Jack Grealish / signs new 5 year contract

Status
Not open for further replies.

sherrinford

I disagree about positionally proving he’s good enough to take Silvas position. Sane in the LW absolutely.

I think you’d really see the difference in passing quality which is what City need more than a dribbler.
As I said I don’t really see how it’s debatable when he has came into this season off the back of what was widely regarded as the best season of his career, and in which he was considered to have matured as a player and was appointed captain, playing in essentially the same (but slightly less extreme) role that Silva has played in for this Man City team once Smith came in as manager (in October).

If anything, Grealish is more proven in performing the requirements of the Silva role than the Sane role at City - the obligation to stretch the pitch from the left wing in Guardiola’s side is at odds with how Grealish has interpreted that position. He likes that inside left area, wants the ball into feet and wants options and runners around him - in City’s side that is certainly the left-of-centre no.8 position.

I think you would see a dip in quality purely because Silva was a fantastic player. Grealish does hold onto the ball for longer than your typical playmaker but he is an excellent passer. I’m not sure why you think they would need more of a ‘passer’ than he is - ultimately he excels at progressing the play from that area which is exactly what’s needed.

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
As I said I don’t really see how it’s debatable when he has came into this season off the back of what was widely regarded as the best season of his career, and in which he was considered to have matured as a player and was appointed captain, playing in essentially the same (but slightly less extreme) role that Silva has played in for this Man City team once Smith came in as manager (in October).

If anything, Grealish is more proven in performing the requirements of the Silva role than the Sane role at City - the obligation to stretch the pitch from the left wing in Guardiola’s side is at odds with how Grealish has interpreted that position. He likes that inside left area, wants the ball into feet and wants options and runners around him - in City’s side that is certainly the left-of-centre no.8 position.

I think you would see a dip in quality purely because Silva was a fantastic player. Grealish does hold onto the ball for longer than your typical playmaker but he is an excellent passer. I’m not sure why you think they would need more of a ‘passer’ than he is - ultimately he excels at progressing the play from that area which is exactly what’s needed.
Best season in the championship. Plenty have shone in the championship in central roles and struggled to replicate it in the PL. Taraabt anyone?

Grealish has excelled at LW with freedom to do what he wants. He won’t get that same freedom at a bigger club equally though he’ll be better supported. It’s absolutely debatable as he’s never consistently shown a level of quality in Silvas position.

Grealish is a far better progressive dribbler than he is passer. Maddison is a better example of a progressive passer. Being more of a dribbler is one of the key reasons he’s been played out wide with a free role because he has the time and space to progress the ball. He’s struggled in the PL in central areas and Smith has admitted he’s best out wide for Villa even if Jack thinks he’s a No10.

I would expect him to do well at City but he is not the perfect David Silva replacement and it’s disrespectful to an outstanding player to suggest a good championship season and good pl season as a winger make him perfect. He would be a significant drop in quality especially from a creative and controlling stand point. Silva is much more than just a passer he can dictate too.

I like Grealish as a player but you’re overrating him if you think he’ll replace Silva perfectly.

croadyman

Hopefully when it comes to deciding where to go Jack remembers who gave him a great reception for that goal in December.

He says that Old Trafford is his favourite away ground well come and play here regularly if that's the case.

Yes Pep is a better coach than Ole but come and join a project that is building something

croadyman

Do we actually need him?
After seeing the big drop off in the last two games from our first choice team without any shadow of a doubt we do. Believe me if he ends up going to City we will regret not signing him when we had the chance. He would definitely flourish playing with Pogba, Bruno, Martial and can also make things happen with that ability to beat players he possesses

My only concern is we probably can't do that until we sell some players first as don't see us currently having a budget for him & Sancho.

Last edited:

Nickelodeon

Did you see the impact Pereria coming on for Bruno had last night? I'd say we need him as much as we need Sancho
Agreed. We need better than Pereira. But I don't think that spending millions on Grealish is worth it since his primary role would be as cover.

Our priority should be a RW to give better cover to MMM.

Nickelodeon

After seeing our drop off from Pogba & Bruno without any shadow of a doubt we do. Believe me if he ends up going to City we will regret not signing him when we had the chance.

My only concern is we probably can't do that until we sell some players first and don't see a budget for him & Sancho.
Hopefully we can raise 10-15 million by selling off Lingard, Pereira and Mata.

Motorman

I've seen him from the right a few times this season. Granted he does float around but he would be comfortable in our rotating front 4 IMO.

