Jack Grealish / signs new 5 year contract

Status
Not open for further replies.

DCP

Grealish is exactly the player we need. He grabs Villa by the scruff of the neck week in, week out and takes responsibility.

Tell me how that wouldn't benefit us?

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
I don't know why some foreign fans don't appreciate that we're an English club and a lot of us take great pleasure in having brilliant British talent playing for us, its been that way for decades. The amount of dislike for talented players because they're British is bizarre, and it seems to be getting worse.
It is ridiculous. Anytime we are linked to a British player I see these childish morons pop up with brexit fc. Give it a rest.

andersj

Nick Powell Expert
Its the key passes where he shines, the rest he's among a list of players and not at the top

Its amazing when you praise a player and then fanboys come at you and say "moar!". Maybe you should leave it to his agent.
I just found it to be a very weird statement. He shines at «key passes»? It just shows how people watch football through stats and whoscored. I would argue he shines as a playmaker, and that there is so much to his game that allow him to do that.

I also think his hold up and link up play is great. It is a quality we do not have in our team right now, and he would bring that to the table if we signed him.

I also think that being able to chip in with 7 goals (probably 10 + at the end of the year) in addition to being the playmaker he is for Villa is very impressive and something he will bring to a new team. And you could always argue he has played as an attacker, but I actually believe he would get more chances as an attacking midfielder at a top club than as an attacker at Villa.

Where does your favorite, Maddison, shine then?

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
I don't know why some foreign fans don't appreciate that we're an English club and a lot of us take great pleasure in having brilliant British talent playing for us, its been that way for decades. The amount of dislike for talented players because they're British is bizarre, and it seems to be getting worse.
Aye. I think it comes from a background of clubs over paying for British players, and the way the media hypes them. The same can be said these days for foreign players too though. Look at the Bruno thread for a perfect example.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Grealish is exactly the player we need. He grabs Villa by the scruff of the neck week in, week out and takes responsibility.

They could play together anyway.

fernandes prefers the right side while Grealish left, they wouldnt be in the same spaces.

grealish would be more of an issue with rashford.

Mainoldo

You are a moron, Villa are 2 points from the relegation zone, we have scored 11 more goals than them, with our strikers being our best performers. How would adding a creative midfielder behind that work out in the way you're saying? Please stop spouting your absolute crap in every thread, it is painful to read.
Well we will probably get Bruno soon. Let’s see if our football improves.

I’ll personally find you and ask you.

Infestissumam

this. Something about his attitude just screams "United", he's exactly the kind of player that SAF would have signed. He's one of the players I absolutely want this summer.

zenith

Is it possible to play Grealish and bruno together. How would such a system even work. Surely it'll need us to switch formations to a 4-2-2-2 and sacrifice the right wing position.

Else we would need to shoe horn him into a midfield 2 in place of Fred. I personally feel it'll be one or the other, given our other priorities in CM, RW and CF.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
Oh come on - No one has anything against English players. Our fans has always given upteen support to local english players who came from our academy even if they were/ are good for nothing.

Its the price we pay for these players, they are against(including me). We just cant keep spending 80m on average English talents.(e.g Maguire ).

Imagine if we had stick to Smalling and a cheap right back, invested in attack and midfield we would be in shout for a top 4 now.

Conor

Well we will probably get Bruno soon. Let’s see if our football improves.

I’ll personally find you and ask you.
Fernandes and Grealish are not the same player, but please do regardless, as I firmly believe having anyone considerably better than Pereira on the pitch will help us. Also, please stop trying to transform every thread into one bashing the manager.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
This kind of post is becoming so tiresome. It's just trotted out for every single British player these days.

Grealish is very obviously a talented football player.
True, though it doesn't seem to be just British players. Any player that doesn't have half of Europe queuing up to put a bid in for isn't worth buying, it seems.

I guess some find it hard to believe that the transfer market and ebay operate a little bit differently.

Classical Mechanic

Oh come on - No one has anything against English players. Our fans has always given upteen support to local english players who came from our academy even if they were/ are good for nothing.

Its the price we pay for these players, they are against(including me). We just cant keep spending 80m on average English talents.(e.g Maguire ).

