Jack Rodwell | Sold to City

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
I've a feeling we will consider Nasri more important than Silva by May.
I doubt it, nasri is very much a player who has strong starts to the season but then after a few months becomes invisible and does nothing. Can't see him changing all that much, he's never shown any balls either to change when the going gets tough.

ecantona7

Whatever happens, there are always things you coul

Garethw

scored 25-30 goals a season as a right footed RW
£20 million is crazy money for a kid with Rodwells injury record.

GlastonSpur

Also disliked on an Aston Villa forum
Supports
Spurs
Sorry for taking this thread off-topic.

But Rodwell deal is now completed. 5yr deal with 15m rising to 18m with addons according to James Ducker.
18m for Rodwell is a silly price. But then I guess, sugar-daddy rules OK.

GlastonSpur

Also disliked on an Aston Villa forum
Supports
Spurs
There's a distinct difference in holding down a place at United and Spurs. ...
True. Holding down a place in the Spurs CM - and it's CM we're talking about - is much tougher.

holdsteady

Hates Sir Alex Ferguson
In 8 years Rodwell will be playing well for a middling West Ham side and win Player of the Year, while every journalist praises him and wonder why he never made it at the highest level.

apotheosis

O'Fortuna
Lets hope so as that will mean City have been successful with him.
If he steers clear of injury, i can see him being a turbo charged version of Barry in a few years. Barry is a decent all rounder but lacks pace. Rodwell has pretty much all the attributes barring fitness atm.

I think it could prove a shrewd buy for City in a few years.

Garethw

Where have you got 20 million from????
Is he on the obligatory 200,000 a week as well?
Talksport were saying earlier that the fee is reportedly in the region of £20 million. Not the most reliably of sources I know.

Garethw

IF he fulfills his potential, he'll be a beast of a player.

Beachryan

More helpful with spreadsheets than Phurry
I'd of taken Rodwell at 12m. He is a talented kid, and a big lad - one would assume his injuries will eventually settle down.

Lord knows our midfield could use the bolstering more than theirs.

Antisocial

Has a Sony home cinema
I'm surprised it's as low as £12m tbh; the links with us a couple of years ago were well above that (tabloid nonsense I know, but still), and it's City that Everton were dealing with here. I'd expect them to get more for him than that from them.

FlawlessThaw

most 'know it all' poster
True. Holding down a place in the Spurs CM - and it's CM we're talking about - is much tougher.
Not really. Modric aside (and he's desperate to leave) no one else comes close to Carrick and Scholes. "much tougher" indeed.

The reason this place bangs on about our midfield is because we can't compete there against City, Chelsea and probably Arsenal. It doesn't suddenly mean the likes of Newcastle, Spurs and Liverpool suddenly are "much" better in CM than us.

puNANI

He is overrated on here. I've watched a lot of his games and he's failed to impress me on many occasions. He does have the potential to be a good player but not as good as some think.

gooDevil

Worst scout ever
Not really. Modric aside (and he's desperate to leave) no one else comes close to Carrick and Scholes. "much tougher" indeed.

The reason this place bangs on about our midfield is because we can't compete there against City, Chelsea and probably Arsenal. It doesn't suddenly mean the likes of Newcastle, Spurs and Liverpool suddenly are "much" better in CM than us.
I think our midfield is fine against Chelsea and Arsenal, it's Real and Barca that we want to catch up to in midfield. City looked better than us in midfield last season but that is the first time that's happened in a long time so I wouldn't say we've been trying to catch up to them these last years.

Ekeke

£12 million is fairly sensible if true. Still, says something if we havent come in for him at that price.

Justin

He was quoted for what 30million a couple of years ago? Shows how far he has fallen during that time.

Jimy_Hills_Chin

Desperately wants to be ITK
The Times and The Guardian are both reporting that the fee starts at 15m. They are the two most reliable sports papers so it is safest to go with their fees.

Steven Seagull

He'll probably get just as many games at city. Then every wanker round here will be moaning about value. I find this transfer difficult to comprehend. I think Rodwell is a good player, he just never seems to get involved enough. I feel like I watch games and never learn anything about him

FlawlessThaw

most 'know it all' poster
I think our midfield is fine against Chelsea and Arsenal, it's Real and Barca that we want to catch up to in midfield. City looked better than us in midfield last season but that is the first time that's happened in a long time so I wouldn't say we've been trying to catch up to them these last years.
Either way the Spurs midfield isn't "Much better" that's for sure.

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
Who do we think will be the better player/signing between him and Allen?

Cina

Liverpool need Allen far more than City need Rodwell, so based on that probably Allen, for the moment at least. Rodwell is probably the more talented though, and a little younger, but less established.

But I think Rodgers will do a better job with Allen at Pool than Mancini will with Rodwell at City, so I'll go with Allen.

Coxy

Allen.

For me Allen is the better player anyway - but Allen will play far more games too as he will be in the first team.

A silly move for Rodwell imo.

apotheosis

O'Fortuna
Rodwell for me. Not because he has better technical ability than Allen, but because he has more attributes and versatility to his game. If Rodwell stays fit he could become a really good all round midfielder, capable of playing a variety of different positions effectively.

Allen looks talented on the ball, but i have heard his off the ball work questioned by some pundits, and it remains to be seen whether he can make the step up.

Will either of them get the games they need to develop? Who knows? But you would have to think Allen has a bit less competition at Pool than Rodwell has at City.

ICIP

Rodwell will be a slow burner I imagine.

Right now Barry has come off the back of probably his best season yet, he'll still be first choice this season alongside Toure and rightly so. Then there's still Milner and De Jong who can fill in where Rodwell wants to play.

However I think that will suit his development. Rodwell looks like Barry's long term replacement, ie a strong combatative midfielder with sound technical ability. So he has a good 2-3 seasons before he needs to be a 60 game a season man. So we've got a long time to mould him, and fortunately, we're not going to need to play him every week even when he could really do with a rest like Everton.

Allen will initially seem the better signing, but in 3 years when Rodgers is gone and he leaves for peanuts, Rodwell will probably be just establishing himself in our first team. And then a few years on again there'll be no doubt who's the better signing imo.

However Liverpool need their talent now, we can afford to wait. So each signing suits each club.

RedLars

Rodwell will be a slow burner I imagine.

Right now Barry has come off the back of probably his best season yet, he'll still be first choice this season alongside Toure and rightly so. Then there's still Milner and De Jong who can fill in where Rodwell wants to play.

However I think that will suit his development. Rodwell looks like Barry's long term replacement, ie a strong combatative midfielder with sound technical ability. So he has a good 2-3 seasons before he needs to be a 60 game a season man. So we've got a long time to mould him, and fortunately, we're not going to need to play him every week even when he could really do with a rest like Everton.

Allen will initially seem the better signing, but in 3 years when Rodgers is gone and he leaves for peanuts, Rodwell will probably be just establishing himself in our first team. And then a few years on again there'll be no doubt who's the better signing imo.

However Liverpool need their talent now, we can afford to wait. So each signing suits each club.
The bolded part is simply not true. He has never played more than 17 matches at Everton, and it's not all because of injuries. He's been benched a fair share of the times as well.

Other than that I agree with much of what you're saying. He's probably signed as a long term successor to Gareth Barry, and he should be capable of taking up the mantle. Not sure if he will though