Jack Grealish / signs new 5 year contract

Status
Not open for further replies.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
If any of you still think we should not go for him because we already have Pogba and Bruno, just start watching our game against Norwich. We are one injury away to either of them to having throw mata or Lingard into the team. Do you really want to see Mata or Lingard or Pereira starting?
Disagree, you are using one game alone to suit your argument. If we end up signing no one else then I can understand why we go for Grealish.

However, if we end up signing Sancho then that's also an additional of creative player in our squad. If one of Pogba or Bruno injured, we'll have Sancho as our creative player in the team. Neither both Lingard & Pereira will be starting together against Norwich if we have Sancho in our team.

If you think providing backup for Pogba & Bruno are so important then you might want to consider signing a centre back is as important or more important than signing Grealish, because if Maguire is injured, we will be screwed and left with Lindelof & 3 injury prone & unreliable centre back. Do you really want to see Jones or pair of Lindelof & Bailly starting?

At the end of the day Grealish isn't a must signing imo if we are going to sign Sancho. And we can use the money on other position that we need more. If we can sign Sancho, CB & Grealish all together in this window, good then I doubt anyone will complain.

croadyman

We could do with Alaba and Lahm also. Sure they're gonna be expensive, but our FB covers are shite.
My gut feeling is that Williams & Laird are the FB covers,still feel Utd's top priorities in this window are RW, AM (cover) & up and coming CB (dependant on getting a couple out)

Reckon we will monitor the DM situation next season and could certainly see us bringing in striker when Ighalo goes back

Last edited:

jamesjimmybyrondean

Look at Oles recent comments on our spending this window. Whether it's VdB or Grealish or Havertz do people really think we are going to spend 40m plus for a player to sit on the bench especially in this current circumstance? We can all talk about how it's a squad game and there are 100 matches a season but in the end when all of Rashford Bruno and Pogba are fit.. he's on the bench. It's like how we all know nobody is starting ahead of Mane and Salah at Liverpool.

Genuine question what teams have spent 40m plus on a player that is entering his prime to be on the bench?

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
I won’t go for Grealish to be honest, he is least of my priority. We don’t have unlimited fund to spend 300m this summer, our top priority should be RWF>DM>CB>LB>AM backup

RMF - Sancho 100m
DM - 50-60m (Matic is our only real option, both Fred and Mctominay is box to box type rather than DM anchor, or otherwise we can’t fully utilise Pogba attack strength by keep playing him at further back)
CB - 50-70m (if Maguire is injured we are fecked)
LB - 50m
AM backup - Grealish 40-60m (don’t really need him to be honest, we have Bruno and Pogba, there no place left for Grealish for most of his prime career here, unless he doesn’t mind to play “Romero” role for us and become mainly a cup competition player in the early rounds. Let’s face it, he is only there to backup for Bruno)
Also, I really think Martial has been outstanding this year, we don’t need to replace him at all. Our backup options also look very fine, with Ighalo and Greenwood.

Last edited:

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
Issue is, how much is he going to cost and is he happy sitting on the bench?

Further, how versitile a midfielder can he be? IE can he move around all parts of the midfield and wide positions or is he strictly a cam?
He mostly plays off the left for Villa this season. Last season he was in a more central attacking position. Both seasons he's played the odd game as an actual central midfielder (in a three man midfield). Not sure how he'd go on the right but I would expect he'd at least be comfortably better than Mata, Lingard and Pereira.

I think the hope with Grealish is that if Villa get relegated we can sign him for cheap for a player of his ability. Hopefully not much more than 40m. And once he is here he wouldn't just be sitting on the bench. He'd start a hell of a lot of games through natural rotation, injuries and form. Yes he'd obviously start off being the bench option in our strongest 11 (although he'd then be subbed on almost every game), but he's close enough to our starters that he could easily overtake them for periods of the season when he's simply playing better.

Some very short memories in here regarding Mata... Before all this shit kicked off it was here where people were saying "look how much better he plays with Bruno" and constant praise... But then look at Matic and how that's turned. The caf likes a 180.
Mata had a few decent games (none of them in the league) after about two years of very poor performances.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
My gut feeling is that Williams & Laird are the FB covers,still feel Utd's top priorities in this window are RW, AM (cover) & up and coming CB (dependant on getting a couple out)

Reckon we will monitor the DM situation next season and could certainly see us bringing in striker when Ighalo goes back
If we're gonna spend 50+m for AM cover, might as well use that to get first teamer for either FB or DM. Unless if you think United have extra money to spend on cover. Didn't Ole say that Bruno's purchase is using the Summer chest? That's another 60-75m off the fund already then.

