Jack Grealish / signs new 5 year contract

Status
Not open for further replies.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
I don't know mate but he's not really that far behind Rashford and Bruno for me.
I don't know about that. I'm just thinking that he might be in, with us preparing Pogba leaving. I know he's mainly LW or AM, but he has abilities to play CM imho. And yes, I want him here (not in a gay way).

croadyman

The moment Villa stayed up, our chances of signing him went down. I was counting on them going down, we would have got him at 40 million max. Its not possible now.
Still going to believe it's possible right up until that window closes on Oct 5,if we can't persuade him we just go and get Van Der Beek instead. Personally don't think there is anything in the Rodriguez stuff. I would take Thiago but pretty certain he is merseyside bound.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
He is a luxury nice to have signing, and would only happen if we get at a suitable price.

If it happens, it will be because Grealish desperately wants it, will happen late in the window and it’s relatively cheap.

put another way, our ambitions and plans for next year are not massively threatened if we don’t get him.

croadyman

He is a luxury nice to have signing, and would only happen if we get at a suitable price.

If it happens, it will be because Grealish desperately wants it, will happen late in the window and it’s relatively cheap.

put another way, our ambitions and plans for next year are not massively threatened if we don’t get him.
I agree with your point about Grealish needing to push for the move and about it not happening until late in the window. However I would be very surprised if it's relatively cheap though. I could see it being at least £50m plus addons

RikRuud

Villa could sign Cantwell to soften the blow. Might be a decent replacement. Would agree with people that Grealish does seem to be a luxury signing. I've watched a fair amount of him but I just don't seem to see the quality of player that other see. Certainly does not justify his transfer fee IMO.

meamth

Now that Sancho is confirmed....

CF: Martial, Ighalo, Greenwood
RW: Sancho, Greenwood, James, Andreas
LW: Rashford, Lingard.

CAM: Bruno, Mata.

LCM: Pogba, Fred.
RCM: Matic, McT.

I can only see Grealish as our back up to LW and CAM. If we sell Lingard and Perreira, Grealish is a must buy.

croadyman

CAM: Bruno, Mata.

LCM: Pogba, Fred.
RCM: Matic, McT.

I can only see Grealish as our back up to LW and CAM. If we sell Lingard and Perreira, Grealish is a must buy.
I know that many think the door slammed shut on Grealish when Villa stayed up and they could be right,however I am determined to keep faith with this one mad as that probably sounds.

Last edited:

TheNewEra

Knows Kroos' mentality
I know that many think the door slammed shut on Grealish when Villa stayed up and they could be right,however I am determined to keep faith with this one mad as that probably sounds.
I think Grealish vastly improves United in terms of depth and I think Grealish is still a United player by the end of the transfer window too. It just requires Grealish handing in a request.

The whole CB / CDM cover debate people seem to have I think will only happen with outs now, that's when there's a Rojo/Smalling/Jones sale (or at least 2 of them).

If Smalling stays I don't see a new CB this window, I always see Grealish coming though.

croadyman

I think Grealish vastly improves United in terms of depth and I think Grealish is still a United player by the end of the transfer window too. It just requires Grealish handing in a request.

The whole CB / CDM cover debate people seem to have I think will only happen with outs now, that's when there's a Rojo/Smalling/Jones sale (or at least 2 of them).

If Smalling stays I don't see a new CB this window, I always see Grealish coming though.
So you are quietly confident that he will push for this move then I take it

Tarrou

I expect this depends on whether we can shift Jesse and maybe one or two others

for that reason I expect it to drag out

TheNewEra

Knows Kroos' mentality
So you are quietly confident that he will push for this move then I take it
I'm just a fan as anyone else but if you think about Grealish, 24 years old, Man Utd fan, he's also hit the limit of what he can do at Villa he can't somehow get them in Europe with their current squad.

It's unlikely Villa will ever be more than a team struggling to stay in the EPL currently, they won't be gunning for Europe in the next few years and he can easily waste his career at Villa.

I don't really see what else can do but to move to a bigger club to play his best years.

Villa have won promotion and survival now, and Villa should honestly take 50M + say 20M add-ons (ones like winning the league) that they can strengthen their squad more.

I'd argue Villa addressing the front area with 2-3 players and making sure they can survive every season versus struggling and keeping hold of Grealish is more important (much like Coutinho at Liverpool).

There's no scenario a player like Grealish staying at Villa helps his career. Having a player like Grealish helps Villa but only marginally because he can effectively be marked out of a game, having 2 players that can contribute would help Villas odds of surviving.

