Jack Grenglish

Kag

Just because he said No to England when they begged him to be national coach doesn't mean you have to be a gimp. O'Neill is a world class coach who never had the funds at club level to do his managerial talents justice. I'm just so happy that O'Neill and not a bluffer like Hodgson is Ireland manager
Righto.

J-Stander

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
The man Is world class...O'Neill has an aura about him that only the greats have...an aura that the likes of Hodgson, Moyes, McClaren etc can only dream of having and I believe time will prove that
Jesus :houllier: I've read some ridiculous statements on here before but that is right up there.

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
It's a marvellous career decision, unlike Sterling, he won't get exhausted all the time with those 3 extra games that he's relatively less likely to have to play once every four years.
Add a worldie like Grealish to a side that is already drawing Germany and we'll be winning tournaments, let alone 3 extra games.

And why does that article only mention a grandparent from Galway, I'm fairly sure his dad is from Dublin.

Mockney

Not the only poster to be named Poster of the Year
The man Is world class...O'Neill has an aura about him that only the greats have...an aura that the likes of Hodgson, Moyes, McClaren etc can only dream of having and I believe time will prove that
Well he's 62 so he better hurry up. Pep & Jose can't hold the fort forever.

El-Manos

Absolutely amazing news :) Get In :) delighted that this super kid has declared for us....obviously proud of his roots....it will be another 3 or 4 years before he is ready for the first team though....but a huge boost to ireland....having a world class coach in martin o'neill definitely helped the situation.....this news has made my day...Grealish has just signed a new 4 year deal with villa so he obviously wanted to secure his own and his families financial future before commiting to international football which is very understandable
Why so long? He could be ready soon enough if you ask me. And O'neill is not a world-class coach:lol:. Craggy Island is not doing you well lad.

Skills

Snitch
:lol:

Nanook

What an awful career decision.

Grandparent rule :houllier:
It depends how good he gets, if he turns into a world class player which is unlikely but not impossible then it probably is a bad career decision to choose Ireland. It's more likely that he'll just become a good premier league player and if he were to play for England as a winger/attacking midfielder he would be competing with Sterling and Barkely.

I'd rather play for Ireland and earn potentially 100+ caps for them then being a bit part player for England, even if that means not going to a World Cup with Ireland.

Getsme

Indeed

Just because he said No to England when they begged him to be national coach doesn't mean you have to be a gimp. O'Neill is a world class coach who never had the funds at club level to do his managerial talents justice. I'm just so happy that O'Neill and not a bluffer like Hodgson is Ireland manager
Martin O'Neil is nowhere near the level required to even be considered a World Class coach :lol:

Red Comet

I'll like to have some of what you are having son.

Nighteyes

Another Muppet
:lol::lol:

O'Neill is not even better than Moyes or MClaren let alone world class.

FlawlessThaw

most 'know it all' poster
O'Neill is not better than Moyes, reckon he would flounder just as much as the latter did with a top team.

De Selby

Scottish
Supports
Guangzhou Pharmaceutical F.C.
Add a worldie like Grealish to a side that is already drawing Germany and we'll be winning tournaments, let alone 3 extra games.

And why does that article only mention a grandparent from Galway, I'm fairly sure his dad is from Dublin.
Yeah, I've seen a few articles that state his Dad's from Dublin.

Ringo 07

O'Neill is not better than Moyes, reckon he would flounder just as much as the latter did with a top team.
I completely agree....but I think O'Neill has way more personality than Moyes. Both managers are masters at getting the best out of smaller teams which is why O'Neill is perfect for Ireland. After painful reigns under Staunton, Kerr and Trap - we are lucky to have O'Neill.....but yes O'Neill is not trained tactically to handle a team like utd

NoWinNoFee

kietotheworld mk2
It depends how good he gets, if he turns into a world class player which is unlikely but not impossible then it probably is a bad career decision to choose Ireland. It's more likely that he'll just become a good premier league player and if he were to play for England as a winger/attacking midfielder he would be competing with Sterling and Barkely.

I'd rather play for Ireland and earn potentially 100+ caps for them then being a bit part player for England, even if that means not going to a World Cup with Ireland.
Central midfield is his position isn't it? Apparently talent is up there with Wilshere at the same age.

I can't really comment on him as a player as I've not seen him, all i can really do is comment on this decision and it seems absolute bonkers to me, England will be reaching quarter finals/semi-finals (hopefully finals) of major competitions during his career and he's choosing to represent a country who more times than not don't even qualify for these competitions, it's just strange and something which I'm sure he'll regret at the end of his career, in the same way Giggs probably does deep down.

Edit:- I'm thinking of Dan Crowley re:- comparisons to Wilshere.

FlawlessThaw

most 'know it all' poster
I completely agree....but I think O'Neill has way more personality than Moyes. Both managers are masters at getting the best out of smaller teams which is why O'Neill is perfect for Ireland. After painful reigns under Staunton, Kerr and Trap - we are lucky to have O'Neill.....but yes O'Neill is not trained tactically to handle a team like utd
Yeah I get that and it's something I agree with. I think Keane is also a big presence in this Irish dressing room and if Grealish declares his allegiance for Ireland, he will have played a big role there.

The United Irishman

"Martial is championship material at best"
Mo Farah lives in Britain though and has done since he was 8, Mo Farah the athlete is result of British coaching and British funded money, so why shouldn't he represent Britain?

Grealish doesn't live in Ireland, Ireland have contributed nothing to Jack Greenlish the man or footballer and i can't see Ireland have done for him to warrant Grealish representing them.

