Jack Grealish / signs new 5 year contract

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drainy

Reminder that Jack Grealish went out to get drunk and party after posting a message on Twitter urging everyone to remain in quarantine. In the early morning he, drunk off his arse, got into his car and made it only a short way, crashing into several cars on his way. Jack Grealish was drunk driving after partying during a pandemic quarantine.
But is he good at football?

jamesjimmybyrondean

So he’s better than them, just means it’s a better buy for us.

The price is entirely relevant. Liverpool spent huge money on players who fill out the squad. Keita not being as good as they thought doesn’t change that they thought they were getting a good player for lots of money. The exact same as we would be doing with Grealish. Keita came in with a bigger pedigree than Grealish even.
I'd put my money on Grealish to be the better player who has done it in the PL than Keita who has done it in Austria. Liverpool might have gone for this current Grealish if he was around instead of Keita. If Grealish comes cheap then we should be after him. If Pogba was staying I'd rather we spend money on a DM instead

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
I'd put my money on Grealish to be the better player who has done it in the PL than Keita who has done it in Austria. Liverpool might have gone for this current Grealish if he was around instead of Keita. If Grealish comes cheap then we should be after him. If Pogba was staying I'd rather we spend money on a DM instead
Keïta did it in Germany. He’s made Bundesliga team of the season, along with Europe League team of the season and African team of the year. What he did in Germany is better than what Grealish has, it’s not even really debatable.

Liverpool might have gone for him, who knows. Either way they’d be having an extra quality player in their team. Exactly what we should be doing.

You asked if they have that quality of player on their bench. And the answer is yes, they have a £50m+ Bundesliga and African team of the year midfielder on their bench.

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
Reminder that Jack Grealish went out to get drunk and party after posting a message on Twitter urging everyone to remain in quarantine. In the early morning he, drunk off his arse, got into his car and made it only a short way, crashing into several cars on his way. Jack Grealish was drunk driving after partying during a pandemic quarantine.
But that’s not important at a club like United. We don’t need standards of character!

Still annoys me and still is the reason I think he’d continued to do stupid stuff with us and be disruptive.

dal

Hopefully we won't screw around like with Dybala or Eriksen and just make the move if we're really interested. If not let's just try sign someone with even better range of abilities and attitude as some clubs will be forced to sell their best.
If you followed that closely, I’m not saying this is bible, the noises from the press were they weren’t too interested. We wanted motivated players. Maybe 3 years ago we would have brought them in regardless.

It wasn’t screwing around it was sound transfer strategy and we ended up getting Bruno. We were patient and solskjaer seems like he’s planning for the long term and when you do that you get short term gains also, they just take a little longer.

Maajid

Formerly Mad
"I am a footballer but I'm still human."

He's either ridiculously stupid or a piece of shit :lol:

crossy1686

career ending
"I am a footballer but I'm still human."

He's either ridiculously stupid or a piece of shit :lol:
He didn't say much wrong? Don't know why there's a need to jump down his throat every time he does an interview. This pretty much sounded like every interview David Beckham did while at United.

jesperjaap

That is why Liverpool are out of CL, FA cup and EL.

If you ask any Liverpool fan, they would love to have someone of his quality on the bench. Can you guarantee that Pogba, Bruno, Rashford, Martial wont be injured?
Personally I am shocked they are not in for him, I think he would be the perfect signing for them and would be straight into there starting line up. He fits more what Liverpool need than we do

jesperjaap

Not that I condone this at all, obviously and not for the first time, was a jerk. But there are a lot of United greats could name have been in the press for all the wrong reasons over the years.

Dante

Average bang
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-52587368
Coronavirus: Young men 'more likely to ignore lockdown'

By Laura Foster Science Reporter

9 May 2020

Young men are more likely than young women to break lockdown rules, psychologists suggest.

A team from the University of Sheffield and Ulster University questioned just under 2,000 13-24 year olds.

Half of the men aged 19-24 had met friends or family members they did not live with during lockdown, compared to 25% of women.
Half of all men in his age group have broken lockdown. I don't think it's worth crucifying him over.

jesperjaap

He plays attacking midfield and left wing, Pogba, Bruno & Rashford are all better than him. Why would he be a starter?

Of course he’d start some games, but not a regular. That’s what I mean.