United could easily send a few players Villas way on loan and take Grealish for a sensible price, or throw in players like Jones, Lingard that give them strength.

Villa used to have Agbonlahor, Young, Barry, Carew, now they only really have Grealish.

They need players in multiple positions not just one, cashing in for Grealish and looking at places like the french league and the german league then developing players (like they did Grealish) would be much better for them.

Last edited:

Skills

Snitch
Thats why you try to build a squad, and not just a strong 11. Look at Leicester and how they crumbled. If 2 injuries can make our front line crumble and we are back to playing the likes of Lingard/James/Ighalo that's no good. Grealish is available, and if we can get him around ~50M we should go for it. He can play as the #10 or on either wing, and is creative and very good at keeping possession/beating the press. We need to have ATLEAST couple of players who can change a game/make an impact on the bench. Greenwood and Grealish would be very good options.

-------Pogba---Matic
Sancho--Bruno--Rashford
-------------Martial

Bench : Greenwood, Grealish, Fred, James, McTominay, Ighalo

Thats a proper squad.
So is James future at the club already set up as a flop?

Christ, Oles managed to waste a collosal amount of money. Two of the least value for money defenders in the league, and his 20m winger who isn't even good enough to be a better backup than Jesse Lingard.

lenny_1248

CF: Martial, Greenwood, Rashford, Ighalo
RW: Sancho, Greenwood, James
LW: Rashford, Sancho, Martial, James, Greenwood
No need and space for Lingard and Pereira in these positions. They both need to se sold.

meamth

Well, if Sancho cost us at least 110 million pounds, we don't have anymore big signings to be honest. Let's see how much we can get from player sales to get Grealish:

Smalling : 18-20 million?.
Lingard: 20 million?
Jones: 10 million?
Perreira: 10-15 million?
Sanchez: ????

I think we're very lucky to get 50 million pounds and use that money for Grealish...but I doubt so.

TheNewEra

Knows Kroos' mentality

Christ, Oles managed to waste a collosal amount of money. Two of the least value for money defenders in the league, and his 20m winger who isn't even good enough to be a better backup than Jesse Lingard.
James is 22 and has some development ahead of him, he was always a punt and potential. It can still play out, he hasn't come from an academy like Uniteds where he is brought up the right way. It'll take James 2-3 years to develop and worse case he will be sold for a similar price he was bought.

Lingard is 27 and isn't the future, you can't compare the two.

SteveW

Tie up the other deals and let this one sit a while. If we can raise a good amount through sales and he pushes for the move maybe this can happen at around 60m. He'd be a good addition.

meamth

CF: Martial, Greenwood, Rashford, Ighalo
RW: Sancho, Greenwood, James
LW: Rashford, Sancho, Martial, James
No need and space for Lingard and Pereira in these positions. They both need to se sold.
Absolutely, pretty sure we need to sell first before we can sign Grealish, and then we have a very flexible and fluid attack to rotate around.

Attack consisting of Martial, Rashford, Sancho, Greenwood and Grealish is terrifying.

EDIT:
Look at that English flair goodness! :lol: :drool:

gorky_utd

Is not there any cheap alternative in la liga or other leagues because 70 80 million for grealish who will not be a starter seems too much for me. I mean chelsea is supposedly signing havertz for 100m who is much younger and probably a bigger talent.

gajender

Well, if Sancho cost us at least 110 million pounds, we don't have anymore big signings to be honest. Let's see how much we can get from player sales to get Grealish:

I think we're very lucky to get 50 million pounds and use that money for Grealish...but I doubt so.
Have some faith brother my personal belief is we will bring 3 players atleast this summer whether they would be big money signings or not they should be the right signings for all I care just hoping one of them is CDM capable of starting regularly for us that would elevate our team to the next level .

meamth

Have some faith brother my personal belief is we will bring 3 players atleast this summer whether they would be big money signings or not they should be the right signings for all I care just hoping one of them is CDM capable of starting regularly for us that would elevate our team to the next level .
That's the dilemma isn't it? another CDM will limit McT's playing time more, and Matic will be less important to us. I think CDM can wait, we're fairly stocked in midfield to be honest. I would rather give Garner playing time instead of another CDM.

Right now at this moment, Sancho is the right addition, Grealish should upgrade our depth, and maybe...just maybe Declan Rice if he's available. He can slot in CB and CDM position like you mentioned.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite

If we sign Grealish, we don't need Fred. Also Bailly could make a way.

theklr

I dunno about that, who are we going to play instead of Bruno when he is injured or just too fatigued ?

