Jack Grealish / signs new 5 year contract

Status
Not open for further replies.

RUCK4444

When did haircuts get added to the list of things to be scrutinised before making a transfer?

He’s a footballer not a model. :rolleyes:

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Back in the day when United used to win honours it wasn't uncommon for us to have serious competition for positions. SAF had Cole, Teddy and Ole upfront but that didn't stop him from buying Yorke as well. We also bought Veron despite having Scholes and Keane in midfield. I think United slow decline started once we started to settle for players who 'can do the job'. Soon enough every excuse was made to justify keeping players from the 'great servants of the clubs' excuse right to he's young and learning or he works hard for the team. As Scholes once said there's something really wrong at the club when your best CMs happen to be at the wrong end of their 30s.

I don't get why one wouldn't want Graelish.

A- he's talented, hardworking and hungry for success.
B- he's at the right age for us to buy him.
C- he's versatile

Graelish would keep Martial, Rashford, Pogba and Bruno on their toes. That by itself is worth the money we might spend on him. I find some of the posts in here are unbelievable. You start thinking that Martial, Pogba and Rashford are Best, Ronaldo and Scholes. The trio has yet alot to prove and having some healthy competition might be the much needed kick at their backside for them to start performing on a regular basis.

If Aston Villa ask a realistic fee for him then we should get him. SAF wouldn't allow a player like him go elsewhere.

jesperjaap

Back in the day when United used to win honours it wasn't uncommon for us to have serious competition for positions. SAF had Cole, Teddy and Ole upfront but that didn't stop him from buying Yorke as well. We also bought Veron despite having Scholes and Keane in midfield. I think United slow decline started once we started to settle for players who 'can do the job'. Soon enough every excuse was made to justify keeping players from the 'great servants of the clubs' excuse right to he's young and learning or he works hard for the team. As Scholes once said there's something really wrong at the club when your best CMs happen to be at the wrong end of their 30s.

I don't get why one wouldn't want Graelish.

A- he's talented, hardworking and hungry for success.
B- he's at the right age for us to buy him.
C- he's versatile

Graelish would keep Martial, Rashford, Pogba and Bruno on their toes. That by itself is worth the money we might spend on him. I find some of the posts in here are unbelievable. You start thinking that Martial, Pogba and Rashford are Best, Ronaldo and Scholes. The trio has yet alot to prove and having some healthy competition might be the much needed kick at their backside for them to start performing on a regular basis.

If Aston Villa ask a realistic fee for him then we should get him. SAF wouldn't allow a player like him go elsewhere.
I agree with pretty much every word in this post....well bar spelling his name wrong all the time

Can play left, right, attacking midfield, central midfield and his performances this season have been every bit as good if not better than pretty much all of our players in the mentioned positions.

People seem to forget, bar the last few weeks before the season was curtailed and the Fernandes effect,most of our players have been lacklustre and average at best in this squad for a good two seasons or so now. Bar that three month period nobody has really proved themselves. The new signings and youngsters coming through are the ones who deserve credit.

Another good thing to remember with Grealish. Though he comes across in the press as a bit of a wrong un, remember he is the captain and dhows leadership qualities, something we have lacked massively in recent seasons. We have signed two players recently showing signs of that, adding another with the right mantality to lead is no bad thing

Le Red

Just imagine Grealish actually signing for us and being a huge success. How many hypocrites would forget that he ever broke a quarantine to get drunk and feck shit up?

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
Just imagine Grealish actually signing for us and being a huge success. How many hypocrites would forget that he ever broke a quarantine to get drunk and feck shit up?
While I’d be happy for the teams success I still maintain he hasn’t got the right attitude and I’d put money on him doing something else stupid

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
Grealish: Scores a double in the CL final against Liverpool, winning the match.

@BenitoSTARR : Bad attitude, bad haircut. Sell.
That’s not what I’ve said though.

I’ve praised him in this thread many times for his football but if Ole doesn’t want arseholes I don’t see Grealish arriving.

Nothing to do with a haircut lol!

I guess I just have different standards of behaviour we’ll see who is right soon enough and I’ll happily eat humble pie if we do sign him but we won’t.

Lost bear

That’s not what I’ve said though.

I’ve praised him in this thread many times for his football but if Ole doesn’t want arseholes I don’t see Grealish arriving.

Nothing to do with a haircut lol!

I guess I just have different standards of behaviour we’ll see who is right soon enough and I’ll happily eat humble pie if we do sign him but we won’t.
Hair cuts are important. Think back to when footballers were like Liverpool players, moustachioed and Macho and existing in an eternal 1970s...

Cast your eye back on David Beckham and his tasteful post punk barnet, and what giant steps forward were taken in football culture as a consequence of it!

The Grealish haircut- bring it on!

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
While I’d be happy for the teams success I still maintain he hasn’t got the right attitude and I’d put money on him doing something else stupid
From all reports he used to do a lot of stupid stuff when he was younger, but he'd shown real signs of maturing over the last couple of years. Obviously the incident a month or so ago was a big step back but as long as it's the only incident I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt.

