Jack Rodwell, wasted careers and players not playing football

AJ10

A. van der Meyde played about 50 games total after he left Ajax and he was 22 then. injuries did their part but he also had personal problems.

Zeki Fryers with 40 professional games so far and he's 26 (will turn 27 this year). how the time flies :annoyed:
Another player who thought he was better than he actually was.

SoCross

The hype train started to gain full throttle after he scored against us. Fantastic goal but think we were down to 10 at that point.

He certainly had the potential to have a much better career than he’s having now.

RochaRoja

bit confused about your post as you've said maybe realised he wasn't going to be that good but if it were you that you'd be holding on that big contract as long as you could....which is what he did and I think you said you'd be doing. But then the next line you said playing in the championship would be pretty unfullingling so go to China or Middle East where the league is much better (which it's not). I don't think Jack really cares about being fulfilled with ambition anymore but that's my guess.

I think I know what you're trying to say, just seem to be conflicting quite a bit space of text.

If it were me and I was Jack, and I had the injuries he had plus perhaps I realised I was just not that good and motivation my had gone but a club was stupid enough to sign you up on a stupid contract, then I'd have done the same thing. I don't think there's anything wrong in what he's done. You also don't know if the guy is suffering mentally once he gets home which might be impacting his performances and enthusiasm...moving to Sunderland would do that to many people...
I’m not saying that playing in China or the ME would be fulfilling either, just that I’d sell out rather than get a move to a lower Championship team to play games.

RochaRoja

Didn't Wayne Bridge spend most of his peak years on Chelsea's bench, refusing moves?

I understand the temptation to make a shed load of cash but past a certain point, is that all there is? Once you're rich enough to retire (aged 24), surely you'd want to look back on the football you played?
If you’re at a club winning trophies and you’re still getting games as a rotation player, I don’t see the problem.

It’s always better to be a squad player at a big club than a starter at a smaller club imo. Solskjær is the perfect example of that.

I bet Bridge looks back on his years as Ashley Cole’s reserve winning medals more fondly than his later years where he was bouncing around mediocre teams doing nothing of note.

Andy_Cole

Micah Richards, is he still alive?
To be fair to him, his knees went at 28. A very top heavy guy, playing from 16. He managed to get one last big contract from Villa. Was hoping to have a bit of a Ledley King role with them, they were silly to pay him so much and tie him down.

Source: a family member is a good friend of mine.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Keepers always big ones.

Richard Wright and Stuart Taylor basically both spent 10 years of their career in the game being reserve keepers.

Fair enough you move to a club and then they sign a new number one who's young and pretty good. However those keepers were actually moving to clubs who were well stocked with keepers so they weren't interested in playing at all.

Rob Green seems to have become this in recent year, was at Huddersfield last season and now at Chelsea but he has been a first choice for over 15 years in fairness to him.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
To be fair to him, his knees went at 28. A very top heavy guy, playing from 16. He managed to get one last big contract from Villa. Was hoping to have a bit of a Ledley King role with them, they were silly to pay him so much and tie him down.

Yep pretty legit. He last played for us in I think September 2016 and dosen't even make the bench nowadays. Madness we gave him a 4 year deal, it runs out in five months.

Bojan11

The difference between Ledley and Micah was that Ledley used his brain when it came to defending. Micah rarely used his brain and his pace always seemed to bail him out. Him not training very much isn’t going to work for a player like him.

I don’t blame these players anyway for sitting in their contracts. At end of the day it was clubs who offered them, why should they leave if they not getting better money?

The same can be said about Fraser Forster. He was number 1 and signed a new contract last year. Then like a month later he was dropped. Even thought it should have been sooner yet the club gave him the new contract even though he was in poor form. Now they struggling to get rid of him.

RochaRoja

England was desperate for a good DM around that time but had a lot of good CBs. Rodwell probably saw that as his best pathway into international football.

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
The best player in a pub-team is probably a player that played youth football at a top 40 club in England and quit very early because of injuries. It really depends on how lucky you are, that is if the injuries you sustain can be worked with, and how you are prepared to deal with the injuries mentally.

Eiður Guðjohnsen suffered horrible injuries at PSV. He had just starting playing alongside Ronaldo for the first team when he got injured. He's in a country where he knows no one, can only speak to his family via landline a few times a week and he has to recover on his own. What he did was watch as much football as he could. He just studied it. After about 2 years of being out injured he was back to Iceland and everyone though he was done at 20 but he bossed the league and got a contract with Bolton. He says he owes his career to that injury because of how he developed his football brain when he couldn't do anything else. He also didn't give up. Many players don't recover because they sort of give up and come back scared from an injury and play like they aren't 100% which just makes it more likely that you'll get injured again. So much of the recovery us mental but of course there's also just bad luck which generally are knee injuries. And of course some people just can't handle the profession mentally and just break down. I can imagine Rodwell that being the case with Rodwell now and he probably needs professional help to get back in shape.

redIndianDevil

Clubs throw out so many players who are not good enough every year and let them fend for themselves when such young players used up so much of their time in football. No one bats an eyelid at this, no many people care about the local youth who tried to play for that club, but when one player decides to make his money from a billionaire owned clubs, suddenly the moral police and the moron fans come out in full flow calling out the player. they are all idiots really. It should be player power all the way, if you cannot afford to pay high wages and you still go ahead and sign players trying to get the TV cash, then the owner can feck right off.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
Why do people talk about an earnings window for footballers seeming allowing them to justly earn whatever. If you retire or get injured retrain and get another fecking job, easy route is do your coaching badges or do a journalism course. If you are really that lazy go to McDonalds.

