Jack Grealish / signs new 5 year contract

Status
Not open for further replies.

SAFMUTD

we should be all over him if Aston Villa gets relegated, actually we should be starting the negotiation right now.

Canagel

Would rather Buendia. Just as good in this campaign and far cheaper.

andersj

Nick Powell Expert
I like him too. Plays on the right. Very hard working compared to Grealish. But not sure he is just as good. Would be an excellent option to Sancho as a RW.

Last edited:

ROFLUTION

He'd fit in great here. Just like Fergie used to buy them. Up and coming and hungry. Value too

NoPace

His movement to get open and receive passes might be better than anyone in the Prem who doesn't play for City but I haven't seen much else from his game. If there was a team playing Pep ball finishing 6th-10th I'd say he's perfect. Which would be us if our next coach is a pass and move type.

croadyman

His movement to get open and receive passes might be better than anyone in the Prem who doesn't play for City but I haven't seen much else from his game. If there was a team playing Pep ball finishing 6th-10th I'd say he's perfect. Which would be us if our next coach is a pass and move type.
Who would you like to sign in this position just out of interest, personally I like the street fighter mentality of Grealish even though Maddison is more of a slick silky kind of player but feel a bit more leadership in the middle would be useful and Jack definitely has it.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Who would you like to sign in this position just out of interest, personally I like the street fighter mentality of Grealish even though Maddison is more of a slick silky kind of player but feel a bit more leadership in the middle would be useful and Jack definitely has it.
Ideal midfield signing for me would be a deep lying playmaker holding mid type. Like Carrick or Xabi Alonso, or Marcos Senna, etc. Roy Keane obviously a dream for that midfield. Or Jorginho and Fabinho from current day as examples in the prem.
Bruno Fernandes is the most advanced of the midfield 3, McTominay is a defensive box to box. Next to a defensive box to box it always makes sense having a deep lying creative midfielder, to hold the positioning of the midfield but also provide creativity and control from deep. If McTominay was a creative/attack minded box to box, then I'd say someone like Ndidi would be perfect (more defensive mid, less playmaker).

I'm convinced that signing an attacking midfielder/Grealish type will make us unbalanced (as you know we'll use McTominay behind them, and that just won't work consistently. Build properly, get the type that will really balance us. Buy that midfielder, buy a right winger like Sancho or Chiesa and we'll have a complete 11.

croadyman

Ideal midfield signing for me would be a deep lying playmaker holding mid type. Like Carrick or Xabi Alonso, or Marcos Senna, etc. Roy Keane obviously a dream for that midfield. Or Jorginho and Fabinho from current day as examples in the prem.
Bruno Fernandes is the most advanced of the midfield 3, McTominay is a defensive box to box. Next to a defensive box to box it always makes sense having a deep lying creative midfielder, to hold the positioning of the midfield but also provide creativity and control from deep. If McTominay was a creative/attack minded box to box, then I'd say someone like Ndidi would be perfect (more defensive mid, less playmaker).

I'm convinced that signing an attacking midfielder/Grealish type will make us unbalanced (as you know we'll use McTominay behind them, and that just won't work consistently. Build properly, get the type that will really balance us. Buy that midfielder, buy a right winger like Sancho or Chiesa and we'll have a complete 11.
Oh yeah we badly need a deep lying playmaker but Utd don't seem to see things the same way as us fans. I would love us to go all in for someone like Havertz or Saul this summer but there is no way we could afford one of them and Sancho in the same summer and despite the complexity of the deal he looks to be our top target.

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline

Completely agree, someone who can link the ball from defence to attack is ideal, and ideally a proper attacking right winger too and the team suddenly starts looking stronger.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
He's got an excellent passing range and is very creative. He has created the second most chances in the league, while having significantly less game time than the rest of the top 10.

Caesar2290

Is it better than Lingards? :lol:

Obviously we won't sign both Grealish and Maddison, but we may very well be going for both at the moment in case our first choice doesn't end up happening.
Do we want both of them though even with Pogba leaving? We already have Bruno who is a similar player and Mata who is contracted till 2021.

So assuming we sign one of them our CAM lineup roster will look like this: Bruno, Grealish/Maddison, Mata. Not too shabby

sherrinford

Is there a player of the requisite quality in that holding playmaker mould available? If we could get Grealish, or alternatively maybe Fabian Ruiz or Aouar, I think I would prefer that to Ruben Neves, for example, even though the later is a more sensible fit (with the two you assume will start - I’m not convinced McTominay is or should be ahead of Fred in the pecking order) as I think they provide more quality and with Fred or McTominay as the holder I think that midfield as a whole, though imperfect, would be stronger. Partey or Phillips on top of that would be gravy.

