Status
Not open for further replies.

Jibbs

DDG
AWB Lindelof Maguire Williams
Scott Fred
Grealish Fernandes
Martial Rashford
I would like to see us sign additional defensive midfielder, ideally Ndidi or Kalvin Phillips, to give competition to Scott. Fred and Pereira I see more as backups for our attacking midfield. That, and a right winger, hopefully Sancho, if not him, Ousmane Dembele is worth taking the risk.
Also, a backup striker and ideally somebody who can give competition to or is even better than Martial. Timo Werner springs to mind.

dbs235

I would have figured £50-60m .... which seems like a lot, but actually probably isn't really these days.
Yeah, Bruno is going to be a similar price, it's just how much players cost these days. I'm already getting used to it, £50M doesn't shock me for most players we're linked with now. In fact if we can get Grealish for 50 I'd be happy.

jeff gurr

Supports
Leicester City
Yeah, Bruno is going to be a similar price, it's just how much players cost these days. I'm already getting used to it, £50M doesn't shock me for most players we're linked with now. In fact if we can get Grealish for 50 I'd be happy.
I'm a big fan of Jack Grealish and think he would be a great fit for Manchester but I have no idea what his price would be in the Summer window. I keep hearing 80 M for Maddison & fully expect Jack to be close to the same price.

DarkRed

Grealish and Bruno Fernandes in a midfield 3 isn't workable IMO.
We don't yet know how Bruno will workout or if he is even coming but I think Ole thinking more to the Pep system like he wanted Pogba and an attacking mid.
When he is talking about his plans he always sets city as the example... Pogba maybe is going in the summer is somebody will pay, so we need to replace him too.

ManRed

Grealish and Bruno Fernandes in a midfield 3 isn't workable IMO.
Honestly If they sign then it will be a change of formation, playing a diamond like we didnt against city second half.

De Gea
Defence
Fred
Scott - Bruno
Grealish
Martial - Rashford

SAFMUTD

He's an absolute no brainer of a signing for me... would cost a bomb but then so do any young English players... at least he'll be worth it.
So maybe we should try with a non english player instead?

I dont get the obsesion over british players to be honest, theyre always more expensive than other players and there are very few ones that are truly world class.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
So maybe we should try with a non english player instead?

I dont get the obsesion over british players to be honest, theyre always more expensive than other players and there are very few ones that are truly world class.
I'm not saying we should buy him cos he's English... We should buy him because he's quality.

The fact that he's English makes it expensive, but he's actually worth it

pascell

Honestly If they sign then it will be a change of formation, playing a diamond like we didnt against city second half.

De Gea
Defence
Fred
Scott - Bruno
Grealish
Martial - Rashford
I like the look of that, especially if we're going down the 'rebuild' route, if we want to be challenging for league then Fred and McTominay would be squad players and we'd need world class players in ahead of them.

L1nk

So, what's everyone's preference : Grealish or Maddison ?
I could see Maddison costing a hell of a lot more for, what i'm not sure is, better value. His stats are similar to Grealish this season, but Maddison is a year younger I guess. Personally I'd take Grealish if he has a rumoured release clause that's meant to be quite low for a player of his talent. If Villa go down he will certainly be leaving and be a hell of a lot more attainable than Maddison, with Leicester becoming one of those clubs now that isn't in any real need to sell players

SAFMUTD

I'm not saying we should buy him cos he's English... We should buy him because he's quality.

The fact that he's English makes it expensive, but he's actually worth it
I think he’ll be quoted around 50-60, I dont think he’s worth that much at all.

Maajid

Formerly Mad
Let's be candid here, we're rating him so highly because of that corker he scored against us, aren't we?

friendlytramp

More full of crap than a curry house toilet
Reckon we plan to pick him up at the end of the season with villa being relegated. You can see why ole would hesitate over signing Bruno if it rules out getting a relative bargain of an English player in summer

GDaly95

Says he's one of the best posters
Reckon we plan to pick him up at the end of the season with villa being relegated. You can see why ole would hesitate over signing Bruno if it rules out getting a relative bargain of an English player in summer
They occupy different positions though?

They also both have excellent work ethics so from a defensive perspective we wouldn't have to worry that much

MetoTTT

I believe most players have relegation clauses in their contracts / take pay cuts and stuff if they go down.

I think if they get relegated we will definitely be in for him as his price would take a hit (and rightly so).
Not if there's a bidding war. I really like him. Maybe he can be effective as a CM and a RM (à la Becks).

croadyman

Why not look to bring in both Grealish & Bruno because would give us some strength in depth in that area.

Devil may care

We don't yet know how Bruno will workout or if he is even coming but I think Ole thinking more to the Pep system like he wanted Pogba and an attacking mid.
When he is talking about his plans he always sets city as the example... Pogba maybe is going in the summer is somebody will pay, so we need to replace him too.
The thing is City can play that way as Pep is an incredible coach who has been coaching his teams that way for a long time, even Liverpool who are currently the best team in Europe don't try to play that wide open in midfield as it's very reliant on the press and possession.

De Gea
Defence
Fred
Scott - Bruno
Grealish
Martial - Rashford
The thing is if Ole is still manager then I don't see him moving away from 4-2-3-1 as he's used it all season as the main formation and it's how he played at Molde.

