Jack Grealish / signs new 5 year contract

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scholsey2004

People mentioning Sir Alex? Wasn't there several players who spoke about being hungover to death at training?

Didn't Nani say Sir Alex wasn't too worried if you showed up drunk during the festive period.

My thinking is this:
Grealish made his video telling people to stay home.
He got bored.
He got drunk(Plenty of us doing this if we managed to stock the liquor cabinet beforehand).
Judgment clouded, he got into his car against curfew.

I'm not condoning it, but I can picture the thought process involved.

Would still sign him though. He did a strange thing at a strange time, but that doesn't eliminate his professionalism as a footballer.
He didn't just get drunk. He drove over to his mates house during lockdown, got drunk and then tried to drive home, hitting cars presumably because he was still drunk. He's a terrific player but he's one of those lads, like Rooney, who every so often will get caught out doing something completely idiotic. It's not like it's the first time he's been all over the papers for the wrong reasons either.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
He didn't just get drunk. He drove over to his mates house during lockdown, got drunk and then tried to drive home, hitting cars presumably because he was still drunk. He's a terrific player but he's one of those lads, like Rooney, who every so often will get caught out doing something completely idiotic. It's not like it's the first time he's been all over the papers for the wrong reasons either.
To be fair it's the first time in a few years I believe. He seemed to mature out of that phase and get his act together. Obviously he slipped up again here. On the one hand it's a worse time to do it because of everything going on, on the other it was probably easier to slip back into it as he's bored and doing nothing. Hopefully he'll take this the right way and it'll lead him to stay away from trouble more in the future.

He'sRaldo

If I'm honest, I think how people view the severity of his mistake depends on how much they like him. I remember when Lingard made that social media mishap last summer, the criticism he faced was huge and snowballed further into the season. Pogba also has a lot of microscopic criticism of his every move, and he doesn't even do anything scandalous really. The reason why these two attract a lot of criticism is that some people just don't like them, and they are unable to answer on the pitch (in Pogba's case due to injury).

I think if people were to admit Grealish made a bad mistake, but they like him and thus don't care about the mistake, that's more honest than downplaying the severity of the incident. As we've seen on the site, we don't need much to really pile on, hate on, micro analyze, and overcriticize players, provided we already don't like them.

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
That suggests she wasn’t his ex at the time. Only at the time of the article which seems to have been published around a month after they split.
"John Terry today faces serious questions about his role as England captain after he was named as having an affair with the ex-girlfriend of team-mate Wayne Bridge."

I guess the Daily Mail could be looking to play down how shitty Terry was (as if cheating on his wife wasn't bad enough). They have a history of being reasonable and non-sensationalist after all.

Slysi17

Surely we can do better than Jack fecking Grealish. There is way better midfielders in Europe that we can get than this guy. I would love us to sign Jaden Sancho but not this guy. It's just buying a average overhyped English player for the sake of it.

jamesjimmybyrondean

Surely we can do better than Jack fecking Grealish. There is way better midfielders in Europe that we can get than this guy. I would love us to sign Jaden Sancho but not this guy. It's just buying a average overhyped English player for the sake of it.
Tell us the attacking midfielders you think we should get that's not Grealish

Slysi17

Tell us the attacking midfielders you think we should get that's not Grealish
Donny Van De Beek, Zakaria, Kai Havartz, or Dani Olmo would improve us. You really think Jack Grealish would help us win titles again or even make us a consistent top four side? Liverpool and not even Chelsea or Tottenham would sign this guy.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Quality control
Donny Van De Beek, Zakaria, Kai Havartz, or Dani Olmo would improve us. You really think Jack Grealish would help us win titles again or even make us a consistent top four side? Liverpool and not even Chelsea or Tottenham would sign this guy.
:lol::houllier:

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Are you kidding me. So Jack Grealish is better than Donny Van De Beek. A guy that's played in the champions league versus a player who has spent most of his career in the championship.
:lol: It gets better

Maldo

He is decent, but mostly plays on the left for Villa and thats his best position. Can play as a number 10 as well. We dont need anyone in these positions. We should focus on a top class RW and CB (for Lindelöf). Nothing else needed. If Martial gets injured or needs a rest we can push Rashford up top and put James on the left or play Greenwood.

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
Anyone questioning his ability can’t have paid much attention to his ability and it’s a bit naive to think he’s sub par because he’s played in the championship.

