Jack Grealish / signs new 5 year contract

Status
Not open for further replies.

jamesjimmybyrondean

I have literally said the same as you did, however, alot of people have argued that we must sign first team players first.

For me if we keep that criteria of first team players then we are going to sign only Sancho and Ighalo only. For all other positions that people want us to strengthen we already have 3 to 4 players for eg. They want a Dm but what happens to Matic, Mctominay and Fred.

Furthermore, for CB we also have Lindelof, Bailly, Jones and Axel. Our biggest problem is we have far too many pointless players. In order to have a balanced squad. We need to get rid of Lingard, Perriera, Sanchez, Jones and Matic.

If we ship these players only then we have enough room to sign Grealish, Cb and Dm along with Sancho and Ighalo.
Exactly this. Plus Smalling Sanchez and Rojo are still coming back.

In defense we have Shaw Williams Rojo Smalling Maguire Baily Tuanzebe Lindelof Jones AWB and Dalot. I think this is good quantity. But quality wise I think only Maguire and AWB would start or a top European team although the rest are solid depth.

It's abit of the reverse with midfield. In midfield we have solid starting quality with Bruno Pogba and Fred but very weak depth with the likes of Lingard Pereira and Mata as none of them would make the bench for a top European side.

In attack it feels like we just need to fill an empty space and we're solid. We have no RW and no natural no.9. Get those and we're good to go

Based on this I'd say in order to go back to being a top Europe side for competing for the biggest trophies we need to

1. Clear the remaining deadwood that won't even make the bench in top European teams

2. Get a CB and LB of starting quality. Solid AM for rotation. And a natural striker and RW. This summer I would prioritise ST RW and AM. Getting a natural striker and RW has to be priority because we simply don't have any. Followed by an AM for rotation because if Lingard Pereira and Mata are not good enough to be on the bench for top European teams then they shouldn't be good enough for us either. So that means we have no rotational AM.

Last edited:

Trex

We need a right winger,an alternative striker,a back up 10,a better dm than Matic,another top centre back that is about five players if we want a perfect squad,but that won't all happen at once.The rebuild process is for three years,we would get closer by the end of the next window but it won't be complete yet,we would still lack depth in certain areas its just the fact

Suvvernmanc

Grealish is a must have player. It doesn't depend on Pogba going or staying. In all competitions this season, Lingard has played in 35 games and Andreas 37. And the season isnt over yet.

If Pogba stays, he will play in a midfield 2 with Matic, Fred, Mctominay as options. In a 3 man midfield, Bruno can be added to that list. Jack Grealish can take all the minutes that Jesse and Andreas take up, while giving much needed rest to Bruno who we cant rely on to play every minute of every game. Bruno is our only good AM. We need another player there 100%.

Let's not forget he can also give Rashford rest at left wing who is also another player we are currently relying on to play every game.

Pavl3n

Personally, I think Grealish and Maddison are on our 'shopping list'.
Many here clasify Pogba as a #10, but I am not sure that's the case with him. If Ole persist with the 4231 (which I think he will), Pogba will be one of the 2. Pogba, Fred, Matic and Scott will be the players, who will play in the double pivot.

Looking at the #10, the players capable of playing there are Bruno, Pereira, Lingard, Mata and Gomes. Mata, eventhough capable playing in that position, hasn't really featured there many times and has mostly been deployed on the right wing, so I will exclude him thus leaving us with the other four. Lingard (in my opinion) will be leaving, Gomes is definetely not ready and if he signs a new contract, he'll have a season similar to the one Greenwood had - a few cameos and a few starts against the lesser opositions. So that leaves us with Bruno and Pereira. Pereira doesn't have the quality and really leaving us relying only on Bruno.

I think Grealish and Maddison are at par to each other, but Grealish offers more flexibility with regards tactics and formations, having the ability to play a bit wider, so he could provide cover not only for Bruno, but for Rashford and Sancho (if we do sign him).

Now if we go by Ed's most recent comments and reading between the lines (that's how I undrestand it, I could be totally wrong) we would've been in the market for two players - Sancho being on of them and may be a midfielder or a center back. However since the whole situation changed due to COVID-19, clubs needing money (I think Villa are in that bracket) and us still being capable of spending, we might go for three players - two of them being Sancho and Grealish.

jamesjimmybyrondean

Grealish is a must have player. It doesn't depend on Pogba going or staying. In all competitions this season, Lingard has played in 35 games and Andreas 37. And the season isnt over yet.

If Pogba stays, he will play in a midfield 2 with Matic, Fred, Mctominay as options. In a 3 man midfield, Bruno can be added to that list. Jack Grealish can take all the minutes that Jesse and Andreas take up, while giving much needed rest to Bruno who we cant rely on to play every minute of every game. Bruno is our only good AM. We need another player there 100%.

Let's not forget he can also give Rashford rest at left wing who is also another player we are currently relying on to play every game.
I'm not sure Lingard and Pereira would have played many games if Bruno was in the squad and injuries weren't alot this season. But Grealish can take up Lingard, Pereira, Mata, Chong, James, Rashford and Bruno's minutes so it all adds up

zenith

Competition for places is essential to getting the best out of everyone.