Cee90

Redcafe Fantasy Football Champion 2012/13
Rodrigo Possebon. 29 years old 11 clubs. Averages 7 appearances per club. Weird huh.
Ah Rodrigo.

I remember being convinced he was the next big thing for us, he seemed to have a lot of quality at a young age which never amounted to anything unfortunately.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
Clubs throw out so many players who are not good enough every year and let them fend for themselves when such young players used up so much of their time in football. No one bats an eyelid at this, no many people care about the local youth who tried to play for that club, but when one player decides to make his money from a billionaire owned clubs, suddenly the moral police and the moron fans come out in full flow calling out the player. they are all idiots really. It should be player power all the way, if you cannot afford to pay high wages and you still go ahead and sign players trying to get the TV cash, then the owner can feck right off.
Come on they tried and failed in a sport they should have loved, many, many people fail in a career choice they wanted and had to work else where. Why do we idolise these players and hold them up on a pedestal. As for Rodwell, it’s his choice what to do, it’s hard to blame him as it’s the club who gave him the contract.

rcoobc

Not as crap as eferyone thinks
Why do people talk about an earnings window for footballers seeming allowing them to justly earn whatever. If you retire or get injured retrain and get another fecking job, easy route is do your coaching badges or do a journalism course. If you are really that lazy go to McDonalds.
They're talking about footballers being top level earners and comparing to bankers, F1 stars etc.

Not comparing it to your average joe

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
They're talking about footballers being top level earners and comparing to bankers, F1 stars etc.

Not comparing it to your average joe
But why should they have to earn all their money in such a small period of time and not be expected to work on after their playing days are over?

rcoobc

Not as crap as eferyone thinks
But why should they have to earn all their money in such a small period of time and not be expected to work on after their playing days are over?
Ita a moot point because most footballers go bankripb within a few years of retiring anyway. Doesn't really matter how much they earn.

Over a 10-15 year period they've been able to spend every moment of their spare time living a luxury life. Their wives and girlfriend's get a taste for the good life.

Then suddenly they have nothing to do. Endless time to spend spend spend.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
What the feck. It’s something id do in FM when I’m bored

Currently have Freddy Adu in my Napoli team for example

Le Red

I never understood why Rodwell was moved to CM, never looked comfortable there.

He had the potential to be an England international CB.
I didn't even know he was once a CB. Always seem him play at CM since Everton and I always thought crazy that people said he was a big talent.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Wow that's mad, guy has a pretty good agent dosen't he!

I was actually thinking when I saw this thread had been bumped he hadn't played for Blackburn for ages so another club where he's done very little.

Smalling must've put in a word.

Nick7

What the feck. It’s something id do in FM when I’m bored

Currently have Freddy Adu in my Napoli team for example
:lol: I do that too. Usually sign up old United players. Had Ravel Morrison at my Sheffield Wednesday side.

KC91

More due to Roma’s injury woes than anything else, I believe they only had 1 midfielder available today.

Alex99

Rehab's Pete Doherty
:lol: I do that too. Usually sign up old United players. Had Ravel Morrison at my Sheffield Wednesday side.
I made a club with no players in the conference north on FM once and only signed ex united players. Filled it with old academy graduates in their twilight years to start with, then just kept tabs on who was released each season. Star signings in my first few seasons were Bojan Djordic, Roy Carroll and Mikael Silvestre. Ended up with a 38 year old Rooney in League One when I gave up on it.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
What exactly is the point you are trying to make here?

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Because they are supremely talented as football players.
There's zero guarantee, and quite a low likelihood that they'll excel at anything else later on. And if they do, it'll be for a fraction of their footballer wage.

It's obviously unthinkable to us "norms" how players earning 50k a week for years can ever end up broke.

Even to those of us with next to zero financial sense, we'd know to buy a few properties, and then whack loads into fixed term savings accounts, as an absolute minimum.
Before even paying a financial advisor!

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
That people go on about a players “earnings window” as an excuse for the stupidly high wages they get. Nothing stopping them getting a job after they retire.
The stupidly high wages they get are because of the TV deals, and they do have a limited window for earning at the top level.

I'm still not sure what point you're making. Are you advocating that Rodwell should have cancelled his contract as I've seen some suggest? Are you saying players should accept less for some reason?