Imagine if we had stick to Smalling and a cheap right back, invested in attack and midfield we would be in shout for a top 4 now.
Good thinking, could have put that £130m into buying Joao Felix, or were you thinking £70m on Pepe and £54m on Ndombele?

Bobcat

Behind the curtains, leering at the neighbors
You can if my point doesn’t go over your head. I said he wouldn’t be able to perform because he’s a technical player that needs to be around good players that want to play intricate football. I mean my Saturday team play football but we aren’t Manchester United level.

Manchester United do not play good football and It’s the reason why we look crap every week. You can’t tell me good footballers will look good in this team. We can’t even get Paul Pogba to look good. You think Grealish would.
Come on. Villa does not at all play technical, intricate football. Hes their talisman, and they would have been much lower in the table had it not been for him.

We are shite yes, but he would be a massive, massive upgrade for our midfield.

Mainoldo

Fernandes and Grealish are not the same player, but please do regardless, as I firmly believe having anyone considerably better than Pereira on the pitch will help us. Also, please stop trying to transform every thread into one bashing the manager.
Funny because know one has a problem with it other than you.

Don’t tell me what type of player Grealish is as I was the one waxing lyrical about him for months and can hand on heart say I know more about him than you.

So either replay to me with something useful or don’t bother.

But we can probably discuss this at the end of the season when some people are saying Bruno was too expensive.

Mainoldo

Come on. Villa does not at all play technical, intricate football. Hes their talisman, and they would have been much lower in the table had it not been for him.

We are shite yes, but he would be a massive, massive upgrade for our midfield.
He does improve there play and everything good does come through him so I agree. I would hope he would come here and do the same thing. But we also have to allow him to be the man and that would be a massive step. Questionable if he’s ready for that. He has the character for it though. Very confident.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
Good thinking, could have put that £130m into buying Joao Felix, or were you thinking £70m on Pepe and £54m on Ndombele?
Yeah, you could just take 2 specific players who is still adapting to new league and call it as a norm. Feel free to do that if that fits your narrative.

But If you are ever willing to take that glasses off and look around, you will see many other deals which went just fine, cheaper than what we did and with better players.

Bobcat

Behind the curtains, leering at the neighbors
He does improve there play and everything good does come through him so I agree. I would hope he would come here and do the same thing. But we also have to allow him to be the man and that would be a massive step. Questionable if he’s ready for that. He has the character for it though. Very confident.
True that some players thrive on being the big star in a team, but most players can adapt and some can even thrive when some responsibility is lifted of their shoulders.

Classical Mechanic

Yeah, you could just take 2 specific players who is still adapting to new league and call it as a norm. Feel free to do that if that fits your narrative.

But If you are ever willing to take that glasses off and look around, you will see many other deals which went just fine, cheaper than what we did and with better players.
So English players can’t improve with age in the case of AWB or improve with a better manager and teammates e.g. Maguire, or is it only these amazing expensive foreign players that are allowed teething problems or bad team situations?

Go on then, let’s hear these amazing foreign players we should of signed on the cheap?

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
They could play together anyway.

fernandes prefers the right side while Grealish left, they wouldnt be in the same spaces.

grealish would be more of an issue with rashford.
Agreed. Admittedly I only watched Villa against us. It seems that he likes to hang around on the left side, which is frankly it's for Rashford for life.

Jibbs

Is it possible to play Grealish and bruno together. How would such a system even work. Surely it'll need us to switch formations to a 4-2-2-2 and sacrifice the right wing position.

Else we would need to shoe horn him into a midfield 2 in place of Fred. I personally feel it'll be one or the other, given our other priorities in CM, RW and CF.
Get Grealish, Fernandes and Ndidi... play Grealish, Fred/Fernandes and Ndidi in a three men midfield.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off

Everything I hear about Grealish sounds very positive. I haven't seen enough of him myself but everyone seems to rate him really highly as opposed to Bruno with respect to whom there seems to be less of a consensus.

amolbhatia50k

Agreed. Admittedly I only watched Villa against us. It seems that he likes to hang around on the left side, which is frankly it's for Rashford for life.
Couldn't be play as a left sided AM like Pogba has since he joined (or Iniesta for Barcelona)? Sortof of like Grealish-Rashford replacing Pogba-Martial on the left.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
To the people saying Grealish isn't great at pressing - do Aston villa press as a team as well & Grealish doesn't or he just holds back by himself?

amolbhatia50k

From what I've seen he seems to have the best ball control and dribbling ability among him, Fernandes and Maddison, with Fernandes having the best goal threat (albiet at a lower level) and Maddison being a mix of both - strong in the attacking third and a very gifted technically.

