Jack Grealish / signs new 5 year contract

Status
Not open for further replies.

Le Red

I see his talent but why the clamour for him? Has he been that good for Villa? Genuine question. Seems a bit of a David Bentley to me..
He does remind of Bentley, but he's more mobile and can dribble past defenders better.
Of course, now we think of Bentley as a flop, but he was a very good and promising player. We can't assume that every player will go down the same road.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
If there was anything to do this, we'd have heard some rumblings by now as Villa would be chasing names, too.

You don't lose your star player at the end of a transfer window without having done all the business to replace him and/or buy in talent for other positions with the money you're going to get - that is, unless you've already accepted relegation and see no use in spending, which would be stupid as Villa have everything to fight and play for in their current position.

Unless there are some concrete links, sharpish, there's no chance this is happening in January.

RedNed77

Fred, Scott, Bruno and Grealish as a midfield? Speak about average.

Yeah everyone’s going to say Liverpool have average midfielders. They have a way better defence with two fullbacks who get more assists than our attackers or midfielders combined. They have 3 world class players in attack.

Rashford and Martial are still inconsistent and Grealish isn’t exactly mr consistent. Scott and Fred are decent at best, but for me we can do better then them. We need someone who can pass the ball forward and control the game like a Carrick basically.
So who would you like to see as our midfield. Some actual names please, if you have any.

Tarrou

Is it true he's a United fan?

If so hopefully Villa get relegated and we can pick him up on the cheap in the summer

Haddock

He does remind of Bentley, but he's more mobile and can dribble past defenders better.
Of course, now we think of Bentley as a flop, but he was a very good and promising player. We can't assume that every player will go down the same road.
There is no resemblance apart from hair gel. He doesn't play in the same position and his attitude is the opposite of Bentley. This is a kid who has cleaned up his act, played in the third division, then worked his way up from the championship and captains his team at the age of 24. He's a proper proper number 8 with an amazing technique but importantly - brass balls. He screams Man united player to me. Fergie would have been around to his mum's place with a pen in hand.
Is it true he's a United fan?

If so hopefully Villa get relegated and we can pick him up on the cheap in the summer
No he's Villa through and through.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
There is no resemblance apart from hair gel. He doesn't play in the same position and his attitude is the opposite of Bentley. This is a kid who has cleaned up his act, played in the third division, then worked his way up from the championship and captains his team at the age of 24. He's a proper proper number 8 with an amazing technique but importantly - brass balls. He screams Man united player to me. Fergie would have been around to his mum's place with a pen in hand.

No he's Villa through and through.
He does seem to like United, regularly says that Old Trafford is his favorite stadium, likes insta posts about united etc. think he’s got a soft spot for us

Godfather

Holy shit the guy is overrated on here. Decent player but reading through the comments you'd think he is the next coming.

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
He's a sensational player carrying Villa and he'd walk into the midfield of all the top clubs (including Man City). England and Man United are crying out for a player like him who can hold the ball or dribble in tight spaces. Yet an oaf like Southgate can't see it.

You can tell the ones on the forum who watch no football outside the usual big 6 clubs because they would have been the same clueless buggers who didn't rate Modric in 2009.
Yeah, what fecking losers man, not spending their free time watching the 3rd worst team in the PL

iHicksy

Yeah, what fecking losers man, not spending their free time watching the 3rd worst team in the PL
Weird take. He's not calling people losers. He's just saying that the people slating him likely don't actually watch him play.

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
Weird take. He's not calling people losers. He's just saying that the people slating him likely don't actually watch him play.
Clueless buggers seems a pretty strong phrase for people who make loose judgments based on limited evidence, when that limited evidence is about as much you'd expect a normal footy fan to have, and has been as much evidence as footy fans have ever needed to discuss around the pub as a bit of friendly chat. That's what the majority of people are doing on here. By all means celebrate your superfandom but if you need to tell the average footy fan how clueless they are in the process, and chastise them for doing something that's deeply embedded in footy culture, something's probably gone wrong.

Yagami

Good post resistant
He's a sensational player carrying Villa and he'd walk into the midfield of all the top clubs (including Man City). England and Man United are crying out for a player like him who can hold the ball or dribble in tight spaces. Yet an oaf like Southgate can't see it.

