Jack Grealish / signs new 5 year contract

Status
Not open for further replies.

RUCK4444

We don't have wingers, neither we have a #9 (no, martial isn't). In fact I don't recall such a dysfunctional band of footballers in top European teams in recent years.
Don’t tell the Ole Out posters this... they will shout at you that ‘we have world class Internationals.’

Slowly being improved but this was such a unbalanced side.

Bestietom

Obviously we won't sign both Grealish and Maddison, but we may very well be going for both at the moment in case our first choice doesn't end up happening.
Either of these 2 coming here, and we would have to change to a pass and move system instead of counter attacking.

sherrinford

Either of these 2 coming here, and we would have to change to a pass and move system instead of counter attacking.
All teams find themselves in position to attack both in transition and against a set defence in every single game. If you are only proficient at counterattacking you should be looking to improve at breaking down teams who are set in their defensive shape.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Aston Villa are expecting 80 - 100m pounds for him which is fecking ridiculous.
You're being linked with a 16 year old for 50m and you think it's ridiculous. :lol:

70m will probably be the eventual price I think although lower if we get relegated as then we're not in a strong posiiton. He still has three years left on his deal aswell as before we had to sell Young for cheaper than he wanted due to him having just 12 months left.

It's similar to what Palace want for Zaha hence he never moves from the.

romufc

You're being linked with a 16 year old for 50m and you think it's ridiculous. :lol:

70m will probably be the eventual price I think although lower if we get relegated as then we're not in a strong posiiton. He still has three years left on his deal aswell as before we had to sell Young for cheaper than he wanted due to him having just 12 months left.

Villa can do with the money as well though. You can see how Palace have been in the transfer market in terms of incomings over the last few years. They really haven't strengthened their squad much.

Palace also sold AWB for £50m so didn't need to sell Zaha, Villa have spent £100m in incomings this year too.

£50m should be the fee for him really.

Dante

Average bang
If it's Maddison or Grealish (and both are on equal footing), Villa only need to undercut Leicester to have the more attractive purchase option.

If Maddison is going for £80m, Grealish will cost roughly the same.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20

"Linked" is different from signing though. No one is paying 50m for that kid. Our last offer was 12m upfront plus various add ons to reach 30.
While Villa has every right to demand whatever price they want, it doesn't negate the fact that its ridiculous and no one would pay 70-80 m for Grealish.

macheda14

If you go down, the price goes down as well. You might not (I hope not because I like Villa in the prem), but it’s entirely possible.

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
Value of Grealish is an interesting one, and I can see Villa putting a price on him that forces United to look elsewhere. I think the guy is worth around £40m personally. No international caps and he isn't putting ridiculous numbers on the board like for example Bruno has - admittedly his value will rise if he gets into the Euro's squad and performs there. I really like him as a player, but I don't see a sale to United happening unless we can get him for that sort of price.

Gandalf

Value of Grealish is an interesting one, and I can see Villa putting a price on him that forces United to look elsewhere. I think the guy is worth around £40m personally. No international caps and he isn't putting ridiculous numbers on the board like for example Bruno has - admittedly his value will rise if he gets into the Euro's squad and performs there. I really like him as a player, but I don't see a sale to United happening unless we can get him for that sort of price.
I would love to get Grealish for 40m but barring relegation and a financial meltdown at Villa that is not happening. His true value is definitely closer to 70m when you look at recent midfield signings in the Prem and add in that English players always cost more. He may not be putting ridiculous numbers on the board but he is a constant goal threat and easily the most creative player in the Villa line up who would improve our midfield hugely.

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
I would love to get Grealish for 40m but barring relegation and a financial meltdown at Villa that is not happening. His true value is definitely closer to 70m when you look at recent midfield signings in the Prem and add in that English players always cost more. He may not be putting ridiculous numbers on the board but he is a constant goal threat and easily the most creative player in the Villa line up who would improve our midfield hugely.
Agree for the most part. I don't agree that his true value is 70m but I do think that this is what Villa will be looking for, and its why I think United will ultimately look elsewhere.