I've always felt Maddison would be a good buy but I think Leicester are too well positioned now and would completely rip us off. On the other hand, from the bits and pieces I see, Grealish's technical class is something we really lack from midfield - his dribbling and ability to retain the ball seems better than Maddisons. Would you lot expect his end product to be strong at a bigger club? To me it appears that he's a player ready to make the step and one we may regret letting go to our rival's. Looks more interesting to me than Fernandes that's for sure.

amolbhatia50k

To the people saying Grealish isn't great at pressing - do Aston villa press as a team as well & Grealish doesn't or he just holds back by himself?
Having said what I said it would be a worry if he himself isn't good at it. At this level now you usually need both technical class and energy. Particularly in the PL.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
Having said what I said it would be a worry if he himself isn't good at it. At this level now you usually need both technical class and energy. Particularly in the PL.
Yeah to be fair he plays in this weird LAM, LW role as a creator - so I can see why he is given a bit of freedom to find space more than press especially if the whole team are lacking it so it should be taken in to consideration - but more importantly if the whole team are are not exactly pressing together then us comparing his pressing ability can't necessarily look the best at Aston Villa surely?

The little I've seen of Aston Villa I never remember them of a pressing type of team I was watching.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Couldn't be play as a left sided AM like Pogba has since he joined (or Iniesta for Barcelona)? Sortof of like Grealish-Rashford replacing Pogba-Martial on the left.
I thought Grealish is more of Hazard/Neymar type, not Iniesta. So I'm not sure.

Name Changed

weso26
Personally I'd pick Grealish over Maddison or Fernandes. He has been excellent this season. He would be cheaper also.

TheReligion

Abusive
It seems particularly odd given English football and talent is at an all time high across all levels (just look at the national team success across all age groups and the current senior side).

It's as though people are blinded by the players nationality rather than their talent.

fps

What’s drawing me to Grealish is that fact that he’s a talisman and used to dragging a club through games week in week out. We need that ourselves sadly.
I’d rather buy a player from a winning side. Maddison plays in a team of winners, it’s very different from being a hero in a losing side.

wolvored

People say he plays on the left, but he could be played from there by managers design not by choice. I dont get he would get in Rashfords way as Rashford could play that bit further forward if there was quality on the LM. Put it this way Pogba wouldnt have been left out if fit, and he plays from the left.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Is it possible to play Grealish and bruno together. How would such a system even work.
The other side of manchester plays De Bruyne and a Silva every week without problems...sometimes they even put gundogan behind them

Ikon

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
The other side of manchester plays De Bruyne and a Silva every week without problems...sometimes they even put gundogan behind them
Exactly what I say..^^
Besides, it's a bit presumptuous to imagine that we'll even sign Bruno anyway... :rolleyes:

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
I’d rather buy a player from a winning side. Maddison plays in a team of winners, it’s very different from being a hero in a losing side.
Forgive me, but what had Maddison actually won? Didn't Grealish win the play off final last year? Granted not a legit trophy of sorts but is slightly above that of Maddison.
Bit harsh to call out Villa for going up a league and not start winning every game.

Dan_F

He does? What have that team won. Don’t say the Premier League, as that was a completely different squad and manager.

lurkingfan

Maddison on his day is pretty good but he goes missing in some matches, Grealish on the otherhand can't hide. Man Utd needs players that don't hide, period!

Suvvernmanc

I thought Grealish is more of Hazard/Neymar type, not Iniesta. So I'm not sure.
Well to be part of a front three at any club that wants to challenge he'd to put up great numbers.
He has gone on record saying 'not sure the boss would like me saying this but I prefer playing as an 8'.

He plays as LW now but would still be a creative force more central but would absolutely need a free role similar to Pogba.

Status
Not open for further replies.