Jack Grealish / signs new 5 year contract

Status
Not open for further replies.

gajender

I agree, but if there's any player in the world less likely to kick up a fuss if a transfer hasn't materialized, then it's Jack Grealish at Villa.

It already happened 2 years ago, where he was off to Spurs due to the club's financial issues. He even said he thought it was done and dusted. Mind you the jump was from the Championship to a top 4 team, so even bigger than now. It didn't happen, he put his head down and produced a masterful season to help the team achieve promotion. I imagine the people banking on him kicking up a fuss to try to force a move will be disappointed.

If United don't feel he's worth whatever Villa say he is that's fine, it's business. But I find the arrogance of some fans suggesting the selling club better lower their price so the player can move to be off putting. If for example Real came and offered £40m for Rashford, could you imagine Madrid fans saying United shouldn't hold the lad hostage and just lower their asking price etc. A player is worth whatever the club thinks he is.
I think you might be in for a shock if you believe Grealish won't kick up a fuss if you price him out of move again due to your club being unreasonable ,boyhood Villa fan or not I am quite certain Grealish would push for the move if United makes any bid around 50m and this would go through.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Grealish can replace Pogba easily. My opinion.
That's not really accurate. In terms of where he's been deployed centrally, in midfield, over the last two seasons (or since Smith became manager anyway), Grealish has most often been used on the left of a 4-3-3 in roughly the equivalent to Pogba's role, with McGinn being deployed as what you would call the lead attacking midfielder from the right of the three.

Even if you were adamant that playing in a deeper two in a 4-2-3-1 is vastly different and Grealish can't do it or there's no evidence that he can do it, playing a 4-3-3 with Matic holding, Grealish left and Fernandes right - so effectively Grealish directly replacing Pogba in the lineup with a tweak to the formation - is about as close as you can get to the midfield setup he consistently played in under Smith.
We're playing 4231 though. So no point spend 80m if we are going to risk it by playing him in double pivot.

You don't really want him doing this type of stuff (1st clip). At least Pogba has good range of passing ability to offer in that double pivot, Grealish doesn't. Grealish also doesn't have the strength of Dembele to play in that double pivot role.

And you also don't want him jogging lazy to defend like this (2nd clip). Best thing is to play him in advanced area where you want to use his ability to win fouls in dangerous area and his creativity to create chances.

sherrinford

Pogba has mostly been positioned as the box to box guy in the midfield since he returned to the starting line-up. With Bruno given the freedom to roam, and Matic asked to stay back. Pogba clearly doesn't have the same freedom to roam Bruno does. Even if on the formation it looks the same on paper, how it is tactically implemented is much different. Pogba is asked to drop back to the final 1/3rd to bring the ball out much more than Bruno is, who has significant freedom to jump into attack. What Grealish is asked to do for Villa, is much closer to what Bruno is asked to do tactically, even if they line-up on different sides. Asking Grealish to play Pogba's box to box role in the current formation, which often resembles a 4-2-3-1, would not be using Grealish in his common roles for Villa. Grealish constantly played as a left-sided attacker or as the #10 for Villa, not really a box to box role. Tactically, what Grealish does, is more suited for either Bruno or Rashford's role.
Grealish has played predominantly off the left this season, deployed there in a 4-3-3, 3-4-3 and 4-2-3-1. He has played as a no.10 rather infrequently. When I talk about the midfield position he has occupied most consistently, I'm referring to his role under Smith all of last (Championship, 18-19) season and for the initial period of games this (Premier League, 19-20) season before the manager moved him out to the left.

In that midfield, Grealish operated as the left-side no.8 with McGinn as the right-sided no.8, and more readily looked to come deeper and take the ball into feet while McGinn would constantly look to empty the midfield, getting forward and supporting the attackers. Grealish was closer to Pogba's current role and McGinn is similar, though more gritty and less technical and flamboyant, to Bruno.