I still think a midfield of Grealish Bruno and Pogba would be excellent. With Matic, McTominay and Fred making the squad.

The point is being able to rotate and not having a massive drop off in quality.

If we get Sancho too, our squad really does step up in depth which is ultimately what will hold us back (if we don't get depth).

Hanky panky

Did you see the impact Pereria coming on for Bruno had last night? I'd say we need him as much as we need Sancho
I have been thinking about same. But this is the right answer. Our starting 11 (or 10/11 or 9/11) start to be quite ok but we need depth. Take to bench few players and we are middle table team. Sancho and Grealish in and we are ready for next season. Unfortunately i dont believe they both are coming.

crossy1686

career ending
Agreed. We need better than Pereira. But I don't think that spending millions on Grealish is worth it since his primary role would be as cover.

Our priority should be a RW to give better cover to MMM.
Well our transfer options are, we spend millions on Grealish who can play the same positions as Pogba, Bruno and Rashford, probably Greenwood also if asked. Or we spend millions on someone like Dan James and hope they come good in a couple of seasons, or Dan James himself improves massively over next season.

And I keep hearing about Grealish being cover, but it's not the case. Rashford isn't exactly firing on all cylinders at the moment and if we had Grealish I'd put Rashford on the bench until he found form again, same applies for Pogba and Bruno. It's a squad game and any one of those players could find themselves on the bench if we have a player like Grealish competing for places. It's competition, not cover, they're very different things.

Giggs' right foot

But I don't think that spending millions on Grealish is worth it since his primary role would be as cover.
Sure, for me a RW i THE must, but a Grealish would be such an important investment.

He won't be offered Rashford's, Pogba's or Bruno's place in the general starting lineup over the course of a season - you're right there, but a mere 15-20% of the games from each of those players amounts to 45-60% of our games - I definitely think he'll take that, and it will offer a needed breathing space for Pogba, Rashford and Bruno in a season that easily amounts to 60 games.

SirAnderson

Well our transfer options are, we spend millions on Grealish who can play the same positions as Pogba, Bruno and Rashford, probably Greenwood also if asked. Or we spend millions on someone like Dan James and hope they come good in a couple of seasons, or Dan James himself improves massively over next season.

And I keep hearing about Grealish being cover, but it's not the case. Rashford isn't exactly firing on all cylinders at the moment and if we had Grealish I'd put Rashford on the bench until he found form again, same applies for Pogba and Bruno. It's a squad game and any one of those players could find themselves on the bench if we have a player like Grealish competing for places. It's competition, not cover, they're very different things.
Uhm last I checked, you can't find form on the bench...but in actually playing.
Besides, not firing on all cylinders vs being useless is very different things entirely.
He just had 2 assists recently, you can't expect every single game for him to be magically.
Regardless, having a full squad of quality players is a must for our club and trust that Ole will figure out the best rotation and use of the players at his disposal.

Walters_19_MuFc

At the moment, if one of our front four were to get injured, we have Mata, Lingard, Pereira and James to bring in.

I was pretty vocal about not having a player like Grealish on the bench, but the options above don't really fill me with confidence, and we saw that against Norwich.

I think if we want to be back at the level we want to be at, getting in players like Grealish will be the way to go.

I'd go as far as getting him and Sancho, with a striker to replace Ighalo when his loan ends.

crossy1686

career ending
Uhm last I checked, you can't find form on the bench...but in actually playing.
Besides, not firing on all cylinders vs being useless is very different things entirely.
He just had 2 assists recently, you can't expect every single game for him to be magically.
Regardless, having a full squad of quality players is a must for our club and trust that Ole will figure out the best rotation and use of the players at his disposal.
Coming off the bench would be good for Rashford right now. He's doing fine but he's snatching at chances and looks a little low on confidence.

Ace of Spades

It does not need to be Grealish specifically, but just another option for sure, as the drop from Bruno to our bench is very large. Grealish would be fine, but if Villa are asking too much then try someone else.

The RW should be the big priority first.

Zoo

Tim Sherwood:

‘I think Jack Grealish is a deal which is already done,’ Sherwood told Premier League Productions.

‘He’s a player that they [Manchester United] need. I honestly believe there’s only one club for Jack Grealish.

Pushed further on his claim, Sherwood said it was inevitable that Grealish would move to the Theatre of Dreams.

‘I don’t think he can stay at Aston Villa, he needs to progress his career. I think he signs for Manchester United.’

