Jack Grealish / signs new 5 year contract

Status
Not open for further replies.

Orc

Pretended to be a United fan for two years
Supports
Chelsea
Agreed. I mean I'd like him at United as I think he's a good player but he'd be replacing someone like Mata from the squad rather than a member of the first eleven. If he's happy with that, and the price is right, great.

That said you're going to have similar issues at Chelsea in keeping Mount, CHO, Gilmour and Abraham playing with all of your new signings.
Those players cost us no money, though. You guys could probably get a very decent Mata replacement for half of what Grealish will cost.

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
I’ll admit I’ve done a u turn on this one. I still think he’s a complete knob and a classless arsehole.

But if we can sign him I can’t think of a more guaranteed success than him quality wise.

I still think he’ll do something stupid but feck it I’m in.

Sancho and Grealish please anyone else is a bonus

Bojan11

I think he’d improve our starting 11 in games where we have lots of the ball.

TheReligion

Abusive
Those players cost us no money, though. You guys could probably get a very decent Mata replacement for half of what Grealish will cost.
The new players have cost you money? If CHO and Mount perform they'll drop to the bench? Horses for courses.

Idxomer

Just seems like it would be a strange move for both United and Grealish himself. United spending £50m or whatever for a player that doesn't improve your first XI. Grealish would go from being the main man, the talisman through which everything flows for Villa to parked on United's bench more often than not. Yes, he'd get plenty of games but he'd always be a squad player rather than a starman like he is now.

Surely a move to Arsenal, Tottenham, or a club of that stature and level makes more sense? He'd walk straight into those starting XI's.
For United, it makes a lot of sense. Ole talked about how United used to have a lot of quality options in attack. When he was at the club, Ferguson went ahead and signed Yorke for big money when he had already 3 quality forwards. Ole would also want more than one quality option on the bench. If he signs Sancho and Grealish, that will solve this problem in a big way. Not only Grealish could slot in for Fernandes and Pogba but also Rashford and maybe Sancho if he has to.

For Grealish, it's all about how much he believes he could displace one of our first XI. Personally, I don't think there's much between him and Fernandes. Grealish is exactly the type of character who would think the same and will be up for the challenge. Also, being an important squad member in United is worth more than being the captain of Aston Villa.

croadyman

I’ll admit I’ve done a u turn on this one. I still think he’s a complete knob and a classless arsehole.

But if we can sign him I can’t think of a more guaranteed success than him quality wise.

I still think he’ll do something stupid but feck it I’m in.

Sancho and Grealish please anyone else is a bonus
Know I will probably be left looking stupid but think once he gets around model pros like Bruno & Rashford you would see a marked improvement in his attitude off the pitch and the doubters in our fanbase could well see him in a very different light

croadyman

For United, it makes a lot of sense. Ole talked about how United used to have a lot of quality options in attack. When he was at the club, Ferguson went ahead and signed Yorke for big money when he had already 3 quality forwards. Ole would also want more than one quality option on the bench. If he signs Sancho and Grealish, that will solve this problem in a big way. Not only Grealish could slot in for Fernandes and Pogba but also Rashford and maybe Sancho if he has to.

For Grealish, it's all about how much he believes he could displace one of our first XI. Personally, I don't think there's much between him and Fernandes. Grealish is exactly the type of character who would think the same and will be up for the challenge. Also, being an important squad member in United is worth more than being the captain of Aston Villa.
Yeah there is no doubt he will be up for that challenge but it's going to come down now to whether he has the desire to leave Villa and how far Utd are willing to go in order to sign him after sealing the Sancho deal

Obiorahking_

If the 60-70m is true then no way. I'm all about squad depth but our scouting department has been paid millions to find other bargains out there.

croadyman

If the 60-70m is true then no way. I'm all about squad depth but our scouting department has been paid millions to find other bargains out there.
Sticking by my £50m plus add ons which would take it to around the £60m mark

groovyalbert

it's a mute point
Like both players but just cannot get away from the feeling that Jack will light up this place given the opportunity. Honestly think he is born to wear the Utd shirt which might sound mad I know
Nope, I can see that. And if both were brought in to initially come on during a match, I'd back Grealish to deliver a game changing moment over vdB. Seems that sort of player.