Last edited:

MetoTTT

Why would he even bother coming here, knowing fully well that he won't be first choice.

It'll do his chances of breaking into the England team absolutely no good and at 25 not being a starter would be detrimental to his career.

I feel the possibility of this happening is dead in the water, if pogba is willing to sign a new contract extension
He thinks he can earn his place?

DannyDee

Am 100 per cent sure Grealish can do whatever Pogba does on the pitch. Take out his individual skills, I don't see anything that Pogba does in this team that makes me say wow we can't do without him. He is a liability, we all know it, opposition know it and Fergie knew it( playing the young Brazilian defender in midfield over him). In my honest opinion, we will get more from Grealish than Pogba. Apart from a few Pogba fan boys , I don't know any football fan who rates him that highly. Its all about his name now. No substance. I don't care what he did for France or Juventus, I just feel he has been a failure here at least for the money paid. Again I don't want anyone getting their knickers in a twist here. THIS IS MY OPINION. IT IS NOT A FACT. IF YOU DON'T LIKE IT, FAIR ENOUGH BUT I WON'T CHANGE IT.
Well, I would like some decent supporting evidence. But, okay, let's remove Pogba's ability from the discussion. If we are going to pay a fortune to replace Pogba, why is Jack Grealish the ideal player to play the current role Pogba does for us tactically? I'm not going to blindly defend Pogba, but I would like to hear why Jack Grealish is ideal in the box to box role next to Bruno and Matic. I really don't see a case to be made here. I'm fine with people saying lets move on with Pogba, even if I may disagree. What I don't accept is an argument that isn't rooted in any evidence on why Grealish is the ideal fit for that spot. You want to tell me we should buy Thiago or Saul to play there, I may not agree, but I at least see the rationality of the point.

croadyman

Well, I would like some decent supporting evidence. But, okay, let's remove Pogba's ability from the discussion. If we are going to pay a fortune to replace Pogba, why is Jack Grealish the ideal player to play the current role Pogba does for us tactically? I'm not going to blindly defend Pogba, but I would like to hear why Jack Grealish is ideal in the box to box role next to Bruno and Matic. I really don't see a case to be made here. I'm fine with people saying lets move on with Pogba, even if I may disagree. What I don't accept is an argument that isn't rooted in any evidence on why Grealish is the ideal fit for that spot. You want to tell me we should buy Thiago or Saul to play there, I may not agree, but I at least see the rationality of the point.
Yeah I certainly wouldn't see Grealish as someone to cover Pogba in his role,however feel he would just offer something different creatively to him or Bruno in that advanced area.

DannyDee

Grealish has played predominantly off the left this season, deployed there in a 4-3-3, 3-4-3 and 4-2-3-1. He has played as a no.10 rather infrequently. When I talk about the midfield position he has occupied most consistently, I'm referring to his role under Smith all of last (Championship, 18-19) season and for the initial period of games this (Premier League, 19-20) season before the manager moved him out to the left.

In that midfield, Grealish operated as the left-side no.8 with McGinn as the right-sided no.8, and more readily looked to come deeper and take the ball into feet while McGinn would constantly look to empty the midfield, getting forward and supporting the attackers. Grealish was closer to Pogba's current role and McGinn is similar, though more gritty and less technical and flamboyant, to Bruno.
Look, I'm not against buying Grealish. But, I do think the concept of buying him to replace Pogba's role tactically would be paying a premium to set him up to fail. If you want to replace Pogba, you go with someone who is a more direct tactical fit when you are paying the premiums discussed on Grealish. You want Grealish to have a lot of free-reign in attack, something that wouldn't work next to Bruno if we have 3 forwards in front of them. We've seen the role Grealish has had success in with Villa this year in the EPL, and if your paying over 50m for him, you play him in that style of role. Maybe as he gets older he can drop further back, but if I'm justifying the outlay for Grealish it is someone who rotates from where Rashford is lined up and where Bruno is deployed.

