Jack Grealish / signs new 5 year contract

Status
Not open for further replies.

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
What does your ramblings about Rashford have anything to do with what I said?

Don’t jump into posts about Ferguson’s standards with some rambling about Rashford and then talk about irrelevancy. As your entire post is.

It wasn’t described as drink driving at all as he hasnt been charged for drink driving.
Ramblings? Behave.

Because we are discussing the character of Jack Grealish and his suitability to the current team and culture. Therefore who better to compare him to than his direct competition for a starting place Rashford.

Rashford is an excellent example of the kind of player and culture Ole wants to encourage and at a younger age is doing far more than Grealish from LW both on the pitch and off the pitch. Grealish is a LW so would be the back up to Rashford. It’s entirely relevant to compare our current starter to someone people are suggesting will compete with him.

He drove drunk at worst and at best he got into a car with his drunk mate during lockdown after attending an illegal party because he was bored when coronavirus was at its peak. Rashford helped feed the nations forgotten children.

Red Company

Supports
The Peaky Blinders
I’m expecting Pogba to leave in 2021 summer. Grealish won’t fill that void. We’d need a CM.

What’s Ferguson got to do with anything I’ve said?

Rashford has been a shining example do everything you’d want in terms of character and ability.

People see a bit of talent and are willing to be blinkered and excuse any behaviour even that which endangers life.

He went to get pissed at his mates because he was bored. I don’t care who else got involved were not trying to sign the other players and the idiots who felt entitled enough to go against life saving advice.

Drink driving is a minor offence in the eyes of the law as was lockdown breach so of course that’s how it’ll be described.

Grealish decided in a time when the whole country was told to make a sacrifice that his own entertainment was of greater importance than spreading an unprecedented life threatening disease. And you think he’s got a good team mentality?

Rashford looked outward at what he could do for others to help. Grealish only inward for what he could do for himself.

Grealish does token gestures like most in his position. The vast majority of charity work is put on by the club for him to attend.

I’m not defending Wayne Rooney at all and so it’s irrelevant to the discussion. The only difference is Rooney did that whilst at the club.

I think your source is wrong.

Grealishs last CM performance was 22/9/19 against Arsenal. He’s only had 6 CM performances in the PL Villa lost 4 drew 1 and won 1 in that time.

He played CAM in the championship last season 27 times (including 2 play off performances) he played CM 3 times including a play off game.

I will stand by my view he is not a CM. LW/LAM yes. CM no. And I absolutely believe he’s a very good LW cutting inside and a decent CAM certainly better than what Lingard or Pereira could offer us. I would love to have Grealish if you could guarantee the right attitude from him but for £40m+ (and I’m trying to be conservative with the price as the reported £75m is a joke) he’d be a great addition.

But I honestly have absolutely no belief that 24/25yr old Jack will behave any better than he has recently and knowing what I do I don’t see his behaviour ever really changing despite his supportive family and background. It’s not like he’s a teenager new to football and the scrutiny anymore. It’s not like he doesn’t get great support and advice from people close to him who care. He’s a young man now and of course like all young men he’ll make mistakes but he keeps making them and this last one for me was the final nail.

I also think signing him is in complete confliction with Ole’s “Id rather have a hole than an arsehole”. His words not mine.
I think Ole's comments were well-timed.
They are a sign for players like Sancho/Grealish to get their act together before we potentially sign them.

If we look back at Ole's brief tenure, it is clearly evident that he has got other bad apples getting their act together as well.
Martial always seemed to have fluctuations maintaining his form but he has turned a corner this season.
Lingard was also given a wake-up call for his antics, publicly.

I think Ole still wants to try and sign them (Sancho/Grealish). Hence why he gave such a public signal.
He Wanted to hit them specifically since they have both attracted negative attention recently.

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
Ramblings? Behave.

Because we are discussing the character of Jack Grealish and his suitability to the current team and culture. Therefore who better to compare him to than his direct competition for a starting place Rashford.

Rashford is an excellent example of the kind of player and culture Ole wants to encourage and at a younger age is doing far more than Grealish from LW both on the pitch and off the pitch. Grealish is a LW so would be the back up to Rashford. It’s entirely relevant to compare our current starter to someone people are suggesting will compete with him.

He drove drunk at worst and at best he got into a car with his drunk mate during lockdown after attending an illegal party because he was bored when coronavirus was at its peak. Rashford helped feed the nations forgotten children.
No, we were discussing Ferguson’s standards of professionalism.

