Jack Grenglish

Brophs

The One and Only
Mo Farah lives in Britain though and has done since he was 8, Mo Farah the athlete is result of British coaching and British funded money, so why shouldn't he represent Britain?

Grealish doesn't live in Ireland, Ireland have contributed nothing to Jack Greenlish the man or footballer and i can't see Ireland have done for him to warrant Grealish representing them.

He was born in England/grown in England/educated in England/lives in England/coached by an English club which was funded by English money and plays for an English club, English as English come if you ask me.
Oddly enough it's based on what the player wants, not this odd contributions and credits scheme you seem to favour.

Getsme

Mo Farah lives in Britain though and has done since he was 8, Mo Farah the athlete is result of British coaching and British funded money, so why shouldn't he represent Britain?

Grealish doesn't live in Ireland, Ireland have contributed nothing to Jack Greenlish the man or footballer and i can't see Ireland have done for him to warrant Grealish representing them.

He was born in England/grown in England/educated in England/lives in England/coached by an English club which was funded by English money and plays for an English club, English as English come if you ask me.
I’m from Northern Ireland, so I know only too well about players leaving us for other associations. However, we also have players who have played/playing for us who have been born outside the country yet I see them as being Northern Irish as someone who was born and bred in the country.

My son was born in Leicester, with his mum also being from Northern Ireland we see our son as being Irish, if he was lucky enough to play Sport I would want him to represent Northern Ireland, likewise, I wouldn’t be upset if he choose England. My point is, everyone has the right to choose who they represent.

Brophs

The One and Only

I think he's as good as ours, we should look to cap him ASAP though. Memories of the nervy months leading to McCarthy's first full cap... Such relief when he eventually played in a full international.
I'm not professing to have ITK powers or anything, but I've heard different.

NoWinNoFee

kietotheworld mk2
My point is, everyone has the right to choose who they represent.
I'm all for that aswell, I think what i was getting at is if he chooses to represent England, I can't see why Ireland or Irish people would be upset by it or have any bitterness towards him in anyway.

He's English as English come (on paper) but if he feels more Irish due to heritage, then that's fair enough.

Brophs

The One and Only
I'm all for that aswell, I think what i was getting at is if he chooses to represent England, I can't see why Ireland or Irish people would be upset by it or have any bitterness towards him in anyway.

He's English as English come (on paper) but if he feels more Irish due to heritage, then that's fair enough.
I don't think many Irish would begrudge him. After all, we've been on the better end of that deal on plenty of occasions, of course the odd one will go against you.

saivet

It depends what the parents are like to be honest. One lad who went to my school was born and raised in England but his family was German, spoke it at home too but if he was ever to be a footballer he'd have chosen Germany over England. Not because they're better but he sees himself as German.

I have no idea about this lad but if his parents are 'proud' Irish parents then he isn't as English as English come.

Ramshock

CAF Pilib De Brún Translator
Swimming against a tide of idiots and spoofers

Randolph David Lerner of Brooklyn, NY USA says hello Mr English Tourettes

Señor

Humongous twit who can't read
Surely MO'N is close to this lad and his family? Besides whats so great about playing for England they wont ever win a tournament
They'll reach the tournament though, at least.

NoWinNoFee

kietotheworld mk2
Who's the better talent for those who have seen both play enough times? Heard good things about Crowley.

With Roy Keane at Villa and current Republic of Ireland assistant manager you get the feeling he will be on to Grealish about representing Ireland, personally i think it's wrong to do that to a undecided teen. The Irish FA approach young talented footballers who wasn't born in Ireland as young as 16.

16-20 year olds, don't realize if they represent Ireland there's a good chance they won't play at a World Cup and approaching kids like that before they've even made it is just not right in my opinion and there should be a rule against it.

Ringo 07

He's simply not going to commit to any international football with anyone until he has a new 5 year contract penned at Villa. He'll wait until his financial future is secure with a big contract before making that call. One of the papers recently said he'd prefer to wait to see if Hodgson calls him up to England as that would be his preference so if he makes that choice then good luck to him and we'll move on......but plenty of BS in the papers these days so you never know what to believe. He'd be a much more valuable asset to an Ireland team in desperate need of some more quality but again If he chooses England then in Ireland we'll only be too happy to respect his decision.

Nanook

Who's the better talent for those who have seen both play enough times? Heard good things about Crowley.

With Roy Keane at Villa and current Republic of Ireland assistant manager you get the feeling he will be on to Grealish about representing Ireland, personally i think it's wrong to do that to a undecided teen. The Irish FA approach young talented footballers who wasn't born in Ireland as young as 16.