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
He’s a good player but he should never be starting. Big upgrade on Lingard & Pereira on the bench though. Right wing & DM more of a priority

iHicksy

He’s a good player but he should never be starting. Big upgrade on Lingard & Pereira on the bench though. Right wing & DM more of a priority
So he's a big upgrade on two players who start for us fairly often? But, he shouldn't be starting? I think your logic is off buddy.

groovyalbert

it's a mute point
Reckon our interest has been real, but he's also a good player to boost our position in other negotiations. Can play a number of positions, good quality, and gettable.

jamesjimmybyrondean

Yes people need to understand that if Pogba stays we shouls get a DM instead of him. Our advanced midfielders would be Bruno Pogba Mata etc Box to Box Fred Mctominay Pogba again but only Matic as our DM

Remember the geese

So he's a big upgrade on two players who start for us fairly often? But, he shouldn't be starting? I think your logic is off buddy.
Lingard and Pereira are squad players. They started regularly last season mainly due to Pogba's injury and Fernandes not being with us until the end of January. With a fully fit Pogba and a full season of Fernandes, squad players they will remain. Even on the right side, we have Greenwood and James. Grealish would be a nice luxury to have as a squad player. Though I can't see it happening as this isn't the Summer for luxury signings. Sancho is the necessity.

iHicksy

Lingard and Pereira are squad players. They started regularly last season mainly due to Pogba's injury and Fernandes not being with us until the end of January. With a fully fit Pogba and a full season of Fernandes, squad players they will remain. Even on the right side, we have Greenwood and James. Grealish would be a nice luxury to have as a squad player. Though I can't see it happening as this isn't the Summer for luxury signings. Sancho is the necessity.
I get what you're saying but that's a fantasy scenario. The likely hood is that we won't have a fully fit Pogba and Fernandes for every game and we need more actual quality depth and flexibility. Not the absolute trash of Jesse sat on the bench. They both played enough games that it was to the detriment of the team. These are the kind of signings we need to make to ensure we have a quality squad from head to toe. Obviously the right wing is a priority but we need quality across the board.

romufc

I get what you're saying but that's a fantasy scenario. The likely hood is that we won't have a fully fit Pogba and Fernandes for every game and we need more actual quality depth and flexibility. Not the absolute trash of Jesse sat on the bench. They both played enough games that it was to the detriment of the team. These are the kind of signings we need to make to ensure we have a quality squad from head to toe. Obviously the right wing is a priority but we need quality across the board.
It depends what fans want.

If we want to compete top 4 next season then yes Sancho is the priority.

If fans stop with the lame excuses "Liverpool are 30 points ahead, we cant make up those points" and realise that if we want to compete in the PL and CL, players like Grealish will be required.

Pogba / Bruno / Rashford cannot play Wednesday / Sat every week.

With Grealish, you have the possibility of resting 1 of them every other game, giving Grealish starts and keeping the players fresh.
The beauty of having a player who can play LW/ CAM is that they will get alot of games.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
Hopefully we won't screw around like with Dybala or Eriksen and just make the move if we're really interested. If not let's just try sign someone with even better range of abilities and attitude as some clubs will be forced to sell their best.

jamesjimmybyrondean

It depends what fans want.

If we want to compete top 4 next season then yes Sancho is the priority.

If fans stop with the lame excuses "Liverpool are 30 points ahead, we cant make up those points" and realise that if we want to compete in the PL and CL, players like Grealish will be required.

Pogba / Bruno / Rashford cannot play Wednesday / Sat every week.

With Grealish, you have the possibility of resting 1 of them every other game, giving Grealish starts and keeping the players fresh.
The beauty of having a player who can play LW/ CAM is that they will get alot of games.
Is there any player with Grealish quality on the Liverpool bench?

romufc

Is there any player with Grealish quality on the Liverpool bench?
That is why Liverpool are out of CL, FA cup and EL.

If you ask any Liverpool fan, they would love to have someone of his quality on the bench. Can you guarantee that Pogba, Bruno, Rashford, Martial wont be injured?

RUCK4444

Reckon our interest has been real, but he's also a good player to boost our position in other negotiations. Can play a number of positions, good quality, and gettable.
Yeah agree with this, not a bad thing to keep ourselves linked with him.

He's also a good player and one that I think would be a good signing for us in the long term if we did end up going for him.

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

He plays attacking midfield and left wing, Pogba, Bruno & Rashford are all better than him. Why would he be a starter?

Of course he’d start some games, but not a regular. That’s what I mean.

Don’t be so facetious buddy.