Yet you go on more ramblings about charity, which to quote you, how is that relevant?

Tens of thousands of people have gone outside during the lockdown, it has very little bearing on their ability to do their jobs.

No need to reply, I’ll do it for you. Blah blah blah, Rashford feeding children yada yada.

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
They are a sign for players like Sancho/Grealish to get their act together before we potentially sign them.

If we look back at Ole's brief tenure, it is clearly evident that he has got other bad apples getting their act together as well.
Martial always seemed to have fluctuations maintaining his form but he has turned a corner this season.

I think Ole still wants to try and sign them (Sancho/Grealish). Hence why he gave such a public signal.
He Wanted to hit them specifically since they have both attracted negative attention recently.
Absolutely I believe they were very deliberate warnings to players of the new expectations and levels required at the club.

I don’t think Martial has ever been a bad apple? Can you explain why you think he was a bad apple?

Lingard yes has been called out for it and his reaction is to get Mino Raiola as his agent... wonder why?

If it is the case that it was a warning do we want to be signing players who need a warning before they get to the club?

jamesjimmybyrondean

I’m expecting Pogba to leave in 2021 summer. Grealish won’t fill that void. We’d need a CM.
Grealish is very capable of playing CM(in a 4-3-3). I haven't watched him beyond this season but people who have said he has played as the deeper CM in a midfield with McGinn the more attacking one and he excelled in it. Asides from that I think his ability is much suited for the CM role. He's an expert in progressing the ball from midfield

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
From what I’ve read about van de Beek, he seems like the kind of player Sir Alex would have had in his teams and would probably have racked up some serious silverware along the way, compared to Grealish who whilst gifted, doesn’t seem to possess that air of professionalism. I’ll never forget that photo of him fecking passed out drunk in the middle of a road in some Mediterranean resort, and then his lockdown breach.
So you’ll never forget a teenager getting drunk once, in the off season. He doesn’t have the air of professionalism yet all his so called transgressions have never happened during the season. He’s praised and loved by his coaches, teammates and fans for his hard work and leadership.

All this Fergie this and Fergie that are complete horseshit. Just about every single captain we ever had under Fergie had a drinking problem. Keane has talked about his alcohol abuse. Rooney was charged with drunk driving as well as countless other drunken occasions. Ferdinand has said he would drink 10 pints in a night and then move on to the vodka and when asked if he regrets anything in his career it was his drinking habit. Nani has said players would routinely turn up drunk to training every Christmas period and Ferguson wouldn’t care. So let’s cut the holier than thou bullshit and stop acting like Ferguson didn’t allow players to drink in the off season.
It’s about context of the drinking.

“Grealish drove drunk during a national crisis and went to party with his mate because he was bored. Marcus Rashford at a younger age during that same time frame helped push a foundation feeding children in need.”

Rashford has since today openly sought to engage with the government to improve the lives of those in greatest need. This has been done in his downtime.

Whenever Jack has downtime he does something stupid; being sub at United he won’t be playing week in week out.

Do you not see the gaping difference?
Marcus Rashford never played for Ferguson. Grealish does loads of charity in Birmingham anyway.

Grealish went outside during lockdown along with 20+ other PL footballers and tens of thousands of other civilians.

Grealish was involved in what police called a minor incident. It hasn’t been proved he was even the one driving the car. And he’s been charged with nothing. Meanwhile, Wayne Rooney was charged and convicted of driving impaired, in the middle of the season. Do you see the gaping difference?
What does your ramblings about Rashford have anything to do with what I said?

Don’t jump into posts about Ferguson’s standards with some rambling about Rashford and then talk about irrelevancy. As your entire post is.

It wasn’t described as drink driving at all as he hasnt been charged for drink driving.
Ramblings? Behave.

No, we were discussing Ferguson’s standards of professionalism.

Yet you go on more ramblings about charity, which to quote you, how is that relevant?

Tens of thousands of people have gone outside during the lockdown, it has very little bearing on their ability to do their jobs.

No need to reply, I’ll do it for you. Blah blah blah, Rashford feeding children yada yada.
The full conversation from its origin.

Initial poster suggests DVB would be a SAF signing due to his character. Comments then on Grealish’s character.