16-20 year olds, don't realize if they represent Ireland there's a good chance they won't play at a World Cup and approaching kids like that before they've even made it is just not right in my opinion and there should be a rule against it.
The last time Ireland played in a World Cup Jack Grealish was 6 years old, I guarantee he fully understands that playing for Ireland will mean there is a chance he won't go to a World Cup. I think he's waiting for the England call and if it doesn't come then Ireland is a back up option.

Joemo

whistling in the wind
16-20 year olds, don't realize if they represent Ireland there's a good chance they won't play at a World Cup
I know footballers are stereotypically thick, but they're not that thick! I should imagine they know that it's unlikely they'll qualify, but at the same time a lot of them probably have the confidence/ego to think that they'll be the player or group of players to break the tradition.

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...

So because the English FA have their head up their ass young lads like Jack shouldn't get to play international football? You also don't think the English FA haven't been pestering Jack to come play for England? I can tell you that they have. Jack's brother said over the summer that the English FA were calling him promising a starting role for the U19/20 side. Jack has really enjoyed his time in the Irish youth set-ups and there is a reason why he has continuously turned down the England youth sides. He is Irish so Ireland have every right to call him up. In the end it is his decision and no FA can force him to choose them.

Jack isn't going to be tricked into things either. He is a smart lad with a great father who looks out for his best interests. His brother has said agents have been ringing them up non-stop trying to get Jack on as a client and they aren't having any of it for now. Jack is also proud to be Irish and English. No FA, coach and certainly no posters on a forum are going to tell him he is either English or Irish. He is both and he will make the choice of which one to represent when the time comes. As for now he is a proud member of the Irish U21 setup and he loves working with Noel King.

When he does make his decision whichever one it is, I'll be happy for him and will be cheering him on. He is a great lad with a great family. And he absolutely loves Villa so I don't see him moving on from them soon.

NoWinNoFee

kietotheworld mk2
I know footballers are stereotypically thick, but they're not that thick!
Yeah but how many World Cup's will he have seen/remember when the Irish FA approached him at 16? He will get advice, but sometimes i wish people give advice whats best for HIM - People will no ties to him are going to say 'represent Ireland' such as Irish people on here/Roy Keane, but family members should be looking out for him and his career.

RexHamilton

Gumshoe for hire

How dare they approach young men of Irish parentage about the possibility of representing the country of their parents and grandparents. How dare they let them know that they are talented and would improve a poor side. I bet no one has told these boys that they can even play for England. How could they, what with all Fenians at his door conscripting them up to the Irish team.

NoWinNoFee

kietotheworld mk2
How dare they approach young men of Irish parentage about the possibility of representing the country of their parents and grandparents. How dare they let them know that they are talented and would improve a poor side. I bet no one has told these boys that they can even play for England. How could they, what with all Fenians at his door conscripting them up to the Irish team.
Most who they approach aren't even footballers yet, still in school/or just left.

To me it seems the Irish FA have a list of u14/u16 Premier League clubs academies, type each name into ancestry.co.uk to see if they have an Irish grandparent and if they do, get on the telephone/send some flowers and make some bullshit up. I don't care what anyone says, that shits not right for multiple reasons, but hows about just let them become footballers first?

Joemo

whistling in the wind
Yeah but how many World Cup's will he have seen/remember when the Irish FA approached him at 16? He will get advice, but sometimes i wish people give advice whats best for HIM - People will no ties to him are going to say 'represent Ireland' such as Irish people on here/Roy Keane, but family members should be looking out for him and his career.
What does that have to do with anything? He'll know the general footballing history of his national team by the age of 16, and if he's happy to sacrifice some national success to represent the country that he truly wants to play for then what's there to complain about?

With regards to "what's best for him", how do you define what's good for somebody? Does reaching the group stages of the Euros/WC before losing and having the press on your back count as more of a success than being one of your national teams most talented players/winning personal awards?

I don't actually know the details with Jack with regards to his heritage but if he feels like he connects with the country of his parent's birth then rightly so he can represent said country.

How do you feel about Giuseppe Rossi playing for Italy?

RexHamilton

Gumshoe for hire
Most who they approach aren't even footballers yet, still in school/or just left.

To me it seems the Irish FA have a list of u14/u16 Premier League clubs academies, type each name into ancestry.co.uk to see if they have an Irish grandparent and if they do, get on the telephone/send some flowers and make some bullshit up. I don't care what anyone says, thats not right for multiple reasons, but hows about just let them become footballers first?
You do know that The FA would be doing something similar and if a player is of Irish descent or any other nationality would be eager to convince them that they have a future with England. You can also bet if there was a top young player playing in any other country who had an English parent they would be doing the exact same thing. Owen Hargreaves for example. A Canadian whose first international experience came for Wales.

