Jack Grealish / signs new 5 year contract

Status
Not open for further replies.

ash_86

I get a feeling that the club has already started looking into this transfer and it's along the way. At least let's hope that's the case

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
See I see it the opposite way. We have fred, matic and mctominay for 2 positions. All have had good seasons. In the position further up the pitch, if pogba leaves we really only have bruno who has played well enough so far.

So for me another am is the priority. With grealish we would have someone who is pretty adept at a number of positions, so realistically we would have 4 or 5 who could play in the two, as bruno and Grealish can play there (obviously not preferable or together), and we then have 2 for the number 10 role.

It is bruno who has made the team come alive but an injury or rest for him and we are back to lingard or pereira. We need another creative player more than another workhorse.
If we get Sancho, he can play as creative AM. Also creativity burden has to be shared with other positions. It is wrong to rely on and depend one position as creative source. That's why for years, we only had Scholes as the most creative player, but we didn't need to spend mega money just to have similar player covering for him. We shared it with Giggs, Beckham, Yorke, and Keano. This was when we were one of the best Team in the world.

And it's the same with every other big teams.

So the talk about, "what if Bruno injured?". Well, get an inferior player in, and let others be more creative. Even better, get creative players in positions that we need to strengthen.

DJ Jeff

Not so Jazzy
Soaring like a candy wrapper caught in an updraft
If we get Sancho, he can play as creative AM. Also creativity burden has to be shared with other positions. It is wrong to rely on and depend one position as creative source. That's why for years, we only had Scholes as the most creative player, but we didn't need to spend mega money just to have similar player covering for him. We shared it with Giggs, Beckham, Yorke, and Keano. This was when we were one of the best Team in the world.

And it's the same with every other big teams.

So the talk about, "what if Bruno injured?". Well, get an inferior player in, and let others be more creative. Even better, get creative players in positions that we need to strengthen.
As things stand if Pogba goes, a Bruno injury leaves us with Pereira or Lingard returning to the side, that isn't good enough

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
As things stand if Pogba goes, a Bruno injury leaves us with Pereira or Lingard returning to the side, that isn't good enough
That's the thing though. We shouldn't rely on one position for all creativity. Just like all great teams and us in the past have done.

JoeyJoJoJrShabadoo

I imagine Villa will want an agreement before the end of the season, because if they get relegated they go into a horrendous financial position and their bargaining will get much harder. Add in the potential position of the player and agent and the possibility of relegation release clauses.

You wonder what is the best for us to do. Do we make an agreement now and gamble that they stay up or do we put everything on hold till we figure out what happens with Pogba sale/Villa relegation?

RUCK4444

I imagine Villa will want an agreement before the end of the season, because if they get relegated they go into a horrendous financial position and their bargaining will get much harder. Add in the potential position of the player and agent and the possibility of relegation release clauses.

You wonder what is the best for us to do. Do we make an agreement now and gamble that they stay up or do we put everything on hold till we figure out what happens with Pogba sale/Villa relegation?
This is the conundrum with this signing. Part of me says we should go balls deep and get an agreement in place on this now before the end of the season rather than get into a bidding war.

He's a class player and would be a great addition to the squad.

I also think the club will buy into the marketing aspect with Grealish, potentially a very marketable player IMO.

Edit; And this is on the basis that we are (or should be) getting rid of Lingard and Andreas.

DarkRed

We are linked to Zakaria as well, him holding with Bruno and Grealish ahead of him could work but I don't see Ole leaving both Fred and McTominay out of his plans, and neither are DM's so all these line-ups with one of them playing a holding role need to go IMO, not only are they not cut out for it, the role actually takes away from their attributes.
So maybe sell Fred then? That's the only logical thing the way it is looking right now, but then, who will buy him for the money we will want? only way is a trade with the Spanish clubs like for Ferran Torres with Valencia.

tjb

Use him as a right playmaker. I thought of it and didn't want to sign him for this reason at first, but what we gain in creativity from his dribbling and his versatility means that he would have the pace and impactful movement to prove useful in any attacking area of the pitch. Eriksen didn't play on the right for spurs until he was used there.

red woppit

Supports
Northampton Town
Needs to get out of that awful Villa team ASAP :)
McGinn is a big loss to them, even so, with him on the team I still think they would be close to the bottom three. That loss to Leicester last night would have really dampened their spirits, think they are struggling now. All we have to do when we play them (like other teams) is keep Grealish quiet.

red woppit

Supports
Northampton Town
If Grealish did sign for us, think he would play similar to Bruno, popping up all over the pitch. It would be great to see them working together, unlocking the defence minded teams we play.

Infestissumam

would a 4-2-2-2 work with Grealish and Bruno having license to roam in front of a double six? Maybe not enough width, but could still be an interesting concept.

choccy77

I know Villa are really struggling which i'm sure doesn't help, but lately Grealish hasn't looked that great. If he came to us, I hope having Bruno around him, will really step up his game a lot, because I see his performances diminishing from low morale at the moment and will only get worse as season ends.