OrcaFat

If we sign Grealish, we don't need Fred. Also Bailly could make a way.
Fred is an 8 or 6 at a push. Grealish is a 10. Fred is back up for Pogba / Matić as they are currently being used - I don’t see Grealish playing there, surely.

Highfather_24

Ehhh, there's some middle ground between first team player and flop. I think he is a decent squad player, who should come off the bench sometimes. Not someone I would count on to change the tide of the game or start regularly. Sancho, Rashford and Greenwood would be the first picks for the 2 wide positions. James can be backup against the weaker teams, or someone who can bring some pace and workrate coming off the bench. Not everyone in the squad has to be a world beater.

ManRed

We need to sell atleast 2 from Andreas, Juan and Jesse before we can go and make this transfer. We are overstocked in the position with mediocre players and need to sell before we buy.

There is no need to rush this transfer and can be completed next month. I doubt any other club will be in for him or will make him a priority signing in the current transfer market.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Fred is an 8 or 6 at a push. Grealish is a 10. Fred is back up for Pogba / Matić as they are currently being used - I don’t see Grealish playing there, surely.
We have McTom for Matic. And Grealish or Bruno can play Pogba position.

E-mal

I have a feeling it will be 3 players this season and Grealish will be one of them.
Personally will be satisfied with Sancho, Grealish and Badershile.

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
I'd be happy if we signed him if we offloaded lingard and Andrea's, I feel bad as they're academy lads and they're good footballers but United need elite talent.

Clique

We have McTom for Matic. And Grealish or Bruno can play Pogba position.
Don't think Grealish would be well adjusted to play the Pogba role, in the system we play today. You'll notice Grealish to carry the ball and dribble a lot more than dictate play from deep.

In the games I've seen of Aston Villa - I've seen him get a free role popping up across the midfield trying to create something and that's where you'll get the most out of his talents. By buying him, we're more or less saying he'll be a back-up to Rashford or to Bruno and I'm not too sure he'd want to go from playing every match in the PL to back-up especially so early in his career.

Infra-red

Don't think Grealish would be well adjusted to play the Pogba role, in the system we play today. You'll notice Grealish to carry the ball and dribble a lot more than dictate play from deep.

In the games I've seen of Aston Villa - I've seen him get a free role popping up across the midfield trying to create something and that's where you'll get the most out of his talents. By buying him, we're more or less saying he'll be a back-up to Rashford or to Bruno and I'm not too sure he'd want to go from playing every match in the PL to back-up especially so early in his career.
I would have to agree. I don't think we'd want him playing deeper in a double pivot alongside Matic.

However, if we want a versatile backup/rotation option for Bruno/Rashford/Sancho(hopefully!) then he would not be a bad choice. I fear that if Bruno was to be injured for any significant period, we'd once again find ourselves suffering because of a dearth of creativity in the final third. Grealish would ease some of those fears.

TheNewEra

Knows Kroos' mentality

I think Grealish is great for buying free-kicks, time, good under pressure, he can carry the ball, he's a complete player for me box-to-box.

I like how he can cross from any angle which is great for wide areas, he won't be drawn central like Bruno is at times, Grealish can play anywhere, honestly Grealish is worth the 50-60M price tag with an add-on of 15-20M in my eyes.

It's not just English hype he's genuinely a top class player.

I don't think he'd be a back-up at all, I think he'd be a player for certain games where he's needed, and he would play in 40+ games a season still, United are in so many competitions that he would still get the same games, and in some games he'd be first pick.

In games where you need width, and you want Sancho, Martial, Rashford in the box, Greenwood can take the wide position.

You can even play a team like... against stubborn teams, obviously Matic would be preferred, but the point is Grealish can offer width and you can have Rashford, Martial, Sancho, Bruno all around the box.

It might even possible to do a 3 at the back and overload the attack, I think United have a very capable squad now, but I do see Grealish as a very good addition.

The only addition post Grealish is a CDM and a CB but that can wait for future windows.

Last edited:

theklr

He will still probably play most of the matches, just probably 30-40 minutes. But with a injury to either Pogba or Bruno / Rashford he'll start quite frequently

jamesjimmybyrondean

Alot of people here will agree that Chelsea spending 60m on Chillwell when there are other solid cheaper options like Reguilon and Tagliafico is a dumb move. It's the same with Grealish

Mihai

Sanchez is between £40 and £60 on wages alone.

Mahrez cost £75mil and he’s not a starter, if you want to challenge for trophies you need a strong squad.

Status
Not open for further replies.