Jack Grealish / signs new 5 year contract

Status
Not open for further replies.

mattunited1978

doommonger
Cant believe some wouldnt want him because of fitting him in to the starting 11....We'r one injury away from Lingard, Peirera or Mata starting for us again. We need to build talent in the squad, a very talented, young, English player, coming into his prime, is exactly what we should be looking at.

Judas

Open to offers
Cant believe some wouldnt want him because of fitting him in to the starting 11....We'r one injury away from Lingard, Peirera or Mata starting for us again. We need to build talent in the squad, a very talented, young, English player, coming into his prime, is exactly what we should be looking at.
Some people really struggle to understand this simple concept. I suppose maybe once Lingard and Andreas are back playing and dragging us down again they'll start to get how important squad depth is? One day the standards on here will be high again.

Highfather_24

Also, reading through the thread about where Pogba will fit in when he returns a lot of people are saying that he should not come in and disrupt the midfield balance of Matic Fred and Bruno and should even be on the bench. Which is a stark contrast to people suggesting different types of formations to fit in Grealish thereby disrupting the current balanced midfield.
Because he is a shiny new toy?
Some people really struggle to understand this simple concept. I suppose maybe once Lingard and Andreas are back playing and dragging us down again they'll start to get how important squad depth is? One day the standards on here will be high again.
I think people understand squad depth and the need to have a backup for Bruno(like James is for Rashford or Williams is for Shaw) but people are saying buying a player for 50-60M to be a backup, when we have more immediate needs in other positions(RW,CF) is more than we can afford. Now if Pogba leaves I can see us going for another creative mid, but can Grealish play deep like Pogba does?

Kostov

This guy screams like a Manchester United signing all along, just like AWB and Maguire did. Bring the guy in he will be great for us.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
last sentence misses the point I think... if we can sign one player this summer for silly money, we would be insane to sign a left winger, even if we can shoe horn him into other positions.
One of the key things making this deal work so well for us is that he shouldn't cost 'silly money'. He seems likely to cost around the 50-55m mark, which in today's market is almost a bargain for somebody of his quality.

I think people understand squad depth and the need to have a backup for Bruno(like James is for Rashford or Williams is for Shaw) but people are saying buying a player for 50-60M to be a backup, when we have more immediate needs in other positions(RW,CF) is more than we can afford. Now if Pogba leaves I can see us going for another creative mid, but can Grealish play deep like Pogba does?
The fact that he, along with many of our other options, is able to play quite a few different positions means that he would end up playing just as many games as most of the others. The idea would be that we'd be able to rotate (either resting players or through injury) amongst quite a few players without really losing any real quality. Look at the difference that Bruno has made since he came in. Look at how much we lost when Rashford got injured. I believe he played pretty much all last season in a deeper midfield role. Obviously that was in the Championship, but it's another position he could rotate into. Wouldn't surprise me if he would also play on the right sometimes (or maybe he'd play as #10 and Bruno plays on the right).

Signing Grealish shouldn't stop us signing a right winger, and I'd say his signing is more important than another striker (if Ighalo keeps playing well hopefully we can get him back fulltime for relatively cheap). Especially if Pogba goes, but even if he stays I would hope we sign him unless that money is the difference between signing Sancho or not.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
I agree but I personally can't see someone like Grealish being happy with a rotation role.
He plays for Villa not Real Madrid.

He's not walking into City/Liverpool/Chelsea's first team either. He's an uncapped player also with no European experience, I think he'd be very happy to challenge for a place at a club like that. If he wants to make the next step up you have to fight for a place with other good players.

sparx99

Who's he taking those 40 starts off though? His two best positions are LW where Rashford plays and #10 where Fernandes plays, can't see him benching either of them for 20 games a season, especially if we advanced deep into competitions when we'd want to be playing our best 11s. I've not seen a great deal to suggest we'll play a 3-man midfield either, even when everyone was fit earlier in the season Solskjaer still opted for the double pivot. I think he'd be an unbelievably good option for rotation and I'd be happy if he joined but like I said, I'm not convinced he'd come here for that.
He would take those 40 starts off 2/3 players. When Martial was injured and Rashford went through the middle that’s 10 starts. All the games Andreas Pereira and Jesse Lingard have played this season albeit Bruno takes most of those. League cup games, Fa Cup games and Europa/Cl games all add up.

City had the likes of Mahrez And Jesus on the bench yesterday. Real played city with Bale and others on the bench. Bayern has Coutinho on the bench against Chelsea.

Big teams have good players on the bench.

elnorte

Freaky fly day
Probably better thinking about first team top quality as a priority right now as opposed to someone who can 'do a job' from the bench.

Dante

Average bang
We need two senior creative midfielders because we have no senior creative fullbacks.

Our two best fullbacks are arguably the best pair of defensive FBs in Europe. Forcing them to become attacking because it's fashionable at the moment would be the wrong move.

We need a system to accentuate the strengths of who is already here and then new players to make up for the weaknesses.