He was born in England/grown in England/educated in England/lives in England/coached by an English club which was funded by English money and plays for an English club, English as English come if you ask me.
Owen Hargreaves certainly wasn't raised or educated in England

KiD MoYeS

Good Craig got his c'nuppins
Central midfield is his position isn't it? Apparently talent is up there with Wilshere at the same age.

I can't really comment on him as a player as I've not seen him, all i can really do is comment on this decision and it seems absolute bonkers to me, England will be reaching quarter finals/semi-finals (hopefully finals) of major competitions during his career and he's choosing to represent a country who more times than not don't even qualify for these competitions, it's just strange and something which I'm sure he'll regret at the end of his career, in the same way Giggs probably does deep down.

:lol:

Sly

Hang Ten
Scout
Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
English teams always look very strong. The problem is when they get to the competitions.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID

There's been, what, nine major tournaments since England reached any semi-finals? 18 years since Euro 96. That's very nearly as long as Grealish has been alive.

Add in the fact that the England team is probably weaker right now than at any other point in those 18 years and it doesn't look like England will be seeing too many semi's or finals during Grealish's career either. Maybe he'd get three or four quarter finals at most, with the odd group stage knockout in between.

Last edited:

JulesWinnfield

West Brom Fan
English teams always look very strong. The problem is when they get to the competitions.
I dunno, the squad we took to the last one was awful - particularly the striker force, Marvin Sordell our best striker. In general it was full of players who were never going to make it.

The exciting thing about the current under 21's is they're very un-English in style and keep the ball extremely well.

There's been, what, nine major tournaments since England reached any semi-finals? 18 years since Euro 96. That's very nearly as long as Grealish has been alive.

Add in the fact that the England team is probably weaker right now than at any other point in those 18 years and it doesn't look like England will be seeing too many semi's or finals during Grealish's career either. Maybe he'd get three or four quarter finals at most, with the odd group stage knockout in between.
England have some of the best youth sides in Europe at the moment. There was a strange gap where we didn't produce much between anyone over 24/25 and the "golden generation" but there's plenty of top talents in the youth teams at the moment, and those youth teams are performing well. Grealish's generation will be the next 12 years, not what's happened the last 6. The under 17's just won their Euro's, the under 21's featuring a fair few of the player's who won the under 17 euro's in 2010 look very talented, and the under 19 squad has some very good talents within it at the moment.

Last edited:

Getsme

I dunno, the squad we took to the last one was awful - particularly the striker force, Marvin Sordell our best striker. In general it was full of players who were never going to make it.

The exciting thing about the current under 21's is they're very un-English in style and keep the ball extremely well.
From an outsiders point of view I'd say the English under 21s team looks stronger that the first team.

Sly

Hang Ten
Scout
Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal

I wasn´t talking specifically about under 21 teams, i was talking about english senior teams in major tournaments (in the context of what NoWinNoFee wrote).

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
England have some of the best youth sides in Europe at the moment. There was a strange gap where we didn't produce much between anyone over 24/25 and the "golden generation" but there's plenty of top talents in the youth teams at the moment, and those youth teams are performing well. Grealish's generation will be the next 12 years, not what's happened the last 6. The under 17's just won their Euro's, the under 21's featuring a fair few of the player's who won the under 17 euro's in 2010 look very talented, and the under 19 squad has some very good talents within it at the moment.
Aye, except I wasn't talking about the last six years, it stretches back further than that. England have been in one semi final in the last twenty-two years. Consider the talent they had in that period (including the golden generation). Now, are England's young players so much better than all these previous generations that they're going to be able to reach multiple semi-finals in the next twelve years? I seriously doubt it.

JulesWinnfield

West Brom Fan
Aye, except I wasn't talking about the last six years, it stretches back further than that. England have been in one semi final in the last twenty-two years. Consider the talent they had in that period (including the golden generation). Now, are England's young players so much better than all these previous generations that they're going to be able to reach multiple semi-finals in the next twelve years? I seriously doubt it.
They look like better footballers who are more in tune with the modern game, yes. That should serve them well. Besides which, if England's future is bad, what's Ireland's? They basically don't even do producing players anymore. Looking at their squad Coleman aside they've got absolutely no one aged under 30 who's actually Irish and any good. Not sustainable to keep hoping to pinch English and Scotsman. Extremely difficult to see them making a world cup unless something drastically changes there.

Nanook

Yeah, I've seen a few articles that state his Dad's from Dublin.

His dad's name is Kevin Grealish, according to his Facebook page he was educated at Archbishop William RC and Hall Green College, both in Birmingham. His father might have been born in Dublin but it looks like he was raised in England.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
They look like better footballers who are more in tune with the modern game, yes. That should serve them well. Besides which, if England's future is bad, what's Ireland's? They basically don't even do producing players anymore. Terrible choice to play for if you have any potential.
Not arguing that Ireland's is future is bright, we're facing a massive dearth of young talent atm, probably the worst we've seen in years.

It's not like opting for England guarantees major tournament glory either though, or anything near it. If England had a realistic chance of winning these tournaments then turning them down would be a bigger deal but as is it's hardly the end of the world for Grealish's career.

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
His dad's name is Kevin Grealish, according to his Facebook page he was educated at Archbishop William RC and Hall Green College, both in Birmingham. His father might have been born in Dublin but it looks like he was raised in England.
Nice facebook stalking. I think Jack's brother mentioned their dad being from Dublin, maybe not, if so I suppose he moved over as a kid.

He posted the Jack declaring for Ireland article. Get the champagne back out boys!