Has a lot of potential, but deffo needs to be in a good side, like ours, to see best of him.

Reactions: Invictus

ovoxo

With the Pogba news, are we very much of the opinion that if Pogba stays, there’s no Grealish? Or do you think we’ll still bring in Grealish and Sancho regardless? Grealish is very versatile so I for one would be happy for him to come in.

pascell

With the Pogba news, are we very much of the opinion that if Pogba stays, there’s no Grealish? Or do you think we’ll still bring in Grealish and Sancho regardless? Grealish is very versatile so I for one would be happy for him to come in.
Personally I think we'll still get him, especially if we've got CL football, there's a lot of games to play in a season and as we know from this season, injuries happen.

Judas

Open to offers
Seeing as we'll probably be looking at getting rid of Lingard and Andreas, why shouldn't we still get Grealish even if Pogba stays. Think of having all those options, there's enough games, and we're bound to get injuries.

Yagami

Good post resistant
Do you think he can play as a box to box creative #8 alongside Fred/McTominay? That frees up Bruno to play as the #10. I think Bruno is more suited to the advanced position because he is more risky with his passing, and Grealish is better at keeping possession.
I think he could play that role, yes. Last season, he was deeper than McGinn who, like Bruno, would be the one to get forwards, and was brilliant in said position.

The problem - like with Pogba playing the role - is that I think McTominay/Fred being the deepest midfielder leaves us a bit too open defensively. They're both all action CMs who cover a lot of ground and can nick the ball from the opposition, but I don't think either are suited to being the deep CM behind 2 advanced CMs, which is my we've improved so much with Matic coming back into the team.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
Seeing as we'll probably be looking at getting rid of Lingard and Andreas, why shouldn't we still get Grealish even if Pogba stays. Think of having all those options, there's enough games, and we're bound to get injuries.
I think if Pogba for some reason stayed it would be a question of Sancho or Grealish not both. For both money and football reasons.

GiddyUp

I reckon this is nailed on and will be done early. An announcement will be made about the time the champions league places are decided. This squad needs quality footballers and lots of them.

RkkMan

I think if Pogba for some reason stayed it would be a question of Sancho or Grealish not both. For both money and football reasons.
Grealish plays in midfield/LW Sancho on the RW two different positions that are not mutually exclusive it`s definitely both with or without Pogba. Other sales would still take our net spend down to slightly below 100m which isn`t too unrealistic

TwoSheds

Grealish plays in midfield/LW Sancho on the RW two different positions that are not mutually exclusive it`s definitely both with or without Pogba. Other sales would still take our net spend down to slightly below 100m which isn`t too unrealistic
Grealish can play right as well even if it's not his best position. But most importantly, what other sales are going to be earning you 70m if Pogba stays?

Highfather_24

I think he could play that role, yes. Last season, he was deeper than McGinn who, like Bruno, would be the one to get forwards, and was brilliant in said position.

The problem - like with Pogba playing the role - is that I think McTominay/Fred being the deepest midfielder leaves us a bit too open defensively. They're both all action CMs who cover a lot of ground and can nick the ball from the opposition, but I don't think either are suited to being the deep CM behind 2 advanced CMs, which is my we've improved so much with Matic coming back into the team.
I think against weaker teams we will be fine with Fred/McTominay as the deeper midfielder. Back in the day we had both Keane and Scholes/Butt as all action midfielders in a midfield 2, both covering for each other. I know the game has changed, but since we have defensively solid fullbacks in AWB and Shaw, I think we can get away with it more often than not. I think in bigger games we might be moving to a back 3, or have Fred alongiside Matic/McTominay with one of Grealish/Bruno ahead.

RkkMan

Grealish can play right as well even if it's not his best position. But most importantly, what other sales are going to be earning you 70m if Pogba stays?
Playing Grealish on the right will be fixing square pegs in round holes when we are finally having a functional team it`s very unnecessary and shouldn`t even be discussed as an option. As for sales Smalling, Rojo, Lingard, Dalot(rumors he`s on the out list) and Alexis for a low fee like 10-15m can definitely generate at least 70m

Freak

Born a freak always a freak.
We cannot trust Pogba. One minute he wants to stay the next he wants to go. I'd rather bring in Grealish before someone else snaps him up. A little competition for places is always good and Pogba will eventually want out anyway.

TwoSheds

Playing Grealish on the right will be fixing square pegs in round holes when we are finally having a functional team it`s very unnecessary and shouldn`t even be discussed as an option. As for sales Smalling, Rojo, Lingard, Dalot(rumors he`s on the out list) and Alexis for a low fee like 10-15m can definitely generate at least 70m
Why's it different to, say, Bernardo Silva playing right wing? Guy is a baller and can play anywhere no problem. Plus it's not like he can't swap with other players e.g. Bruno throughout a game.

