Jack Grealish / signs new 5 year contract

Status
Not open for further replies.

croadyman

The public defiance stance could be adopted by Villa in this instance, and that a deal is already in place with Utd. It makes it look like Villa tried their best to keep him and didn’t give up easily, as well as it hides their poker hand from the rest of the market when they’re after his replacement(s).

Nothing worse than you get a ton of money then all the clubs who have players you wish to target with that said money, will automatically jack up the price (no pun intended) to the point you are genuinely priced out. This could all just be a charade by two clubs and the buying club is giving the selling club time to find their replacement.

It seems fairly sound to me anyway. When we bought Herrera, Bilbao were very defiant publicly saying he wasn’t going anywhere from memory then a few hours later he was going to OT.
Did you see that link in the reddit thread on here from one of their mupdates on April 17?

Chairman Steve

Did you see that link in the reddit thread on here from one of their mupdates on April 17?
I dont think so. All I know is there has been on and off rumblings of a Grealish to Utd link for a good while, even predating Bruno arriving. Whether it’s a legit thing or someone assuming it’s going to happen because Utd were apparently targeting more British players for their team (the Brexit FC approach as it has been jokingly called), and people are putting 2 and 2 together because 1) Grealish is British and 2) Utd lacked creativity in midfield outside of Pogba at the time.

croadyman

I dont think so. All I know is there has been on and off rumblings of a Grealish to Utd link for a good while, even predating Bruno arriving. Whether it’s a legit thing or someone assuming it’s going to happen because Utd were apparently targeting more British players for their team (the Brexit FC approach as it has been jokingly called), and people are putting 2 and 2 together because 1) Grealish is British and 2) Utd lacked creativity in midfield outside of Pogba at the time.
Yeah we are supposed to have made an approach for him back in the January window but were told in no uncertain terms that they won't be selling him until the summer. I can post the link to this if you want but think anything reddit related outside of the dedicated thread is generally frowned upon.

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
It’s also important to note that any gentleman’s agreement doesn't mean he’ll end up at United.

pratyush_utd

Can't tell DeGea and Onana apart.
It’s also important to note that any gentleman’s agreement doesn't mean he’ll end up at United.
I think if we want him then certainly that agreement can help us close the deal. He also seems to want to play for Manutd, so I don't think it should be a tough deal to close.

Ødegaard

formerly MrEriksen
Scout
Jeez, I hope you good @Ødegaard.
Not sure if I should continue that joke as it can turn very dark (I have severe but stable health issues :p).
Martin Ødegaard to my knowledge hasn't had any chronic issues, but I did some searching and a fairly new article (this year) wrote about him having patellar tendinopathy, which again google says basically gives you pain in the knee and occasional swelling. Guesswork from myself, someone who obviously don't know anything about this makes me think he'll be able to play perfectly fine but could need to be managed more, so won't play all games like most healthy players at his age would.

Even so, he has been playing through the pain for Real Sociedad, so it goes to show that unless it gets a lot worse he should still be able to have a good career. And if not, he should be damn happy he chose the money in Madrid before development in another country with the new predicament.

Something that should worry others who now would consider him for United is that if this issue is recent, he has had a big fall in productivity after the first half year, so it could be that the pain is hindering him when he is on the field. I haven't watched the games though, but that is how his progress has been reported in Norwegian media during the season: Great start but fading as the season has gone from midway to a close.

Bojan11

Not sure if I should continue that joke as it can turn very dark (I have severe but stable health issues :p).
Martin Ødegaard to my knowledge hasn't had any chronic issues, but I did some searching and a fairly new article (this year) wrote about him having patellar tendinopathy, which again google says basically gives you pain in the knee and occasional swelling. Guesswork from myself, someone who obviously don't know anything about this makes me think he'll be able to play perfectly fine but could need to be managed more, so won't play all games like most healthy players at his age would.

Even so, he has been playing through the pain for Real Sociedad, so it goes to show that unless it gets a lot worse he should still be able to have a good career. And if not, he should be damn happy he chose the money in Madrid before development in another country with the new predicament.
Sorry, didn’t know about your health issues too.