Last edited:

UpWithRivers

I would also say we have other priorities but what I like about Grealish is his versatility. He could cover Pogba, Fernandes or Rashford. Heck I think he has been played on the right a few times in his career. Hes a captain which is a bonus and at 40 mill he would be a steal. Sell one or two or three of Lingard, Periera, Mata and you basically cover his fee.

Scholsey2004

The tabloids seem to reckon he's got a house lined up near Carrington if you believe them.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
If it's Lingard/Pereira out and Grealish in then im all for it.

Would rather have a squad player we can rely upon than 2 that we cant.

ArjenIsM3

If we're gonna spend 50+m for AM cover, might as well use that to get first teamer for either FB or DM. Unless if you think United have extra money to spend on cover. Didn't Ole say that Bruno's purchase is using the Summer chest? That's another 60-75m off the fund already then.
When did he say that?

crossy1686

career ending
When did he say that?
He didn't but the Athletic have said that they've been told it came out of the summer budget. That leaves the budget at over £150m however.

For what it's worth, I don't think people actually understand how transfers work either. Just because Grealish may cost £50m and Sancho may cost £100m that doesn't mean United will be down £150m this summer from that fund. The transfer fees are usually paid off over years with a sum paid upfront, this is why negotiations take a long time folks.

Those two transfers may cost United £50m - £80m this summer but it will be very unlikely we'd pay them both all upfront.

Woodenlung

Grealish is the player we're most likely to sign this summer. He's versatile enough to play across the midfield. Would actually prioritise his signing above all others. I don't think Sancho is an attainable target, especially if Dortmund hold out for the reported amounts.

crossy1686

career ending
Grealish is the player we're most likely to sign this summer. He's versatile enough to play across the midfield. Would actually prioritise his signing above all others. I don't think Sancho is an attainable target, especially if Dortmund hold out for the reported amounts.
Agree actually. Although Sancho will take us to the next level, we need Grealish to fill in across the midfield if any one of our first 11 is out.

El Zoido

Agree actually. Although Sancho will take us to the next level, we need Grealish to fill in across the midfield if any one of our first 11 is out.
He’s not going to come just to be a backup. Where does he fit? Should we assume Pogba is leaving?

vanderpants

classic, city come in for him and snatch him, I wonder if we ever spoke to his agent. Seems to be heading to Manchester after looking at houses there

MadMike

He’s not going to come just to be a backup. Where does he fit? Should we assume Pogba is leaving?
I guess depends on the player's character and how much he's getting paid? City have signed a few high profile players without guaranteeing them starting spot or anything. They signed a title-winner and POTY-winner in Mahrez for big money and he's been mostly used as a backup of B.Silva, Sterling, Sane (when fit). And if City are interested in Grealish, I assume it's for squad rotation as well.

Last edited:

lex talionis

I just can't see Grealish wanting to come to United to be another squad player. He fits the mold of the kind of footballer we could really use, definitely an upgrade on Pereira and Lingard, but are we really going to spend 60m+ for a squad player, and is a player of his caliber truly going to agree to spending time on the bench waiting for Bruno, Pogba, Rashford or Sancho to come off? I seriously doubt it, especially the former.

Sancho is the serious cash outlay we need to make. Despite Greenwood's incredible potential, he's still only 18 now and would suit us best in a supporting role for another season, unless he's able to push Martial aside. But hole Sancho fills is too great to ignore, and ignore it we'd have to if we spend the roughly 60m it would take to bring him in.

But there is a need for a player like Grealish. Better to spend what remains in the budget (I assume it's not going to be anywhere near 150m total this summer) on Cantwell, who I suspect can be procured for 25m. There's a gap between Grealish and Cantwell, but we're looking to fill a squad position and not a starting XI position and Cantwell fits the bill perfectly. As it looks certain that Gomes will be leaving OT, and there remains no doubt that Lingard just doesn't have what it takes, the need to address cover for Bruno/Pogba is real -- Mata can still do a job at times but he's in decline, but we just can't spend the kind of cash it would take to bring in Grealish while addressing a more pressing need at RW -- Jadon Sancho. Do Sancho for 80m+ and Cantwell for 25m+. What to do about a CB partner for Maguire I'm not sure, but that's a less pressing concern than RW and backup 10.

Unless, of course, we are selling Pogba this summer. In which case, we'll have more than enough to spend on Sancho and Grealish and still address 1 or 2 other less pressing but still important needs.

red woppit

Supports
Northampton Town
If you believe the media, Grealish is going to purchase a house somewhere near Manchester, although I rarely believe anything that is in the media, this seems to have legs. It seems to me that Grealish has definitely told Villa that he will be on his way at the end of the season, and his agent has possibly got good feedback from United and City, and possibly Pool to say they are interested. I think United will go for Grealish if Sancho doesn't come, but I don't think we can go for both. It will be an interesting summer window.

