Jack Grealish / signs new 5 year contract

Status
Not open for further replies.

Red00012

He must have been playing against us today and thinking ‘yeh, I’d love to be a part of that’. I’d take him for no more than 40 mill, if that. But I’d rather us go for Sancho and a CB first. (Well a CB if we can get rid of one or two PLUS we actually bring in quality)
He must also have be thinking I must really stand out tonight and impress Ole and co. He really didn’t doesn’t seem captain material either , half arsed performance even with Williams was on he was half Afraid of taking him on. Very disappointing performance . I’d take him for 10mill and give them Jones , Rojo and Lingard though

Ekeke

If Pogba turned around at the end of the season and demanded to leave then I'd take Grealish. He could do a job but there's question marks over his attitude. Perhaps too much of a Jack the lad.

Would prefer if we don't buy him but happy if we bought him if there was no other option.
The role Pogba is currently playing well with Fernandes in front is completely different to how Grealish plays. Pogba is looking to create with long passes, Grealish is trying to win fouls by holding onto the ball a long time and he creates with short passes more like Fernandes.

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
I'm not sure we're even interested. Why is there so much speculation about him and Maddison? Their personality, or just the nationality? Decent players but probably expensive. I think Villa might need money more than any players they can afford on wages from us but if we somehow could give them Lingard and Jones directly for instance then I'm down with Grealish.

Slysi17

Jesus, who has said that????
Generally people on here have said he could eventually get a starting spot over Bruno Fernandes which is just laughable. I have found people have really overrating him. He would never be a starter for a top 4 team.

Gerald G

Pogba is playing as one of the two midfielders in a 4-2-3-1. I don't get the "if Pogba leaves we should get Grealish shouts" - Grealish does not play there. He is most advanced in a midfield 3 or will play on the left or number 10. There's no way we'd sign Grealish and play him as one of the "2" midfielders with a number 10 ahead of him. I see him as cover for Bruno, NOT a Paul Pogba replacement or cover.

If Pogba leaves then we should target an actual CM - like Thiago for example.

RDCR07

Not a bad guy (Whale Killer)
we somehow could give them Lingard and Jones directly for instance then I'm down with Grealish.
Firstly this ain’t football manager. Secondly it looks like Villa will get relegated. Why in the hell would those two wanna play in the Championship. Thirdly they can’t even afford Grealish’s wages if they go down and yet they will somehow take on two players who average 100k a week?

Slysi17

A lot of overreaction based on today or another one off match when he completely did United in the reverse fixture. His teammates around him are crap and he's asked to do everything. He'll eventually make the step up to a much better side and will have to do a lot less but still maximize his talent for the team (e.g. Pogba), but he'll be a good starter for a midtable side looking to get a European place or a primary sub/every now and then starter in a CL club in England.
When I say he isn't good enough for Manchester United, I don't think he is rubbish. I just think a team like Spurs or Wolves would be his level. Even Arsenal too. I just don't think he has what it takes to help us win the big titles.

Slysi17

We're mugs if we splash out big money for this lad. He doesn't improve the first team, isn't that young, seems to have shown some signs of being a bit of a knob and I hate his hair.

I've heard a lot about his brilliant season in the championship last year, he only actually scored 6 goals. I don't buy the argument that he improves the overall squad because he is a bit better than Pereira and therefore it would be a good signing regardless of cost. There must be better transfer strategies than just buying the most obvious and overpriced English player around.
Reckon we should go for Donny Van De Beek instead. We would have no competition for him as Real Madrid cant afford him and I reckon he would really improve our squad. I just hope we don't go for Grealish because he's English

RDCR07

We're mugs if we splash out big money for this lad. He doesn't improve the first team, isn't that young, seems to have shown some signs of being a bit of a knob and I hate his hair.

