Jack Grealish / signs new 5 year contract

Status
Not open for further replies.

croadyman

I understand if this was mainly about off field antics. The problem I have with this is our fans seem to look down on premier league talent outside the top 6 until they go abroad or to a big club and cost 100m. It's an annoying theme that constantly happens. Even players as good as Mahrez and Mane were looked down on.

This is a player that has a unique dribbling ability that enables him to create chances and hold on the ball. We barely have players that can do either, talk less of both. Yet you have people here saying that 40m is the max they would drop for him despite the fact that he's miles better than players like Fred. I do not believe Sancho is twice the player he is and if give a similar opportunity my guess is that he could equal Sancho' s production ( not goals and assists but effectiveness), yet we are holding our noses up at him.

We also need to start investing more in lower end of the table to championship players to fill out our squad. Poach the quality out of relegation threatened teams for depth rather than waiting on players like Lingard to try and develop to that level. Most of the time,they never do
Yeah you are right about Mane being looked down on by some fans when LVG wanted him in 2014. He has certainly proved many wrong since he moved to Liverpool.

I have been a fan of Grealish since he burst on the scene in 2015 with that performance in FA Cup semi final against the scousers.

Was also impressed by how he handled that crazed fan who attacked him during the Brum v Villa game. He could have let that affect the rest of his game but he stepped up and scored the winning goal.

Whether he is capable of making that step up to international level well that remains to be seen.

beingshe7don

I understand if this was mainly about off field antics. The problem I have with this is our fans seem to look down on premier league talent outside the top 6 until they go abroad or to a big club and cost 100m. It's an annoying theme that constantly happens. Even players as good as Mahrez and Mane were looked down on.

This is a player that has a unique dribbling ability that enables him to create chances and hold on the ball. We barely have players that can do either, talk less of both. Yet you have people here saying that 40m is the max they would drop for him despite the fact that he's miles better than players like Fred. I do not believe Sancho is twice the player he is and if give a similar opportunity my guess is that he could equal Sancho' s production ( not goals and assists but effectiveness), yet we are holding our noses up at him.

We also need to start investing more in lower end of the table to championship players to fill out our squad. Poach the quality out of relegation threatened teams for depth rather than waiting on players like Lingard to try and develop to that level. Most of the time,they never do
Grealish, Cantwell, Buendia, David Brooks, Benrahma, Kalvin Phillips are some of the players to consider. Some of who could be acquired on the cheap.

tjb

Grealish, Cantwell, Buendia, David Brooks, Benrahma, Kalvin Phillips are some of the players to consider. Some of who could be acquired on the cheap.
Buendia, Brooks, Kalvin Phillips ( not sure on this since Leeds are coming back and they are going to be so annoying about it)

gajender

Unpopular opinion but if we end buying Grealish he would prove to be great success and eventually displace Fernandes from first 11 if Pogba stays long term with United.

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
That's what fans constantly say about players from the lower end of the table like Mane. Grealish is really good, I can't understand the tripe I see here regarding his quality at times. If people have been looking closely, they will also notice that he has been playing on the right recently for Villa and has always constantly swapped flanks. He is an ideal fit for us because we require more creative dribblers in the team which is what he is.
There’s a big difference between being as good as David Silva has been arguably City’s best midfielder over the decade and being a very good player.

When have you ever seen me make a disparaging comment about his quality? He’s a very good player but he’s not David Silva level.

Grealish has not consistently played CAM in a top league or RW since 2014 for Notts County.

You’re getting confused by someone having a free role in a team and that being his actual position.

My issue has and always will be his off-field antics. Ole said he doesn’t want arseholes and Grealish fits firmly into that bracket.

He’s a very good player but also consider the context we find ourselves in. We hopefully are going to buy Sancho to add to Bruno. That’s going to cost upwards of £87m with add ons (I know not all upfront) if Villa get relegated I can’t see Jack staying on he’s done his time there and been more than a good enough servant but if the fee for him if let’s say £60m do you pay it? I’d say no.