You respond by talking about professionalism and drinking etc. Professionalism is both on and off the pitch and not exclusive to Ferguson we have current standards of professionalism Rooney, Rio etc do not play for us now.

I pick up on the drinking being about context not just drinking. And offer a comparison of behaviour from a player younger and in the same position currently at United as a show of current standards to show why people don’t want Grealish due to his lack of professionalism.

The charity is relevant as a comparison of two players professionalism and personality in tough times. Very relevant to a team wanting to get a title winning squad. You have to work as a team and not be selfish. Our current first team LW is absolutely a relevant reference point to the player people want to sign as a LW back up. Rashford has not broken any rules and has actively sought to help the UK population Grealish went to a party to get pissed because he’s bored stating that lockdown was “difficult”.

You are wilfully ignoring negative traits and a history of poor behaviour because you think Grealish plays football well.

You’re entitled to disagree but don’t act like professional standards of his direct competition don’t factor into a decision about signing him. Unless you think they don’t at which point it shows how much you know.

Lots of people have acted like arseholes so it’s ok for Grealish to be an arsehole? It has bearing on their willingness to make small sacrifices for the benefit of others (and themselves). It absolutely says something about their personality and sense of entitlement.

Couldn’t think of a good response to the charity comment? Don’t worry I know thinking is hard but at least attempt to debate the points as the childish attitude just makes you look silly and does nothing to support your points.

I think it’s admirable that our squad members are consciously trying to help out. Maguire, Rashford hell even Lingard is trying!

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
The full conversation from its origin.

Initial poster suggests DVB would be a SAF signing due to his character. Comments then on Grealish’s character.

You respond by talking about professionalism and drinking etc. Professionalism is both on and off the pitch and not exclusive to Ferguson we have current standards of professionalism Rooney, Rio etc do not play for us now.

I pick up on the drinking being about context not just drinking. And offer a comparison of behaviour from a player younger and in the same position currently at United as a show of current standards to show why people don’t want Grealish due to his lack of professionalism.

The charity is relevant as a comparison of two players professionalism and personality in tough times. Very relevant to a team wanting to get a title winning squad. You have to work as a team and not be selfish. Our current first team LW is absolutely a relevant reference point to the player people want to sign as a LW back up. Rashford has not broken any rules and has actively sought to help the UK population Grealish went to a party to get pissed because he’s bored stating that lockdown was “difficult”.

You are wilfully ignoring negative traits and a history of poor behaviour because you think Grealish plays football well.

You’re entitled to disagree but don’t act like professional standards of his direct competition don’t factor into a decision about signing him. Unless you think they don’t at which point it shows how much you know.

Lots of people have acted like arseholes so it’s ok for Grealish to be an arsehole? It has bearing on their willingness to make small sacrifices for the benefit of others (and themselves). It absolutely says something about their personality and sense of entitlement.

Couldn’t think of a good response to the charity comment? Don’t worry I know thinking is hard but at least attempt to debate the points as the childish attitude just makes you look silly and does nothing to support your points.

I think it’s admirable that our squad members are consciously trying to help out. Maguire, Rashford hell even Lingard is trying!
Rabble rabble rabble charity charity charity.

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
Grealish is very capable of playing CM(in a 4-3-3). I haven't watched him beyond this season but people who have said he has played as the deeper CM in a midfield with McGinn the more attacking one and he excelled in it. Asides from that I think his ability is much suited for the CM role. He's an expert in progressing the ball from midfield
He has 6 appearances in the PL at CM. 4 losses 1 draw and 1 win. In his previous seasons he has always played as an AM or LW in advanced positions.

I see no evidence that he will be successful at CM for us. I think as a LW/LAM he’d be talent wise a good asset. His best performances for Villa have been from his free role out wide where he combines well with Targett as the overlapping LB but he has little to work with so carries the ball often.

The CM roles isn’t just about ball progression but I agree this an area he excels. The issue he has faced when playing CM is that it also requires defensive nous and often restricts what a player can do unless a dedicated DM is present of which we only have Matic. Grealish out wide is let loose and it shows in the middle of the pitch at PL level he has struggled and at 24/5 I don’t think a change of position when moving to a high pressure club like United is on the cards.

If we buy him talent wise he’d be excellent cover for LW and good cover for AM. So I guess it comes down to what you’d prefer to sign.

