Jack Grealish / signs new 5 year contract

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ekeke

It's a fact mate.
Turns out you dont decide what is and isnt a fact about footballers.

Jones is totally unable to read a game developing in front of him, oblivious to see danger unfolding.
It's why he is desperately throwing his body in front of the ball to make blocks, giving away fouls and penalties and constantly getting injured, because of his lack of footballing intelligence puts him behind the curve.
You are welcome to the perfect example anytime.
He's certainly not the best at reading the game. But he's good enough to do it for half the teams in the league, just not for us regularly. He misreads and makes mistakes often because of how aggressive he is. When he's at his best and getting most things right its a good quality and he produces a high workload of dealing with opponents attacks successfully. But hes always got that 1 mistake in him where it goes wrong, thats why he isnt good enough to start for us.

Watching Valencia and Fiorentina regularly against other teams, as well as United against other teams I see lots of the players we're linked to as being "the one to solve our defensive issues" making mistakes and playing worse than Jones was at his best. All CBs are making mistakes, even VVD. Its a case of how regularly do they make them? Jones is too often for us.

But its absolutely fine for anyone in the bottom half of the table. And in fact if I were Palace manager I'd be happy to have him in my team too and they're 9th not too far from us.

Thats why I think its incredibly immature to be saying that Jones is terrible or that he's not good enough for the premier league. Just because a player isnt good enough to start here doesnt suddenly make them a terrible player. Its not £80 million CB, okay this one isnt as good £50 million CB, okay this one isnt good enough to start - Phil Jones retire. Thats how a child thinks in extremes.

He's not good enough for us but do you really think Sir Alex is a chancer who just lucked upon his success with players? Or maybe you can aknowledge that much better managers than you will ever be thought that he was good enough to play for a winning United team and the England team. Even if they are wrong, they arent going to be far wrong. Maybe hes not good enough to start for United and England, which is now my opinion, but that doesnt mean he should now be a division below. There are 14 teams with a worse defensive record than us, with worse defenders than us in the premier league alone. Absolutely madness to suggest he wouldnt be a good signing for one of them

poleglass red

I think he’s more nimble and agile than Maddison, better balanced and has better dribbling ability in my opinion. Really hard to see who is more technically skilled but Maddison can spot a through pass better. Not sure who i’ll prefer though
very close in ability, either is a massive upgrade. What I do like about Grealish though is he has become a leader at Villa, something we severely lack at present.

jeff gurr

Supports
Leicester City
Who do you think is the better player between him and Maddison? Obviously Grealish is a year older so you have to take that into account but still...
They are very evenly matched but do play a bit differently to each other and I would be happy to have either one on my team.I think Jack would look very good at Manchester especially as he wouldn't have to carry the team like he does at Villa. Having said that either one would be a fit at Man Utd.

jeff gurr

Supports
Leicester City
Jones would be great for them. He might not be good enough to start for us but he's good enough to start for half the teams in the league. Villa's defensive record is terrible.

Lingard would be good for a team to invest in because he's played well in the past, so if they could get a resurgence from him he could gain a lot of value and interest
I'm not as confident as you that Jones is good enough to start for half of the teams in the Prem but thats just an opinion.
The trouble with taking a chance on Lingard is that he is on big wages already & that cuts out a lot of clubs.

Ekeke

I'm not as confident as you that Jones is good enough to start for half of the teams in the Prem but thats just an opinion.
The trouble with taking a chance on Lingard is that he is on big wages already & that cuts out a lot of clubs.
True. But I'm sure we could come to an agreement about that and pay some of it ourselves. Its better than the whole lot and not playing him, or him coming off the bench and having no effect for us

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
Jones isn't fit to lace the boots of either Brown or Silvestre.
Infact, I am struggling to think of a CB of a major club having such a piss poor footballing brain as Jones.
Silvestre had that half a season of excellence in 03/04 where he was somehow one of the best players in the league (and then fell to pieces once Rio got that ban), but otherwise it's fairly close between him and Jones. I'm almost tempted to give Jones the edge as a central defender.

Brown was obviously comfortably better.

NoPace

I don't hate Lingard, I've been a long time defender of him, in the current market he's certainly more than a £10m player despite his terrible form of late. My point is that Villa are owned by a billionaire and wouldn't sell Grealish unless a) they were offered a ridiculous amount of money or b) Grealish demanded a move. An offer of £25-30m plus Lingard would simply be nowhere near Villas valuation of the player, unlike Maddison at Leicester he isn't just a player in their system, he's their leader both on and off the pitch & is effectively the face of the club, it would take crazy money while they're still a Premier League club.
I agree with all that except I think Lingard IS closer to a 10M player than a 20M one as he has strengths but it's tough to highly prize a 27 year old attacker who can't play a through ball and has 6 goals and 5 assists in 63 appearances over last season and this one. He hasn't been shunted out to the wing and he's not a playmaker. He could maybe do well in a 4-2-2-2 counter attacking system like a Leipzig play and end up being worth 20-25M but that's surely absolute best case scenario.

Think of it this way. Lingard for 18M would make him the 2nd highest fee (behind Maddison) a championship (not relegated from Prem) club has gotten for a player. Would you rather have a younger player like Kalvin Phillips (24, DMs age well), Mitrovic (25 young for a target man) or Bowen (22) or sign Lingard, also have to pay him a higher wage?

If I was Villa I'd risk Lingard for 10M with or without Grealish, but 20M seems way too much.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
This is dead in the water...

