Jack Grealish / signs new 5 year contract

Status
Not open for further replies.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
There you are, it shouldn't be a hard sell for the club or the player. I don’t think he’d be under the impression that if he came here he’d be the first name on the team sheet anyway. But hey, we’ve seen various players come for various clubs over the years and absolutely exceed everyone expectations. I literally cannot think of one reason why we shouldn’t sign him especially now that Villa are a cert to go down.
We should try if it doesn't impact Sancho, but for him he'll have to be ok with not being a starter when all are fit. I don't think he'd join us when he won't be a starter, so thats why I don't think it happens. All well and good saying he can back himself to become the starter, but let's not kid ourselves, he's a few levels below Bruno, Pogba and Rashford, so when everyone's fit, he doesn't start. Easy to say he'll get games because of injuries, but I doubt he'll want to join us in that scenario where when all are fit, he doesn't start. We'll see though. Would obviously take him, just Sancho is 100% priority and if we only get Sancho I'd be delighted, while only getting Grealish would be a shit summer.

E-mal

Glad you aren’t in charge.

Dan James and Mata still offer something very different t Grealish,

James is an outstanding counter attacking threat and Mata is still a good last 30mins creative threat.

Grealish isn’t the same as either.
Mata offers nothing, he is just getting wage he does not deserve as far as am concerned.
James perhaps, his pace can be valuable against big teams when we are leading.
Lingard and Pereira have no use once Grealish comes in.
Smalling, Rojo and Jones should not be with us, a young defensive prospect might even be a better idea.

Last edited:

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
Maya offers nothing, he is just getting wage he does not deserve as far as am concerned.
James perhaps, his pace can be valuable against big teams when we are leading.
Lingard and Pereira have no use once Grealish comes in.
Smalling, Rojo and Jones should not be with us, a young defensive prospect might even be a better idea.
He still contributes creatively to suggest he offers nothing is clearly hyperbolic as an argument.

As a squad option he’s experienced, a champions league winner and creative. Shouldn’t be a starter but you can’t dismiss him fully.

I’d be happy to let Lingard and Pereira go.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
He still contributes creatively to suggest he offers nothing is clearly hyperbolic as an argument.

As a squad option he’s experienced, a champions league winner and creative. Shouldn’t be a starter but you can’t dismiss him fully.

I’d be happy to let Lingard and Pereira go.
Thank god your not in charge of the club either to be honest.

There is absolutely no reason why we as a top PL club should waste a substitute to try scare defenders by pace only when all it takes to counter that is an adequate substitute by the opposition team at max. The guy has proven to be bang average as a RW, has proven that he is beneath Rashford as a LW but also that Martial's performances under a manager who hated him in Mourinho at LW was something Daniel James could only dream of on or off the bench at 22-23.

If we get Sancho he drops even further down the line of players who are technically good at LW, if we get Grealish he gets even further down.

Why would defenders be more scared of Daniel James coming off the bench playing off the LW than Grealish who looks like one of the best dribblers in the league and as far as I remember is the most fouled player or something in the league?

Isnt that what we want from James coming off from Subs? And you want to keep him for the exact same reason whilst Grealish is a better dribbler, better goalscorer 9 vs 4, more assists 7 v 6, less games played, looks up before making a decision like crossing or shooting?

We gambled on James being a good enough RW at 12 million and we just ended up loading up LW even more.

Grealish for Daniel James any day of the week- can play central attack mid, can play out wide, can play midfield as he grows better than the dross we have rather than James who is looking more like a LW and a RW/RWB like Dalot.

Sanchez, Daniel James, Mata, Lingard and Pereira for Grealish would be great business if we load up with a pure RW considering how much space it opens up in our squad ( why it's not likely to happen all at once).

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
Thank god your not in charge of the club either to be honest.

There is absolutely no reason why we as a top PL club should waste a substitute to try scare defenders by pace only when all it takes to counter that is an adequate substitute by the opposition team at max. The guy has proven to be bang average as a RW, has proven that he is beneath Rashford as a LW but also that Martial's performances under a manager who hated him in Mourinho at LW was something Daniel James could only dream of on or off the bench at 22-23.

If we get Sancho he drops even further down the line of players who are technically good at LW, if we get Grealish he gets even further down.

Why would defenders be more scared of Daniel James coming off the bench playing off the LW than Grealish who looks like one of the best dribblers in the league and as far as I remember is the most fouled player or something in the league?

Isnt that what we want from James coming off from Subs? And you want to keep him for the exact same reason whilst Grealish is a better dribbler, better goalscorer 9 vs 4, more assists 7 v 6, less games played, looks up before making a decision like crossing or shooting?

We gambled on James being a good enough RW at 12 million and we just ended up loading up LW even more.

Grealish for Daniel James any day of the week- can play central attack mid, can play out wide, can play midfield as he grows better than the dross we have rather than James who is looking more like a LW and a RW/RWB like Dalot.