A CM/AM in DVB or a LW/AM? As cover I completely understand why someone would want Grealish as he offers something different to James as LW cover and a better option than Lingard/Pereira talent wise. But that is just looking at his skill set and not his character.

It may not always come across but I do think he’s wonderfully gifted and a fun player to watch. I just think he’s not going to put the effort into being the person and player we need.

It’s nice to debate someone who actually will discuss and try to back up their thoughts btw! So thank you.

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
Rabble rabble rabble charity charity charity.
As you have made no attempt at productive discourse I will assume you have accepted and agree with the post I made.

I believe I have clearly outlined for anyone willing to read it why the comments are relevant to Grealish and his transfer.

I hope you can offer a mature and reasoned argument against my points if you do not agree with them like others have done on this thread.

You know you can disagree and still have a good discussion with people?

Anyway, quality wise Grealish is certainly good enough for a top 4 squad as LW/LAM but I’d be interested to hear what you would prefer between a CAM/CM like DVB and LW/CAM in Grealish.

Tony247

People make mistakes and they also deserve second chance depending on how dangerous they are to society. Society has specifically created legal and law institutions to punish the offenders, given necessary power to them to decide if they deserve a second chance, and if one feel that those institutions are credible then no other institution should take the social justice into own hand.

IMHO individual, groups or other institutions inflicting own justice on the offender over and above law enforcement institutions is not a sign of healthy society and should be discouraged.

If this discussion about Grealish is how we should teach him a lesson by not signing him, or why clubs should boycott him then I would kindly request please reconsider.

jamesjimmybyrondean

People make mistakes and they also deserve second chance depending on how dangerous they are to society. Society has specifically created legal and law institutions to punish the offenders, given necessary power to them to decide if they deserve a second chance, and if one feel that those institutions are credible then no other institution should take the social justice into own hand.

IMHO individual, groups or other institutions inflicting own justice on the offender over and above law enforcement institutions is not a sign of healthy society and should be discouraged.

If this discussion about Grealish is how we should teach him a lesson by not signing him, or why clubs should boycott him then I would kindly request please reconsider.
You must be his agent

jamesjimmybyrondean

He has 6 appearances in the PL at CM. 4 losses 1 draw and 1 win. In his previous seasons he has always played as an AM or LW in advanced positions.

I see no evidence that he will be successful at CM for us. I think as a LW/LAM he’d be talent wise a good asset. His best performances for Villa have been from his free role out wide where he combines well with Targett as the overlapping LB but he has little to work with so carries the ball often.

The CM roles isn’t just about ball progression but I agree this an area he excels. The issue he has faced when playing CM is that it also requires defensive nous and often restricts what a player can do unless a dedicated DM is present of which we only have Matic. Grealish out wide is let loose and it shows in the middle of the pitch at PL level he has struggled and at 24/5 I don’t think a change of position when moving to a high pressure club like United is on the cards.

If we buy him talent wise he’d be excellent cover for LW and good cover for AM. So I guess it comes down to what you’d prefer to sign.

A CM/AM in DVB or a LW/AM? As cover I completely understand why someone would want Grealish as he offers something different to James as LW cover and a better option than Lingard/Pereira talent wise. But that is just looking at his skill set and not his character.

It may not always come across but I do think he’s wonderfully gifted and a fun player to watch. I just think he’s not going to put the effort into being the person and player we need.

It’s nice to debate someone who actually will discuss and try to back up their thoughts btw! So thank you.
I'm still not convinced we are targeting these players as cover. I would say Grealish is the better player but VdB is an Ole signing

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
I'm still not convinced we are targeting these players as cover. I would say Grealish is the better player but VdB is an Ole signing
I think it depends on the future of Pogba but then for me Grealish isn’t the player to replace him. I think a more functional team is needed to replace Pogba

So you could say our base without Pogba at the moment is:

McTominay Fred
James/Greenwood Bruno Rashford
Martial

I don’t see where Grealish would start as I have previously pointed out he’s rarely ever played RW/RM and his most consistent playtime in that position was at Notts County 5 odd years ago.

Where would you have him start?

croadyman

Yeah you could well be right about that

jamesjimmybyrondean

I think it depends on the future of Pogba but then for me Grealish isn’t the player to replace him. I think a more functional team is needed to replace Pogba

So you could say our base without Pogba at the moment is:

McTominay Fred
James/Greenwood Bruno Rashford
Martial

I don’t see where Grealish would start as I have previously pointed out he’s rarely ever played RW/RM and his most consistent playtime in that position was at Notts County 5 odd years ago.

