Jack Grealish / signs new 5 year contract

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stacks

You are judging them on a full career. At Grealish's age Cantona was busy assaulting teammates and being suspended for insulting his manager on TV. At 25 he announced his grand David Bently-esque retirement (having achieved the square root of feck all) after being suspended for chucking a ball at the ref, then insulting every member of the FFF disciplinary panel who banned him for a month. He was more comparable to Nile Ranger.

Keane left Nottingham Forest when they flat bottom of the divison but he was still in the team of the year - something Grealish might well have emulated this year.

Footballers are always going to be given extraordinary leeway by clubs. Tony Adams MBE was a prolific drink driver. Years ago Schmeichel was accused of making a racial remark by Ian Wright and Fergie later told Wright that he 'never had him as a race card player'.

Football clubs will tolerate just about anything short of unforgivable criminal behavior and while a lot of posters will say "if I did that at my job.." , that simply doesn't matter because good players are gold dust. You think Chelsea will terminate Mason Mount's contract? They are at the absolute top of their profession while the caf poster is not. I'm sure plenty of morons broke the curfew this week. But only one of them can pop one in the top corner from 30 yards. So all this post 2010 moral grandstanding really counts for f--- all.

It's only when they retire and join the real world that they become as expendable as the rest of us.
I agree. This pretentious holier than thou act needs to stop!

It's seeping into pop culture where everyone want a big pat on the back and seeks to prove they are better people than another to earn morality points.

People make mistakes.

Kostur

海尔的老板
People comparing this absolute nobody with our legends to somehow make his idiotic behaviour look less shit are comical.

Art Vandelay

I never wanted him before this latest incident and I still don't. I just don't think he's that good and if he wasn't English he wouldn't get half the hype. I've seen nothing to suggest he can cut it just being a cog in a better team without the team being built around him.

Oldyella

You are judging them on a full career. At Grealish's age Cantona was busy assaulting teammates and being suspended for insulting his manager on TV. At 25 he announced his grand David Bently-esque retirement (having achieved the square root of feck all) after being suspended for chucking a ball at the ref, then insulting every member of the FFF disciplinary panel who banned him for a month. He was more comparable to Nile Ranger.

Keane left Nottingham Forest when they flat bottom of the divison but he was still in the team of the year - something Grealish might well have emulated this year.

Footballers are always going to be given extraordinary leeway by clubs. Tony Adams MBE was a prolific drink driver. Years ago Schmeichel was accused of making a racial remark by Ian Wright and Fergie later told Wright that he 'never had him as a race card player'.

Football clubs will tolerate just about anything short of unforgivable criminal behavior and while a lot of posters will say "if I did that at my job.." , that simply doesn't matter because good players are gold dust. You think Chelsea will terminate Mason Mount's contract? They are at the absolute top of their profession while the caf poster is not. I'm sure plenty of morons broke the curfew this week. But only one of them can pop one in the top corner from 30 yards. So all this post 2010 moral grandstanding really counts for f--- all.

It's only when they retire and join the real world that they become as expendable as the rest of us.
Very true on what clubs will tolerate. Would be nice if more clubs would take a stand but difficult when players are multimillion £ assets.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
I never wanted him before this latest incident and I still don't. I just don't think he's that good and if he wasn't English he wouldn't get half the hype. I've seen nothing to suggest he can cut it just being a cog in a better team without the team being built around him.
I don’t think his nationality is the case, more that he’s carrying Villa right now and some believe that’s enough for Utd to consider him.

Trying to look at it in balance, he has a lot of ability, is crafty and intelligent. The negative being that he’s a big fish in a small pool. Can he make a huge difference to Utd given what villa would want? I’m not convinced personally.

Sancho definitely but I’m struggling to see why he’s worth the fees being touted

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
I agree. This pretentious holier than thou act needs to stop!

It's seeping into pop culture where everyone want a big pat on the back and seeks to prove they are better people than another to earn morality points.

People make mistakes.
It’s not pretentious to have standards. People make mistakes yes but when Grealish does what he did in the current climate sorry but for me that tells me everything I need to know about him as a person. Self centred.

