Jack Grealish / signs new 5 year contract

Status
Not open for further replies.

Idxomer

Could be a good alternative to Sancho.

He has the ability to play multiple positions in midfield or more forward but the right-wing is the one area he doesn't favor much. The club would then need to buy someone who could play there to take the load off Greenwood when needed, that option should be much cheaper than Sancho

Freak

Born a freak always a freak.

He has the ability to play multiple positions in midfield or more forward but the right-wing is the one area he doesn't favor much. The club would then need to buy someone who could play there to take the load off Greenwood when needed, that option should be much cheaper than Sancho
I often see him interchange with whoever starts on the right wing for Villa. I think he is capable of playing there.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
So we can go back to 80m offer for Grealish. Maybe this time 40+20+20 will do the trick?

pratyush_utd

Can't tell DeGea and Onana apart.
His time will come. Right now all Muppets are needed in Sancho thread. We can't divide our attention.

We do one transfer at a time like United;)

Baneofthegame

We first and foremost need a RW, whilst Mason has been great, he will eventually be a ST, Grealish cannot play RW.

Chief123

Wow, getting Grealish instead of Sancho would be incredibly underwhelming. If we sign Grealish anywhere near the £80m mark then it makes the Sancho saga even more ridiculous. Sancho is head and shoulders above Grealish.

Grealish can most certainly not play as a right winger. Well he can, but not very effectively! I don’t understand this obsession of shoe horning players into our problem areas.

Sancho is the ultimate solution. Should be doing everything to get him!

pratyush_utd

Can't tell DeGea and Onana apart.
Because certain he will join Chelsea after Europa League campaign is complete
It's because we never actually went for him after we decided to go after Sancho. He was one of the targets in Feb if I remember correctly. If we can spend 70m on Grealish then surely going after 90m Havertz makes more sense

RDCR07

Not a bad guy (Whale Killer)
It's because we never actually went for him after we decided to go after Sancho. He was one of the targets in Feb if I remember correctly. If we can spend 70m on Grealish then surely going after 90m Havertz makes more sense
Don’t worry it ll be the same negotiation tactics if we try for him. Ed will try and find a way to lower the price by 5-10m by which time Chelsea will come in and swoop.

lex talionis

I really hope Grealish isn't a fallback for Sancho. The gulf in class between the two is massive. But as a super sub at 50? Sure, but only if we've address the DM situation first.

nyanza

Then why bother buying Grealish? Why not buy Havertz instead?
Because then we go to why not just buy Sancho for 108. I don't think that Grealish is worth 70 at all but if we back off Sancho, paying 90 for Havertz would also be pretty stupid.

Woeisme

Would Grealish on the left side of the front 3, be better than Rashford on the left side of the front 3?

Rashford could move over to the right, or better still, beside James.

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City
A bit disappointed Villa managed to stay up. I can't see them selling Grealish after that fact.

Beachryan

More helpful with spreadsheets than Phurry
I want Grealish at United, I think he instantly upgrades the squad significantly and wouldn't be hugely surprised (whispers quietly) if he displaced Rashford on the left more often than people think.

But, I've watched Villa a fair amount this year and he almost never plays on the right. He is most definitely not a 'right winger'. It would be yet another square peg round hole signing.

He should be bought to replace Perreira, Lingard and potentially Mata, and provide depth in attacking positions. He should not be bought to be a first XI RWF, because he is not that player, and never will be.

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
This guy is gonna suffer from Zaha syndrome if Villa establish themselves midtable. He’ll never get out of there with that £80m price tag.

Amerifan

Wow, getting Grealish instead of Sancho would be incredibly underwhelming. If we sign Grealish anywhere near the £80m mark then it makes the Sancho saga even more ridiculous. Sancho is head and shoulders above Grealish.

Grealish can most certainly not play as a right winger. Well he can, but not very effectively! I don’t understand this obsession of shoe horning players into our problem areas.

Sancho is the ultimate solution. Should be doing everything to get him!
Agreed. If we can’t sign Sancho this window save our money and try again next window.

croadyman

I want Grealish at United, I think he instantly upgrades the squad significantly and wouldn't be hugely surprised (whispers quietly) if he displaced Rashford on the left more often than people think.

But, I've watched Villa a fair amount this year and he almost never plays on the right. He is most definitely not a 'right winger'. It would be yet another square peg round hole signing.

He should be bought to replace Perreira, Lingard and potentially Mata, and provide depth in attacking positions. He should not be bought to be a first XI RWF, because he is not that player, and never will be.
Yeah there is no doubt in my mind that he would be a quality signing but much like Jadon he is going to have to push for this move if he really wants it. Honestly think this move was gonna be an absolute formality had Villa been relegated but as they have stayed up we shouldn't just write off any hopes of signing him as many things could happen before October.

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
Yeah there is no doubt in my mind that he would be a quality signing but much like Jadon he is going to have to push for this move if he really wants it. Honestly think this move was gonna be an absolute formality had Villa been relegated but as they have stayed up we shouldn't just write off any hopes of signing him as many things could happen before October.
Short of a monumental change of heart I can’t see him being at Villa.

El-Manos

How could you know that? Really?
Common sense. Let me clarify:

Covid will still be around next year, in other words as will any financial impact.
This is the second year we’ve declared our interest, we won’t be coming back a third time with more clubs possibly entering the race to sign him. It’s clearly now or never for us. We ignored the RW situation last summer, hence why we signed James but he was never meant to be a starter. We won’t be buying another “stop gap” option, we will sign a starting RW, of that I am certain. It’s been a glaring hole in our team for several years now. There is a reason we have declared Sancho as our primary target this summer. Still convinced we’re in this or we would have briefed the media we’ve pulled the plug as we have done In the past with Griezmann & Dybala.

Foritfied

All in on this fella.

As Sancho looks unlikely until next summer - we need someone like Grealish who can play across the front line and deputize for our attacking midfield if - God forbid - Bruno is out long term.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
If Havertz is going for £90m, a PL proven player like Grealish should be around £70m.
Havertz is known with world class potential while Grealish isn't.

I would say let him stay in Villa for another season, not going to hurt. His first season might look good but what about his 2nd season? Will PL players now learn how to stop him? If he stays, there is no guarantee Villa will stay up next season and it can help the buyers to get much cheaper than 70m.

SAFMUTD

If somehow we lose Sancho for not paying and end up paying above 50M for this overated british I will lose my mind.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
If somehow we lose Sancho for not paying and end up paying above 50M for this overated british I will lose my mind.
I don't think he's bad but yeah that would be a huge step down. Thing is, they aren't comparable in terms of talent or relevance. Grealish comes in to bolster our squad. I'm fine with us adding him but he doesn't solve any first 11 problems which still remain. He's a squad strengthening option.

starman

You do know Sancho is British, right? Why reference it for Grealish as some kind of reinforcement for being overrated?

SAFMUTD

You do know Sancho is British, right? Why reference it for Grealish as some kind of reinforcement for being overrated?
Sancho is a worldclass talent, he worths what he worths because of the player he is. if he was italian, chinesse or african wouldnt make a difference.

With Grealish we all know is not the same case, there are better players than him for that price. He has the "english tax" the same one we paid when we bought Maguire and the one we would have to pay if we wanted Maddison, Chilwell, Rice, etc any above average english is priced as top of the notch. There's a reason why the top clubs in the world dont have english footballers, its not lack of talent its simply theyre on the vast majority overpriced.

Status
Not open for further replies.