A DM-AM-AM midfield is the only thing that makes sense for United.

We're not Liverpool, with TAA and Robertson at FB, who require 3 grafters in the middle to give them balance. Ole has his own squad composition and will buy according to its needs.

Grealish would be perfect alongside Bruno and a holding player.

Dante

Average bang
The worst thing we could do is put all our eggs into the Bruno basket, the same way as we did with Pogba.

Injuries and dips in form happen.

United have been setting up 'to get the best out of Pogba' for years now. Yes, it makes his individual stats look good but it means we neglect other areas. On top of that, we're left woefully inflexible.

When you build around a single creative outlet, every Summer becomes about giving them a platform. It's no mystery as to why all our other midfielders after Pogba have been defensive water-carriers. They've been brought in to unlock him rather than compete with him.

Grealish would be a second Bruno. That's not a bad thing.

Bestietom

I'm not sure abut Grealish yet. He plays on the left side so Who drops out. Certainly not Rashford.
I think we should be looking at a RW first, and maybe a deep lying playmaker next.

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
Grealish, Sancho a DM would be a staggering summer.

That will be with Pogba moving on though.

Craig Ward

Because he is a shiny new toy?

Grealish wont be the only signing and he is useful in that he can play in more than 1 position. Why cant we sign Grealish to improve the overall quality of the squad and sign 2, 3 or maybe 4 other players for different areas of the squad?

Pogba is more than likely gone and has he has proven, Pogba isnt very good playing from deep anyway. He's been very wasteful and inconsistent there, but to answer your question no Grealish cant operate from deep like a Fred or a Matic, he's a flair attacking player.

I dont think the term "back up" is relevant in this day and age. There are more games, you cant play the same x11 every week. Grealish would be a squad player, as is every single player these days. We need quality throughout, not just the starting 11.

One thing we are lacking is squad depth, this needs to improve. Targeting Grealish along with others to rotate/compete is essential for sustained success. You think Pep or Klopp would be happy with Periera or Lingard or Chong as 2nd choice? Not a chance. Time we started thinking and shaping our squad like a big club, us fans need to accept that our squad isnt good enough and it needs improving and we need to remember that good teams ALWAYS look to improve

Craig Ward

The worst thing we could do is put all our eggs into the Bruno basket, the same way as we did with Pogba.

Injuries and dips in form happen.

United have been setting up 'to get the best out of Pogba' for years now. Yes, it makes his individual stats look good but it means we neglect other areas. On top of that, we're left woefully inflexible.

When you build around a single creative outlet, every Summer becomes about giving them a platform. It's no mystery as to why all our other midfielders after Pogba have been defensive water-carriers. They've been brought in to unlock him rather than compete with him.

Grealish would be a second Bruno. That's not a bad thing.
Exactly this. Brilliantly worded. We have tried for 3 seasons to "unlock" Pogba. And he's still underforming and sulking and edging for a move

Time to change the mentality and sign players that benefit the whole squad

Dorris

We need two senior creative midfielders because we have no senior creative fullbacks.

Our two best fullbacks are arguably the best pair of defensive FBs in Europe. Forcing them to become attacking because it's fashionable at the moment would be the wrong move.

We need a system to accentuate the strengths of who is already here and then new players to make up for the weaknesses.

A DM-AM-AM midfield is the only thing that makes sense for United.

We're not Liverpool, with TAA and Robertson at FB, who require 3 grafters in the middle to give them balance. Ole has his own squad composition and will buy according to its needs.

Grealish would be perfect alongside Bruno and a holding player.
Best explanation I've seen

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
Probably better thinking about first team top quality as a priority right now as opposed to someone who can 'do a job' from the bench.
The thing is we don't need a starting 11 and then bench players. We need a group of about 14 players who are all first team quality, then we have the backups behind them. Those 14 players then rotate amongst each other, keeping themselves fresh so they don't have to play every single game, pushing each other to always be at their best, and ensuring we have real game-changing quality to come off the bench. They also give us the cover for injury, both when players are actually out and also giving us the ability to not rush players back too early because we are so reliant on them.

Grealish would be coming here to be one of those 14 first team players. He wouldn't start every game, but between injury, rotation and form I'd expect him to start well over 50% of the time. I wouldn't be surprised if it's up closer to 80%.

Nick.

He is a must n my opinion. Sell Pogba and get him please. With him we can field 3-4 leaders on the pitch at any given time. Maguire, Grealish, Bruno, Matic, McTominay.

No more players who don't want to be here, no more Raiola circus.

Seven Seas Sardines

I see lots of people are confused as to how to fit him in as a starter in every game. Simples. Grealish should mostly be close to the box when we're in possession, doing one-twos and winning free-kicks for Bruno to dispatch.

4-3-3, parked buses:
Rashford Martial Sancho
Grealish------------
----------------
Bruno
Fred
Diamond:
Rashford Sancho
Grealish
Fred - Bruno
McT
3-5-2:
Rashford Martial
Grealish
Fred Bruno
And that's not even considering his versatility in other positions..