As an aside, I would say Fabinho and particularly Senna are/ were more destructive players and don’t really belong in that category of playmaking holding midfielders.

TheReligion

Abusive
Don't let Ryu and M.Bison hear this.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
This is what set's Grealish apart for me and would prefer him because of it.

tjb

There is a chance we won't sign him to play that role. He may play on the left, maybe even on the right given his attributes.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
There is a chance we won't sign him to play that role. He may play on the left, maybe even on the right given his attributes.
Rashford is our long term left winger, Grealish isnt a patch on him. How much has Grealish ever played on the right? Or would it be like shoving Mata out there for ages. Doesn't really work.

tjb

Rashford is our long term left winger, Grealish isnt a patch on him. How much has Grealish ever played on the right? Or would it be like shoving Mata out there for ages. Doesn't really work.
I think his pace and direct play means he will be more effective that Mata there. Plus he is currently and has been playing on the left wing for the most part. Concerning Rashford, I agree, but I am not so sure what role Rashford wants in the team or the future permanent role Ole wants for him. So far he has been fantastic on the left flank, but if we are signing Grealish and we already have Bruno, there would need to be a plan to accomodate him.

romufc

I think his pace and direct play means he will be more effective that Mata there. Plus he is currently and has been playing on the left wing for the most part. Concerning Rashford, I agree, but I am not so sure what role Rashford wants in the team or the future permanent role Ole wants for him. So far he has been fantastic on the left flank, but if we are signing Grealish and we already have Bruno, there would need to be a plan to accomodate him.

It looks like it could be a 4-3-3 with one holding and Grealish and Bruno either side of a holding Mid.

RW Martial Rashford.

Given our defensive full backs, we can afford to have attacking CM's.

tjb

It looks like it could be a 4-3-3 with one holding and Grealish and Bruno either side of a holding Mid.

RW Martial Rashford.

Given our defensive full backs, we can afford to have attacking CM's.
When you put it that way it does make a lot of sense. This means that Bruno would have to be the slightly deeper of the two and would essentially be playing scholes' role from the treble team. It does put a lot of pressure on Mctominay in midfield as he is a class defensive box to box player but has not yet been tasked with playing in the holding position. I believe he can do this, but we have to be patient with the transition.

Concerning the full backs, that is something I have always been concerned about. As a team, we have a responsibility to make full use of AWB's defensive skills because he really could become the best defensive left back in the world if we give him that platform. Taking a bit of attacking pressure from him by giving the midfield more onus of creativity would really benefit both himself and Shaw/Williams.

romufc

When you put it that way it does make a lot of sense. This means that Bruno would have to be the slightly deeper of the two and would essentially be playing scholes' role from the treble team. It does put a lot of pressure on Mctominay in midfield as he is a class defensive box to box player but has not yet been tasked with playing in the holding position. I believe he can do this, but we have to be patient with the transition.

Concerning the full backs, that is something I have always been concerned about. As a team, we have a responsibility to make full use of AWB's defensive skills because he really could become the best defensive left back in the world if we give him that platform. Taking a bit of attacking pressure from him by giving the midfield more onus of creativity would really benefit both himself and Shaw/Williams.
It is something that would work in most games because I actually think Bruno and Grealish do track back well, we just need players who will press and occupy space rather than be good defenders in that area.

When going forward, Bruno tends to drift to the right and Grealish left which will allow our wingers to play narrow at times. So Rashford can play inside forward with either Luke shaw or Grealish pushing into that role still leaving 2 behind in CM to cover.

With both Grealish and Bruno having good shots from outside the box, defenders will get tight to them leaving space for Martial, Rashford.

El Zoido

Him and Maddison are known party lions, no?
Yes. I live in the midlands, among many Villa fans. They talk openly about how Grealish always gets “injured” in December so he can take a break and go out on the lash. Like it’s not even a rumour or a secret. To his credit, he’s been focused this season.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Should be Grealish and Sancho not Grealish and Maddison if we're going for two.

Andersonson

Yes. I live in the midlands, among many Villa fans. They talk openly about how Grealish always gets “injured” in December so he can take a break and go out on the lash. Like it’s not even a rumour or a secret. To his credit, he’s been focused this season.
I've heard stuff myself about both of them, but who knows if its true or not

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
That doesn't sound great tbh. Players who are focused for a short period have a greater chance of falling into bad ways. Especially when flushed with the popularity and cabs that United offer.

tjb

It is something that would work in most games because I actually think Bruno and Grealish do track back well, we just need players who will press and occupy space rather than be good defenders in that area.