Where would you have him start?
I also don't see where Grealish would start even with Pogba gone. Same with Havertz and VDB unless we change formation to 4-3-3 I would guess

... Grealish....Bruno...

....... Mctominay......

Grealish would play LCM for the reason I've stated before. While Mctominay will play DM (there was an interview where he talked about learning the Carrick role).

It's an imbalance midfield. My midfield signing choice will always be Partey. If we plan to play Pogba and Bruno together I think we need a DM more. That way whether Pogba leaves or stays we would have a balanced and solid midfield. Pogba stays

.........Bruno.......

Pogba.......Partey

Pogba leaves

........Bruno....

Partey.......Fred

It would hurt a bit if Partey actually ends up a Arsenal and nobody competing for his signature

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
I also don't see where Grealish would start even with Pogba gone. Same with Havertz and VDB unless we change formation to 4-3-3 I would guess

... Grealish....Bruno...

....... Mctominay......

Grealish would play LCM for the reason I've stated before. While Mctominay will play DM (there was an interview where he talked about learning the Carrick role).

It's an imbalance midfield. My midfield signing choice will always be Partey. If we plan to play Pogba and Bruno together I think we need a DM more. That way whether Pogba leaves or stays we would have a balanced and solid midfield. Pogba stays

.........Bruno.......

Pogba.......Partey

Pogba leaves

........Bruno....

Partey.......Fred

It would hurt a bit if Partey actually ends up a Arsenal and nobody competing for his signature
As you highlight I think the first formation requires more balance and asks a lot of both Grealish and McTominay to perform roles they aren’t as used to.

I have no doubt McTominay could make an excellent DM. He’s got everything including the passing which is vastly underrated by the average fan but he need time to learn it well and it removes his goal threat so not ideal.

You know my thoughts on Grealish at CM.

I’d agree that someone like Partey would gives us access to different formations more and increase our flexibility but then I suppose the counter is the pressure on Bruno to create.

I think we’ll get our answer as to what is needed most when Ole decides his fully fit team selection this week.

Devil may care

@BenitoSTARR Some great points, anyone saying Grealish isn't talented is trolling as clearly as a left sided forward or #10 he is a good player, but all of the "He can play CM" stuff is still a maybe, he's done it a bit but week in and week out at PL and CL level for where we want to go is another thing completely. Then there's the gymnastics to excuse his assholery, it's not like he's a kid doing the shit he did and people are currently all over Dele for his feckery but want to dip around this, and our own fans are constantly on Lingard for acting the prat, but he's never done anything endangering other people to my knowledge.

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
@BenitoSTARR Some great points, anyone saying Grealish isn't talented is trolling as clearly as a left sided forward or #10 he is a good player, but all of the "He can play CM" stuff is still a maybe, he's done it a bit but week in and week out at PL and CL level for where we want to go is another thing completely. Then there's the gymnastics to excuse his assholery, it's not like he's a kid doing the shit he did and people are currently all over Dele for his feckery but want to dip around this, and our own fans are constantly on Lingard for acting the prat, but he's never done anything endangering other people to my knowledge.
Thank you. I think some people think it’s a vendetta against him but most on here acknowledge his ability to play football but ask any manager in world footballer what the difference is between the best and the good and it’s all mentality.

The CM issue I think is currently an indefensible argument there are far too few instances of him playing a CM role at any kind of top level to have a strong argument.

I think the vitriol directed towards Lingard for his social media presence being deemed unprofessional is is a great point. It is unprofessional and shows the club in a bad light and Lingard himself admitted it resulted in a “last chance” conversation with Ole. So I don’t understand how Grealish can be considered the kind of character United, and Ole, would be interested in if a bit of “laddish” social media behaviour was frowned upon so much.

Red Company

Supports
The Peaky Blinders
Absolutely I believe they were very deliberate warnings to players of the new expectations and levels required at the club.

I don’t think Martial has ever been a bad apple? Can you explain why you think he was a bad apple?

Lingard yes has been called out for it and his reaction is to get Mino Raiola as his agent... wonder why?

If it is the case that it was a warning do we want to be signing players who need a warning before they get to the club?
I think the phrase bad apple might have been incorrect in Martial’s case.
I guess what I meant to say was that he seemed like a really moody personality who would start sulking in games when it wasn’t going his way. Which happened dangerously frequently in his case.
It also affected the team negatively.