Highfather_24

If we sell Pogba, we will just have Fred, McTominay and Matic for the 2 man midfield setup we have. We desperately need more quality there, perhaps a playmaker who can play deeper. I think we should prioritize that midfielder, Sancho and another striker, rather than Grealish who I think will be a luxury signing. Would I like him here? Sure. But I dont think we can afford to shell out so much cash.

Sancho - 130M
Midfielder- 50M
Striker- 30M

Thats 220M right there. Grealish in addition to that? Sure I would love it but its Glazers. I doubt it.

Reactions: Invictus

Highfather_24

I understand where people are coming from. What happens when Bruno gets injured? Sure we need more creativity. But what happens when Fred/McTominay get an injury. We will just have Matic and one another. We desperately need a deeplying midfielder if we are persisting with our 2 man midfield setup. Now if we switch to a 4-3-3(perhaps when Pogba is back?). Then I can see getting Grealish as a direct replacement for him.

If we do end up getting Grealish we can line up like this in the games where the oppo will sit back :
----Fred/Matic
-Bruno--Grealish

And like this in the bigger games :

McTominay--Fred
----Bruno/Grealish

RkkMan

If we sell Pogba, we will just have Fred, McTominay and Matic for the 2 man midfield setup we have. We desperately need more quality there, perhaps a playmaker who can play deeper. I think we should prioritize that midfielder, Sancho and another striker, rather than Grealish who I think will be a luxury signing. Would I like him here? Sure. But I dont think we can afford to shell out so much cash.

Sancho - 130M
Midfielder- 50M
Striker- 30M

Thats 220M right there. Grealish in addition to that? Sure I would love it but its Glazers. I doubt it.
Think we`ll extend Ighalo`s stay so the price for a ST will be significantly cheaper and the midfielder will be Grealish only for 60m which is realistic. The potential sales of Smalling, Rojo, Pogba, Lingard and possibly Alexis will still keep the net spend below 60m which is what The Glazers want.

RkkMan

Yeah, that definitely ain't happening.
Why not?? It`s been known and briefed for a while we have no problem breaking the bank for Sancho which is very believable cause he`s English, already a top player at 19, plays in a position we are starved of quality and will likely be our new poster boy to replace Pogba. If we can spank 80m on a 26yr old PL defender 130m for an English wonderkid won`t be a problem for Woodward

stepic

he performs best on the left, not in midfield. we have other priorities than adding more even more depth on the left. he's a class player but not a necessity i don't think.

Sanche7

Grealish, Sancho a DM would be a staggering summer.

That will be with Pogba moving on though.
Agree. Bruno & Grealish supplying Rash, Martial and Sancho would be just amazing to watch. Plus the oldest of that front five will be Bruno, who will be just 26 next year.
We will have to get a very good DM though as he'll have a lot of work to do.
Add a WC CB and maybe a top class striker in the following windows of Lindelof and Martial do not realise their potential

jamesjimmybyrondean

I think when Pogba returns from injury and we start changing formation it will be clear to see how Grealish would fit in. For now with our current formation, if we get Grealish he will be back up to Bruno

Pass and Move

Perhaps the most dominant midfield in PL history, was KDB and Silva playing in front of Fernandinho. Grealish, Bruno and one of Fred/McT can replicate this in the easier games. In fact, even in the tougher games both Bruno and Grealish can easily perform as 8s either side of a 6.

Also, should Rashford, Martial, or Bruno get injured we have the flexibility of Grealish to compensate.

davidmichael

We arent dropping Fred and we need a DM alongside him.
Buying Grealish is the bad old days of buy now and fit in later
I’m not suggesting that we SHOULD play Fernandes and Grealish together as our first choice pairing but that it ISN’T a Fifa formation for them to play together as was suggested, we’ve seen what happens when we rely on one player as our sole source of creativity in Pogba and with him going in the summer we’ll be left with just Fernandes which means if he were to get injured we’d be back to Lingard and Pereira so signing Grealish is a great idea.

izec

If Pogba goes, he is a must IMO. A DM (and RW obviously) too, Matic can't keep up forever.

We have plenty of deadwood to ship out to make space for some new signings, that are competing for starting places.

Grealish, Bruno, Fred, McT, Matic, New DM is perfect for 3 positions. Plus Grealish and Bruno are flexible, and Matic needs to be rotated anyway. Everybody will get a lot of minutes.

Le Red

last sentence misses the point I think... if we can sign one player this summer for silly money, we would be insane to sign a left winger, even if we can shoe horn him into other positions.
Left winger? Grealish is very versatile. He said himself his favourite role is no. 8. Playing him central is not shoe horning all.
That highlights my point. People are now used to players who can only perform one role well. Multidimensional players like Grealish are more valuable than ever because they can fit the team's needs and fill the gaps while retaining their qualities.

Dante

Average bang
Gerrard's most productive season was as a right-winger.

Modric was also a left-winger in his first season in the PL. Until Harry Redknapp turned him back into a midfielder.

Status
Not open for further replies.