Don’t be so facetious buddy.
I really like Grealish and want us to sign him......but its a lot of money for a player mainly playing positions we have well covered as you state and then we are also looking at the likes of Bellingham and have Mjebri to come through not least the fact that with a limited budget, all our money may go on Sancho, so are several reasons not to sign him.

However, he instantly replaces Mata, Lingard and Perreira who we should be looking to move on and provides cover for pretty much every front six position bar striker for us. Also, despite his off field misdemeanours he is a leader and captain so offers somethign in the dressing room too.

We dont actually know just how good he is yet as he hasnt been in England sides or played for a big club surrounded by better players than at Villa with no disrepect to them. But I have followed him since he broke through at Villa as we were heavily linked with him then. I remember people lambasting SPurs trying to buy him which surprised me, always would have taken him here and I actually think he could be a huge player for us.

He has stacks of ability and drive and would certainly be a starter for me in our current squad and even with a coupeo of additions touted, I think he would surprise a few people with how good he actually is and would be starting regularly. I know he has played on the left for Villa this season so hard to compare, but would you rather have Pogba of the last three years or Grealish of this year purely in terms of performance and consistency? I am not talking ability as Pogba obviousoly has tonnes of ability.

RedCurry

Breaking lockdown rules is surely stupid and maybe even careless. No disputes there. But is that really an issue big enough to not want a player?

Le Red

Not that I condone this at all, obviously and not for the first time, was a jerk. But there are a lot of United greats could name have been in the press for all the wrong reasons over the years.
I would love to see the same people trying to explain why George Best could play for us but not Jack Grealish.

Feed Me

I'm hungry
A lot of this is actually unproven.

Bondi77

I would love to see the same people trying to explain why George Best could play for us but not Jack Grealish.
What did Best do wrong when he was at Utd?
I know he liked a drink and shagging good sorts but I don’t recall him driving while pissed and crashing into parked vehicles.

Last edited:

Bondi77

Manchester United have prioritised the signing of Aston Villacaptain Jack Grealish, 24, this summer - but could change their plans if Bayer Leverkusen's Kai Havertz becomes available. (Manchester Evening News)

Geez, this is classic MEN :boring:

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
Manchester United have prioritised the signing of Aston Villacaptain Jack Grealish, 24, this summer - but could change their plans if Bayer Leverkusen's Kai Havertz becomes available. (Manchester Evening News)

Geez, this is classic MEN :boring:
May as well have the headline:

Manchester United want to sign footballer but may sign a different footballer reports suggest.

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
Yes, it is. Explain why not.
First of all the study is tiny of the 2000 people surveyed from the country not all of them fit into the age category of 19-24 and then even less of those will be males in the age of 19-24 so you’re potentially looking at an actual sample size of maybe 100?

Your post said “half of all men his age group” this is completely untrue. Half of men surveyed in a tiny sample sized group from one region have claimed to have broken it.

It is mathematically stupid to extrapolate to an entire nation from this kind of survey (which I have read btw) and so I stand by my comment that the statement as you posted it shows a lack of understanding of the aims of the study and what the statistics actually represent.

Last edited:

Dante

Average bang
First of all the study is tiny of the 2000 people surveyed from one region of the country not all of them fit into the age category of 19-24 and then even less of those will be males in the age of 19-24 so you’re potentially looking at an actual sample size of maybe 100?

Your post said “half of all men his age group” this is completely untrue. Half of men surveyed in a tiny sample sized group from one region have claimed to have broken it.

It is mathematically stupid to extrapolate to an entire nation from this kind of survey (which I have read btw) and so I stand by my comment that the statement as you posted it shows a lack of understanding of the aims of the study and what the statistics actually represent.
:lol:

Your dislike of Jack Grealish doesn't qualify you as an expert in statistics.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
:lol:

Your dislike of Jack Grealish doesn't qualify you as an expert in statistics.
And your like of him doesn’t disqualify his pretty correct analysis, tbf.

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
He didn't say much wrong? Don't know why there's a need to jump down his throat every time he does an interview. This pretty much sounded like every interview David Beckham did while at United.
I’d actually agree here. I don’t think he’s said anything wrong in the interview.

He can’t ignore the topic.

I do think he’s messed up big time and I don’t want him at the club.

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
Your post suggests otherwise.

2000 isn't a tiny sample. And the respondents are UK representative, not not from one region.
2000 is not the number of 19-24 year old males surveyed. It will be closer to 100 males as the sample is stratified.