-Supreme-

Why's it different to, say, Bernardo Silva playing right wing? Guy is a baller and can play anywhere no problem. Plus it's not like he can't swap with other players e.g. Bruno throughout a game.
You do realise that Silva is left footed and playing on the right is his natural position that he has excelled in for many years?

TwoSheds

You do realise that Silva is left footed and playing on the right is his natural position that he has excelled in for many years?
It's not his natural position, he's an AM or CM, he's just also good on the wings. Left or right footed, what matters is that they're good at football.

-Supreme-

It's not his natural position, he's an AM or CM, he's just also good on the wings. Left or right footed, what matters is that they're good at football.
You obviously didn't watch him play at Monaco where he predominantly played on the right

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Unfortunately if Pogba is staying this is probably a dead duck, I know we've had our injuries this season but we'd have some serious bad luck if we're left with only 2 of Pogba, Fernandes, McTominay, Matic and Fred again next season (not to mention possibly Bellingham)

I know it's about having options but when you sign someone like Grealish it's for them to be first choice and play week in week out and I just can't see how that happens if you have a fit Pogba and Fernandes

UDontMessWith24

would a 4-2-2-2 work with Grealish and Bruno having license to roam in front of a double six? Maybe not enough width, but could still be an interesting concept.
Both of them can and have played out wide if I’m mistaken. Problem is they both play out wide on the left. Someone like Odegaard who can roam out on the right wing would be better imo.

Eckers99

Michael Corleone says hello
Grealish would be nowhere near as effective as an orthodox right winger. He's at his best when he has a full view of the pitch with the ability to pick a pass through the middle or switch the play from left to right.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
I know it's about having options but when you sign someone like Grealish it's for them to be first choice and play week in week out and I just can't see how that happens if you have a fit Pogba and Fernandes.
Take circumstances into account like injuries, Mata isn't getting any younger, Lingard and Pereira being useless and there's always a space for player like Grealish who I think can give Pogba and Bruno good run for their money. We started this season with five central midfielders and for most part of the season we were outplayed in midfield.

Champions League, if we ever want to be there permanently will require quality starting 11, but also a quality bench. Clubs like Juve, Bayern and Barca are all having benches that can give them fresh energy plus same high level quality throughout full 90 minutes.

Last edited:

TwoSheds

You obviously didn't watch him play at Monaco where he predominantly played on the right
Ok so you're saying he's not natural in the centre then. Seems to do pretty fecking well when he plays there though.

forevrared

Not sure where he'd fit in now, but I've come to appreciate his game much more as the season has gone on. I imagine he'd get a lot of Dan James's minutes, if anything.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
Not sure where he'd fit in now, but I've come to appreciate his game much more as the season has gone on. I imagine he'd get a lot of Dan James's minutes, if anything.
He should be direct replacement for Lingard or Pereira, perhaps even both and he'll fit just fine with Mata in a state when he can't play full 90 minutes in high tempo.

-Supreme-

Ok so you're saying he's not natural in the centre then. Seems to do pretty fecking well when he plays there though.
When did I say Silva can't play in the centre?

I merely pointed at your stupidity thinking Grealish can simply slot in on the right, and to compare him with Silva who has played on the right majority of times for both City and Monaco

forevrared

He should be direct replacement for Lingard or Pereira, perhaps even both and he'll fit just fine with Mata in a state when he can't play full 90 minutes in high tempo.
The problem, though, is that Grealish will likely cost a load of money (unless he's got a relegation clause of some sort) and neither of those two players should be anywhere near the starting 11 barring a huge injury crisis. He's probably too good to move here to sit on the bench.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
The problem, though, is that Grealish will likely cost a load of money (unless he's got a relegation clause of some sort) and neither of those two players should be anywhere near the starting 11 barring a huge injury crisis. He's probably too good to move here to sit on the bench.
Grealish will be way cheaper than Maddison, plus he can play in three man midfield or directly behind striker and is fast enough to be a creative winger with most likely bigger impact than Chong or James. Ole will be able to change formations as he'll like without the need of taking into account Lingard and Pereira.

Fred was a bench player for almost full season, when he arrived here. If Grealish will fire on all cylinders then we shouldn't stop him from taking someone's place in a starting 11... and if he won't, he'll be still be great squad option that can be used pretty much in every match.

I just don't see a problem from having another creative outlet in this team.

TwoSheds

When did I say Silva can't play in the centre?

I merely pointed at your stupidity thinking Grealish can simply slot in on the right, and to compare him with Silva who has played on the right majority of times for both City and Monaco
Would you worry about playing Silva on the left? Would you feck. They're good players and useful anywhere they can create. Anyway, I couldn't give 2 fecks about this debate. My original point was that there is no way in hell we can afford to sign Sancho and Grealish without selling Pogba.

Status
Not open for further replies.