Winzaghi

Supports
Aston Villa
@Winzaghi

I understand what you're trying to say and agree in part but it has to be said that Grealish is entitled to push for a move and in fairness Villa should accept that and perhaps come to a compromise. Ronaldo came to United and it was clear his boyhood dream club was Real. We turned him into a superstar, he helped us win everything and Sir Alex agreed if he gave us another season he could have his move. Yes we got good money but in hindsight could we have pushed for more or held on to him? Probably. Did we do right in what we did though? Most certainly. Obviously both situations are not identical but I think it's a valid argument to be had that if Villa ask for too much money they aren't doing right by Grealish and he might rightly feel annoyed about it given how he stayed in the Championship last season and helped get you promoted and he stayed with you this season and helped keep you up!

When it comes to price you have to consider covid and other similar recent deals like Bruno Fernandes. There's absolutely no justification to seek £80m for Grealish. It's not a fair price nor is it fair to the player.
Thanks for the reasoned reply. I agree with almost all of it. I'd like to clarify the Spurs situation though, it's not like he was looking to move per se. We were on the brink of administration and we were trying to get £25m for him to help stave that off, and he had to grudgingly go along with it (I say grudgingly but he would have likely went on to bigger and better things), but Levy bring Levy messed that up of course, thank God.

As for the £80m price tag, I don't know I think you can make a good case for it. There is there English premium for starters of course. There are comparable players in Maddison and Mount and if someone were to buy them, I'd imagine they'd go for £70-80m as well. More so for Maddison. I also think he's better than both.

But beyond that he is almost a one of a kind player in that there aren't too many players let alone English ones who can carry the ball like he does and draws defenders then releases the ball at the perfect moment. It's an invaluable skill especially for teams who play with pace on the front foot. Second in the league in chances created behind the imperious De Bruyne as well, in a relegation threatened team. The £50m that people are throwing around doesn't even scratch the surface. Joelinton cost £45m ffs. Pepe cost Arsenal 70 something odd million. How can they turn around and offer £50m for Grealish with a straight face?

Reactions: Penna

kkj25

I rate him quite highly in terms of ability and character and think he would be an exceptional part of the squad. People that keep saying we shouldn't buy a squad player for such and such money... What makes you think he would be brought in definitively for that? I would go to him earn the right to be first choice force yourself into the team.

I will say this I don't want him at 80m not even because he might not be worth it. I would rather spend the money on Buendia or James Rodriguez or someone similar more reasonably priced. Buendia in terms of chances created is almost as high as Grealish, hell of a lot cheaper and 2 years younger. Rodriguez is obviously older but also has performed well to an extent at Bayern and Madrid, Particularly in his first seasons at both. He has always appeared to be an exceptional talent. Either one is worth a punt and probably more conducive to joining United and not costing an arm and a leg. Better for longer term squad building as well.

I would love Grealish to be playing here next season he would elevate the squad significantly but not at the prices being bandied about.

Last edited:

The Brown Bull

It's Coming Home.
To be honest, I think he's a little slow. When I say slow I mean slow response and slow reaction.
I don't think he would be able to hang or keep up with the pace with this Man United squad.
I'm about to get roasted for this, but that's just my observation on him.
Not by me you won't. He is slow. He is not of the quality we want and need.
Plus he's a knobhead.

The Brown Bull

It's Coming Home.
I rate him quite highly in terms of ability and character and think he would be an exceptional part of the squad. People that keep saying we shouldn't buy a squad player for such and such money... What makes you think he would be brought in definitively for that? I would go to him earn the right to be first choice force yourself into the team.

I will say this I don't want him at 80m not even because he might not be worth it. I would rather spend the money on Buendia or James Rodriguez or someone similar more reasonably priced. Buendia in terms of chances created is almost as high as Grealish, hell of a lot cheaper and 2 years younger. Rodriguez is obviously older but also has performed well to an extent at Bayern and Madrid, Particularly in his first seasons at both. He has always appeared to be an exceptional talent. Either one is worth a punt and probably more conducive to joining United and not costing an arm and a leg. Better for longer term squad building as well.