MalcolmTucker

It’s not pretentious to have standards. People make mistakes yes but when Grealish does what he did in the current climate sorry but for me that tells me everything I need to know about him as a person. Self centred.
Especially when he posted a video earlier that day telling people to stay at home
:lol:

jamesjimmybyrondean

I don’t think his nationality is the case, more that he’s carrying Villa right now and some believe that’s enough for Utd to consider him.

Trying to look at it in balance, he has a lot of ability, is crafty and intelligent. The negative being that he’s a big fish in a small pool. Can he make a huge difference to Utd given what villa would want? I’m not convinced personally.

Sancho definitely but I’m struggling to see why he’s worth the fees being touted
His nationality and playing in the premier league is definitely the case for me. His best positions are occupied by Rashford and Bruno. If he was Spanish and carrying Villareal he'd be mentioned as a bench option or not mentioned at all

Grealish is a low rent version of what we already have. Now Bruno is here we have zero need for him, even if Pogba does go. He doesn't strike me as the sort to be happy warming the bench and would we put up with his antics if that's all he is going to be doing?

Champagne Football

About 6 months after Moyes has idiotically given Rooney that mega contract, it was clear Rooneys heart wasn't 100% in it anymore. He felt he could still cruise through most games at 80% such was his talent.

Ole said the other day about the culture he wants at the club 'If you don't sacrafice, then you're just passing through'

And Grealish could be that type to take the foot slightly off the pedal, who is happy to regularly go out for drinks once he's had his fair share of success, and drop down to 80% commitment like Rooney, Sanchez, Lee Sharpe, Dwight Yorke did etc. But he has been a real leader on the pitch this season, but I honestly don't think we need him due to Mejbri, Garner, Mata and possibly Angel Gomes next season as back up to Bruno.

Art Vandelay

Grealish is a low rent version of what we already have. Now Bruno is here we have zero need for him, even if Pogba does go. He doesn't strike me as the sort to be happy warming the bench and would we put up with his antics if that's all he is going to be doing?
Exactly, if we are going to be signing someone to move Bruno deeper into midfield then they have to at least be on Bruno's level. Which I've just not seen from Graelish. Yeah he's carrying Villa, but Villa are probably going to get relegated.

RedorDead21

Exactly, if we are going to be signing someone to move Bruno deeper into midfield then they have to at least be on Bruno's level. Which I've just not seen from Graelish. Yeah he's carrying Villa, but Villa are probably going to get relegated.
I’m not for Grealish but your argument doesn’t stack up. Likewise as an attacking force he is shining in a team which may go down. Not easy. Keane was shining at a team to be relegated as well. The lad is a stand out PL performer this season. I just think you can’t be out drinking etc and still make a difference in the CL etc which is what we need to be buying. His selfish attitude is more akin to joey Barton and it will definitely stop him getting to the heights he could otherwise hit.

Art Vandelay

I’m not for Grealish but your argument doesn’t stack up. Likewise as an attacking force he is shining in a team which may go down. Not easy. Keane was shining at a team to be relegated as well. The lad is a stand out PL performer this season. I just think you can’t be out drinking etc and still make a difference in the CL etc which is what we need to be buying. His selfish attitude is more akin to joey Barton and it will definitely stop him getting to the heights he could otherwise hit.
He's shining amongst the shit around him, that doesn't mean he will continue to shine with better players around him and the team not built around him. I've nothing to suggest he's worth taking a punt on at the prices quoted. On or off the pitch.

Stacks

Why are these standards important for football?

Many great players were self centered.

Holier than thou......

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
You think anyone who drinks can’t make a difference in the CL? There are absolutely loads of CL winners who drink.