Gerald G

If we can get him for £40m, I'd be happy. I'd love a ball-carrying midfielder at the club and we don't really have one at the moment. I wouldn't pay over £40m for someone that looks like he wouldn't actually start for us unless we change the formation, or if we have injuries to first choice players. In our current formation, he can play in the #10 role or on the left - but I wouldn't currently start him ahead of Rash or Bruno

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag

Some people seem don't understand about what type of playmaker Silva is. His passing style is more of an advanced playmaker role rather than someone who plays deep like Scholes, Xavi, Carrick & Pirlo or even Bruno who is a no 10 but have a passing ability as a deep playmaker. If anything, his passing style is more identical to Grealish.

Pep definitely would rather have someone like Xavi or Scholes but the key is not about passing only but about being intelligent, great movement & being technical player at the same time to be able to retain possession & execute the final ball. The only reason why Grealish is playing on the left because Aston Villa doesn't have quality on the wing. Lot of people even Villa fans see his potential as a no 10.

However, rather than Silva or Sane, I think if Pep is going to sign Grealish, Grealish will be given the same role as Bernardo Silva. Which is playing in two roles winger or in midfield 3.

I see Foden to play midfield in regular basis for future while Grealish will provide depth squad for two positions like Bernardo Silva does. Either way, the manager will have lot of option for his midfield if Foden isn't ready and at the same time he'll have a player to provide backup for Sterling.

jesperjaap

If we're in all competitions they all can't play 2 - 3 times a week. If Grealish gets to play at least 90 minutes a week does that make him backup? I think we're all forgetting we used to have Solskjaer, Sheringham, Cole and Yorke all vying for 2 positions, or Ronaldo, Rooney, Tevez and Berbabtov/Nistelrooy vying for the same.

When you're playing 60 game a season there is no backup. Everyone is a squad player, including Bruno and Pogba.
Exactly. Though I actually think others will be proved wrong as I see him becoming much more than a squad player for us. I also think he appears to have a level of supreme confidence in himself that people saying he wont want to move from being club captain to squad player are correct, but he wont see himself as becoming a squad player so that is irrelevant.
Also if he does just become a squad player, that is no bad thing. As you mentioned we have had several huge talents that have played a squad role and this is also the case for several premiership clubs currently too.
Even from the bench he offers far more quality than our current back up options in several positions and on top of that he offers us something we dont currently have with his dribbling ability from a standing start. Also of course he has premiership experience, we know he can play premiership football. Regardless of whether or not VDB or other names mentioned are better (which I dont think they are, quite th eopposite), there are no guarantees they can adapt to the English game, Grealish doesnt have to.

jesperjaap

He'd warm the bench at most at United.

Big fish in a small pond.
Time will tell, but he has performed better in this small pond than the majority of our sharks this season. He has been one of the best players in the league. "Warm the bench at most" deary me, who pushes him from the seven subs on the bench exactly then?

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Tim Sherwood:

‘I think Jack Grealish is a deal which is already done,’ Sherwood told Premier League Productions.

‘He’s a player that they [Manchester United] need. I honestly believe there’s only one club for Jack Grealish.

Pushed further on his claim, Sherwood said it was inevitable that Grealish would move to the Theatre of Dreams.

‘I don’t think he can stay at Aston Villa, he needs to progress his career. I think he signs for Manchester United.’
He's a bit clueless. I remember in post match of Spurs game, he was wanking on Grealish that he thinks United need him to unlock defense. He later asked a question to Ryan Giggs whether Grealish is the one what United need, Giggs didn't answer his question directly about Grealish and instead Giggs spoke about the quality of Bruno & Pogba can give to help United. :lol:

Womp

idiot
On the Optus Sport PL coverage over here, they get Sherwood on quite often to cover the mathes. Guy doesn't shut the feck up about how United need Grealish. He either knows something others don't, or really is a clueless idiot.

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
Some people seem don't understand about what type of playmaker Silva is. His passing style is more of an advanced playmaker role rather than someone who plays deep like Scholes, Xavi, Carrick & Pirlo or even Bruno who is a no 10 but have a passing ability as a deep playmaker. If anything, his passing style is more identical to Grealish.

Pep definitely would rather have someone like Xavi or Scholes but the key is not about passing only but about being intelligent, great movement & being technical player at the same time to be able to retain possession & execute the final ball. The only reason why Grealish is playing on the left because Aston Villa doesn't have quality on the wing. Lot of people even Villa fans see his potential as a no 10.