Artorias

I agree with all that except I think Lingard IS closer to a 10M player than a 20M one as he has strengths but it's tough to highly prize a 27 year old attacker who can't play a through ball and has 6 goals and 5 assists in 63 appearances over last season and this one. He hasn't been shunted out to the wing and he's not a playmaker. He could maybe do well in a 4-2-2-2 counter attacking system like a Leipzig play and end up being worth 20-25M but that's surely absolute best case scenario.

Think of it this way. Lingard for 18M would make him the 2nd highest fee (behind Maddison) a championship (not relegated from Prem) club has gotten for a player. Would you rather have a younger player like Kalvin Phillips (24, DMs age well), Mitrovic (25 young for a target man) or Bowen (22) or sign Lingard, also have to pay him a higher wage?

If I was Villa I'd risk Lingard for 10M with or without Grealish, but 20M seems way too much.
And what do you think of 40M + Lingard on loan for the rest of the season with a option of buy?

Ekeke

Bottom 3 now with a game in hand. Playing City a bit later... Would be huge for them to get points

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
I’d take him here. In fact I think he probably fits Ole’s profile more than anyone.

Sp00ks11

Snap him up when they get relegated, but I would sign Maddison to. Fed up of this one or the other rubbish. City have strength in depth and so should we. Particularly as Pogba is likely to be off.

Hughes35

He is one player I just don’t understand why we are not chasing (we may be but I’m guessing not).
He would instantly be our best option in the #10 role. He is a long term option that could be a world beater.
It could be a tough transfer to get done but I think he would come to us this month and you would have to fancy us to be pretty lethal up front with his supply.
I live in hope....
I believe most players have relegation clauses in their contracts / take pay cuts and stuff if they go down.

I think if they get relegated we will definitely be in for him as his price would take a hit (and rightly so).

Tony247

Snap him now before they get relegated. Because after that there will be 5 clubs lining up for him and there will be no guarantee he will choose utd.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Everyone better hope they get relegated. I think if they stay up he might give them another season/Villa will be very difficult to deal with in terms of selling unless a monstrous fee is offered.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
Think Grealish fits Ole's and United's profile more than Bruno Fernandes.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
How so? Bruno fits very well imo but what makes Grealigh a better fit? I could see both coming in tbh.
Probably due to age,experience in the PL,looks more adaptable in his role and possibly a cheaper option too if/when Villa get relegated.

The elements Grealish and Bruno do have in-common are leadership experience,composure in the final third,set-piece skills and ,by all accounts, both seemingly open to join us.

jackal&hyde

Probably due to age,experience in the PL,looks more adaptable in his role and possibly a cheaper option too if/when Villa get relegated.

The elements Grealish and Bruno do have in-common are leadership experience,composure in the final third,set-piece skills and ,by all accounts, both seemingly open to join us.
They are similar in age and price i don't think is to much of a consideration provided they are the right player. The PL experience i agree with.

With Lingard on the way out, i hope, and Mata on his last year we should be getting both if possible.

Devil may care

Maybe Villa will give him the move if they think the Bruno Fernandes deal is going to happen and they might lose the biggest payday as we will no doubt be good for £10M more than any other interested club.

Hawks2008

Maybe Villa will give him the move if they think the Bruno Fernandes deal is going to happen and they might lose the biggest payday as we will no doubt be good for £10M more than any other interested club.
Staying in the PL is worth more money than any transfer fee, if they want any chance of staying in this league they won't sell him in January. Also don't think he would push for a move and leave them in the lurch.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
He's an absolute no brainer of a signing for me... would cost a bomb but then so do any young English players... at least he'll be worth it.

romufc

He's an absolute no brainer of a signing for me... would cost a bomb but then so do any young English players... at least he'll be worth it.
Would he cost alot? Villa need the money for FFP, they could get relegated and it doesn't look as if any other big teams are after him?

I am sure a deal for 45m can be done here.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Would he cost alot? Villa need the money for FFP, they could get relegated and it doesn't look as if any other big teams are after him?

I am sure a deal for 45m can be done here.
I would have figured £50-60m .... which seems like a lot, but actually probably isn't really these days.

romufc

I would have figured £50-60m .... which seems like a lot, but actually probably isn't really these days.
I think that is the going rate for an English player, the only thing now is the media might drive his price up by having comparisons with Maddison and what not.

The only thing is if we sign Bruno, where do we fit Grealish as a starter?

DarkRed

He said he wants to play as an 8, not a 10, so he still could be on the cards as a Pogba replacement.

Jibbs

I think that is the going rate for an English player, the only thing now is the media might drive his price up by having comparisons with Maddison and what not.

The only thing is if we sign Bruno, where do we fit Grealish as a starter?
Bruno and Grealish can play like KdB and Silva. What we would then need another signing for Fernandinho role, although when fit McT can easily be slotted there.

romufc

Bruno and Grealish can play like KdB and Silva. What we would then need another signing for Fernandinho role, although when fit McT can easily be slotted there.
I dont know if that is too open, we have definitely not got the coaching set up for that. The teams needs to be well drilled in order for that setup to work. If that is the case wouldn'y Maddison suit the role more than Grealish?

RedCurry

We absolutely should be playing with two attacking midfielders if we setup in 4-3-3. That's the only way to dominate teams. Only maybe against other big teams we need to include an extra defensive midfielder like Fred. Having said that, two attacking midfielders can only work if your team's playing style is possession based. If we keep the ball 60-70% of the game, we can suffocate other teams with the right creative players. On the other hand if we lose possession too often, it leaves us exposed without that extra defensive midfielder.

Status
Not open for further replies.