Hopefully this won’t hamper Odegaards career. I remember reading about Gundogan having a chronic injury and he’s gone on to have a decent career.

roseguy64

Oh God no. I am sick to death of us playing midfielders on the wing. We did it with Mata and Perierra. Grealish on the wing wouldn't work as he has no pace. Would rather play Dan James there.
Where did Grealish play the majority of his games for Villa in the 2019-20 season?

Winzaghi

Supports
Aston Villa
Where did Grealish play the majority of his games for Villa in the 2019-20 season?
Yep, he played his best football this season on the left wing. He wasn't really hugging the touchline, but more of an attacking midfielder that starts out left and finds himself drifting infield to affect play.

He sees himself as a #8 ideally, but unless the team has an absolute boss midfield around him, you don't really get the most out of his qualities unless you play him further forward. It worked in the Championship, but after the first few games of the season this year it was clear we needed to push him up for his sake and the team's. We didn't have the midfield to cope.

E-mal

Yep, he played his best football this season on the left wing. He wasn't really hugging the touchline, but more of an attacking midfielder that starts out left and finds himself drifting infield to affect play.

He sees himself as a #8 ideally, but unless the team has an absolute boss midfield around him, you don't really get the most out of his qualities unless you play him further forward. It worked in the Championship, but after the first few games of the season this year it was clear we needed to push him up for his sake and the team's. We didn't have the midfield to cope.
He doesn't have the quality to play as an 8, he is better on the wings, the CAM before playing as a CM. hence why it is daft to even compare him and Pogba as some caftards have suggested.

His qualities are best soothed to playing higher up.

Winzaghi

Supports
Aston Villa
He doesn't have the quality to play as an 8, he is better on the wings, the CAM before playing as a CM. hence why it is daft to even compare him and Pogba as some caftards have suggested.

His qualities are best soothed to playing higher up.
He could do it the way Silva and De Bruyne play it at City but you'd need a very specific setup like that for it to work. He's definitely not a Pogba type #8 at all.

I personally think his best position is the free role behind the striker which we didn't have the luxury of playing this season so we stuck him out on the left. You guys already have Bruno there, and Rashford already has that LW spot sewn up, I honestly don't see the point in United buying him for whatever high fee it'll likely be.

teague

One player who I think is a transfer weapon for us is Dean Henderson. We want to loan him again, why not offer him to Villa for a season long loan next year....will probably get more practice there too.
Villa have got even more senior goalkeepers on their books than us - surely they don't need another one. They were very happy with Tom Heaton until he got injured in January - he'll be their number 1 once he's back.

Riz

He could do it the way Silva and De Bruyne play it at City but you'd need a very specific setup like that for it to work. He's definitely not a Pogba type #8 at all.

I personally think his best position is the free role behind the striker which we didn't have the luxury of playing this season so we stuck him out on the left. You guys already have Bruno there, and Rashford already has that LW spot sewn up, I honestly don't see the point in United buying him for whatever high fee it'll likely be.
I think the interest (if true) would be to add to the list of options in the squad rather than displace Bruno or Rashford directly. In the same way that signing Sancho isn't to necessarily "replace" Greenwood in the starting team but more to get away from having a rigid first 11 followed by backups (which is our current squad issue - starters are good, back ups are not). Ole was reluctant to rest any of the front 6, even though they were visibly getting more and more tired towards the end of the season, because the drop off in quality was enormous for such big games in our bid to finish in the top 4.

Signing Sancho therefore means we wouldn't have to play an 18/19 year old Greenwood every match or indeed play Rashford every match even when he's blowing cold.

In much the same way I'd be a big fan of signing Grealish since he can play a range of attacking positions and fits the profile of the type of player Ole wants quite well. However as you mention the fee will likely prove too much for us this window to warrant bringing him in should the priority signing of Sancho go through for around £100m. We have other areas to address beyond the attacking options.

croadyman

Grealish now 8/11 to join Arsenal and 10/1 to join Utd, someone is obviously confident that Arsenal are going to try and do a similar deal to Pepe last year because cannot see how they could possibly afford to sign him otherwise

gajender

Grealish now 8/11 to join Arsenal and 10/1 to join Utd, someone is obviously confident that Arsenal are going to try and do a similar deal to Pepe last year because cannot see how they could possibly afford to sign him otherwise
What similar deal?