Ole was able to rejuvenate his confidence and get him on board with the new culture which avoided toxicity at all costs. Something Martial created by his tantrums.

As for Lingard, there is no one more happier than me that he hired Raiola. This just confirms the fact that he’ll definitely be gone this summer because Raiola will make sure of that being the awesome agent that he is. :lol:

As for your question about signing players who need a warning first?
Sure, if they’re worth the risk!
For me Sancho & Grealish (at £40m) are definitely worth it!
If they don’t get their act together, they’ll still have a ton of clubs willing to take the next risk on them and we’ll easily get our money back due to their decent resale value.
But I think coming to a big club usually improves players, not worsen.
They’d both be achieving their dreams by playing for us and will want to prove their worth!

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
I think the phrase bad apple might have been incorrect in Martial’s case.
I guess what I meant to say was that he seemed like a really moody personality who would start sulking in games when it wasn’t going his way. Which happened dangerously frequently in his case.
It also affected the team negatively.

Ole was able to rejuvenate his confidence and get him on board with the new culture which avoided toxicity at all costs. Something Martial created by his tantrums.

As for Lingard, there is no one more happier than me that he hired Raiola. This just confirms the fact that he’ll definitely be gone this summer because Raiola will make sure of that being the awesome agent that he is. :lol:

As for your question about signing players who need a warning first?
Sure, if they’re worth the risk!
For me Sancho & Grealish (at £40m) are definitely worth it!
If they don’t get their act together, they’ll still have a ton of clubs willing to take the next risk on them and we’ll easily get our money back due to their decent resale value.
But I think coming to a big club usually improves players, not worsen.
They’d both be achieving their dreams by playing for us and will want to prove their worth!
That’s just why I asked for clarification I figured you meant more that he appears to blow hot and cold and doesn’t really show emotion.

I wouldn’t go so far as to say he’s ever had a tantrum it’s just his natural demeanour which can be misinterpreted as disinterest which I don’t think he really is. I’ve seen for definite two occasions where I felt he’s not at the races today mood wise but the rest of the time I think it’s just he has a sort of resting bitch face for want of a better term (apologies to anyone offended by that).

I too am glad to see him potentially move on. I think he works hard and wants to do well here but he’s just not got the talent. So hopefully we move him on Newcastle anyone?

See I believe Sancho isn’t really in the same category of bad behaviour as Grealish. Sancho is just turned 20 and by all accounts still a very young man and footballer at the start of his journey. The worst thing anyone can say about him is he got a haircut without a mask on which was absolutely stupid but not malicious.

With Grealish if you could guarantee that midway through his career now he would change his personality and focus 100% on being the best player without the controversy anyone would be silly to not want what is obviously a quality player. I just have no belief this will happen as he has shown when bored (which you would be on the bench) he misbehaves regardless of consequence and on multiple reported occasions (there are more that are not reported too).

I don’t think moving to a big club improves all players plenty have failed at United in fact most of our recent transfers until Solskjaer haven’t made the step up.

As for their dreams Sancho isn’t a United fan and Grealish is about as Villa mad as they come, his whole family is! So it’s not necessarily a dream but a great opportunity for both to perform on the biggest stage in English football and make a real mark in footballing history.

Red Company

Supports
The Peaky Blinders
That’s just why I asked for clarification I figured you meant more that he appears to blow hot and cold and doesn’t really show emotion.

I wouldn’t go so far as to say he’s ever had a tantrum it’s just his natural demeanour which can be misinterpreted as disinterest which I don’t think he really is. I’ve seen for definite two occasions where I felt he’s not at the races today mood wise but the rest of the time I think it’s just he has a sort of resting bitch face for want of a better term (apologies to anyone offended by that).

I too am glad to see him potentially move on. I think he works hard and wants to do well here but he’s just not got the talent. So hopefully we move him on Newcastle anyone?

See I believe Sancho isn’t really in the same category of bad behaviour as Grealish. Sancho is just turned 20 and by all accounts still a very young man and footballer at the start of his journey. The worst thing anyone can say about him is he got a haircut without a mask on which was absolutely stupid but not malicious.