KennyBurner

This is so important. At villa he is given free reign to perform. What we don't need is another player that wants to do what he wants instead of sacrificing for the team. Its why players like Mctominay are so important for the balance of the team. I would have liked to see him play for England where he is grouped with better players. Personally after he's little stunt I wouldn't want him here but ive seen reports suggesting we are still after him. I wouldn't pay more than 60 million for him. Better yet we could wait till Villa are relegated and get him for 40.

jamesjimmybyrondean

Is he good? Yes
Is he determined to be a winner? Yes
Is he professional on the pitch? Yes

What else do guys mean when you talk of character of a United player?

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
Is he good? Yes

SAF would verbally destroy Grealish in front of the dressing room for stuff he done recently... and he could also defend him on the pitch because Jack is more than a decent baller just like you stated. Can't deny the talent, but If Ole took any lessons from SAF, he'll probably be careful who are we spending 50m on.

If this will happen or not, player himself must raise his outrside the pitch standard if he wants a move to any bigger club for that matter. We need to get back in biggest stage of football very soon and we'll need 100% professionalism which is not only prepared legs, but also sober minds.

I like the player, he got that bit of Griezmann's elegance on the ball. He definitely was bored and decided to party and things are already complicated as they are.

Kag

Ferguson had no issue buying bellends. If anything, he actively sought to bring them provided they were dedicated on the field and didn’t question his authority.

Rightly or wrongly, Grealish’s transgressions won’t impinge upon any potential move to the club.

Stacks

You think anyone who drinks can’t make a difference in the CL? There are absolutely loads of CL winners who drink.
don't we give out bottles of alcohol for man of the match in England?

Is he good? Yes

must stand in front of a United flag and pledge allegiance every morning. Must not have fun or even worse a fun personality. Must never dance on instagram. Must be against fashion and bright clothing.

KennyBurner

Is he good? Yes

Basically a player who doesn't break protocol and risk lives of thousands during a global pandemic all because he wants to go out with his mates. Lets not pretend we dont understand why the forum is questioning his character.

Le Red

So much overreaction. Stupid and irresponsible behavior, no doubt, but people want him to be "cancelled" because of that? Typical 2020 neomoralistic shenanigans.
Mark my words: all the people slagging him on this thread are gonna have memory issues when he curls the fattie in the top corner of OT in a Man. United shirt for the first time. I guarantee it.

Oldyella

Holier than thou......
You could say these standards are important for everyday life at the minute. There are plenty of posts in the Covid threads calling out idiots from every walk of life for acting irresponsibly now, footballers shouldnt get a pass. Especially ones posting videos that day saying how important this lockdown is.

Shouldnt stop us signing him though if Ole thinks this is an aberration/one off.

Righteous Steps

Basically a player who doesn't break protocol and risk lives of thousands during a global pandemic all because he wants to go out with his mates. Lets not pretend we dont understand why the forum is questioning his character.
But fly kicking a fan is ok, give it a break Ferguson bought a lot of players with antagonistic personalities, I can name a good few, some turned into legends!

KennyBurner

But fly kicking a fan is ok, give it a break Ferguson bought a lot of players with antagonistic personalities, I can name a good few, some turned into legends!
How do you compare something that was done during his time here to something that was done by a player with no association to us? Also don't know when I ever said fly kicking a human being is ok. Relevance?????

sherrinford

How do you compare something that was done during his time here to something that was done by a player with no association to us? Also don't know when I ever said fly kicking a human being is ok. Relevance?????
Basically, him going out, seeing friends, drinking, whatever may mean he is an idiot in general but it is not relevant with regards to football. When talking about his character and whether or not he is the kind of personality you would want in your team, it is his mental fortitude on the pitch that should be considered.

Devil may care

People comparing this absolute nobody with our legends to somehow make his idiotic behaviour look less shit are comical.
Agreed, being a lowlife cheating on your wife or being a dick in contract situations is hardly the same as someone drink dirving and going out in the middle of a pandemic where people are dying in droves every day, including the NHS staff who are giving their lives to help people, you can bet most of society are going to see the two things in a very different light.