Winzaghi

Supports
Aston Villa
I think the interest (if true) would be to add to the list of options in the squad rather than displace Bruno or Rashford directly. In the same way that signing Sancho isn't to necessarily "replace" Greenwood in the starting team but more to get away from having a rigid first 11 followed by backups (which is our current squad issue - starters are good, back ups are not). Ole was reluctant to rest any of the front 6, even though they were visibly getting more and more tired towards the end of the season, because the drop off in quality was enormous for such big games in our bid to finish in the top 4.

Signing Sancho therefore means we wouldn't have to play an 18/19 year old Greenwood every match or indeed play Rashford every match even when he's blowing cold.

In much the same way I'd be a big fan of signing Grealish since he can play a range of attacking positions and fits the profile of the type of player Ole wants quite well. However as you mention the fee will likely prove too much for us this window to warrant bringing him in should the priority signing of Sancho go through for around £100m. We have other areas to address beyond the attacking options.
It would be a no brainier if Villa got relegated and you could get him for a cut price. Being able to pick 2 out of Rashford, Sancho, Grealish and Greenwood sounds like the stuff of dreams.

DannyDee

That's the case for almost all the deals , deals requiring full transfer fee upfront are rarity.
I know they are mostly accounted for that way, I'm not sure how many are fully instalment based though. For example, if you spend say 60m upfront (with maybe 10m in incentives) on Grealish and sign him to a 4 year deal with an option, I think its accounted for as 15m each year on your books (+whatever his wages are).

E-mal

We have to sign him, for a good deal though. We cant go into the season especting Bruno to play at thesame level all through.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Makes sense, only Arsenal is the team who is desperate for creative attacking mid. They'll go for him if they have the money for sure. The other teams aren't desperate to spend such a money to sign him.

RDCR07

Not a bad guy (Whale Killer)
Makes sense, only Arsenal is the team who is desperate for creative attacking mid. They'll go for him if they have the money for sure. The other teams aren't desperate to spend such a money to sign him.
If they can’t afford Partey they surely can’t afford Grealish. There is also the question of if Grealish wants to move there.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Are they? They have a lot more creativity than they do defensive solidarity. Their focus will almost certainly be on other areas of the pitch I reckon.

cyril C

Then he is even worse than Lingard. At least Lingard can play on the RIGHT hand side. How many left hand side players do we need?

croadyman

I like Grealish but for £80M we can get both Thiago and Van der Beek.
If I thought Thiago would choose us over Liverpool then I would agree with you. Despite the Arsenal links I still us making a play for him before this window is out.

gajender

I know they are mostly accounted for that way, I'm not sure how many are fully instalment based though. For example, if you spend say 60m upfront (with maybe 10m in incentives) on Grealish and sign him to a 4 year deal with an option, I think its accounted for as 15m each year on your books (+whatever his wages are).
Deals where major part of transfer fee is paid upfront are not that common ,most of the deals consists of sizable part paid in form of Installments by buying teams.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Who are those?
Saka, Lacazette, Pepe with Aubameyang and Ceballos centrally isnt bad either. As I said its not amazing but they need to focus on other areas way more than they need a player like grealish. And they won't have a big budget either, I can imagine theyl have no budget if they don't win FA Cup.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Saka, Lacazette, Pepe with Aubameyang and Ceballos centrally isnt bad either. As I said its not amazing but they need to focus on other areas way more than they need a player like grealish. And they won't have a big budget either, I can imagine theyl have no budget if they don't win FA Cup.
No wonder they are lacking creativity if those are the list of their most creative players. Yeah, they definitely need Grealish. The game against Aston Villa sums it up when they had zero shot on target and had less total shots than Aston Villa.

They aren't going to sign quality centre back now Upamecano signed a new contract and the fact that Luiz was given a new contract & signed Pablo Mari pretty much tell you that they prepare for worst case scenario if they can't get centre back this summer. In additional they will have Saliba as a new additional centre back which they spent 30m last season.

