Jack Grealish / signs new 5 year contract

Status
Not open for further replies.

DSG

I think there are several reasons why Aston Villa need to sell Grealish, possibly coming to terms now.

During the shutdown, the clubs in poor financial shape will be struggling to pay wages. They and their creditors need guarantees that they will have revenue coming in from player sales.

There is a good chance that Aston Villa will go down. If they don't sell him now, his value will likely drop with everyone knowing that Villa have to sell. If they do sell him, but stay up, they will be positioned to spend some money on his replacement in a down market.

I've heard of our interest from too many sources for it to be complete fake news.

lenny_1248

If the club has the money to buy Sancho and Grealish, then go on.
Grealish is an excellent ball carrier plus he is that type of player who is good even when his team struggles. This is smth Maddison does not have, this character.
And I think he would be OK starting the season on the bench. He certainly has the character and drive to have a "I prove you wrong mentality" and fight for his place.
Having him as a cover for Bruno or Pogba or Rash (and not Lingard or Pereira) can be crucial next season. I'm sure he will get plenty of time.

croadyman

A dm only makes sense over an am if we are keeping pogba.
Maybe we are keeping Pogba and there is some legs to the rumours of us trying to sign Saul who isn't a natural DM but is a very strong tackler and interceptor of the ball in more of a Deep Lying Playmaker type role.

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
Maybe we are keeping Pogba and there is some legs to the rumours of us trying to sign Saul who isn't a natural DM but is a very strong tackler and interceptor of the ball in more of a Deep Lying Playmaker type role.
Would be best case scenario

Kag

A dm only makes sense over an am if we are keeping pogba.
Pretty much. If Pogba stays (and I’m coming round to this view in light of COVID) then he and Bruno can carry the creative load. A better alternative to provide competition to McTominay, Fred and Matic would leave us sitting pretty.

If Pogba leaves then Grealish is very necessary, however.

pacifictheme

Pretty much. If Pogba stays (and I’m coming round to this view in light of COVID) then he and Bruno can carry the creative load. A better alternative to provide competition to McTominay, Fred and Matic would leave us sitting pretty.

Doesn't even need to be him, but we wil absolutely need competition for bruno if pogba goes.

Eckers99

Michael Corleone says hello
I want us to sign Grealish and I am not really concerned with where he fits in the team nor in how many games he plays. He creates chances. He doesn't wilt in the face of strong opposition. As many have mentioned here, we again have a lot of players who need moving on, so there is room.
Everything that's been wrong with our historical transfer strategy in one simple sentence.

MyOnlySolskjaer

Creator of Player Performance threads
Good news, he didn't make that much sense as a priority signing looking at our current squad composition.

Also he's a bit of a twat. Horrendous actions during this pandemic.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Good news, he didn't make that much sense as a priority signing looking at our current squad composition.

Also he's a bit of a twat. Horrendous actions during this pandemic.
Agreed, he would've made quality rotation but for the prices being touted it would suggest we were eyeing him for a starting role.

Deery

Dreary
Saul would be a much better signing than Grealish, if the numbers been touted are real.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
As long as it's not Declan Rice then a DM is fine by me too. One thing we don't lack is positions to strengthen.

SpyLuke10

I think Mejbri will be getting plenty of minutes next season and he plays the same role as Grealish, so maybe he will save us some cash. Angel Gomes can perhaps do a job too.
i seriously doubt this and honestly would be very concerned if a skinny 17 year old was getting plenty of minutes next season for our first team. beyond an appearance or two in the league cup or fa cup (and probably off the bench too) it just aint happening imo.

croadyman

Saul would be a much better signing than Grealish, if the numbers been touted are real.
Yeah unrealistic as it probably is him & Sancho would be a class summer. I would also be quite happy if we just kept Ighalo rather than targeting a new striker too.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?

A core midfield of Bruno, Pogba, New DM, McTominay and Fred looks incredibly balanced and has bags of talent.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Playing where, though? In a vacuum it makes perfect sense to pick up another creative player to lessen the potential departure of Pogba. Bonus when he’s genuinely one of the best English players about and should be up for the move.

But where does he play? Bruno is the better no.10 and Rashford should be ahead of him on the left. No denying he’s a better option that Lingard or Pereira and there should be plenty of games to round, it doesn’t normally work out that way in practice.

Deery

Dreary
Yeah unrealistic as it probably is him & Sancho would be a class summer. I would also be quite happy if we just kept Ighalo rather than targeting a new striker too.
I think I would be happy with Saúl and Upamecano in the Summer, Sancho would be the dream but would be very expensive.