Striker10

"Ronaldo and trophies > Manchester United football
It's a squad game. Coming to United, he could step up even further but there are players in Liverpools squad whom people turned their noses up to. We cannot afford to be snobs. It is not impossible for anyone, to come in and play so well that they stay in the team. Likewise as a bench option he could produce a moment of quality and sometimes that's what you need. In the squad he could challenge Lingard. He could help push Pereira/Mata. You would bring him because he's the right profile and potentially he could be a very good signing

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
It's a squad game. Coming to United, he could step up even further but there are players in Liverpools squad whom people turned their noses up to. We cannot afford to be snobs. It is not impossible for anyone, to come in and play so well that they stay in the team. Likewise as a bench option he could produce a moment of quality and sometimes that's what you need. In the squad he could challenge Lingard. He could help push Pereira/Mata. You would bring him because he's the right profile and potentially he could be a very good signing
I can only think of Mane and Firmino,and then people felt they'd be stepping up too soon.

On the second point; he could potentially be totally out of his depth too. Each passing day when I think of Grealish, I just think he's a big fish at Villa. The money they'd want for him too...

jamesjimmybyrondean

That is why Liverpool are out of CL, FA cup and EL.

If you ask any Liverpool fan, they would love to have someone of his quality on the bench. Can you guarantee that Pogba, Bruno, Rashford, Martial wont be injured?
Agreed it will be nice to finally have a player of Grealish quality on the bench

Agreed it will be nice to finally have a player of Grealish quality on the bench
you don’t spend that kind of money on a player with the intention from the start for them to be a squad player.

Liverpool would have bought The Ox and Keita with the intention of them being first team players. If other players step up due to the challenge, then great, you have improved the team.

but you don’t spend £60m on a player to sit on the bench and play in the league cup.

iHicksy

He plays attacking midfield and left wing, Pogba, Bruno & Rashford are all better than him. Why would he be a starter?

Of course he’d start some games, but not a regular. That’s what I mean.

Don’t be so facetious buddy.
I'm not being facetious buddy. You've completely changed what you said. You made no mention of Pogba, Bruno or Rashford originally.

You said he's a big upgrade on Lingard and Perriera but that we don't need him as he's not good enough. Where do they both play? Attacking midfield and centre mid. For your information Grealish "left wing" isn't his natural position. He started the season as a centre midfielder dictating play from deep. He was then moved into an attacking midfield role purely because of injuries to their strike force. Because he's so versatile and their best player he was moved further forward to fill the void where he also excelled. He's started numerous times he prefers playing as a midfielder centrally.

jamesjimmybyrondean

you don’t spend that kind of money on a player with the intention from the start for them to be a squad player.

Liverpool would have bought The Ox and Keita with the intention of them being first team players. If other players step up due to the challenge, then great, you have improved the team.

but you don’t spend £60m on a player to sit on the bench and play in the league cup.
If Grealish is 60m I wouldn't go near him. I'm going with the scenario we can get him for cheap if Villa gets relegated. We should be after a DM anyways if Pogba is staying

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

I'm not being facetious buddy. You've completely changed what you said. You made no mention of Pogba, Bruno or Rashford originally.

You said he's a big upgrade on Lingard and Perriera but that we don't need him as he's not good enough. Where do they both play? Attacking midfield and centre mid. For your information Grealish "left wing" isn't his natural position. He started the season as a centre midfielder dictating play from deep. He was then moved into an attacking midfield role purely because of injuries to their strike force. Because he's so versatile and their best player he was moved further forward to fill the void where he also excelled. He's started numerous times he prefers playing as a midfielder centrally.
I didn’t say I didn’t want him. I said i didn’t want him starting. I’d love him as a squad player.

romufc

How do we know he will be £60m?

Does first team have to be first 11? when was the last time we played the same 11 for 10 games in a row?

Next season will start later and finish early because of Euros. which means more games in short time frame. We will need a bigger squad.

He would get alot of PL games I can tell you that.

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
Grealish is better than them. Not talking about price
So he’s better than them, just means it’s a better buy for us.

The price is entirely relevant. Liverpool spent huge money on players who fill out the squad. Keita not being as good as they thought doesn’t change that they thought they were getting a good player for lots of money. The exact same as we would be doing with Grealish. Keita came in with a bigger pedigree than Grealish even.

Infra-red

If Pogba stays AND we sign Sancho (or another creative player for the RW), then the need for Grealish this summer, diminishes.

We want to make sure that we don't ever again find ourselves in the position where the creative burden for the entire side, rests on a single player. Currently, we're one injury to Pogba/Bruno away from being in exactly that position, so it is essential that we finish the summer with at least three players capable of creating in the final third of the pitch.

If Pogba is sold or if the Sancho deal proves to be impossible, Grealish would be a good option for us and indeed might be something a bargain.

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
Reminder that Jack Grealish went out to get drunk and party after posting a message on Twitter urging everyone to remain in quarantine. In the early morning he, drunk off his arse, got into his car and made it only a short way, crashing into several cars on his way. Jack Grealish was drunk driving after partying during a pandemic quarantine.

Infra-red

Reminder that Jack Grealish went out to get drunk and party after posting a message on Twitter urging everyone to remain in quarantine. In the early morning he, drunk off his arse, got into his car and made it only a short way, crashing into several cars on his way. Jack Grealish was drunk driving after partying during a pandemic quarantine.
He can join the distinguished ranks of pisscans we've had play for us over the years.

Status
Not open for further replies.