I think Grealish (they are targeting Coutinho though) & Partey will improve their creativity & defense. They never gonna fix their defense in one window anyway.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
No wonder they are lacking creativity if those are the list of their most creative players. Yeah, they definitely need Grealish. The game against Aston Villa sums it up when they had zero shot on target and had less total shots than Aston Villa.

They aren't going to sign quality centre back now Upamecano signed a new contract and the fact that Luiz was given a new contract & signed Pablo Mari pretty much tell you that they prepare for worst case scenario if they can't get centre back this summer. In additional they will have Saliba as a new additional centre back which they spent 30m last season.

I think Grealish (they are targeting Coutinho though) & Partey will improve their creativity & defense. They never gonna fix their defense in one window anyway.
The quality of their defence makes their attack look like Man City.

Lacazette, Pepe and Aubameyang can hurt most teams in the league and Saka is a top talent. Flip to the defence and you have no established center back pairing, and no actual quality outside of Saliba who hasn't even started a game in this league yet.

Yeah, I'd say other areas are a much bigger concern. They aren't going to drop £50m+ on Grealish, because they don't need him as badly as they need a proper defence. There's a reason they only registered interest and never followed it up.

I haven't even gotten started on how they don't have a quality holding midfielder, and will need to replace Guendouzi after moving him on too.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
The quality of their defence makes their attack look like Man City.

Lacazette, Pepe and Aubameyang can hurt most teams in the league and Saka is a top talent. Flip to the defence and you have no established center back pairing, and no actual quality outside of Saliba who hasn't even started a game in this league yet.

Yeah, I'd say other areas are a much bigger concern. They aren't going to drop £50m+ on Grealish, because they don't need him as badly as they need a proper defence. There's a reason they only registered interest and never followed it up.

I haven't even gotten started on how they don't have a quality holding midfielder, and will need to replace Guendouzi after moving him on too.
Hurt with their goals doesn't mean they can create chances. The fact is that they lack creativity to create chances, they pretty much need someone like Bruno & Pogba, a creator not goal scorer. They are linked with Coutinho pretty much sums up they need that creative player and that's why I mentioned the only original top 6 teams who actually desperate for someone like Grealish right now is Arsenal.

They got shite defense but end of the day, they can't sign everybody. They have extent Luiz, signed Mari & got Saliba. If they are so confident that they will sign a new centre back they wouldn't need to extent Luiz's contract & signed Mari in the first place.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Hurt with their goals doesn't mean they can create chances. The fact is that they lack creativity to create chances, they pretty much need someone like Bruno & Pogba, a creator not goal scorer.
Eh? When did I say hurt with just goals? Arsenal don't have any position set close to City Liverpool or United but their attack/advanced midfielders is far far closer than their defence.

They create enough chances generally but their defence is the bigger problem.

They are linked with Coutinho pretty much sums up they need that creative player and that's why I mentioned the only original top 6 teams who actually desperate for someone like Grealish right now is Arsenal.
Quite sure no tier 1 source has Coutinho linked with Arsenal mate. I'm sure you're smart enough to know that Barcelona are eager to move Coutinho on, which is why his name is attached to a host of random clubs.
And no, Arsenal are in no way desperate for a creative midfielder in comparison to say, a holding midfielder or a proper center back.

They got shite defense but end of the day, they can't sign everybody. They have extent Luiz, signed Mari & got Saliba. If they are so confident that they will sign a new centre back they wouldn't need to extent Luiz's contract & signed Mari in the first place.
Yes. They can't sign everybody, which is why they won't spend most/all their budget on Jack Grealish. They need a solid holding midfielder more than a creative one, Luiz is only on for one more year and Mari wasn't signed to walk into the first XI. You naming these players is much more of a fall in standard than me pointing to Lacazette, Pepe, Saka and Aubameyang.

There's a reason no one has really linked arsenal to Grealish. The only reason we have this debate is because sky sensationalised their headline, and if you read the article they state themselves Arsenal haven't bothered to follow up on an interest registered "a while ago". That tells you everything. It's likely they may have bid peanuts if they were relegated, as they can afford him with other defenders. But now? feck no. They lose the FA Cup Final and theyl have nothing to spend. Even if they win today they won't have a lot, and £50m ain't going to Grealish :lol:

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Eh? When did I say hurt with just goals? Arsenal don't have any position set close to City Liverpool or United but their attack/advanced midfielders is far far closer than their defence.