He’s undoubtedly a quality player for me the huge turn off was his behaviour during this outbreak and I stand by my belief he’s not the right character and I almost guarantee if he signed for us he’ll be involved in another stupid story. But he is comfortably one of the best creative players in the Premier League right now.

Equally though you cannot laugh at what we’re high quality suggestions in the right age bracket although some are pipe dreams as Olmo just moved (and isn’t proven yet) and Havertz is more likely to move to a Bayern Munich than United we never sign top German players. Zakaria isn’t the same kind of player but obviously brings his own qualities. Van De Beek would be a very good squad option to have

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
If I'm honest, I think how people view the severity of his mistake depends on how much they like him. I remember when Lingard made that social media mishap last summer, the criticism he faced was huge and snowballed further into the season. Pogba also has a lot of microscopic criticism of his every move, and he doesn't even do anything scandalous really. The reason why these two attract a lot of criticism is that some people just don't like them, and they are unable to answer on the pitch (in Pogba's case due to injury).

I think if people were to admit Grealish made a bad mistake, but they like him and thus don't care about the mistake, that's more honest than downplaying the severity of the incident. As we've seen on the site, we don't need much to really pile on, hate on, micro analyze, and overcriticize players, provided we already don't like them.
I really wanted Grealish before the accident. I absolutely don't want him anywhere near the club now.

It's not the drinking - People drink
its' not the drunk driving - No one got hurt luckily. I can get over that.

It's the fact that he chose himself and his selfish fun over the common good when an entire nation is literally taking one for the team by putting their lives on hold on a lot of aspects. He couldn't even do the very simple thing of staying home.

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
I really wanted Grealish before the accident. I absolutely don't want him anywhere near the club now.

It's not the drinking - People drink
its' not the drunk driving - No one got hurt luckily. I can get over that.

It's the fact that he chose himself and his selfish fun over the common good when an entire nation is literally taking one for the team by putting their lives on hold on a lot of aspects. He couldn't even do the very simple thing of staying home.
My thoughts exactly unquestionably a great talent but after that event IMO he can’t possibly have the right team mentality for United. Look at Bruno and his mentality and look at Grealish. Chalk and cheese.

Alabaster Codify7

Grealish and Maddison both seem like wankers in my opinion, I hope we swerve them both when the window is eventually open.

Buy Partey or Zakaria and one other, preferably neither of these two twats.

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
Grealish and Maddison both seem like wankers in my opinion, I hope we swerve them both when the window is eventually open.

Buy Partey or Zakaria and one other, preferably neither of these two twats.
Maddison has done typical stupid footballer stuff which whilst I don’t like it doesn’t really make me massively questions his character team wise as others for United have done similar things at similar ages.

pratyush_utd

Can't tell DeGea and Onana apart.
Do we really need him if we end up getting Sancho and keeping Pogba? I mean Sancho would cost huge amount of money and we badly need a DM. Also not sure how he will fit with all the players we have.

Grealish will cost a lot of money and if we are looking at backup then surely there are cheaper options out there.

jamesjimmybyrondean

Zakaria is not an AM though. Kai Havertz would be costly. Olmo just moved. Van De Beek is a good shout. To sum it up Grealish would be much cheaper than Havertz and is better than Van De Beek and Olmo plus he has pl experience

Fahad Jawaid

Do we really need him if we end up getting Sancho and keeping Pogba? I mean Sancho would cost huge amount of money and we badly need a DM. Also not sure how he will fit with all the players we have.

Grealish will cost a lot of money and if we are looking at backup then surely there are cheaper options out there.
Plenty of people have put across the same point of wanting a DM instead of Grealish. However, for me its simple, Ole started this season with 4-2-3-1 with Pogba and Mctominay as holding midfielders and Lingard as a number 10.

With the signing of Bruno we have filled our number 10 position. Whereas if Pogba stays he will continue to play with either Scott or Matic as a Deep lying Playmaker and Fred as Pogba replacement.

With Grealish, we will be signing him as a cover for Bruno, Pogba and Rashford. Plus Ole is fully aware of how an injury to either Pogba or Bruno next season will result in us having only one attacking midfielder. Whereas inorder to break relegation sides we need atleast 2.

Lastly, it is also possible that we know Pogba might leave next season (2021), so to ensure we have proper backup and next year we would only require a DM to replace him and Matic.