100 males in that age bracket is not statistically significant. Even if you assume a very gracious confidence interval it is not something you can use to claim half of uk males his age have broken the rules.

If you were to say for example “the survey suggests a potential correlation between gender, age and obedience to lockdown regulations which may explain why a healthy young male such as Jack Grealish felt more entitled/empowered to break the rules” I’d agree with you.

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
It's not my analysis you need to worry about. It's the analysis of the Doctors and Professors who did the study.
I wouldn’t call what you wrote analysis the correct term is “misinterpretation”.

I realise I’m probably coming off as smarmy here so apologies but there is no way you can mathematically/statistically present your comment as being a correct analysis of that study.

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
@Dante The highlighted it the correct analysis of the findings. If you were arguing as I said that because Grealish is in that category he would potentially feel less inclined to follow guidelines I would agree with you.

Dante

Average bang
I wouldn’t call what you wrote analysis the correct term is “misinterpretation”.

I realise I’m probably coming off as smarmy here so apologies but there is no way you can mathematically/statistically present your comment as being a correct analysis of that study.
You only need to look at the CIs presented in the graphs of the study to see that the sample size is not insignificant. The authors missed a trick not including all the numbers, but that happens sometimes in academic studies.

And even if we take your guesstimate of 100 respondents at face value, the CI for a 95% is about 10. So even if we accept that only 40% of UK males 19-24 have broken lockdown, it's still not worth vilifying Grealish over.

When you look at the fact that Manchester Police broke up 1000 parties over Easter weekend you'll see it's hardly isolated behaviour.

Dante

Average bang
@Dante The highlighted it the correct analysis of the findings. If you were arguing as I said that because Grealish is in that category he would potentially feel less inclined to follow guidelines I would agree with you.

Where have you got the idea that the respondents are talking about feelings?

They're reporting actual behaviour.

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
You only need to look at the CIs presented in the graphs of the study to see that the sample size is not insignificant. The authors missed a trick not including all the numbers, but that happens sometimes in academic studies.

And even if we take your guesstimate of 100 respondents at face value, the CI for a 95% is about 10. So even if we accept that only 40% of UK males 19-24 have broken lockdown, it's still not worth vilifying Grealish over.

When you look at the fact that Manchester Police broke up 1000 parties over Easter weekend you'll see it's hardly isolated behaviour.
The only correct interpretation of that study is the one the study itself presented which is what I highlighted.

They did not include CIs for the graphs you showed and nor did they give the specific breakdown so I repeat there is absolutely no mathematical/statistical basis for you making the statement that half of males his age have broken lockdown.

That is not what the study concludes the only conclusions were those I highlighted for you. To disagree with my point is to then disagree with the very study.

You are extrapolating too much to a point where the study itself was clearly not comfortable suggesting what you are. I would take the work and findings of those experts over the opinion of yourself.

Like I said I’d happily agree that the study shows a potential for correlation between age, gender and compliance but that’s as far as any agreement can go without further study and a greater sample of exclusively 19-24 year old males.

100 people is not enough to extrapolate I suspect is why they haven’t used CIs in any in depth analysis of that age group and gender.

You are also not using the maths correctly or are deliberately ignoring what is accepted as best practice in this field.

I trust the study but your conclusion is not correct.

Dante

Average bang
The only correct interpretation of that study is the one the study itself presented which is what I highlighted.

They did not include CIs for the graphs you showed and nor did they give the specific breakdown so I repeat there is absolutely no mathematical/statistical basis for you making the statement that half of males his age have broken lockdown.

That is not what the study concludes the only conclusions were those I highlighted for you. To disagree with my point is to then disagree with the very study.

You are extrapolating too much to a point where the study itself was clearly not comfortable suggesting what you are. I would take the work and findings of those experts over the opinion of yourself.

Like I said I’d happily agree that the study shows a potential for correlation between age, gender and compliance but that’s as far as any agreement can go without further study and a greater sample of exclusively 19-24 year old males.

100 people is not enough to extrapolate I suspect is why they haven’t used CIs in any in depth analysis of that age group and gender.

You are also not using the maths correctly or are deliberately ignoring what is accepted as best practice in this field.

I trust the study but your conclusion is not correct.
It's not my conclusion. It's the authors' conclusion.

Status
Not open for further replies.