Sanchez, Daniel James, Mata, Lingard and Pereira for Grealish would be great business if we load up with a pure RW considering how much space it opens up in our squad ( why it's not likely to happen all at once).
Each to their own.

Where have I said that Dan James should play RW? If you knew much about my views you’d know I don’t want James anywhere near RW. But as a counter threat from LW or occasionally in our 3-5-2 or 5-3-2 depending on your inclination he’s a good squad option to have. He’s our leading assister in the PL.

If you want a player that makes a back 4 second guess their high press he’s a great option. When playing sides like Liverpool for example it’s a great option.

Anyone with half a brain cell would prefer Sancho to him as he offers more to us and I would never advocate Dan James as a starter.

Grealish has a horrible attitude as evidenced by his recent behaviour. He ran away from his drunken car crash. He’s a gifted footballer but not a good character and has consistently shown poor decision making. I don’t feel he’s suited to be a squad player at United as he is self centred which is fine when you’re at Villa and are the centre of attention with every attack going through you but when you’re sub and not playing week in week out the devil makes work for those idle thumbs.

If you wanted to swap one for another Grealish has more ability to dribble then James. But that’s not what was being suggested and not what I was arguing against.

Grealish can play LW with a free role. Evidence of his ability to play RW is non existent unless you count Notts County 6 years ago? Evidence of CAM comes from the Championship in the Prem he struggled to cope with the better quality in the middle and CM? I’ve seen nothing from him to suggest playing him in our 4-2-3-1 in the two.

Yagami

Good post resistant
I'm already a huge fan and want him regardless, but I want him even more just so I don't have to see Mata and Lingard in the team. We would improve so much by having him to fall back on instead of our current squaddies.

T00lsh3d

T00ly O' Sh3d
I'm already a huge fan and want him regardless, but I want him even more just so I don't have to see Mata and Lingard in the team. We would improve so much by having him to fall back on instead of our current squaddies.
This game happening currently should remove any argument that we’re ok with what we’ve got

Kag

Yep. If we ever needed justification for buying the likes of Grealish then it’s this half that does it. We’re an injury or two to key players away from fielding players (Lingard, Pereira etc.) that wouldn’t start for Watford.

Grealish is the sort of player who could come in for a Pogba, or a Rashford, and win games for us. It’s this sort of depth that City have been able to rely on in recent seasons. No Sane or Silva? Great, let’s bring in Mahrez.

Freak

Born a freak always a freak.
If any of you still think we should not go for him because we already have Pogba and Bruno, just start watching our game against Norwich. We are one injury away to either of them to having throw mata or Lingard into the team. Do you really want to see Mata or Lingard or Pereira starting?

Classical Mechanic

Hope that we get to see him with better players next year one way or another. Villa‘s side is garbage. I don’t think Grealish will be a POTY candidate but I think he’s the level of player we need in the squad over the likes of Lingard or Pereira.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
He would do wonders for our squad depth. Lingard and Mata are stealing a living.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
We should try if it doesn't impact Sancho, but for him he'll have to be ok with not being a starter when all are fit. I don't think he'd join us when he won't be a starter, so thats why I don't think it happens. All well and good saying he can back himself to become the starter, but let's not kid ourselves, he's a few levels below Bruno, Pogba and Rashford, so when everyone's fit, he doesn't start. Easy to say he'll get games because of injuries, but I doubt he'll want to join us in that scenario where when all are fit, he doesn't start. We'll see though. Would obviously take him, just Sancho is 100% priority and if we only get Sancho I'd be delighted, while only getting Grealish would be a shit summer.
Well yes if it’s between him and Sancho then Sancho is a clear winner. Regarding his role in the club, I think he would be assured of plenty of minutes over the course of the season and a chance to prove himself. I think the lure of Man Utd isn’t gone and he’d be perfectly okay with rotation. Just he’s always spoke glowingly of Man Utd and Old Trafford so I think he’d love to play here. I agree our summer rests on primarily RW and secondary on Sancho. That Italian fella seems to be an alternative. Look as long as we get really competent winger then I’ll be satisfied. Not signing a RW would make me lose a lot of trust in Ole which he has managed to regain.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
He would do wonders for our squad depth. Lingard and Mata are stealing a living.
fecking a. Imagine Lingard in that Villa team they’d be down already. The difference in quality is absolutely incredible. This guy is a no brainer for squad depth.

van Persie

We're not really in a position to spend that kind of money on strength in depth though, not when we have areas of the starting 11 that could do with an upgrade.
Depth.. How many games do we play per season? Injuries? If we signed Grealish he'd get plenty of time to play especially since he can play in multiple positions. The bullshit excuses people make up on these forums to play ITK

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
Depth.. How many games do we play per season? Injuries? If we signed Grealish he'd get plenty of time to play especially since he can play in multiple positions. The bullshit excuses people make up on these forums to play ITK
What are these bullshit excuses you're referring to? Who's playing ITK exactly?