El Zoido

No one's guaranteed a first team start at United. Pogba will leave next season if not this one, so would you rather we wait and scramble next summer?
I’m not making an argument for or against, it was just an observation. I like Grealish a lot and would be happy if he joined us, though if it was between him and Sancho, I’d rather Sancho. Grealish won’t do another year at Villa so I’d imagine it’s this summer or never for him to come to United.

crossy1686

career ending
If you believe the media, Grealish is going to purchase a house somewhere near Manchester, although I rarely believe anything that is in the media, this seems to have legs. It seems to me that Grealish has definitely told Villa that he will be on his way at the end of the season, and his agent has possibly got good feedback from United and City, and possibly Pool to say they are interested. I think United will go for Grealish if Sancho doesn't come, but I don't think we can go for both. It will be an interesting summer window.
There was a strong undercurrent of rumours doing the rounds the day after the ill-fated driving a friend home drunk party, that the party only happened because he'd agreed terms to join United. His fee is negotiable depending on if Villa stay up or not.

TheHeya

Delph, Rodwel and Johnson situation and only bought to fill English quota. Will be sold to Watford in 4 years

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
Are we talking about him as a direct replacement to David Silva?

If so I believe Grealish has nowhere near the consistent level of passing and creativity needed to fulfill the same role. I also believe he has never shown at the top level the ability to create as a No10 in the PL.

tjb

Are we talking about him as a direct replacement to David Silva?

If so I believe Grealish has nowhere near the consistent level of passing and creativity needed to fulfill the same role. I also believe he has never shown at the top level the ability to create as a No10 in the PL.
That's what fans constantly say about players from the lower end of the table like Mane. Grealish is really good, I can't understand the tripe I see here regarding his quality at times. If people have been looking closely, they will also notice that he has been playing on the right recently for Villa and has always constantly swapped flanks. He is an ideal fit for us because we require more creative dribblers in the team which is what he is.

Yagami

Good post resistant
I said last year he'd be a great replacement for D.Silva.

When played in central midfield, Jack is the spits of him. Even on the left he reminds me of him pre Silva's transition into an 8.

No surprise whatsoever that Pep's lining him up as a potential replacement. I hope we beat him to him. He's going to be great at a top team.

croadyman

That's what fans constantly say about players from the lower end of the table like Mane. Grealish is really good, I can't understand the tripe I see here regarding his quality at times. If people have been looking closely, they will also notice that he has been playing on the right recently for Villa and has always constantly swapped flanks. He is an ideal fit for us because we require more creative dribblers in the team which is what he is.
Yeah I think he will offer a lot to this team and can see him proving a lot of doubters wrong if we could get him. I do get where people are coming from with concerns about his the off the field antics though

Wouldn't surprise me if that City link today is Villa trying to call Utd's bluff on how serious we are about signing him this summer.

Jack has always said Old Trafford is his favourite ground and got a great reception from the stretford end after that goal. I would like to think that means something but who knows.

There was a story over the weekend that he had bought a place in the greater Manchester area so sounds like he is already sorting his future after Villa go down.

Last edited:

tjb

Yeah I think he will offer a lot to this team and can see him proving a lot of doubters wrong if we could get him. I do get where people are coming from with concerns about his the off the field antics though

Wouldn't surprise me if that City link today is Villa trying to call Utd's bluff on how serious we are about signing him this summer.

Jack has always said Old Trafford is his favourite ground and got a great reception from the stretford end after that goal. I would like to think that means something but who knows.

There was a story over the weekend that he had bought a place in the greater Manchester area so sounds like he is already sorting his future after Villa go down.
I understand if this was mainly about off field antics. The problem I have with this is our fans seem to look down on premier league talent outside the top 6 until they go abroad or to a big club and cost 100m. It's an annoying theme that constantly happens. Even players as good as Mahrez and Mane were looked down on.

This is a player that has a unique dribbling ability that enables him to create chances and hold on the ball. We barely have players that can do either, talk less of both. Yet you have people here saying that 40m is the max they would drop for him despite the fact that he's miles better than players like Fred. I do not believe Sancho is twice the player he is and if give a similar opportunity my guess is that he could equal Sancho' s production ( not goals and assists but effectiveness), yet we are holding our noses up at him.

We also need to start investing more in lower end of the table to championship players to fill out our squad. Poach the quality out of relegation threatened teams for depth rather than waiting on players like Lingard to try and develop to that level. Most of the time,they never do

Status
Not open for further replies.