You can tell the ones on the forum who watch no football outside the usual big 6 clubs because they would have been the same clueless buggers who didn't rate Modric in 2009.
I agree. Well, not with calling Southgate an "oaf" and those who aren't as keen on him as us "clueless buggers", but the general rating of him. Even including the bit about getting in City's midfield. He'd be a like for like replacement of D.Silva. The similarities in their play is uncanny.

jackal&hyde

Have there actually been any solid links for a potential transfer? I see mostly wishful thinking in the thread.
If there was anything to do this, we'd have heard some rumblings by now as Villa would be chasing names, too.

You don't lose your star player at the end of a transfer window without having done all the business to replace him and/or buy in talent for other positions with the money you're going to get - that is, unless you've already accepted relegation and see no use in spending, which would be stupid as Villa have everything to fight and play for in their current position.

Unless there are some concrete links, sharpish, there's no chance this is happening in January.
Have there ever been any solid links between us and Grealish. I seem to remember only vague speculation.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
Have there actually been any solid links for a potential transfer? I see mostly wishful thinking in the thread.

Have there ever been any solid links between us and Grealish. I seem to remember only vague speculation.
No idea. Just, with all these pages, I thought there had been something fuelling it other than hope and banter.

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020

Nah fam.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser

Walk into Citys midfield and replace who?

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
I think right now he could do a simlar job to Gundogan and Silva, or be used on the LW alongside Mahrez who keeps more of the width on the right.

I think Grealish has the potential to get even better though which is the point, he's a player on the up.

He's really really important to Villa, without him they'd be a lot worse.

Cassidy

I think right now he could do a simlar job to Gundogan and Silva, or be used on the LW alongside Mahrez who keeps more of the width on the right.

I think Grealish has the potential to get even better though which is the point, he's a player on the up.

So basically he doesn't walk into the midfield

I think hes brilliant, but the comment was ridiculous. No need to over hype him, he is already good

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid

I think hes brilliant, but the comment was ridiculous. No need to over hype him, he is already good
I think saying he'd walk in is a bit much, but would he look out of place? no I don't think so.

Grealish has been linked to City also, apparently Pep has been impressed.

Raven

I remember this quite well, this does remind me of that quite well, now that you mention it.

Haddock

Never implied that. But actually bothering to watch a hyped player from a mediocre team has its merits. For one thing you won't end up even contemplating typing gems like this: "Palacios > Modric?" which can be found here: https://www.redcafe.net/threads/luka-modric.235343/ (thread's a goldmine btw)

I think he would get in ahead of the now 34 year old David Silva.

Indulge me here. I'm not saying he'd do an immeasurably better job than Wijnaldum or David Silva. I'm just saying the guy can hang.
There's a curious snobbery here where British players simply can't be as good as their continental counterparts.

I am just saying he's bloody good. He's strong, doesn't get knocked off the ball, fairly quick, can pass, can dribble, can shoot, attracts defenders like a magnet. He doesn't drift too much in games either (unlike Maddison who I also rate and Lingard who I don't) and has actual end product unlike our midfield. I am not saying he's going to score 20 a season or win the Balon d'or or become the next Laudrup. Merely saying he has the qualities that English midfielders of the last 15 years have lacked. But what impresses me the most is his maturity.

This is a guy who went to Notts County and helped them stay in league one. He played in the Championship and he has made that big step up at every stage. The player of 2020 is totally different to the one who flopped in the fa cup final in 2015. Everyone is welcome to watch Brighton v Villa this weekend where I am sure Grealish's qualities will be apparent. Then again I'm sure no one wants to waste their life watching the seventh and third worst teams in the league.

Cassidy

Never implied that. But actually bothering to watch a hyped player from a mediocre team has its merits. For one thing you won't end up even contemplating typing gems like this: "Palacios > Modric?" which can be found here: https://www.redcafe.net/threads/luka-modric.235343/ (thread's a goldmine btw)

I think he would get in ahead of the now 34 year old David Silva.

Indulge me here. I'm not saying he'd do an immeasurably better job than Wijnaldum or David Silva. I'm just saying the guy can hang.
There's a curious snobbery here where British players simply can't be as good as their continental counterparts.

I am just saying he's bloody good. He's strong, doesn't get knocked off the ball, fairly quick, can pass, can dribble, can shoot, attracts defenders like a magnet. He doesn't drift too much in games either (unlike Maddison who I also rate and Lingard who I don't) and has actual end product unlike our midfield. I am not saying he's going to score 20 a season or win the Balon d'or or become the next Laudrup. Merely saying he has the qualities that English midfielders of the last 15 years have lacked. But what impresses me the most is his maturity.