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout

Holier than thou......
Ole wants the right characters. If this was not during a national lockdown I couldn’t give two tosses but the fact he has publically virtue signalled with his stay at home everyone spiel and then completely flouted the rules that apply to every British citizen and half the world right now to get pissed with his mates shows me somebody who hasn’t got the maturity to play for United. Before this happened I didn’t care about his laughing gas antics etc but this for me crosses a very clear line that most reasonable people understand.

It’s not just a silly act it’s a potentially life threatening one as it trivialises a crucial healthcare message. Do you not think his actions will only embolden the next dickhead to do the same?
This!
You could say these standards are important for everyday life at the minute. There are plenty of posts in the Covid threads calling out idiots from every walk of life for acting irresponsibly now, footballers shouldnt get a pass. Especially ones posting videos that day saying how important this lockdown is.

Shouldnt stop us signing him though if Ole thinks this is an aberration/one off.
I think if Ole is really serious about this right character I think spending 40+ million on him would undermine that message and personally I’d lose a lot of respect for the “culture” he wanted to build.
Fly kicking a fan is stupid but he was already a United player. There’s also a big difference between being provoked and being slelfish in a time where the whole country is making little or in some cases huge sacrifices.
Agreed, being a lowlife cheating on your wife or being a dick in contract situations is hardly the same as someone drink dirving and going out in the middle of a pandemic where people are dying in droves every day, including the NHS staff who are giving their lives to help people, you can bet most of society are going to see the two things in a very different light.
Yet some people clearly think it’s just a bit of banter as NHS staff (of which I have several in my immediate family and friends) are literally out there dealing with the absolute horror of watching people die without family there to comfort them. But n’aw lets all lay off poor Ickle Jack because he’s just being a lad. Cretins

jamesjimmybyrondean

He definitely deserves the criticism. Any other person would have also been heavily criticized. The problem is we can't be affiliated with players that do dumb shit like that.

Alemar

Why is Grealish so highly sought after? He isn’t such a great player, to be frank. much rather a “good” player. But is “good” enough for what we need?

sherrinford

He definitely deserves the criticism. Any other person would have also been heavily criticized. The problem is we can't be affiliated with players that do dumb shit like that.
Of course he deserves criticism. But, why can’t we be affiliated with players that do dumb shit like that?

sherrinford

Ole wants the right characters. If this was not during a national lockdown I couldn’t give two tosses but the fact he has publically virtue signalled with his stay at home everyone spiel and then completely flouted the rules that apply to every British citizen and half the world right now to get pissed with his mates shows me somebody who hasn’t got the maturity to play for United. Before this happened I didn’t care about his laughing gas antics etc but this for me crosses a very clear line that most reasonable people understand.

It’s not just a silly act it’s a potentially life threatening one as it trivialises a crucial healthcare message. Do you not think his actions will only embolden the next dickhead to do the same?

This!

I think if Ole is really serious about this right character I think spending 40+ million on him would undermine that message and personally I’d lose a lot of respect for the “culture” he wanted to build.

Fly kicking a fan is stupid but he was already a United player. There’s also a big difference between being provoked and being slelfish in a time where the whole country is making little or in some cases huge sacrifices.

Yet some people clearly think it’s just a bit of banter as NHS staff (of which I have several in my immediate family and friends) are literally out there dealing with the absolute horror of watching people die without family there to comfort them. But n’aw lets all lay off poor Ickle Jack because he’s just being a lad. Cretins
The right characters. The maturity to play for United.

Watching him this season you would say that he fits.

Judas

Open to offers
Feel like people saying a lot of the moral stuff are acting like they were born yesterday, none of this recent stuff will be a factor of if he joins us. It will be people on forums and twitter that might still go on about it, the wider population and world won't be losing their shit over his ignorant behaviour in a months time, let alone when the football season actually starts again, there's been far bigger crimes committed by footballers.

Last edited:

jamesjimmybyrondean

Of course he deserves criticism. But, why can’t we be affiliated with players that do dumb shit like that?
If Ole is very detailed about this United character thing It might put him off. Personally i dont even care. What should matter is if he is good on the pitch, If he is professional, wants to be a winner and if he isn't toxic.

Stacks

I agree with this

Status
Not open for further replies.