Also with Villa likely to be relegated and owing to this pandemic where every side will have to look after their finances. This is the best chance to acquire him where we could possibly sign him for 40 million pounds as against 60 odd million next season.

James Peril

Tottenham literally tried to sign him like twice, they put in bids, read a few articles before making an even bigger fool of yourself. Chelsea would love to have him in their team, but they are probably stocked well as it is. As for Liverpool, they are 30 points ahead of United, perhaps not that important what they would need. Furthermore, Van de Beek and Olmo aren’t close to being proven and ready-made, the former has taken a big step down after his best mates left Ajax. Your post reaks of being written by a teenager influenced by forums, FM and «top 50 talents in Europe right now»-articles in footy mags.

beingshe7don

1. Van De Beek is a terrific player and I wouldn't mind having him at United. He would give us depth in a variety of positions in midfield when we're faced with injuries.
2. Zakaria is a player I would want to have at United at all cost and I would bring him in ahead of Grealish because he's more of a No. 6 and he can also fill in at CB when required.
3. Havertz is a luxury player and I don't think I would want him at United. I don't think he fits into Ole's philosophy. His form has tapered this season and hasn't provided enough to justify his 90m price tag
4. Olmo is a player we should have gotten for 30m during Jan when we had the chance but I don't think he's gonna leave Leipzig anytime soon.

Grealish is not my no 1 for this upcoming transfer window especially if Pogba remains.

I think we need to get RW, DM, ST & AM in that order

RW - Sancho/ Ferran Torres/ Chukwueze
DM - Zakaria/ Partey/ Ndidi
ST - Werner/ M Dembele/ Eduoard/ Osimhen
AM - Grealish/ Van De Beek/ Castrovilli

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
1. Van De Beek is a terrific player and I wouldn't mind having him at United. He would give us depth in a variety of positions in midfield when we're faced with injuries.
2. Zakaria is a player I would want to have at United at all cost and I would bring him in ahead of Grealish because he's more of a No. 6 and he can also fill in at CB when required.
3. Havertz is a luxury player and I don't think I would want him at United. I don't think he fits into Ole's philosophy. His form has tapered this season and hasn't provided enough to justify his 90m price tag
4. Olmo is a player we should have gotten for 30m during Jan when we had the chance but I don't think he's gonna leave Leipzig anytime soon.

Grealish is not my no 1 for this upcoming transfer window especially if Pogba remains.

Why is AM any sort of priority? We literally just signed Bruno who has shown he's basically our best player. If Pogba stays we definitely don't need another midfielder, would be beyond overkill. We'd have Bruno, Pogba and McTominay as a starting 3, and then Matic and Fred as senior backups with youth like Garner, Gomes, Mejbri to have the 6th midfield spot (and push for higher). If Pogba leaves then of course I think we need one, but at the same time it's not absolutely vital, provided Garner or Gomes step up and become very useful squad players at least (too soon though IMO).
Also I always laugh a bit when people post these future plans/line ups, and then leave out McTominay... everything the management has been working hard to do and get us back to our roots, is pretty much represented in McTominay. Guy has turned into an excellent player and is only getting better. He's a long term staple in any of our starting 11's IMO.

Agree that RW is the priority with Sancho. Striker I think keeping Martial as the main guy for another season and extending Ighalo for another season or 2 as a squad player would balance everything well, while young players are developing and the squad is still finding its feet. If next season Martial doesn't really cement it as his own (which I think he will, he was having a very good season and getting better with better support behind him), then we look at another striker.
Priority #2 I would put for the ideal partner to Maguire. Lindelof just isn't that guy, Bailly has potential but needs to stay fit, Smalling should probably start next year if he comes back but not sure if he will, Tuanzebe is young (but old for the small amount of football he's actually played) and shouldn't really be trusted with anything yet til he proves otherwise, and the rest should be sold. But for this next window, if we hold Pogba, keep Smalling at the club, extend Ighalo and sign Sancho, I'd say that's perfect and we'd be really well placed next year.

Slysi17

Insulting another member
:lol: It gets better
Well since you think Jack Grealish is the second coming of Lionel Messi and a potiential ballondor winner we have to sign him then. I wonder why other top clubs aren't going for Jack Grealish then you smart arse
Why not articulate your thoughts? He at least presented an argument.
Exactly what I did. I think he was being an arse. I just presented my thoughts and why we shouldn't get him. Charlene was just being a dickhead.