The player of 2020 is totally different to the one who flopped in the fa cup final in 2015. Everyone is welcome to watch Brighton v Villa this weekend where I am sure Grealish's qualities will be apparent. Then again I'm sure no one wants to waste their life watching the seventh and third worst teams in the league.
Thats no walking into the midfield which is what I questioned

RedCurry

I get a weird feeling that we will pull out of Bruno deal due to Sporting being too difficult to deal with and to save face we will go all out for Grealish.

romufc

I get a weird feeling that we will pull out of Bruno deal due to Sporting being too difficult to deal with and to save face we will go all out for Grealish.
I am glad it's not only me. It seems to be dragging to a point where they are trying to find an excuse when it goes tits up.

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
Personally I would be happier going for Grealish, he's exactly the type of player we need in the middle and perfect foil for the likes of McT and Fred.
Bruno looks to me more a number 10 than a CM, whereas Grealish can fill both roles. Equally adept at dropping deep as he is going forward.

Bratt

Honestly, I’d be very happy with that.

Ekeke

Half the time Gundogan is used as the deepest CM. Its usually Rodrigo or him, not both. So I cannot see Grealish playing the most defensive role in midfield. That doesnt sound realistic at all.

Its the Silvas and KDB he'd be competing with, or Sterling and Mahrez. The one player Grealish could replace there would be David Silva who is getting old

As for being linked with City, so were Neves and Fred neither of which would improve them. I'd liken it to Neves most. Pep talked about him when there was a Wolves match, said he thinks hes brilliant and would love to have him but City arent going to pay £100 million like he heard Wolves want. Its the same thing with Grealish, he said he's fantastic but too expensive. Sometimes Guardiola makes these comments and it sounds like he's decided they arent going for these players so he's going to say they're too expensive... And then pay 70 million euros for Rodri or Cancelo which is obviously expensive, but for players he hasnt been naming and saying they're too expensive

DarkRed

The thing is City can play that way as Pep is an incredible coach who has been coaching his teams that way for a long time, even Liverpool who are currently the best team in Europe don't try to play that wide open in midfield as it's very reliant on the press and possession.
Pep is overrated, I mean what did he ever win that was more then any other coach could do?
Barca with Messi and Inesta and many more? German league with Bayern? City after spending crazy money (200 mil on defense if I remember and that before Laporte)?
He is no Klopp or even Simeone who you can say no doubt improved their players...

Le Red

I still think he's similar to Bentley in the way he handles the ball, passes and shoots. But I agree he's different in the way you put it. He's got everything it takes and whoever signs him will be very, very happy with the decision.

Mylock

Both Maddison and Grealish are look 4he real deal. I watched both play last week and was very impressed.
Maddison seems to play like a young Scholes, his defence splitting passes would be perfect for our forward line.
Grealish style of play is different but equally as impressive, he play all over of the place, but would be a great no 10. Ideally we would sign both, but it's hard to see it happening.

NoPace

And what do you think of 40M + Lingard on loan for the rest of the season with a option of buy?
I think they get relegated and they can surely get close to that for Grealish in the summer, so why not try to finish 17th and sell Grealish in the summer when at least McGinn is back to help out in midfield and you have time to find a proper replacement.

Dalot on loan for the next few months (or a similar FB who can play both sides) would be interesting there, as their backup fullbacks are Neil Taylor and Al-Muhammady and it isn't 2014 anymore and both have Whoscored ratings bordering on the illegal.

theklr

Duncan castles reported that we tried to get Graelish this window but it was unsuccessful apparently.

theklr

It's promising in a way that we're in theory going after the right players, even if its unsuccessful.
Well, with the amount of times Maddison and Graelish has been mentioned as targets it would be very natural of us to do so. Lets just hope Fernandes isnt a dorect replacement.

We’ve for sure done the same with Sancho.

But yeah, looks like we’ve got our shit together to some agree.

Le Red

Holy shit the guy is overrated on here. Decent player but reading through the comments you'd think he is the next coming.
He's way more than "decent" though and that is pretty obvious to anyone who understands a little about football.
We could discuss how much above the curve he actually is and what is his ceiling, but if "decent" is all you have to say, you are the one who's underrating him, a lot.

Status
Not open for further replies.