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
What bullshit excuses have been made

He’s a good footballer and would provide a good squad option quality wise.

Hes also a knob.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
If we could get him in, it'd be an absolute no brainer.

But they're bound to want 50-60m, which for a non guaranteed starter would be ridiculous.

croadyman

It'll either be Grealish or VdB I feel.
Yeah my gut feeling is that he is the top target out of the two and can see us making a move if Villa go down as expected, I get that Van Der Beek is better on the ball than him but just think there is an off the cuff feel in the way Jack plays that appeals to Utd

Touseef

I feel we need good quality backups for CAM and CDM (Counting Fred as backup to Pogba). I feel Ole doesn't agree with the need for CDM or feels it's not priority for now or that Scot can take that up.

In that case, I feel our signings priority for now are RW > CAM > ST > CB > LW

For RW, obv. Sancho is top priority and we should do whatever possible to get him.

For CAM, it's b/w him and van der beek I feel and I'd personally go with the latter as I feel he suits our style better.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
For our last 3 signings this hasn't been the case at all. Maguire, AWB and Fernandes all walked straight into the team.
They all walked into glaring holes in the team. We only have one of those left - right wing. After we fill that there are a few spots where we could strengthen (CB and DCM most obviously) but I wouldn't say they are particularly more important than getting a quality option to rotate over a few positions where we currently have no real option.

WR10

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Let’s be honest - would this guy get any attention if it wasn’t for his hand sculpted calves on display every game?
A polished lingard

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
I think he would be a fantastic signing and judging from the reaction in here I don’t think people realise how good a player he is. His versatility would be excellent for our squad and he will also have the right attitude to not a settle for a simply squad role, which is vital when he will be competing with some of our stars. The main thing that Grealish would bring on the pitch is his ball carrying ability. Utd simply do not have enough players that can drive and commit opposition players to open up spaces. Even our best players (Pogba + Fernandes) are not the kind to beat 2-3 men regularly whereas Grealish is. He wins a silly amount freekicks which again is another useful avenue for breaking down a defence.

Man Yusuf united

Grealish is the tipe of the players we should be after because we need more creativity in our squad in order to compete with the best but with all do respect he's going to be a rotation player and not a starter as paul and Bruno are, and right now from my point of view I think we need to go for a starter someone who will come in and make the position his own like Bruno, Harry and Aaron and that's where someone like Jadon comes in. And if you ask me, I can see that we still need that someone in defense to partner with Maguire also in defensive midfield area.

Last edited:

DuruttiColumn

Where does he play? Nobody is going to offer Pogba 350K a week, so he’s likely staying. Is Grealish really the answer on the right?

lovely player, but top priority?

Hawks2008

If its him or VDB I think the latter is the better option.

We shouldn't be signing either until RW and DM is sorted though.

Bobski

Plenty of ability but when he gets the big move he will need an adjustment in mentality and probably positioning to make a long term impact at a higher level. He is not going to be allowed the freedom he has at Villa, especially with the lack of end product. I think he has the tools to be an excellent controlling midfielder, his composure and strength on the ball, awareness of the press and his escape options, and short passing are all impressive. In that role though you have to be a 90 min players and accept the donkey work that midfield entails.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
I don't understand this rumour. We are loaded in midfield. And i don't see any logic in buying 60mil player for bench/rotation in this post covid situation

McGrathsipan

Dawn’s less famous husband
Hope that we get to see him with better players next year one way or another. Villa‘s side is garbage. I don’t think Grealish will be a POTY candidate but I think he’s the level of player we need in the squad over the likes of Lingard or Pereira.
id agree with you there. He is better than some of the shitehawks that we have but we should only go for him if he is at a decent price.
None of this overpaying bollocks!

croadyman

I would much prefer an expensive backup like him than having to watch Pereira/Mata/Lingard come on and try to change a game in our favour, maybe he would relish the idea of having to compete for a spot in this team and it could even bring out his best form.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
I would much prefer an expensive backup like him than having to watch Pereira/Mata/Lingard come on and try to change a game in our favour, maybe he would relish the idea of having to compete for a spot in this team and it could even bring out his best form.
We could do with Alaba and Lahm also. Sure they're gonna be expensive, but our FB covers are shite.

mariachi-19

I may be the devil, but i'm not a monster
I don't understand this rumour. We are loaded in midfield. And i don't see any logic in buying 60mil player for bench/rotation in this post covid situation
I doubt very much he'll be a 60 mil player in the current market. Probably closer to 40 which is maybe not a ridiculous amount. Given Gomes is potentially throwing it in and Garner is still a few years away, he might be a good stop gap

Marcelinho87

Some very short memories in here regarding Mata... Before all this shit kicked off it was here where people were saying "look how much better he plays with Bruno" and constant praise... But then look at Matic and how that's turned. The caf likes a 180.

Status
Not open for further replies.