Champagne Football

i seriously doubt this and honestly would be very concerned if a skinny 17 year old was getting plenty of minutes next season for our first team. beyond an appearance or two in the league cup or fa cup (and probably off the bench too) it just aint happening imo.
He'll be 18 by January of next season. Greenwood was 17 when he started getting games this season. Mejbri is running amok in the youth teams and is being tipped to be a first teamer. He'll definitely be getting some game time next season. It's anyone's guess how much he will be used, but Ole is probably thinking he doesn't need to invest in a new attacking midfielder with this bloke coming through.

Last edited:

pascell

Wasn't there a journalist or someone that said this would be the case? If Pogba leaves it'll be a DM + Grealish or Maddison, if he stays just a DM. It might have even been that ITK chap that said it.

Icemav

What we do all depends on whether Pogba stays or not.

The words coming from Bruno make it all very exciting. If he and and Pogba can combine and drive each other forwards then we will have a very deadly combo that will terrify opposition.

In this case then yes maybe a DM + RW (CB?). And because we have a bit of depth with Mctominay, Fred, Matic, and James we can splash the cash and go for some real class (Havertz, Saul, Sancho, Partey etc)

croadyman

What we do all depends on whether Pogba stays or not.

The words coming from Bruno make it all very exciting. If he and and Pogba can combine and drive each other forwards then we will have a very deadly combo that will terrify opposition.

In this case then yes maybe a DM + RW (CB?). And because we have a bit of depth with Mctominay, Fred, Matic, and James we can splash the cash and go for some real class (Havertz, Saul, Sancho, Partey etc)
Yeah Sancho & any one of those three would be fantastic but a massive ask in the current climate.

Macedonian Red

If we sign DMF, with Pogba and Bruno in starting line up we will have none atacking player on the bench in midfield and three defensive (Matic, Scot Fred).

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
If we sign DMF, with Pogba and Bruno in starting line up we will have none atacking player on the bench in midfield and three defensive (Matic, Scot Fred).
Matic won’t make the bench every time. Ighalo and Greenwood would be on it. James too, probably.

It’s not amazing, but it’s a damn sight better than Pereira and Lingard every game.

Macedonian Red

Matic won’t make the bench every time. Ighalo and Greenwood would be on it. James too, probably.

It’s not amazing, but it’s a damn sight better than Pereira and Lingard every game.
But what if Bruno and Pogba must sub off and we need fresh legs? You cant put those at 10/8. Grealish for bench to cover few positions is perfect.

davidmichael

So Ornstein just confirmed what many of us suspected, we've no interest in Grealish and are after a holding midfielder instead
http://thepeoplesperson.com/2020/04...ester-united-not-in-for-jack-grealish-214043/
If Pogba stay, signs a new contract and is prepared to play at his best consistently without all the off field bollocks then I’m all for us just signing a pure defensive midfielder, Sancho and Ighalo on a permanent basis.

We’d have De Gea, Romero, Wan-Bissaka, Dalot, Lindelof, Maguire, Bailly, Tuanzebe, Shaw, Williams, McTominay, Matic, Fred, Garner, new defensive midfielder, Pogba, Fernandes, Gomes, Sancho, Mata, Chong, Rashford, James, Greenwood, Martial and Ighalo.

Those I didn’t name like Fosu-Mensah, Jones, Smalling, Rojo, Lingard, Pereira and Sanchez I didn’t because hopefully they end up out the door although I could understand keeping Smalling and Lingard as back up/worst case scenario players. Reality is we only need a defensive midfielder and Sancho away from a very good and balanced starting eleven.

pratyush_utd

Can't tell DeGea and Onana apart.
Grealish will cost upwards of 50-60m and won't start for us if Pogba stays and everyone is fit. I don't see the point at all. I would rather replace Lingard and Andreas with young academy talent. You don't buy squad players for that kind of money. It makes having academy pointless

Hawks2008

A deep midfielder is a more pressing need than another advanced midfielder. Even if Pogba does go it wouldn't make sense because we couldn't play Fernandes with Grealish and still be balanced/without sacrificing one of them by putting them deeper.

Kag

Playing where, though? In a vacuum it makes perfect sense to pick up another creative player to lessen the potential departure of Pogba. Bonus when he’s genuinely one of the best English players about and should be up for the move.

But where does he play? Bruno is the better no.10 and Rashford should be ahead of him on the left. No denying he’s a better option that Lingard or Pereira and there should be plenty of games to round, it doesn’t normally work out that way in practice.
I think Grealish is capable of playing slightly deeper on the left side of a midfield three. Which is where Pogba will mostly do his business, even if the team sheet places him deeper.

Le Red

After watching football for decades, some people just don't seem to grasp the simple fact that players get injured/knackered a lot, hence the importance of squad depth.
Once those factors come into play and Lingard/Pereira grace our first eleven once again a lot of you will look like fools by saying we don't need Grealish.