If you could pick him up for £30-40m and guarantee he wouldn’t be a knob off the pitch itd be a great signing but I think he’s too stupid and immature to care about his clubs image and he’s a self centred individual.

Rashford devoted lockdown to feeding vulnerable children in the UK meanwhile Grealish got bored had a party at his mates, got drunk, smashed into several cars and then ran off before the police could breathalyse him.

I know which player Id be proud of and love to see in the United shirt.

dal

If we cant buy sancho then get Grealish. I'm not one for panic buying if we don't get our target but he ticks so many boxes it would be hard not to sign him.

I'm not saying he would start however he would give us options through the middle and on the right.

James, Rashford, Martial, Grealish, Greenwood, Bruno, Pogba, Ighalo. I'd take that, I really would.

Options on the left would be 1, Greenwood, 2, Grealish, 3 Bruno 4, James, Not perfect but it would certainly do.

The more I think about it the more I wouldn't mind not signing sancho if we got grealish.

Also I like Grealish's commitment, Sancho has kicked off quite a bit at Dortmund also.

Suvvernmanc

For anyone saying we need a proper DM over a player like Grealish, do you think think Matic is a proper DM? He plays better on the front foot and backing our AMs higher up the pitch. Our style in recent times suits Matic in this position but against teams that dominate possession we would then need a Fred/Mctominay type player in that position as they break up play and defend well like we saw before the break when we Fred and Mctominay played a masterclass in the city/chelsea games.

In a 2 or 3 man midfield, we actually have good numbers for the position that Matic plays. I call it a standard CM not a DM. Fred, Mctominay, Matic and Pogba. This actually leaves us looking for another player to play as an #8/10. Grealish is perfect for us right now with Matic needing to be replaced in the future.

romufc

For anyone saying we need a proper DM over a player like Grealish, do you think think Matic is a proper DM? He plays better on the front foot and backing our AMs higher up the pitch. Our style in recent times suits Matic in this position but against teams that dominate possession we would then need a Fred/Mctominay type player in that position as they break up play and defend well like we saw before the break when we Fred and Mctominay played a masterclass in the city/chelsea games.

In a 2 or 3 man midfield, we actually have good numbers for the position that Matic plays. I call it a standard CM not a DM. Fred, Mctominay, Matic and Pogba. This actually leaves us looking for another player to play as an #8/10. Grealish is perfect for us right now with Matic needing to be replaced in the future.
I think we need Grealish type player.

I also do think Matic is a DM. If you watch Matic play, he sits right inbetween the CB's when we build from the back allowing us to have control of the game. Just because he is a DM, that doesn't mean he wont find himself up the pitch when we have teams that sit back.

It's just that before Pogba and Bruno, Scott and Fred could afford a bad game and still play the next game. Post lockdown they have come back to a harsh new United. They have been poor in the games they have played because other players have started much better.

Pogba, Bruno and Matic have all started better, Fred and McTominay have to step up if they want to get back in the team.

Grealish is needed and no one needs more evidence than the Norwich game. When we rest Rashford, Pogba, Greenwood etc, the drop in quality is enormous.

These players wont be fit all next season, when we need a player to replace Pogba, Bruno, Rashford then we cannot rely on Lingard and Perreira as the drop in quality is too much in comparison to say a Grealish.

Andersons Dietician

For me this really depends on price. I think he’d be a good addition to the squad. Certainly an upgrade on Lingard,Mata and Perreria as well as being able to probably compete with Bruno and Pogba just to keep them honest.
He can also play off the left if needed but does he want to go from Captain playing every 90 mins to being a squad option. I’m sure there will be enough games to go around but will he settle for say 25-30 games.

Maybe he thinks he can come in and is good enough to displace Pogba or Bruno but again if it comes down to 80mil I’d probably rather have a crack at getting Havertz.

If it’s 40-50mil though then it’s a no brainer, bring him in.

abkmufc92

I really don't see it with this player, the only reason we after him is because he is English.

van de Beek would be a much better option and would be much cheaper than Grealish.

jamesjimmybyrondean

If we get him where do you think would our midfield should rank among Top Europen clubs and top Pl clubs?