England were also sniffing round our Adnan despite the fact that he has no English connection and were telling him he had a future with England if he abstained from International football until he was in the country long enough to qualify to play.

Also, if you look at the boled part... you're speculating completely and vilifying a whole organisation based on absolutely no facts. You even complained that it is wrong that Roy Keane will be 'tapping up' Grealish despite the fact that you have no idea whether he is or not.

Red Stone

Needs to make his mind up on whether he wants to commit to being Greal or not.

KiD MoYeS

Good Craig got his c'nuppins
For what it's worth he re-tweeted an FAI tweet the other day. I think he feels Irish or is at least proud of his heritage, choosing England would probably represent a better career path though as they always get piss easy qualifier groups.

KiD MoYeS

To me it seems the Irish FA have a list of u14/u16 Premier League clubs academies, type each name into ancestry.co.uk to see if they have an Irish grandparent and if they do, get on the telephone/send some flowers and make some bullshit up. I don't care what anyone says, that shits not right for multiple reasons, but hows about just let them become footballers first?
I guarantee every footballing association does the same. How dare a country attempt to gain it's best possible players...

Ole240599

This kid's Irish, albeit born in England. His upbringing, playing Gaelic football from the age of 8-14, has immersed him in the Irish culture. His Da is a Dub - there is no chance he'll declare for Ingerlund over Eire.

Getsme

This kid's Irish, albeit born in England. His upbringing, playing Gaelic football from the age of 8-14, has immersed him in the Irish culture. His Da is a Dub - there is no chance he'll declare for Ingerlund over Eire.
There's always a chance, we (Northern Ireland) have lost players even after they've played in a non competitive match for the first team.

Getsme

I guarantee every footballing association does the same. How dare a country attempt to gain it's best possible players...
In fairness, the Republic do it more than most, I'm not saying they are doing wrong, they are working within the rules and it's their right to approach these players.
However the ROI do like to spread their net wide and far, I could be wrong but it seems like they are putting very little money into their own academy's and instead relying on Scouting, would that be the case?

Getsme

Have England ever "nicked" (I say that in the loosest way possible) an Irish player before?
England, Northern Ireland, Scotland and Wales have a gentleman's agreement not to approach each other's players without consent from the players Association. As for the ROI, I can't think of a player that has switched to then go on and represent England's first team.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
Have England ever "nicked" (I say that in the loosest way possible) an Irish player before?
Not at the senior level, I think but Micheal Keane played for Ireland youth teams before switching for England.

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
England, Northern Ireland, Scotland and Wales have a gentleman's agreement not to approach each other's players without consent from the players Association. As for the ROI, I can't think of a player that has switched to then go on and represent England's first team.
James Morrison played at every level for England up to and including Under 21 but now plays for the Scotland full side. I guess he got consent from the English FA! I can't remember an occassion where an FA refused to let someone play for another national side.

NoWinNoFee

kietotheworld mk2
They do? Show me some examples of associations pestering kids who aren't even footballers yet - Don't say England with Januzaj, Januzaj was 19 years old/played for Manchester United and impressed for Manchester United before England 'looked into' the possibility of him representing England and i highlight the word 'looked into' Ireland certainly don't look into eligibility in their approach of youngsters and old non-professionals and as said it's wrong what they do.

I don't care what anyone says, the grandparent rule (or should i say how Ireland use it) is a joke and approaching 16 year old kids at school (or just left) who aren't even footballers yet is wrong on so many levels.

I'm all for footballers representing nations of non-birth due to immigration and if that particular nation as done something in the development of the man/the footballer of said player. The only other way i believe footballers should represent a country they wasn't born in is if a footballer is not good enough for their country of birthday/has got to 25 and want to play international football (ie Phil Bardsley) i believe that's what the grandparent rule was designed for, it shouldn't be abused for taping-up the best young talents before they've made it and as said there should be a rule against it.

Last edited:

Mr Anderson

Eats, shoots, leaves
We gave you lot legends like Cascarino. You owe us a few superstars.
Alright, you can have Conor Sammon.

Few keyboard warriors here all the same. No. It's my Jack Grealish. It's my child. I nursed it. I nourished it. I saw to his every want. I dug the rocks out of the pitch with my bare hands and I made a living thing of it! My only want is that green Grealish, that lovely green Grealish, and you want to take it away from me, and in the sight of God I can't let you do that!

KiD MoYeS

In fairness, the Republic do it more than most, I'm not saying they are doing wrong, they are working within the rules and it's their right to approach these players.
However the ROI do like to spread their net wide and far, I could be wrong but it seems like they are putting very little money into their own academy's and instead relying on Scouting, would that be the case?
We're a tiny nation and competing with rugby and gaelic games for football players. We're dead right to cast our net far and wide, it's worked successfully in the past.