With Grealish if you could guarantee that midway through his career now he would change his personality and focus 100% on being the best player without the controversy anyone would be silly to not want what is obviously a quality player. I just have no belief this will happen as he has shown when bored (which you would be on the bench) he misbehaves regardless of consequence and on multiple reported occasions (there are more that are not reported too).

I don’t think moving to a big club improves all players plenty have failed at United in fact most of our recent transfers until Solskjaer haven’t made the step up.

As for their dreams Sancho isn’t a United fan and Grealish is about as Villa mad as they come, his whole family is! So it’s not necessarily a dream but a great opportunity for both to perform on the biggest stage in English football and make a real mark in footballing history.
Do you honestly think it’s his natural demeanour? Even so, what would you refer to it as if it’s not even him looking disinterested?

His inability to track back when having to defend as well as his lack of positioning awareness has gotten me baffled enough times. More particularly, to a level which is unacceptable. Which was why Mourinho wouldn’t hesitate to bench him. Even a few minutes of sulking and not performing your required duties can cost the team any positional advantages they may have been holding at that moment, or worst case scenario, lead to goals.

For me, a great example of a player who epitomizes some of our clubs ideologies and would be a great comparison in this case, is Daniel James. His work ethic and positional awareness is amazing. Even Scot McT is another great example.
Martial and Pogba are the biggest liabilities on the pitch in my opinion when they’re not in a good mood or tired.

But I think this season he’s improved and become more aware of his surroundings in terms of positioning as well as become more proactive in his defensive duties. Kudos to Ole for rejuvenating him.
I feel much less anxious nowadays knowing Martial won’t be losing his focus that easily anymore.

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
Do you honestly think it’s his natural demeanour? Even so, what would you refer to it as if it’s not even him looking disinterested?

His inability to track back when having to defend as well as his lack of positioning awareness has gotten me baffled enough times. More particularly, to a level which is unacceptable. Which was why Mourinho wouldn’t hesitate to bench him. Even a few minutes of sulking and not performing your required duties can cost the team any positional advantages they may have been holding at that moment, or worst case scenario, lead to goals.

For me, a great example of a player who epitomizes some of our clubs ideologies and would be a great comparison in this case, is Daniel James. His work ethic and positional awareness is amazing. Even Scot McT is another great example.
Martial and Pogba are the biggest liabilities on the pitch in my opinion when they’re not in a good mood or tired.

But I think this season he’s improved and become more aware of his surroundings in terms of positioning as well as become more proactive in his defensive duties. Kudos to Ole for rejuvenating him.
I feel much less anxious nowadays knowing Martial won’t be losing his focus that easily anymore.
Honestly yes I do. I think he naturally looks calm and cool and doesn’t show a lot of frustration or passion. I think he does his talking with his actions. So I understand disinterested as an interpretation but I’d equally say he’s relaxed on the pitch outwardly, none of us can tell inwardly how he’s feeling.

Some players need that freedom to perform hence he’s been moved to striker and I’d argue as you have that he’s gotten a lot better at the defensive side. Not many young players or forwards like defending in fact most hate it. It’s not surprising but as you say Ole seems to have got him on side.

I do agree it’s far better to have a team full of passion and hard working players but equally you need the mercurial players to complement this. Hard work pays off a lot, but when a team is defending deep and you need a magic moment do you rely on Dan James (who I love) or Martial/Pogba to play the killer ball or finish?

I guess we’re veering slightly off topic here now but I don’t really disagree with you as it’s just a different interpretation of a young man’s demeanour but I do feel it’s incredibly harsh to say Martial is disinterested he definitely wants to win games and be a great player.

Devil may care

Thank you. I think some people think it’s a vendetta against him but most on here acknowledge his ability to play football but ask any manager in world footballer what the difference is between the best and the good and it’s all mentality.

The CM issue I think is currently an indefensible argument there are far too few instances of him playing a CM role at any kind of top level to have a strong argument.

I think the vitriol directed towards Lingard for his social media presence being deemed unprofessional is is a great point. It is unprofessional and shows the club in a bad light and Lingard himself admitted it resulted in a “last chance” conversation with Ole. So I don’t understand how Grealish can be considered the kind of character United, and Ole, would be interested in if a bit of “laddish” social media behaviour was frowned upon so much.
That's the thing with Grealish, if he was a kid I think you could see his maturing and take a chance if he was priced at around the £40M mark, but he's 25 and still acting like a moron. I get why people want him as he's an exciting player to watch and out creative back-ups are poor, but there's baggage that can't be just dimissed with Grealish.