Juve - Arthur Rabiot Matuidi Bentancur Ramsey Khedira

PSG - Verratti Paredes Gueye Herrera Draxler

Madrid - Kroos Modric Rodriguez Isco Valverde Casemiro

Barcelona - Busquets Pjanic De Jong Vidal Rakitic Puig

Bayern - Cuisance Martinez Thiago Goretzka Kimmich

Chelsea - Ziyech Mount Kante Jorginho Kovacic Gilmour RLC

Liverpool - Henderson Keita Winjaldum Milner Fabinho Lallana

City - B.Silva De Bruyne Rodri Fernandinho Gundogan Foden

United - Matic Mctominay Fred Bruno Grealish Pogba

croadyman

For me this really depends on price. I think he’d be a good addition to the squad. Certainly an upgrade on Lingard,Mata and Perreria as well as being able to probably compete with Bruno and Pogba just to keep them honest.
He can also play off the left if needed but does he want to go from Captain playing every 90 mins to being a squad option. I’m sure there will be enough games to go around but will he settle for say 25-30 games.

Maybe he thinks he can come in and is good enough to displace Pogba or Bruno but again if it comes down to 80mil I’d probably rather have a crack at getting Havertz.

If it’s 40-50mil though then it’s a no brainer, bring him in.
I honestly believe we are capable of getting him for around £50m but only if Villa get relegated. If they somehow did a WBA of 2005 then expect us to switch our focus on to Van Der Beek

ShinjiNinja26

I dunno why folk don’t want him. I think he’s quality, and if we could get him on the cheap if Villa go down to replace Lingard/Pereira it would be a great bit of business. He’s the level of squad option we need if we’re looking to get back to the top. It was clear to see against Norwich the gap between our first choice and squad players is huge, if we were able to start players of Grealish’s quality in games like that it would make a big difference.

Andersons Dietician

I honestly believe we are capable of getting him for around £50m but only if Villa get relegated. If they somehow did a WBA of 2005 then expect us to switch our focus on to Van Der Beek
Yeah he’d be another one that would be good. I’m not gonna mind a bit if we get either. Think both are an improvement and seem like the right kind of hardworking characters that won’t shrink away from hardships.

In an ideal world Sancho 80-100 mil then Grealish or VDB for 40-50mil. I’d be happy with that then other positions can wait to be looked at again.

abkmufc92

Based on what exactly ?
I don't know, playing well for Ajax might have something to do with it.

I've seen reports that have quoted £35 mill for van de Beek and upwards of £50 mill for Grealish, he isn't worth anywhere near that.

crossy1686

career ending

I've seen reports that have quoted £35 mill for van de Beek and upwards of £50 mill for Grealish, he isn't worth anywhere near that.
Real Madrid pulled the plug on a £47m deal, not £35m. So what do you want? A lad that's never played PL football for £50m or a lad that's looked pretty good in the PL for £50m?

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Grealish is a classy technical player who would without any doubt improve the squad.

Just can't see a captain and star player of a side move to be a squad player.

We might occasionally be able to get away with all three of him Pogba and Bruno in one team. He might sometimes play left or right.
But realistically he'd be cover or rotate.
Unless we change to some sort of diamond with 4 centre mids.

crossy1686

career ending
Grealish is a classy technical player who would without any doubt improve the squad.

Just can't see a captain and star player of a side move to be a squad player.

We might occasionally be able to get away with all three of him Pogba and Bruno in one team. He might sometimes play left or right.
But realistically he'd be cover or rotate.
Unless we change to some sort of diamond with 4 centre mids.
If we're in all competitions they all can't play 2 - 3 times a week. If Grealish gets to play at least 90 minutes a week does that make him backup? I think we're all forgetting we used to have Solskjaer, Sheringham, Cole and Yorke all vying for 2 positions, or Ronaldo, Rooney, Tevez and Berbabtov/Nistelrooy vying for the same.

When you're playing 60 game a season there is no backup. Everyone is a squad player, including Bruno and Pogba.