I would love Grealish to be playing here next season he would elevate the squad significantly but not at the prices being bandied about.
Balls.

The Brown Bull

It's Coming Home.
Lightweight? He's not the biggest of guys but he's surprisingly strong on the ball. Part of the reason he wins so many fouls is because he holds people off until they have no choice but to really bring him down.
Lightweight as in not being good enough and not having the right stuff.

jamesjimmybyrondean

I reckon between 50 to 60 or 65 at a push is where the sale can happen, it's a decent amount for him and it won't feel like we are paying over the odds. People talk about first 11 forgetting over a full season there is no such thing considering opponents, form, injuries, competitions. It's a first 16 or so. He is a utd fan as well. We should definitely do it.
You think Ed would spend a much higher amount on Grealish than he spent on Bruno who plays in the same position? Especially when we could do get VdB for 35m? What is it with this fetish for English players that cost a fortune. Thiago is available for 35m, Partey is available for 45m. Buendia is a good young AM that would be half that Grealish price

croadyman

Pretty sure Jack will think long and hard about his future while on holiday. He needs to consider this chance to join Utd may not be there again in 12 months.

I can understand him feeling loyalty to Villa but his own career needs to take priority now and the step up could make him an even better player too.

I know it looks unlikely after the Sky report but still have a feeling this could end up being the transfer saga of the summer.

Becks00

Should we sign grealish this summer, I think Bruno is the one whose position would be threatened the most and despite what many might think here now, I don't think there is anything between them two (Bruno and grealish) in fact I would leaning towards grealish as the more talented of the two.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
He'd essentially be Bruno and Rashford's backup right? Don't see the point in spending big on him. Also, how is he off the ball? Can he press like Bernardo Silva ? Sounds like a good player to have but I'm not sure we have a need for him.

Yagami

Good post resistant
Lightweight as in not being good enough and not having the right stuff.
Well that's just plain wrong. On the pitch, he's one of the best playmakers, ball carriers, and press resistant midfielders in the world. Mentally, he's as strong as you can get. A Birmingham fan literally ran onto the pitch and punched him. Jack's response? He scored the winner and acted like nothing happened in his post match interview; choosing to focus solely on the football. Then there's the bit about him singlehandedly keeping Villa up.

Eddy_JukeZ

He'd essentially be Bruno and Rashford's backup right? Don't see the point in spending big on him. Also, how is he off the ball? Can he press like Bernardo Silva ? Sounds like a good player to have but I'm not sure we have a need for him.
He can fill in for those 2 yeah. I also wouldn't spend big on him.

He could put more of a shift in, but we're not really a pressing team, so it shouldn't be a major problem.

For a good price, I'd definitely bring him in. He's one of the best ball carriers in the world. He was the most fouled player in the top 5 leagues.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
He can fill in for those 2 yeah. I also wouldn't spend big on him.

He could put more of a shift in, but we're not really a pressing team, so it shouldn't be a major problem.

For a good price, I'd definitely bring him in. He's one of the best ball carriers in the world. He was the most fouled player in the top 5 leagues.
Think we need more players who can press though. The more non pressing players you sign the further you move away from any possibility of being able to do it. But if we can make it work regardless obviously none of us care. I think we can do with a player like him. I'm just worried we don't have enough quality in deeper areas of midfield especially in terms of playmaking etc

Having said that for the right fee we would have Grealish as an option instead of James, Lingard and Periera for the AM/LW spot.