Things can change of course. They might end up with several interested parties, or United might find that our other targets are not available, but my prediction is we get him at 40-45 or not at all.

romufc

Things can change of course. They might end up with several interested parties, or United might find that our other targets are not available, but my prediction is we get him at 40-45 or not at all.
The thing is we are interested in Maddison and Grealish and realistically, we only need one. So we could put in a bid for both and walk away from one, been a while since we have walked away from a deal.

If Leicester want £90m we walk away and if Villa want £70m we walk away. That ofcourse is assuming no one else is in for him.

ThierryHenry14

Supports
Arsenal
The thing is we are interested in Maddison and Grealish and realistically, we only need one. So we could put in a bid for both and walk away from one, been a while since we have walked away from a deal.

If Leicester want £90m we walk away and if Villa want £70m we walk away. That ofcourse is assuming no one else is in for him.
Good luck try to sign the next shiny new toy on the cheap. He is darling of the moment right now and a young English player with stats as good as Maddison.

romufc

Good luck try to sign the next shiny new toy on the cheap. He is darling of the moment right now and a young English player with stats as good as Maddison.
I agree but if he does not go to the Euros, his price will not be that high.

There are different permutations here, we could potentially see Tuanzebe included in the deal too if he doesn't prove his fitness.

Yagami

Good post resistant
I'd be shocked if Grealish is a better player than Bruno Fernandes. Most people here haven't seen much of him, while those that have rave about him, while having the stats that back it up. Grealish is good but I dont personally think hes an unmissable talent or anything. Think hes a level below what Bruno can be or has shown to be (while both play the same position - so it doesn't make sense buying Grealish when both are #10's).
Grealish is easily better, imo.

I've seen enough of Bruno to see that his general play leaves a lot to be desired, and relies on sporadic moments of good play like Mkhi, Mata and Kagawa. Grealish is more like a D.Silva who just consistently provides good play.

Hawks2008

This transfer makes no sense. Se have Rashford in the same position.
Focus needs to be on other positions: Striker, RW and CDM.
Absolutely, another CAM should not be a priority. If we have room in the budget after filling more urgent needs in the budget then sure go for it but as it stands we aren't desperate for Grealish even if he is a popular option. Same goes for Maddison.

SpyLuke10

Absolutely, another CAM should not be a priority. If we have room in the budget after filling more urgent needs in the budget then sure go for it but as it stands we aren't desperate for Grealish even if he is a popular option. Same goes for Maddison.
Its for if Pogba goes. If Pogba goes then signing someone like Grealish is definitely a priority.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
PL football has changed, the whole 'that midfield will get walked through' is no more so we 100% could play a 4231/433 with both Fernandes + a Grealish/Maddison and have a Fred or McTominay as the more disciplined sitting midfielder

We could even keep Pogba and I'd still see the benefit in signing Grealish

Hawks2008

Its for if Pogba goes. If Pogba goes then signing someone like Grealish is definitely a priority.
I just don't see how the midfield will be balanced with Grealish and Bruno even with a monster DM behind them. Even if they are hard working that doesn't mean they know how to defend space behind them. If Pogba goes I think we'd be better served with a ball playing DM who can can control games with their passing, and create from deep. This along with a top RW and maybe even a left back who can attack and we go up a few levels as a team.

Now that Bruno is in I just don't see the necessity for another attacking midfielder.

jamesjimmybyrondean

I still don't think we need him. If Pogba goes all we would still need for a solid midfield is a creative DM like Neves or Phillips

If we play 4-3-3

Bruno....... Mctominay/Fred

........ Neves..........

Or

If we play 4-2-3-1

............. Bruno...........

Neves............... Fred/Mctominay

I don't get why we need him when all we need for a solid midfield is a creative DM. People saying buy him and a DM and play 4-3-3, why bench Fred who has been our best and most hardworking midfielder? Fred is starting quality at this point. And he and Bruno are the reasons why we are only in need of a DM to have a solid midfield.