We should definitely be in for Grealish, since his ball carrying ability and driving forward movement with the ball from midfield is something we currently lack.

I believe he'll be a fantastic number 8, and is more than capable of filling in for rashford and bruno, when required.

Pavl3n

Competition for places is essential to getting the best out of everyone.

We should definitely be in for Grealish, since his ball carrying ability and driving forward movement with the ball from midfield is something we currently lack.

I believe he'll be a fantastic number 8, and is more than capable of filling in for rashford and bruno, when required.
Definitely. With Lingard most likely leaving, taking into account the occasional injury and the fixtures list piling up, having a potent player to give rest to Bruno is essential to fighting on all fronts.
Just look at City for example - they have Sterling, Bernardo, D Silva, Mahrez, De Bruyne, Gundogan, Foden and Sane (although he hasn't played much) for 4 of the attacking positions - wingers and attacking midfielders. Pretty much 2 quality players per position.

If we do bring in Grealish, Sancho and Lingard is to leave, then we'll have Grealish, Sancho, Rashford, Bruno, James, Mata and Pereira. That will leave us also with just above 2 players per position (if we go by the 4231 formation). We definetely need quality in depth.

Scholsey2004

We need a backup ST and RW and for that we've loaned Ighalo and have been heavily linked to Sancho. I'd say we're definitely looking to sort our attack first. And so should we stop there? After signing those two positions where else do you think needs to be prioritised?
It's pointless making a laundry list of players and positions. We always sign less players than predicted. I wouldn't be amazed if we signed Sancho and Bellingham and left it at that assuming pogba stays. That's still a huge outlay, especially during a period when revenue is severely hit. Even when the football starts back up there's the potential of a second wave of Cv which could easily bring the game to another months long halt.

If we sign a third player it will probably be an opportunistic low risk Dan James type signing from the championship, not aiming for a specific position so much as a young, promising player for a reasonable fee.

BarstoolProphet

After Sancho, still the signing I want us to make the most this summer. Probably will end up spearheading Newcastle's Saudi revolution.

croadyman

After Sancho, still the signing I want us to make the most this summer. Probably will end up spearheading Newcastle's Saudi revolution.
Will certainly be interesting to see who is going to be Newcastle's first signing of this revolution

jamesjimmybyrondean

It's pointless making a laundry list of players and positions. We always sign less players than predicted. I wouldn't be amazed if we signed Sancho and Bellingham and left it at that assuming pogba stays. That's still a huge outlay, especially during a period when revenue is severely hit. Even when the football starts back up there's the potential of a second wave of Cv which could easily bring the game to another months long halt.

If we sign a third player it will probably be an opportunistic low risk Dan James type signing from the championship, not aiming for a specific position so much as a young, promising player for a reasonable fee.
Well you said that we should prioritise attack first before signing Grealish and I'm saying that's what we're doing. Romano(Tier 1) has already stated Sancho is our number 1 priority. Signing Ighalo in January on deadline also shows that we intend to have a back up ST before a midfielder or defender. So that shows that weve recognised a back up ST and RW as priority in our squad before any other position. I'd say we're definitely looking to fill those postions this summer and Grealish could be the cherry on top

Scholsey2004

Well you said that we should prioritise attack first before signing Grealish and I'm saying that's what we're doing. Romano(Tier 1) has already stated Sancho is our number 1 priority. Signing Ighalo in January on deadline also shows that we intend to have a back up ST before a midfielder or defender. So that shows that weve recognised a back up ST and RW as priority in our squad before any other position. I'd say we're definitely looking to fill those postions this summer and Grealish could be the cherry on top
You might be right. Ornstein has said we're not in for him though despite all the talk and he tends to be very reliable.

RedDevilRoshi

I can’t see Grealish coming unless Pogba leaves

jamesjimmybyrondean

I can’t see Grealish coming unless Pogba leaves
I can. He fits the profile of the type of players we're looking for. And if anyone wants to replace Lingard and Pereira asap it's Ole. Didn't show them much love when Bruno came in. Though I think getting a DM is better than getting Grealish since Pogba can also play as the AM but based on this season we've played a 4-2-3-1. Matic Pogba Mctominay and Fred have all played in the pivot behind the AM. Pogba has rarely played AM so maybe Ole sees AM depth as one our weakest positions

Kostov

Not sure about Ole, but I bought Grealish, Maddison and still have Pogba on Fifa20 and it works fine for me, I am sure that we can manage having Bruno, Pogba and Grealish...

croadyman

Don't know how reliable Ben Husband from the Birmingham Mail is when it comes to Villa players,he is reporting that Utd are looking to utilise Grealish as a RW.

I have a mate who works for that paper so going to drop him a message to get some verification on this guy.

jamesjimmybyrondean

Don't know how reliable Ben Husband from the Birmingham Mail is when it comes to Villa players,he is reporting that Utd are looking to utilise Grealish as a RW.