I've heard a lot about his brilliant season in the championship last year, he only actually scored 6 goals. I don't buy the argument that he improves the overall squad because he is a bit better than Pereira and therefore it would be a good signing regardless of cost. There must be better transfer strategies than just buying the most obvious and overpriced English player around.
I understand if you don’t want him but how about we stop giving ridiculous excuses? Yesterday someone said they didn’t want him cause of the way he wears his socks. Today it’s cause of his hair. And he isn’t young? 24 isn’t young anymore? He is younger than Bruno.

Icemav

He looks like a fantasy 5-a-aside legend. Is he good enough to be a part of the team we want to build? Is he the right fit? I don't think so.

Canuckred64

I am starting to think this will not happen. With Pogba and Fernandes working well together it doesnt look like we really need Grealish. He would add very well to the depth of the squad but it may make more sense to spend the money on a greater need, like a left footed CB.

theklr

I am starting to think this will not happen. With Pogba and Fernandes working well together it doesnt look like we really need Grealish. He would add very well to the depth of the squad but it may make more sense to spend the money on a greater need, like a left footed CB.
We have more decent backup CB’s than #10’s thats for sure...

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
Firstly this ain’t football manager. Secondly it looks like Villa will get relegated. Why in the hell would those two wanna play in the Championship. Thirdly they can’t even afford Grealish’s wages if they go down and yet they will somehow take on two players who average 100k a week?
Really dumb post. You just copied and pasted my comment, removed the parts that didn't upset you, then responded to that quote with similar substance to the text you chose to remove in the first place. Pointless exercise if i ever saw one.

RDCR07

Really dumb post. You just copied and pasted my comment, removed the parts that didn't upset you, then responded to that quote with similar substance to the text you chose to remove in the first place. Pointless exercise if i ever saw one.
So you can say whatever drivel you want in your post but if I quote part of that drivel then it’s a dumb post.

beingshe7don

There's a lot of numbers being thrown around for Grealish. What is his true transfer value given the current pandemic situation? and how much would it be worth getting him for?

The Red Thinker

There's one player that comes to mind to replace Pogba positionally. Saul Niguez. Someone who can drop deep, make fine passes and do measured legwork in defence.

Grealish is a less developed, less explosive version of Fernandes.

croadyman

There's one player that comes to mind to replace Pogba positionally. Saul Niguez. Someone who can drop deep, make fine passes and do measured legwork in defence.

Dream signing but can't seem leaving Atletico with that long contract he's on

RDCR07

How are they financially? Wasn’t there talk of them needing money at some point due to Covid especially with no fan revenue and that they need to sell?

beingshe7don

I don't think we were ever in the running to get Saul Niguez. Pogba will remain and sign an extension to his contract. If we can get Grealish for 40m, I think it would be worth it.

The Red Thinker

Agreed. But if someone gets Pogba, we're charging a premium. In this financial climate, £100 million will be too good to refuse for Athletico. That is the only scenario where I feel comfortable letting Pogba go because there is noone in world football who can do what Pog does.

croadyman

I don't think we were ever in the running to get Saul Niguez. Pogba will remain and sign an extension to his contract. If we can get Grealish for 40m, I think it would be worth it.
Yeah should be £45m absolute maximum for Grealish

Varun

Staff

Saul, good as he is, has nowhere close to Pogba's passing range. It'd be a massive downgrade. He'd probably make the midfield more balanced but the Pogba Bruno duo has worked beautifully so that's not a concern.

The Red Thinker

Saul, good as he is, has nowhere close to Pogba's passing range. It'd be a massive downgrade. He'd probably make the midfield more balanced but the Pogba Bruno duo has worked beautifully so that's not a concern.
I think "massive downgrade" is an insult to Niguez, but I understand that Pogba is a superior player. Name a better player out there for the role? Centre midfielders like Modric just don't come as easily as they used to.