El-Manos

So does Grealish for villa :lol: Not much of an argument to prove he’s a better player. Eredivisie isn’t on the same level as the premier league. Grealish is captain for villa and by far their best player.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
If we're in all competitions they all can't play 2 - 3 times a week. If Grealish gets to play at least 90 minutes a week does that make him backup? I think we're all forgetting we used to have Solskjaer, Sheringham, Cole and Yorke all vying for 2 positions, or Ronaldo, Rooney, Tevez and Berbabtov/Nistelrooy vying for the same.

When you're playing 60 game a season there is no backup. Everyone is a squad player, including Bruno and Pogba.
In a way yes, but there's a very obvious set of essential players in the team, of which Pogba, Bruno, Martial, Rashford, Maguire, Wan Bissaka, Shaw, De Gea make up.
They play all the main games. Grealish might not fancy his chances on that basis.

The bigger issue I think is that we're certainly not going to be paying the 50-60m he'll cost when we need to bring in starters first.

romufc

Grealish is playing well for Villa.

You can see from the type of player he is, the united shirt will not faze him. He has played PL and knows the league.

Stookie

Nurse bell end
I really don't see it with this player, the only reason we after him is because he is English.

van de Beek would be a much better option and would be much cheaper than Grealish.
I’m pretty sure that’s not the only reason United want him. I’m English, I wonder if they’re after me?

tomaldinho1

Unpopular opinion but if we end buying Grealish he would prove to be great success and eventually displace Fernandes from first 11 if Pogba stays long term with United.
Popular opinion: Grealish is just Morten Gamst Pedersen's regen

sherrinford

Are we talking about him as a direct replacement to David Silva?

If so I believe Grealish has nowhere near the consistent level of passing and creativity needed to fulfill the same role. I also believe he has never shown at the top level the ability to create as a No10 in the PL.
In terms of quality, it’s absolutely fair think of him as a downgrade on David Silva, but there’s a big difference between that and seeing him as a ‘woeful’ replacement.

Stylistically he’s not far away - though Silva is a more creative passer, Grealish does have a playmaker’s brain. He is similarly assured on the ball - very calm under pressure and very rational in his choices, which places him in the mould of a Silva or Iniesta as opposed to a De Bruyne or Gerrard.

Positionally there’s really no question that Grealish is suitable for the role that David Silva has played in Guardiola’s side - his position in the Villa side last season is about as close as you’ll get. The argument that he hasn’t proven he can play centrally in a top league is very weak - he has proven this season he can play at that level, and at this point it’s well established that he excels in a no.8 or no.10 position (and in the one game I have seen him deployed as a no.10 this season he was the best player on the pitch).

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
In terms of quality, it’s absolutely fair think of him as a downgrade on David Silva, but there’s a big difference between that and seeing him as a ‘woeful’ replacement.

Stylistically he’s not far away - though Silva is a more creative passer, Grealish does have a playmaker’s brain. He is similarly assured on the ball - very calm under pressure and very rational in his choices, which places him in the mould of a Silva or Iniesta as opposed to a De Bruyne or Gerrard.

Positionally there’s really no question that Grealish is suitable for the role that David Silva has played in Guardiola’s side - his position in the Villa side last season is about as close as you’ll get. The argument that he hasn’t proven he can play centrally in a top league is very weak - he has proven this season he can play at that level, and at this point it’s well established that he excels in a no.8 or no.10 position (and in the one game I have seen him deployed as a no.10 this season he was the best player on the pitch).
I disagree about positionally proving he’s good enough to take Silvas position. Sane in the LW absolutely.

I think you’d really see the difference in passing quality which is what City need more than a dribbler.

KChucky88

in my heart i want he join Man Utd but in my head i am afraid he will join Man City due to Sane join Bayern Munich

croadyman

Hopefully Woody saw tonight how big that drop off was when Pogba & Bruno got subbed.

That is why we simply have to sign Grealish before City get there first,failing that then go and get Van Der beek but certainly need one of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.