Slysi17

Tottenham literally tried to sign him like twice, they put in bids, read a few articles before making an even bigger fool of yourself. Chelsea would love to have him in their team, but they are probably stocked well as it is. As for Liverpool, they are 30 points ahead of United, perhaps not that important what they would need. Furthermore, Van de Beek and Olmo aren’t close to being proven and ready-made, the former has taken a big step down after his best mates left Ajax. Your post reaks of being written by a teenager influenced by forums, FM and «top 50 talents in Europe right now»-articles in footy mags.
I just think there are better options out there beyond Jack Grealish. Signing Jack Grealish won't make Manchester United win premier league or champions league titles which should be our aim eventually. That post reeks of someone accepting a top four challenge every season.

Last edited:

Hawks2008

We already did do better, we signed Bruno Fernandes. Grealish is not a priority unless he is happy to warm the bench.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
I just think there are better options out there beyond Jack Grealish. Signing Jack Grealish won't make Manchester United win premier league or champions league titles which should be our aim eventually. That post reeks of someone accepting a top four challenge every season.
Not all transfers needs to be a world-beater. Besides that, Jack Grealish has more than enough talent to feature even rotationally for a top Premier League side, and if Villa go down he can present very good value for money.

No one is pointing to Jack Grealish to say "he's the man that will help propel us to the league". In fairness there were so many people saying the same about Fernandes but their tunes may have changed since. Fact is though, its a squad that wins a league and when Bruno or Pogba both get injured for a few weeks, you'd want us to be able to call upon the lines of Jack Grealish to step up than point to Andres Pereira or Lingard.

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
Not all transfers needs to be a world-beater. Besides that, Jack Grealish has more than enough talent to feature even rotationally for a top Premier League side, and if Villa go down he can present very good value for money.

No one is pointing to Jack Grealish to say "he's the man that will help propel us to the league". In fairness there were so many people saying the same about Fernandes but their tunes may have changed since. Fact is though, its a squad that wins a league and when Bruno or Pogba both get injured for a few weeks, you'd want us to be able to call upon the lines of Jack Grealish to step up than point to Andres Pereira or Lingard.
This is exactly why I wanted him before his stupid and selfish act. He wouldn’t be a starter at the club in the current side so with all that down time I don’t trust him to show the right character.

We do need someone like him though to stop Lingard and Pereira being relied on.

sp_107

Almost spot on. Kind of best available targets we should focus on.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
This is exactly why I wanted him before his stupid and selfish act. He wouldn’t be a starter at the club in the current side so with all that down time I don’t trust him to show the right character.

We do need someone like him though to stop Lingard and Pereira being relied on.
Going by The Athletic his incident did not go unnoticed but he has built up enough goodwill from what he's done over the years both on/off the pitch for us to continue with him as a major target

Raven

I'm not entirely sure what to make of his antics lately. While it was as dumb as shit, I know plenty of people doing way dumber things and he's still only human.

I have enough trust in our new transfer policy that if he's brought in, I'll be happy and get behind it. If not, I'll trust Ole and the rest of them that his head isn't in the right place.

crossy1686

career ending
Yeah, let’s sign Oblak instead

Catt

Ole's at the wheel!
:lol:

Slysi17

Your the 2nd person that has done that to me and I don't like it. I don't want to get into a heated argument so can you actually say something than just insulting me like that. I just gave my opinion and have nothing against Jack Grealish. I just think we should sign someone else. It annoys me when people post something like this.

Striker10

"Ronaldo and trophies > Manchester United football
you see people talk about his quality but it's the same snobbish attitude we've seen in the past regarding Vardy and Mane.....Grealish in the United squad could be a much better version of the one playing for Villa or he could flop but I think he'd do well and he's at a good age. But there's many factors. We can talk about the quality of other players but we have a budget and we just don't know. He had good technical quality and to me (baring the stupidity...which i'm sure he'll learn from), it's almost a non brainer.

He will improve the quality of the squad, give us strong options and YES...will help us. We've seen we can compete with top teams. We've dropped points mostly against teams we should be stronger then. I think as one of the players we could bring in, he would do very well for us. We are talking about a squad here. I think he would be productive in our style of play and in our system but people need to think again. Someone like James Milner wouldn't exactly excite you but produces moments of quality and is reliable. Not everyone can be Ronaldo....

He's at a good age. He's got good ability on the ball and can produce quality where it matters. He can beat a player - something which we could do more of.

Status
Not open for further replies.