Eddy_JukeZ

Think we need more players who can press though. The more non pressing players you sign the further you move away from any possibility of being able to do it. But if we can make it work regardless obviously none of us care. I think we can do with a player like him. I'm just worried we don't have enough quality in deeper areas of midfield especially in terms of playmaking etc

Having said that for the right fee we would have Grealish as an option instead of James, Lingard and Periera for the AM/LW spot.
I don't necessarily disagree, but I don't view pressing as an individualistic thing. It has to be collective and it starts from the coaching staff. If we started to press more, I am sure Grealish wouldn't 'oppose' to it or anything like that. It's down to the coaching staff and Ole himself. I don't think Ole wants to play on the front foot constantly.

I agree with your point on our midfield in deep areas. I'd love for us to go for Thiago if he's available for 30 mil. I think that's too good to turn down.

Slysi17

Jack Grealish could easily be a first teamer at United. People talk as if our first team is Exceptional. Grealish can upgrade our first team.
No he couldn't. Bruno, Rashford, Martial and Pogba are better especially Pogba who is miles ahead. If he wants to be a starterhe should go to a team like Arsenal. He would walk into Arsenals starting lineup as they have no quality attacking mid.

E-mal

That's not really accurate. In terms of where he's been deployed centrally, in midfield, over the last two seasons (or since Smith became manager anyway), Grealish has most often been used on the left of a 4-3-3 in roughly the equivalent to Pogba's role, with McGinn being deployed as what you would call the lead attacking midfielder from the right of the three.

Even if you were adamant that playing in a deeper two in a 4-2-3-1 is vastly different and Grealish can't do it or there's no evidence that he can do it, playing a 4-3-3 with Matic holding, Grealish left and Fernandes right - so effectively Grealish directly replacing Pogba in the lineup with a tweak to the formation - is about as close as you can get to the midfield setup he consistently played in under Smith.
Hence why they almost got relegated.

E-mal

Am 100 per cent sure Grealish can do whatever Pogba does on the pitch. Take out his individual skills, I don't see anything that Pogba does in this team that makes me say wow we can't do without him. He is a liability, we all know it, opposition know it and Fergie knew it( playing the young Brazilian defender in midfield over him). In my honest opinion, we will get more from Grealish than Pogba. Apart from a few Pogba fan boys , I don't know any football fan who rates him that highly. Its all about his name now. No substance. I don't care what he did for France or Juventus, I just feel he has been a failure here at least for the money paid. Again I don't want anyone getting their knickers in a twist here. THIS IS MY OPINION. IT IS NOT A FACT. IF YOU DON'T LIKE IT, FAIR ENOUGH BUT I WON'T CHANGE IT.
He can only wish to have Pogba's vision.
What the hell are you on about? Pogba has issues with concentration lapses here and there but to even suggest Grealish is at the same level is blasphemy and damn right disrespectful.

Slysi17

He can only wish to have Pogba's vision.
What the hell are you on about? Pogba has issues with concentration lapses here and there but to even suggest Grealish is at the same level is blasphemy and damn right disrespectful.
Its ludicrous that people are saying that Jack Grealish could take Pogbas place and is better. That's why I said previously people were overhypying Grealish. I never said he is rubbish.

E-mal

Thanks for the reasoned reply. I agree with almost all of it. I'd like to clarify the Spurs situation though, it's not like he was looking to move per se. We were on the brink of administration and we were trying to get £25m for him to help stave that off, and he had to grudgingly go along with it (I say grudgingly but he would have likely went on to bigger and better things), but Levy bring Levy messed that up of course, thank God.

As for the £80m price tag, I don't know I think you can make a good case for it. There is there English premium for starters of course. There are comparable players in Maddison and Mount and if someone were to buy them, I'd imagine they'd go for £70-80m as well. More so for Maddison. I also think he's better than both.

But beyond that he is almost a one of a kind player in that there aren't too many players let alone English ones who can carry the ball like he does and draws defenders then releases the ball at the perfect moment. It's an invaluable skill especially for teams who play with pace on the front foot. Second in the league in chances created behind the imperious De Bruyne as well, in a relegation threatened team. The £50m that people are throwing around doesn't even scratch the surface. Joelinton cost £45m ffs. Pepe cost Arsenal 70 something odd million. How can they turn around and offer £50m for Grealish with a straight face?
All valid points mate but we got Bruno for less than 50 and doubt we'd pay more for a rotation player.
Also I'd add that these players you mentioned where bought as starting players although very poor outlays on bang average guys.