It's just that with Villa staying up, it's hard not to see how Grealish' cost won't take up the vast majority of our budget. With Sancho coming in - and a better option - I think it'll probably be a hard pass or wait until next summer, unless Villa agree to sell at a reasonable price.

croadyman

Nope, I can see that. And if both were brought in to initially come on during a match, I'd back Grealish to deliver a game changing moment over vdB. Seems that sort of player.

It's just that with Villa staying up, it's hard not to see how Grealish' cost won't take up the vast majority of our budget. With Sancho coming in - and a better option - I think it'll probably be a hard pass or wait until next summer, unless Villa agree to sell at a reasonable price.
We would obviously need to sell some players to make this deal happen which I believe we will do, however I could accept waiting until next summer if I thought he would still be on the market then and we can get VDB this window.

Mihai

Like both players but just cannot get away from the feeling that Jack will light up this place given the opportunity. Honestly think he is born to wear the Utd shirt which might sound mad I know
And hopefully shorts that are not 3 sizes below his.

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
Know I will probably be left looking stupid but think once he gets around model pros like Bruno & Rashford you would see a marked improvement in his attitude off the pitch and the doubters in our fanbase could well see him in a very different light
I really really hope so.

But I do think other than moral objections and stupid fees as much as I like DVB Grealish has more of a game changer about him.

croadyman

I really really hope so.

But I do think other than moral objections and stupid fees as much as I like DVB Grealish has more of a game changer about him.
Yeah he does feel like the kind of player who could produce something when the team really needs it whether that be for his club next season or England in the euros.

Compton22

Knows that he knows nothing.
80m and potentially not be a consistent starter in the first team!? No chance :lol:

E-mal

:lol::lol:
They can keep an unhappy player, nobody is going to pay 80m for him.
Bruno is a better player and went for less, no way in hell anybody pays that. But then again , manutd have contributed to this hike by paying ridiculous fee for AWB and Maguire.

SAFMUTD

80M? Hahaha even 50M would be too much.

People forget we paid 50M for Bruno who ,even if he came from a weaker league, had world class stats and was player of the year for two consecutive seasons and full Portugal international.

Grealish has 1 season in the premier league, got good but far from great numbers, and is not even a english international. Why the feck would we pay that much for him?

SATA

He will push for it if he really wants the move and Villa will grant him his wish. There is a mutual respect between them. It won’t be like Palace pricing Zaha out of a move. Which leads me to think whether he’s better suited for us or Donny VDB

croadyman

Not worried by this in the slightest because we have seen this before when Palace and Sporting Lisbon slapped price tags on the heads of AWB & Bruno respectively and we still didn't pay that figure either.

Art

Art the artist
Feel like this will get done for 55 million + a player. He's 24, English and a really good footballer. Ticks a lot of Ole's boxes. If our summer ends up with Sancho and Grealish, I would consider that a success.

croadyman

Feel like this will get done for 55 million + a player. He's 24, English and a really good footballer. Ticks a lot of Ole's boxes. If our summer ends up with Sancho and Grealish, I would consider that a success.
Yeah totally agree with you

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
I'd admire the optimism but I don't see Villa letting him go for anywhere near as little as 50m

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
55m + a player? That seems a bit steep.

E-mal

He will push for it if he really wants the move and Villa will grant him his wish. There is a mutual respect between them. It won’t be like Palace pricing Zaha out of a move. Which leads me to think whether he’s better suited for us or Donny VDB
I dont think VDB is all that honestly.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
Now they’ve stayed up and considering what we paid for Maguire, and with Grealish having 4 years on his contract, can you blame them asking for that?

That said, we should walk if that’s the price.

Art

Art the artist
What's interesting is to think about the position he might play with us if he signs. Currently, it looks like he's most likely to play in Pogba's position but Paul already plays there and Rashford occupies the LW. So it seems like Ole wants Grealish for the pure objective of having an excellent cover for both these positions (LW and LCM) if one of any of our front 5 gets injured and not feel a drop in offensive quality over a grueling season. I'm all for this approach. Very similar to when Pep signed Mahrez I think.

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
VDB is better (at the very least comparable) and much cheaper. It’s a no brainer for me.

SATA

VDB is better (at the very least comparable) and much cheaper. It’s a no brainer for me.
VDB will be signed within a day or two if we really want him so that wouldn’t be a worry. I think the club will try for Grealish first while working on Sancho. 50M + some add ons should do it really

Status
Not open for further replies.