Agreed, there's not enough games with Grealish as a CM to form a true opinion on if he can play there at the top level.

That's what baffles me, it's clear Ole is trying to re-establish the type of cultureat the club that we had under Fergie, something Lingard's nonsense doesn't fit into and he knows he needs to shape up, so to bring in a player with much worse behavious seems counter-intuitive to me.

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
That's the thing with Grealish, if he was a kid I think you could see his maturing and take a chance if he was priced at around the £40M mark, but he's 25 and still acting like a moron. I get why people want him as he's an exciting player to watch and out creative back-ups are poor, but there's baggage that can't be just dimissed with Grealish.

Agreed, there's not enough games with Grealish as a CM to form a true opinion on if he can play there at the top level.

That's what baffles me, it's clear Ole is trying to re-establish the type of cultureat the club that we had under Fergie, something Lingard's nonsense doesn't fit into and he knows he needs to shape up, so to bring in a player with much worse behavious seems counter-intuitive to me.
I agree with your first point. He’s not snot nosed and rosy cheeked he’s been around the men’s game for several years. For the prices quoted you want to know you have a player who will be focussed and not embarrass the club.

I honestly never really considered the behaviour as a comparison between those already at the club who have publicly had a telling off but it would scream hypocrisy if we signed Grealish whilst denouncing someone for immature social media presence.

croadyman

Keep seeing stuff from reddit guys about him likely to end up at either Liverpool or City after the summer

theklr

Keep seeing stuff from reddit guys about him likely to end up at either Liverpool or City after the summer
Might be that Villa is trying to offer him around while we are pretending to be interested in VdB. Poker play.

croadyman

Imo Grealish is first choice but we're negotiating for other targets (VDB, Tolisso, etc) in case Villa ask for too much.
Do you reckon the door shuts on Grealish if Villa somehow stay up this season, in other words have they gotta be relegated for us to have any chance of signing him this summer

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
My only worry is that if he does become available, there may be a bidding war for him between numerous PL clubs.
I easily see clubs like Leicester, Arsenal, Spurs and maybe even City (If sane leaves) getting involved. Maybe even Everton.

So getting him at the £40m mark will be tough to say the least unless he makes it clear that he only wants to join us.
If we can't guaranteed him a starting XI, he won't come for any money. Also, I only want player who wants to be the best. I'd question his mentality if he agreed to come here just because we offer him the biggest wage.

theklr

Imo Grealish is first choice but we're negotiating for other targets (VDB, Tolisso, etc) in case Villa ask for too much.
Yeah, think so too. His name had been stated so many times together with Sancho as our priority targets by various sources

crossy1686

career ending
Yep, I'm getting this vibe too. Anyone that's anyone is saying United are in for Sancho and Grealish this summer, that line has been consistent from those that are in the know.

pratyush_utd

Can't tell DeGea and Onana apart.
I think the ship has sailed on this one. If Pogba is staying, I don't see the point in spending on Grealish. We have obvious issues in other areas and should focus on them before bulking up squad with 70m options.

crossy1686

career ending
I think the ship has sailed on this one. If Pogba is staying, I don't see the point in spending on Grealish. We have obvious issues in other areas and should focus on them before bulking up squad with 70m options.
£70m was a figure some random journalist pulled out of his arse. Suspect the actual fee would be way lower.

Highfather_24

I'm honestly surprised we are going for Grealish over a DM/DLP who can partner Bruno and Pogba. That seems the like more obvious hole in the team. Maybe Ole sees McTominay/Fred in that role as first choice.

izec

I'm honestly surprised we are going for Grealish over a DM/DLP who can partner Bruno and Pogba. That seems the like more obvious hole in the team. Maybe Ole sees McTominay/Fred in that role as first choice.
Me too, it only made sense for me without Pogba. Now if he is staying for at least another season, i don't see it. Funds should go to a DM if we buy a midfielder

crossy1686

career ending
Me too, it only made sense for me without Pogba. Now if he is staying for at least another season, i don't see it. Funds should go to a DM if we buy a midfielder
If Grealish is the identified successor to Pogba and he's available this summer, we're best off being overstocked for a year rather than panic buying some shite next summer because we didn't plan for Pogba's exit.

Status
Not open for further replies.