Bobcat

Behind the curtains, leering at the neighbors
Of course we need him, the issue is just the price. Assuming we sign Sancho as well we then have Martial, Rashford, Bruno, Greenwood, Sancho and James covering 4 positions in 4231

Grealish is versatile enough to cover at RW/RAM as well and as the season goes on i am sure there will be enough fotball for everyone. According to a stat sheet i saw Grealish was the most fouled player this year and also the best in the EPL at ball retention. Put him in a better side than Villa and im sure he would take it to another level

Also assuming Inter sign Sanchez and we manage to clear some more deadwood (Lindgard, Pereira, Jones) we free up quite a lot of wages. Considering we got CL i think we can stand to spend around 150 million this summer as well, which hopefully would be enough to sign both Sancho and Grealish. Thats my muppet take on it

sherrinford

Look, I'm not against buying Grealish. But, I do think the concept of buying him to replace Pogba's role tactically would be paying a premium to set him up to fail. If you want to replace Pogba, you go with someone who is a more direct tactical fit when you are paying the premiums discussed on Grealish. You want Grealish to have a lot of free-reign in attack, something that wouldn't work next to Bruno if we have 3 forwards in front of them. We've seen the role Grealish has had success in with Villa this year in the EPL, and if your paying over 50m for him, you play him in that style of role. Maybe as he gets older he can drop further back, but if I'm justifying the outlay for Grealish it is someone who rotates from where Rashford is lined up and where Bruno is deployed.
I have described how Grealish operated in the equivalent role for Villa. He did so for an extended period of time and thrived doing so. His versatility is well established at this point as is the fact that this is one of the roles he excels in. As much has basically been said by both Grealish and Smith as well.

He likes taking the ball in with the play in front of him, and is similar to Pogba in that they aren't as comfortable in typical no.10 areas, higher up the pitch with their backs to goal, as someone like Fernandes. Bruno's energy and willingness to operate in advanced areas would allow Grealish to get on the ball, carry it forward and release teammates. And ofcourse Matic would maintain a holding position and give him the license to support the play and join in from a deeper area. Again, this would mirror the kind of support he had with McGinn and Hourihane really quite closely. The kind of freedom afforded to Pogba, Xavi, Scholes or any other player operating in the 'link' role between a sitting and an advanced midfielder is suitable for Grealish.

For me, to pay that kind of money for him is only justifiable as a replacement for Pogba, as that would be buying him for a starting role. Bringing him in for a premium price as a rotation option would feel like a poor use of resources.

sherrinford

All valid points mate but we got Bruno for less than 50 and doubt we'd pay more for a rotation player.
Also I'd add that these players you mentioned where bought as starting players although very poor outlays on bang average guys.
That is irrelevant for Villa though.

Renegade

Of course we need him, the issue is just the price. Assuming we sign Sancho as well we then have Martial, Rashford, Bruno, Greenwood, Sancho and James covering 4 positions in 4231

Grealish is versatile enough to cover at RW
/RAM as well and as the season goes on i am sure there will be enough fotball for everyone. According to a stat sheet i saw Grealish was the most fouled player this year and also the best in the EPL at ball retention. Put him in a better side than Villa and im sure he would take it to another level

Also assuming Inter sign Sanchez and we manage to clear some more deadwood (Lindgard, Pereira, Jones) we free up quite a lot of wages. Considering we got CL i think we can stand to spend around 150 million this summer as well, which hopefully would be enough to sign both Sancho and Grealish. Thats my muppet take on it
Have you genuinely ever seen him play there?

Status
Not open for further replies.