They create enough chances generally but their defence is the bigger problem.
No. You didn't say that. I was correcting your sentence because they don't create enough quality chances. Total shots 6 with 0 on target. Villa had 8 total shots, I think that's enough to tell you how similar their situation when we were without Bruno & Pogba. Auba, Laca, & Pepe are more of a goal scorer than playmaker or creator. If you think Ceballos & Saka are quality enough for them to challenge for top 4 as their creator then that Aston Villa game pretty much sums up because those two were playing.

Quite sure no tier 1 source has Coutinho linked with Arsenal mate. I'm sure you're smart enough to know that Barcelona are eager to move Coutinho on, which is why his name is attached to a host of random clubs.
And no, Arsenal are in no way desperate for a creative midfielder in comparison to say, a holding midfielder or a proper center back.
Ornstein mentioned they are looking for wide players. Zaha, Grealish & Coutinho could play on the left and those three are creative player.

Yes. They can't sign everybody, which is why they won't spend most/all their budget on Jack Grealish. They need a solid holding midfielder more than a creative one, Luiz is only on for one more year and Mari wasn't signed to walk into the first XI. You naming these players is much more of a fall in standard than me pointing to Lacazette, Pepe, Saka and Aubameyang.

There's a reason no one has really linked arsenal to Grealish. The only reason we have this debate is because sky sensationalised their headline, and if you read the article they state themselves Arsenal haven't bothered to follow up on an interest registered "a while ago". That tells you everything. It's likely they may have bid peanuts if they were relegated, as they can afford him with other defenders. But now? feck no. They lose the FA Cup Final and theyl have nothing to spend. Even if they win today they won't have a lot, and £50m ain't going to Grealish :lol:
I never say they will spend their budget on Grealish. I said they are desperate on someone like Grealish which is the creative player.

jesperjaap

Unless we are able to do a deal with permanent/loan deals in exchange, I see no way that we get Grealish for under £70m which is what I expected anyway if they stayed up. People talkign about £40/50m were in dreamland.

That isnt to say he is a £70/80m player but he does have that value to Villa and he would have a lot of value to us as a signing i believe too. Feel people are under rating him a lot here.

Same token though we need a right winger, we need more quality in our squad depth attacking wise (obviously Grealish give competition there in several areas), we need a second defensive midfielder and we need a centre back. Could also argue we need a left back.

That is 4/5 signings and one of them hopefully and likely is to be Sancho around the £100m mark. Unless we are offloading about 10/11 players this window, which in my opinion we should but wont do anywhere near that total, there is absolutely no way we can sign Sancho and Grealish and two more signings, maybe not even one more.

For that reason, though I would really like us to sign him, I wouldnt now unless significan swap/oan exhanges are in place.

For the £80m spent on Grealish we could pretty much sign the majority of centre backs we are currently linked with as well as the majority of quality young defensive midfielders around at the moment.

e,g Grealish OR Camavinga and Gabriel for example

Maybe we should be looking abroad at a cheaper option that can cover several positions that we could purchase as a 4th signings. Seen nothing of them but maybe names like Almeda, Szoboszlia, Jonathon David, Ihattaren who would be around the £20m mark and allow us to sign 4 maybe even 5 players rather than probably 3 max

windycityfan

What does Redcafe think about James Rodriguez? I mean, we need a backup to Bruno, and he won’t cost 40-50MM. Heck, the club needs depth so badly it couldn’t hurt even if we added Grealish. Thoughts?

E-mal

What does Redcafe think about James Rodriguez? I mean, we need a backup to Bruno, and he won’t cost 40-50MM. Heck, the club needs depth so badly it couldn’t hurt even if we added Grealish. Thoughts?
The club has gone past mercenaries like James, players that don't really want to be here but only for the money. He turned us down when he went to Madrid and now he's not that much of a player we should take him? Absolutely not.
I'd rather take Coutinho on loan, the scouse fecker.

I like the look of malonovsky in Atalanta bug Grealish though is a different gravy because of many other reasons, it shows our direction as a club.

Status
Not open for further replies.