I'd want Grealish under Pochettino though. He could play the role Alli played under Poch and Bruno could play the Eriksen role. If Ole is the coach then what we need is a creative DM to complete the midfield with Bruno and Fred in it. And a cheap AM like Eze or Szoboszlai that will be solid squad depth to take Lingard and Pereira away from the team sheet

Canadianred17

I still don't think we need him. If Pogba goes all we would still need for a solid midfield is a creative DM like Neves or Phillips

If we play 4-3-3

Bruno....... Mctominay/Fred

........ Neves..........

Or

If we play 4-2-3-1

............. Bruno...........

Neves............... Fred/Mctominay

I don't get why we need him when all we need for a solid midfield is a creative DM. People saying buy him and a DM and play 4-3-3, why bench Fred who has been our best and most hardworking midfielder? Fred is starting quality at this point. And he and Bruno are the reasons why we are only in need of a DM to have a solid midfield.

I'd want Grealish under Pochettino though. He could play the role Alli played under Poch and Bruno could play the Eriksen role. If Ole is the coach then what we need is a creative DM to complete the midfield with Bruno and Fred in it. And a cheap AM like Eze or Szoboszlai that will be solid squad depth to take Lingard and Pereira away from the team sheet
You're absolutely correct. If Pogba leaves there are much much better options at the 8 position than Grealish. He is talented, but spending $70+ million on Grealish is absurd.

Tony247

To contest titiles we need more than 11 good players. A team needs to have somewhere a squad of 15 decent footballers. In that context we need 3 attacking midfielders to sort out our problem in final third throughout the season.

You have just two and then one gets suspended, injured, need rest and the other becomes toothless. We should be able to field all 3 or at least 2 interchangeably all the time.

Ideally have pogba, grealish and bruno available all the season. Sell pogba next year and replace him with another MF. But never have entire season with just 2.

pacifictheme

To contest titiles we need more than 11 good players. A team needs to have somewhere a squad of 15 decent footballers. In that context we need 3 attacking midfielders to sort out our problem in final third throughout the season.

You have just two and then one gets suspended, injured, need rest and the other becomes toothless. We should be able to field all 3 or at least 2 interchangeably all the time.

Ideally have pogba, grealish and bruno available all the season. Sell pogba next year and replace him with another MF. But never have entire season with just 2.
I'd say more than 15. You need 2 players for most positions so a squad of 20ish of top class talent

thepolice123

PL football has changed, the whole 'that midfield will get walked through' is no more so we 100% could play a 4231/433 with both Fernandes + a Grealish/Maddison and have a Fred or McTominay as the more disciplined sitting midfielder

We could even keep Pogba and I'd still see the benefit in signing Grealish
Football changed but the fundamentals are still the same. You still need a defensive minded player to balance the equation. Fred and Mctominay are not defensive midfielders and I don't think we can "re-mould" them into one.

DarkRed

Football changed but the fundamentals are still the same. You still need a defensive minded player to balance the equation. Fred and Mctominay are not defensive midfielders and I don't think we can "re-mould" them into one.
Fred is a defensive midfielder, with absolutely no offensive contribution, I think he would be good behind two 8's (Pogba and Bruno as an example) but not sure if he is physical enough to do this in the EPL.
Mctominay is physical but needs to work more on his game, both of them would be a good backup for a better number 6.

Sparky Rhiwabon

Imagine bringing Grealish AND Maddison in. Having just brought Bruno in.

It'd be like some insane fantasy footy approach.
Or at least shifting our obsession on one position, following on from left wing a few years back.
Grealish / Maddison would be either / or not both

ash_86

Has to be our first signing. He makes very poor Aston Villa side push above their weight and most importantly controls the game for them. Most of the attacks goals flow through him. We need those kind of players who could take responsibility, have courage to take players on and just right bit of arrogance. He'd fit United like a glove

Smores

He's obviously talented but if we get him we'll end up playing him in a position different from the one which he had form in. A mistake we've made far too often.

JoeyJoJoJrShabadoo

People get so hung up on the starting 11. This squad needs options for teams that play the low block. We are set up only to handle teams who come at us. Grealish is a wonderful player who we should take if the fee isnt OTT

Status
Not open for further replies.