger club than Aston villa (no offence), I want him to play deeper - bypass a poor press and let Rashford go on a run on the left.

For me he is our LCM.

He has the ability to bypass 2/3 players constantly with a dribble and we need to think is that going to happen at United in the congested defensive opposition area or is it more likely to happen in Central midfield? For me it's the second.

OverratedOpinion

Checklist between now and the start of next season.
  • Get a top class coach.
  • Get as many talented technical players as possible.
  • Sign a striker who has more than a passing interest in scoring goals.
He fits in with that so I am all for it.

marktan

Yeah I agree with this. He's a class player and a leader, but really as a type of player he's not too different from Pogba or even Bruno. We have a lot of other structural issues that need sorting - namely our front 3. Unless we intend to sell Pogba, or play Graelish as a left forward, then the transfer doesn't really make sense for us.

Rashfords emergence this season helps us a lot, but Martial and James aren't good enough currently for a top team. We need a top CF and a top RW much more than we need a creative midfielder. That's not to say Graelish wouldn't improve us - I watched Villa in the Championship and he'd improve any team he goes to. But with limited budgets and his likely cost we're better off prioritising our front line.

Status
Not open for further replies.