Davìd Moyéz

I understand if you don’t want him but how about we stop giving ridiculous excuses? Yesterday someone said they didn’t want him cause of the way he wears his socks. Today it’s cause of his hair. And he isn’t young? 24 isn’t young anymore? He is younger than Bruno.
I thought the hair point was fairly obviously a joke but there you go. Grealish is a year younger than Fernandes and in my opinion a long long way behind him as a footballer. I don't think Grealish would be significantly cheaper than Fernandes and I'm convinced there must be less expensive options out there.

Varun

Staff
I think "massive downgrade" is an insult to Niguez, but I understand that Pogba is a superior player. Name a better player out there for the role? Centre midfielders like Modric just don't come as easily as they used to.
Thiago would be a better replacement in the hypothetical scenario but it doesn't matter, Pogba will renew so it's a quality DM which we should be looking for. As far as grealish goes, he'll be back up to Pogba and Bruno if he comes which won't make a lot of sense for him.

dove

I absolutely don't get the hype around him and for the fees mentioned we should stay far away from him. If we finally manage to get rid of Lingard just to buy Graelish for £50m, it would be seriously underwhelming.

jamesjimmybyrondean

I absolutely don't get the hype around him and for the fees mentioned we should stay far away from him. If we finally manage to get rid of Lingard just to buy Graelish for £50m, it would be seriously underwhelming.
It makes no sense. I actually rate him but the price being quoted is 40m + even after relegation. It makes zero sense to spend 40m in this current market on one player to play rotation especially if we get Sancho. Grealish is good but with the way the Caf says we must get him even for 40m you'd think he's the only good creative midfielder available.

Godfather

Seriously what is it with this guy? I don't see it one bit. I must've missed something this season.
I don't get it either. Must be some kind of mancrush some have on him because he is not a very good footballer. For 25 millions max I'd probably take him as a back up option but that's it.

Fracture90

Jesus Christ, Seeing the overreaction to him on here, I would rather we overpay for him, Than see the likes of Lingard or Pereira on the bench, It was 1 game last night.
Mindless spending isn't a solution to our problem. Even if Villa goes down, him being English and overrated will set his price not below £50 million, which is way too much for a bench warmer, provided he's willing to come and be a sub. For example for that amount of money we can probably get Alaba (obviously if he's willing to come) a top class player that can cover multiple first team positions we're in need of improvement on.

YankManc

Would happily take Grealish after getting Sancho first. However, I also think we could be using that money for similar players but for half the price or going for a CB instead. My preference between Grealish or a CB is really down to how we cut out the deadwood. Mata, Lingard, Pereira vs Rojo, Smalling, Jones. Both positions need strengthening and better quality depth but I just can’t see us signing 3 players at the moment.

gajender

I don't get it either. Must be some kind of mancrush some have on him because he is not a very good footballer. For 25 millions max I'd probably take him as a back up option but that's it.
If he isn't a good footballer according to you then why on earth you would spend 25m on him that doesn't even make sense.

Godfather

If he isn't a good footballer according to you then why on earth you would spend 25m on him that doesn't even make sense.
I said he is not very good. At least I don't see him being as good as people on here make him out to be. Surely a better back up option than a Lingard or Pereira though.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
There must be far better options around Europe that would be a) Like Bruno, much more skilful and influential b) cheaper.

He's not a bad player by a long shot but he's definitely not Utd/City/'Pool etc level. He'd be perfect for leicester/Spurs...though Jose would want him to play CB and haul him off if he didn't run enough...

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
I said he is not very good. At least I don't see him being as good as people on here make him out to be. Surely a better back up option than a Lingard or Pereira though.
If that's the level and the criteria we are judging then we're never going to get back to being serious contenders. We've had enough stop gaps in the last 5 years

Bondi77

Why is there a need for a left footed CB? McGuire plays there at the moment as he does for England

Donald Silverbridge

My last post of the day. He's a good player, I don't understand why some of our fans don't want him. He would add quality to our bench. I want him at United, I have done for over a year now, I jumped on his bandwagon before he was popular, I would be happy if we got him this summer.

Status
Not open for further replies.