Danillaco

I like Maddison, but don't think he's all that's hyped around here; but I really don't get the fuss around Grealish, especially for the price being mentioned.

Betson

Let's be candid here, we're rating him so highly because of that corker he scored against us, aren't we?
Not really , he has been good all season. Showed a lot of potential a few years back , progress off the rails for a bit but now coming good on his potential. I think he would be a great signing.

Unfortunately I can see him ending up at City or even Liverpool. When it comes to selling him Villa will have no shortage of offers from big clubs.

Bojan11

Fred, Scott, Bruno and Grealish as a midfield? Speak about average.

Yeah everyone’s going to say Liverpool have average midfielders. They have a way better defence with two fullbacks who get more assists than our attackers or midfielders combined. They have 3 world class players in attack.

Rashford and Martial are still inconsistent and Grealish isn’t exactly mr consistent. Scott and Fred are decent at best, but for me we can do better then them. We need someone who can pass the ball forward and control the game like a Carrick basically.

Danillaco

Fred, Scott, Bruno and Grealish as a midfield? Speak about average.

Yeah everyone’s going to say Liverpool have average midfielders. They have a way better defence with two fullbacks who get more assists than our attackers or midfielders combined. They have 3 world class players in attack.

Rashford and Martial are still inconsistent and Grealish isn’t exactly mr consistent. Scott and Fred are decent at best, but for me we can do better then them. We need someone who can pass the ball forward and control the game like a Carrick basically.
Agreed, if we're talking that amount of cash for those players, I would rather break the bank for better players as Saul or Partey, (or dreamland players as Kante or Kroos) or going more conservative for Soumare.

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
Around 12 goals and 16 assists last 2 seasons and half a season in the PL. He has to put up those numbers in 1 season not 3, in the PL too... if he is supposed to be a signing that can rival De Bruyne etc. Could he possibly do that for a better club, does he have that type of potential? At 24, it seems unlikely but I haven't watched him closely. To me he is a bit like Januzaj, decent now but mostly his name still rings out from breaking through so young. We certainly don't need a left winger, or a player with inconsistent output playing close to our striker.

Hughes35

Not if there's a bidding war. I really like him. Maybe he can be effective as a CM and a RM (à la Becks).
Maybe, but if he gets relegated, Villa have no choice but to sell. At the moment, he's worth more than money to them.

Jaqen H'ghar

I can't drive...55
I think it's the other way around, that goal highlights why he's highly regarded on here.

lysglimt

Scout
I would like to see us sign additional defensive midfielder, ideally Ndidi or Kalvin Phillips, to give competition to Scott. Fred and Pereira I see more as backups for our attacking midfield. That, and a right winger, hopefully Sancho, if not him, Ousmane Dembele is worth taking the risk.
Also, a backup striker and ideally somebody who can give competition to or is even better than Martial. Timo Werner springs to mind.
Agree with both Phillips and Ndidi - but that will be hard. Leeds will never sell us Phillips in their current position and being a Leeds-fan himself why would he want to leave them for us now ? Ndidi - Chilwell might leave, Maddison might leave - Vardy is getting older. Leicester will try to hang on to Ndidi for their lives

zenith

If we get bruno, then Grealish becomes less of a possibility, given that ole is hardly likely to play them together and move away from his preferred 4-2-3-1 formation.

Unless Grealish is okay to play in a midfield two, alongside a DM or old switches to a 4-2-2-2 formation and we forgo a right winger, while counting on James as our wide option, whenever needed

Jaqen H'ghar

I can't drive...55
So, what's everyone's preference : Grealish or Maddison ?
Either would be a good signing, but for me Grealish. Statistically their output is almost similar, however Grealish edges it due to
1) Being a United fan
2) Maybe just an impression, but he has a bit more toughness about him.
3) More versatile.

jamesjimmybyrondean

While I want him, I actually find it weird we're going for Bruno. If we get him there wouldn't be any point or need in getting Maddison or Grealish who to me are more of the right fits for the United culture than Bruno.

I don't think any of these players will come and be bench options either. And we wouldn't spend a good amount of money just for depth. The only thing I see possible is that we sign Grealish for cheap since Villa relegated and we play a 4-3-3 with he and Bruno. If Bruno comes, I don't see why we would try for Maddison who will cost at least 80m

Godfather

While I want him, I actually find it weird we're going for Bruno. If we get him there wouldn't be any point or need in getting Maddison or Grealish who to me are more of the right fits for the United culture than Bruno.

I don't think any of these players will come and be bench options either. And we wouldn't spend a good amount of money just for depth. The only thing I see possible is that we sign Grealish for cheap since Villa relegated and we play a 4-3-3 with he and Bruno. If Bruno comes, I don't see why we would try for Maddison who will cost at least 80m
They fit United's culture better? By being worse you mean?

Haddock

He's a sensational player carrying Villa and he'd walk into the midfield of all the top clubs (including Man City). England and Man United are crying out for a player like him who can hold the ball or dribble in tight spaces. Yet an oaf like Southgate can't see it.

You can tell the ones on the forum who watch no football outside the usual big 6 clubs because they would have been the same clueless buggers who didn't rate Modric in 2009.

Status
Not open for further replies.