PS. "Oh but we can't pay that much for a squad player."
Please refer to Mahrez, Sane et al.

Scholsey2004

After watching football for decades, some people just don't seem to grasp the simple fact that players get injured/knackered a lot, hence the importance of squad depth.
Once those factors come into play and Lingard/Pereira grace our first eleven once again a lot of you will look like fools by saying we don't need Grealish.

PS. "Oh but we can't pay that much for a squad player."
Please refer to Mahrez, Sane et al.
What you're saying makes sense for teams who already have functional first 11's. We haven't. Our defence is pretty good now, our midfield has improved, especially since Bruno's arrival, and it now looks like a transfer for Pogba is unlikely in the near future so he'll add to the competition there. Our attack doesn't create and score enough though. When the attack is sorted we can start looking at improving the quality of the second string.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
What you're saying makes sense for teams who already have functional first 11's. We haven't. Our defence is pretty good now, our midfield has improved, especially since Bruno's arrival, and it now looks like a transfer for Pogba is unlikely in the near future so he'll add to the competition there. Our attack doesn't create and score enough though. When the attack is sorted we can start looking at improving the quality of the second string.
Obviously right wing (hopefully Sancho) has to be our first priority.

After that though, the question is whether Martial is kept as first choice striker going forward. I'm pretty sure he will be given a season to show what he can do with proper players around him, as he's shown the ability and it's only consistency that has been the issue. That would mean our entire first choice is fine and we don't need to sign anything else.

-------------------Martial-----------------
-Rashford------Bruno----Sancho-

Then for backups we've got

ST: Ighalo, Greenwood
LW: James, Martial*, Sancho*
#10 - Mata, Pereira, Lingard, Pogba* if we keep him
RW - James, Greenwood, Mata, Pereira, Lingard

*The asterisked players are players who can absolutely play there, but would be moving them from another position where they are first choice.

A very large part of our attacking issues have been that there is no creativity coming from behind them. We've been almost utterly reliant on Pogba during his time here, as seen by how he completely dominates every stat to an embarrassing extent. The arrival of Bruno has changed that and (if Pogba stays) we now have two people who can share that role which should help the team as a whole massively. If we get Sancho he will also help quite a lot in that regard, but we'd still only have two creative players in central positions in the entire squad. I would say that would now become our biggest weakness which is where Grealish would come in. He'd come in and be our main man to come into both #10 and LW (plus perhaps some games in CM), and over the course of the season I'd expect him to get a lot more starts than most seem to expect.

jamesjimmybyrondean

We need a backup ST and RW and for that we've loaned Ighalo and have been heavily linked to Sancho. I'd say we're definitely looking to sort our attack first. And so should we stop there? After signing those two positions where else do you think needs to be prioritised?

Fahad Jawaid

Obviously right wing (hopefully Sancho) has to be our first priority.

After that though, the question is whether Martial is kept as first choice striker going forward. I'm pretty sure he will be given a season to show what he can do with proper players around him, as he's shown the ability and it's only consistency that has been the issue. That would mean our entire first choice is fine and we don't need to sign anything else.

-------------------Martial-----------------
-Rashford------Bruno----Sancho-

Then for backups we've got

ST: Ighalo, Greenwood
LW: James, Martial*, Sancho*
#10 - Mata, Pereira, Lingard, Pogba* if we keep him
RW - James, Greenwood, Mata, Pereira, Lingard

*The asterisked players are players who can absolutely play there, but would be moving them from another position where they are first choice.

A very large part of our attacking issues have been that there is no creativity coming from behind them. We've been almost utterly reliant on Pogba during his time here, as seen by how he completely dominates every stat to an embarrassing extent. The arrival of Bruno has changed that and (if Pogba stays) we now have two people who can share that role which should help the team as a whole massively. If we get Sancho he will also help quite a lot in that regard, but we'd still only have two creative players in central positions in the entire squad. I would say that would now become our biggest weakness which is where Grealish would come in. He'd come in and be our main man to come into both #10 and LW (plus perhaps some games in CM), and over the course of the season I'd expect him to get a lot more starts than most seem to expect.
I have literally said the same as you did, however, alot of people have argued that we must sign first team players first.

For me if we keep that criteria of first team players then we are going to sign only Sancho and Ighalo only. For all other positions that people want us to strengthen we already have 3 to 4 players for eg. They want a Dm but what happens to Matic, Mctominay and Fred.

Furthermore, for CB we also have Lindelof, Bailly, Jones and Axel. Our biggest problem is we have far too many pointless players. In order to have a balanced squad. We need to get rid of Lingard, Perriera, Sanchez, Jones and Matic.

If we ship these players only then we have enough room to sign Grealish, Cb and Dm along with Sancho and Ighalo.

Status
Not open for further replies.