When going forward, Bruno tends to drift to the right and Grealish left which will allow our wingers to play narrow at times. So Rashford can play inside forward with either Luke shaw or Grealish pushing into that role still leaving 2 behind in CM to cover.

With both Grealish and Bruno having good shots from outside the box, defenders will get tight to them leaving space for Martial, Rashford.
I like the idea, but I'm not sure Martial would fit as the no.9 given those circumstances. We are not and will never be like city where our midfield will consistently dominate games through passing and possession retention. Our centre backs and McTominay would need to be great and keeping the ball and that is not the case. Plus it really does not fit our natural direct style anyway. We would need a centre forward that can hold the ball and bring others into play to an extent. A player who is comfortable with playing through the middle and not drifting out wide or too deep to attain possession.

romufc

I like the idea, but I'm not sure Martial would fit as the no.9 given those circumstances. We are not and will never be like city where our midfield will consistently dominate games through passing and possession retention. Our centre backs and McTominay would need to be great and keeping the ball and that is not the case. Plus it really does not fit our natural direct style anyway. We would need a centre forward that can hold the ball and bring others into play to an extent. A player who is comfortable with playing through the middle and not drifting out wide or too deep to attain possession.
I would agree with you on Martial, he is not a ST who will do that, he loses the ball way too often, I know Greenwood is very young, but I would like to see martial left Greenwood Cf whilst Rashford is injured just to see how he does.

there aren't many strikers out there in the market so we will have to be clever on how we fill that position.

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
“Always” aka the one injury he’s ever had in December.

Of course it isn’t a rumour or secret, because it isn’t even close to being true.

Renegade

What makes people think Ole will go back to a 433? Has he even tried it this year? Even when our available personal made it possible.
As far as I can see Grealish’s best football this season has come as a left forward.

romufc

What makes people think Ole will go back to a 433? Has he even tried it this year? Even when our available personal made it possible.
As far as I can see Grealish’s best football this season has come as a left forward.
He needs the personnel to make it work. Grealish best work has indeed come as as left forward, but watching him play he can be disciplined enough to play LCM with Bruno RCM as he favours the right allowing our wingers the chance to go narrow or wide giving the team alot more flexibility.

NoPace

I think we can probably sign Grealish for 50-60 and he'd love to come, and Maddison would cost 90+ and might not fancy it so there's not much point in arguing about Grealish's superior mobility vs Maddison being better at finding space deeper in midfield and seeing through balls better.

NoPace

He's got an excellent passing range and is very creative. He has created the second most chances in the league, while having significantly less game time than the rest of the top 10.
Yeah I know the stats say this, I just mean the 8-10 times I've watched them this year I've been struck by his movement off the ball far more than anything else. I could see Arteta signing him at Arsenal to help them in possession and they don't really have a 10 with Ozil aging and Ceballos on loan. He could really help them get the ball to their front 3.

croadyman

I really think we need a top CDM in the first place. McTominay is a solid player but in my books Fred is the better footballer when used in the right way. That is as someone taking the ball from the back 6 and break down opponents in the transition area. He needs a deep lying and defensively strong playmaker behind him with good positional awareness and a creative midfielder ahead/beside him. With Bruno having just come in that one should be sorted.
Grealish would take the role of Fred I guess but I am not sure that would give us the same balance.
If anyone at the club really has plans to go for Grealish AND Maddison this would show how clueless we are.
Yeah it would be utterly clueless if we are looking at bringing in two AM's rather than a proper CDM and Grealish this summer but then our club has such a poor structure and sees no need for defensive midfielders I wouldn't be in the least bit surprised.

GBBQ

Aston Villa are expecting 80 - 100m pounds for him which is fecking ridiculous.
They're in financial trouble so its not exactly surprising that they're looking for the best deal for them. The question is if they can get enough interest to get a bidding war. If its just united and they get relegated I can see them having to accept considerably less. Though i do suspect a few teams will be sniffing around.

Tony247

We don't have wingers, neither we have a #9 (no, martial isn't). In fact I don't recall such a dysfunctional band of footballers in top European teams in recent years.

RatPack

This transfer makes no sense. Se have Rashford in the same position.
Focus needs to be on other positions: Striker, RW and CDM.

Status
Not open for further replies.