However, rather than Silva or Sane, I think if Pep is going to sign Grealish, Grealish will be given the same role as Bernardo Silva. Which is playing in two roles winger or in midfield 3.

I see Foden to play midfield in regular basis for future while Grealish will provide depth squad for two positions like Bernardo Silva does. Either way, the manager will have lot of option for his midfield if Foden isn't ready and at the same time he'll have a player to provide backup for Sterling.
I understand perfectly Silvas role at City.

Grealish is not the perfect replacement as that implies identical qualities which Grealish does not have.

Good alternative would be a much better description.

Nobody has said Silva is a deep playmaker where have you plucked that from?

Grealish will not replace Silva’s passing and creative quality I will happily eat my hat on this one if proven wrong.

He’d just be a good rotation and I agree it would be more like Bernardo Silva but the opposite flank. Foden will be playing centrally I agree there with you.

Brightonian

On the Optus Sport PL coverage over here, they get Sherwood on quite often to cover the mathes. Guy doesn't shut the feck up about how United need Grealish. He either knows something others don't, or really is a clueless idiot.
He's probably aware that if he's wrong everyone will forget instantly, but if he's right and he banged on about it loudly enough he can get a rep for being ITK and parlay that into more pundit appearances etc.

jesperjaap

Glad to hear somebody say this. Everybody says he cant displace any of those players to start.

a) He may not have to, he may play alongside them
b) As talented as the three players are, only Fernandes (and over a short period of time) has been consistently excellent. The other two have had lots of periods of really poor form. I do like Rashford, he has the right mentality, pace, tricks and exciting to watch. At the same time though his performances have been sporadic, he isnt the bees knees by any means and there are no guarantees in my mind that he actually keeps his place over Grealish. Grealish as you say wouldnt be providing cover for these players, he would be providing competition, something these players havent had for far too long

sport2793

He's a bit clueless. I remember in post match of Spurs game, he was wanking on Grealish that he thinks United need him to unlock defense. He later asked a question to Ryan Giggs whether Grealish is the one what United need, Giggs didn't answer his question directly about Grealish and instead Giggs spoke about the quality of Bruno & Pogba can give to help United. :lol:
To be fair this matches up with other ITK info out there. Don't think it's a secret that United want Grealish.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
To be fair this matches up with other ITK info out there. Don't think it's a secret that United want Grealish.
I'm not sure how is that related to Sherwood's comment. The guy literally ignored Bruno & Pogba ability to unlock defense. If Grealish comes here, he's likely to play as Bruno & Pogba backup. However the way how he wanked on the player is like he's going to be our key player.

sport2793

I'm not sure how is that related to Sherwood's comment. The guy literally ignored Bruno & Pogba ability to unlock defense. If Grealish comes here, he's likely to play as Bruno & Pogba backup. However the way how he wanked on the player is like he's going to be our key player.
Oh I thought you were talking about how reliable/unreliable Sherwood is with regards to Grealish changing clubs. Ya if he's saying that Grealish would start ahead of those two then that probably highlights why he is no longer in management. Will still say that we need Grealish as a squad option in case either get injured.

Tony247

Tim Sherwood claiming the deal is already agreed. It is now just a formality.

JuriM

If Aston Villa get relegated and he is on the market, we should make a a move. It's a long season ahead and up to 60 games, fresh legs in squad are never a bad idea. He seems like a lad who could really add the extra missing spark at some tough low block teams.

Slysi17

Tim Sherwood claiming the deal is already agreed. It is now just a formality.
He could be spouting bollocks. He just said he thinks the deal will happen. Didn't confirm it at all. Just read the article.

AneRu

Oh I thought you were talking about how reliable/unreliable Sherwood is with regards to Grealish changing clubs. Ya if he's saying that Grealish would start ahead of those two then that probably highlights why he is no longer in management. Will still say that we need Grealish as a squad option in case either get injured.
I don't think its sensible to spend a fee north of £50m for a squad option when we have other needs in the squad. Unless if we are saying that we are giving up on the Sancho chase I don't see how we can afford to pull both deals off and still fund the signing of a DM.

And I don't think that he would accept to play second fiddle to Bruno, Pogba or Rashford nor do I see either of them being happy to lose a place to him. Whilst competition is good I think we are just at a stage where we need to dedicate our resources to upgrading our weak options in the starting line up first then look to replacing Matic.

Status
Not open for further replies.