Jack Grealish / signs new 5 year contract

Status
Not open for further replies.
That would be a fantastic transfer window.

In:
Sancho
Grealish
CB

Out:
Lingard
Jones
Smalling
Rojo
Pereira
Sanchez

We would save a ton on wages, and should recoup a bit from the outgoing transfers.
I would keep Pereira and get rid of Mata - he earns over £100k that’s too much to be sitting on the bench.

Adamsk7

Just can't see Jones leaving as he is out injured until September and expect James to not go out on loan. However the others leaving is very much a strong possibility.
I long for the day where I don’t see Phil Jones on our books! It would almost be as exciting as signing Sancho!

croadyman

I would say it would have to be Lingard then as Andreas is only one year into his contract that Ole rubber stamped.
My gut feeling is Lingard, Rojo, Smalling & Sanchez out. Whether that would be enough to get what we need remains to be seen

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
My gut feeling is Lingard, Rojo, Smalling & Sanchez out. Whether that would be enough to get what we need remains to be seen
Easily. That's wiping out £500-600k from wage bill. It's enough for 3 players.

Suv666

I dont think there is a pressing need for him. Also I doubt he'd be content with sitting on the bench. We should be looking to fix our first 11 before thinking about squad depth. A CB and a CDM should have higher priority imo.

romufc

I dont think there is a pressing need for him. Also I doubt he'd be content with sitting on the bench. We should be looking to fix our first 11 before thinking about squad depth. A CB and a CDM should have higher priority imo.
I disagree, there is a need for him. He can fill 2/3 different positions. One injury to Bruno or Pogba and we are bringing back Lingard / Perreira / Mata and we are 2 steps back.

He wont be sitting on the bench though, we play 2 times a week in most cases so he will get game time. Have a look at how many games Lingard, Perreira have got this season. Stay at Villa and maybe the championship or play at United during a Euros year.

croadyman

I disagree, there is a need for him. He can fill 2/3 different positions. One injury to Bruno or Pogba and we are bringing back Lingard / Perreira / Mata and we are 2 steps back.

He wont be sitting on the bench though, we play 2 times a week in most cases so he will get game time. Have a look at how many games Lingard, Perreira have got this season. Stay at Villa and maybe the championship or play at United during a Euros year.
Confident the noise around this picks up again at the end of the season. We are rightfully prioritising Sancho and a CB first.

Sanche7

That would be a fantastic transfer window.

In:
Sancho
Grealish
CB

Out:
Lingard
Jones
Smalling
Rojo
Pereira
Sanchez

We would save a ton on wages, and should recoup a bit from the outgoing transfers.
Yup, that would be a great window and should see us competing for the league next year. I would also like to see us recall Henderson from his loan and slowly ease him into the squad, just to see how he's doing. If we buy Sancho, CB & Grealish, then IMO LB, DM and maybe a striker (if Martial continues to blow hot and cold) will be the only positions that would need an upgrade but it's not required urgently.

romufc

Confident the noise around this picks up again at the end of the season. We are rightfully prioritising Sancho and a CB first.
I agree with Sancho and CB. However; I do not see us spending over £40m for a CB.

croadyman

Yup, that would be a great window and should see us competing for the league next year. I would also like to see us recall Henderson from his loan and slowly ease him into the squad, just to see how he's doing. If we buy Sancho, CB & Grealish, then IMO LB, DM and maybe a striker (if Martial continues to blow hot and cold) will be the only positions that would need an upgrade but it's not required urgently.
I agree with Sancho and CB. However; I do not see us spending over £40m for a CB.
Did you mean couldn't see us spending over £40m for Grealish

romufc

Did you mean couldn't see us spending over £40m for Grealish
I think both. Grealish over £40m is a no go.

If we are spending £80/90m on Sancho, I cannot see another high value CB coming as well.

croadyman

I think both. Grealish over £40m is a no go.

If we are spending £80/90m on Sancho, I cannot see another high value CB coming as well.
Think anything other than Sancho is very much dependent on player sales

Mart1974

harbours delusions of insignificance
Will see to night if Ole tries tapping him up on the pitch...

lenny_1248

Just can't see Jones leaving as he is out injured until September and expect James to not go out on loan. However the others leaving is very much a strong possibility.
It is Axel who is injured until September.
Jones is training, though not match ready. And I doubt he will play anyway.

SAFMUTD

For the 50M he's been quoted I would rather go for Fekir whos having a good season in La liga, we could take him for 35-40M.

SAFMUTD

just for reference 2019/2020 EPL Stats:

Grealish
Games played: 30
Goals: 7
Assists: 6
Shots per 90: 1.9
Key passes per 90: 2.7
Dribbles per 90: 2.1

Bruno
Games played: 9
Goals: 6
Assists: 5
Shots per 90: 3.8
Key passes per 90: 2.3
Dribbles per 90: 1.3

I know Brunos numbers are excellent at the moment and he would be player of the year if he maitain them while Grealish plays in a low table team with average/poor players, but the numbers show a big gap between the two of them.

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout

Grealish

Bruno

I know Brunos numbers are excellent at the moment and he would be player of the year if he maitain them while Grealish plays in a low table team with average/poor players, but the numbers show a big gap between the two of them.
Also worth noting the reason behind Grealish’s high key passes and dribbles is because Villa are set up to put everything through him.

Infra-red

I can definitely see the argument for replacing all three of Lingard, Mata, Pereira, with a single versatile player, a creative, Bernando Silva type, who play wide or central.

Grealish could be that player.

El Jefe

This is how I see it too. He also holds onto the ball for ages taking unnecessary touches before making the very obvious square pass. You can see he's a talented player but his game doesn't impress me. He has the freedom of the pitch to do what he wants and he really doesn't do all that much with it other than a few dribbles.

We have no need for him IMO.
This is what I posted about him a couple of weeks ago and it couldn't be more true of his performance today.

BlahRules

I can definitely see the argument for replacing all three of Lingard, Mata, Pereira, with a single versatile player, a creative, Bernando Silva type, who play wide or central.

Grealish could be that player.
Agreed. We need a player like him that can hold the ball, dribble past players and his ball retention is amazing.

forevrared

Definitely think he’s got enough to play for United, even if he wasn’t great today. The problem is it seems like we were chasing him under the assumption Pogba was off. Not sure if he still fits in the team if Pogba re-signs and Sancho joins.

Dearg hÉireann

He played very poor tonight, he's a good player but there's not a chance he gets into that United team if Pogba stays. For the money required to buy him I just don't see it happening as we already have a 50 million signing on the bench in Fred.

pacifictheme

Grealish

Bruno

Another stat you left out is how many chances he has created, despite being in an awful team. I believe only de bruyne is ahead of him.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
I'd still go for him, he hasn't been great post lockdown but he's still better than Andreas or Lingard

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
He obviously had a bit of a shocker today, and I don't think he's been all that good since the football restart. I'm still quite hopeful we'll sign him, even though I recognise that there are a couple of other positions that might be higher priority if we can find the right person.

HJ12

As others have stated, ball retention with him is a big plus. Outside of our 3 starting CM's, the rest aren't very good at keeping the ball. However, for the fees being quoted, the must surely be a cheaper alternative that's good at possession.

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
Looked toothless today just held onto the ball as long as he could without affecting the game.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
Moved a lot with a ball and good positioning without it. Villa going down, so his price definitely needs to be lowered because 50-70m could get us someone closer to world class.

Zoo

Looks mentally checked out to me. I hope we get him.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
He’s alright. He’s a good player. But Sancho is far better and will be a far bigger priority.

Status
Not open for further replies.