I have a mate who works for that paper so going to drop him a message to get some verification on this guy.
That would be incredibly stupid

jamesjimmybyrondean

Yeah and does it suggest that we are looking at alternatives to Sancho in that position. Apparently Grealish hasn't played there since a spell on loan at Notts County in 13/14.
It's likely not true but if it is then it suggests Sancho is staying in Dortmund for another year and we're buying Grealish to fill in that role for now

croadyman

It's likely not true but if it is then it suggests Sancho is staying in Dortmund for another year and we're buying Grealish to fill in that role for now
I will have a word with my mate as pretty sure he will know this journo and how well he is connected to Villa.

Pavl3n

I keep seeing that we don't need Grealish if Pogba stays, but I can't agree with that. Pogba is an option for the AM position, but I doubt he'll be used there more than 3/4 games at most.
Grealish is an upgrade on Lingard and Pereira, and also can cover wings, if we need to (which I doubt it will happen too often).

croadyman

I spoke to my mate who works for the Birmingham Mail today and he said Grealish to Utd was nailed on before the lockdown,however he doesn't know how the current situation has affected our transfer plans.

432JuanMata

It’s probably been asked but too lazy to look has he a release clause if they are relegated ? If not he should of chose Ireland might be a bit cheaper. Love him though has the talent and the confidence fit in nicely here

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
I keep seeing that we don't need Grealish if Pogba stays, but I can't agree with that. Pogba is an option for the AM position, but I doubt he'll be used there more than 3/4 games at most.
Grealish is an upgrade on Lingard and Pereira, and also can cover wings, if we need to (which I doubt it will happen too often).
Is AM position that critical? The manager showed that he can be flexible in his formation choice. Assume if we sign Sancho (since he's our main target), and then Bruno got injured, we can switch the formation to 343 which doesn't require AM. 3 at the back is a formation that the manager often used alongside his main one 4231. And he did use 343 before.

If Pogba is sold, the first thing we need to get is a CM/DM role to play in that pivot 2.

Pavl3n

Is AM position that critical? The manager showed that he can be flexible in his formation choice. Assume if we sign Sancho (since he's our main target), and then Bruno got injured, we can switch the formation to 343 which doesn't require AM. 3 at the back is a formation that the manager often used alongside his main one 4231. And he did use 343 before.

If Pogba is sold, the first thing we need to get is a CM/DM role to play in that pivot 2.
Have you watched us without Bruno and Pogba in the team? We can't create a chance to save our lives.
Unless you want to rely on Lingard and Pereira, but I've seen that movie.

RedDevilRoshi

Is Bouhafsi reliable for PL clubs and players?

I don't see us getting Grealish if Pogba stays and we get Sancho
Neither do I unless we are going to be letting Pogba leave to help fund moves for both Sancho & Grealish?

Ornstein stated that we aren’t even in for Grealish but Whitwell and now Bouhafsi mention that we are. Don’t know who to believe if I’m honest?

Sanche7

Is Bouhafsi reliable for PL clubs and players?

I don't see us getting Grealish if Pogba stays and we get Sancho
Maybe we are selling Lingz, Pereira and maybe Sanchez too. If we can get 20-30 million from selling those three and if we can buy Grealish for say 40,45 million its very much doable. It will also leave us prepared for when/if Pogba leaves.
He's too good to miss out on IMO, especially for the 40-50 mill price tag. He reminds me a lot of Isco / David Silva and will provide cover for a lot of positions. Plus he's British, a fan of the club and just 24. Would love to have him

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Have you watched us without Bruno and Pogba in the team? We can't create a chance to save our lives.
Unless you want to rely on Lingard and Pereira, but I've seen that movie.
I already mentioned 2 things and you didn't read them. First thing I mentioned that assume if we sign Sancho. Second thing is that AM is not the only creativity in XI, we can always change the formation and Ole did sometime change his formation to suit the situation and the opposition, and 343 is a formation that he tried before this season which doesn't require AM as well as no room for Lingard & Periera.

Lot of sources said Sancho is our main target, this should send you a message what type of player the manager wants to add in his attacking option and the purpose is to add another creativity for us to create chances. Sancho, Bruno, Pogba. Three top class creative player.

Even if we don't sign Sancho, I'm sure the club will sign another alternative, could also be Grealish being converted as RW or someone else.

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!
I still don’t understand Transfer debate right now. Grealish should be £20m cheaper already.

Nobody knows where all this is going. But I can’t see Grealish costing more than £20m come the end of the year.

Devil may care

I keep seeing people wanting him purely because they are scared that Mata/Lingard/Pereira will have to play some games, but if we got Sancho I think he could easily operate in the #10 role with Greenwood, Chong or James on the RW.

This will likely be a difficult window when it opens, the idea of buying a player who plays in a position we have two guaranteed starters in while leaving other positions that need addressing is ridiculous, although not as ridiculous as the idea of using him in the RW role. :houllier:

We've been moving smarter of late so I can only think if we are buying him it's because either Ole and co think he can play in the double pivot, or Pogba is staying and we are actually buying him as cover/competition for Bruno and Rashford, the 2nd of which isn't really smart as Pogba in the double pivot doesn't work.

Status
Not open for further replies.