Jack Rodwell, wasted careers and players not playing football

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
The stupidly high wages they get are because of the TV deals, and they do have a limited window for earning at the top level.

I'm still not sure what point you're making. Are you advocating that Rodwell should have cancelled his contract as I've seen some suggest? Are you saying players should accept less for some reason?
Nope the club gave him the contract and they should honour it, again my post was about a player “earning window” is really just bullshit, when they are playing they should be planning for when their time in the game is over. There is no reason why they can’t work past their retirement age. Some peoples excuse for the high wages is because they usually can’t work past their mid thirties if they are lucky.

Because they are supremely talented as football players.
There's zero guarantee, and quite a low likelihood that they'll excel at anything else later on. And if they do, it'll be for a fraction of their footballer wage.

It's obviously unthinkable to us "norms" how players earning 50k a week for years can ever end up broke.

Even to those of us with next to zero financial sense, we'd know to buy a few properties, and then whack loads into fixed term savings accounts, as an absolute minimum.
Before even paying a financial advisor!
Norms? They are human beings, they aren’t gods, why should they not work after they retire from football? They don’t save lives, they don’t put their life on the line for others, they are just sports people, end of.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
Nope the club gave him the contract and they should honour it, again my post was about a player “earning window” is really just bullshit, when they are playing they should be planning for when their time in the game is over. There is no reason why they can’t work past their retirement age. Some peoples excuse for the high wages is because they usually can’t work past their mid thirties if they are lucky.
It's not bullshit though, it's a simple fact that they have a limited career in the game.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
It's not bullshit though, it's a simple fact that they have a limited career in the game.
Yeah of course they do, that doesn’t mean they have a limited time to earn money though? Plenty of people have to retrain in order to make a living, I don’t see why footballers should be any different. That’s simply my point. Why people people hold footballers in such high regard I really don’t get, as a sport it’s more reliant on natural ability than most other top sports.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
Yeah of course they do, that doesn’t mean they have a limited time to earn money though? Plenty of people have to retrain in order to make a living, I don’t see why footballers should be any different. That’s simply my point. Why people people hold footballers in such high regard I really don’t get, as a sport it’s more reliant on natural ability than most other top sports.
It's nothing to do with holding them in high regard, it's just acknowledging the reality of the situation.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
It's nothing to do with holding them in high regard, it's just acknowledging the reality of the situation.
What situation? They earn top money for a limited time, should they not work after that if required? Plenty of opportunities still for them in the game, scout? Coach? Manager? Pundit? Most of which still earn a very good salary. Or even retrain to a different area, it’s not like they don’t have time during their “working” football career.

fps

What situation? They earn top money for a limited time, should they not work after that if required? Plenty of opportunities still for them in the game, scout? Coach? Manager? Pundit? Most of which still earn a very good salary. Or even retrain to a different area, it’s not like they don’t have time during their “working” football career.
There isn’t any should in wages, just market forces and their wages are nothing to do with limited time windows so it’s not a point worth arguing about.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
There isn’t any should in wages, just market forces and their wages are nothing to do with limited time windows so it’s not a point worth arguing about.
They earn their wages and I have no problem with it, yes I believe it’s over the top, but it is what it is. AGAIN my problem is the belief that they can’t have a career after football. I really don’t see what I’m saying is hard to agree with to be honest.

gza the genius

So they shouldn't take advantage of that window while they can because they can always just get another job?

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
Not an update but is this guy permanently injured?

200 apps in 13 years as a player, most of those in the first half.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Not an update but is this guy permanently injured?

200 apps in 13 years as a player, most of those in the first half.
Is he still at Sheffield United, kind of last track after his Sunderland spell.

I never really got the hype when he was coming through at Everton tbh.

Mad he's only 29. Means Man. City signed him at 21 (to fill the English quota) and he'd been around for ages at that point.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Simple really.. England were starved of midfield talent. Besides for Henderson and Barkley, struggling to even remember anyone else in that age bracket. Delph?
Wilshere was seen as the saviour around then....missed all of 11/12 injured and then his career has panned out in similar fashion since. Ox was signed by Arsenal around that time and seen as promising although more out wide initally.

Tom Cleverley also an England regular in those days.....

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
Currently a free agent and he has to be one of the biggest wasters out there. Perhaps Ravel Morrison wasted his talent but he quickly left virtually all the clubs he's played for whereas it seems Rodwell has been stealing a living while making a handful of appearances.

Xaviesta

Supports
Barcelona
Jack Rodwell has moved to Australia to play in the A-League for the Western Sydney Wanderers. He can renew old acquaintances with Daniel Sturridge who is also playing for Perth Glory. Don't want to be too down on my country's league but what a fall from grace for both players.

Dans

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Perhaps not wasted completely, but certainly unfilled re initial potential: Francis Jeffers (who's now 40!!).

MayosNoun

Supports
Chelsea
I hate people like Rodwell. A footballing mercenary with no loyalty, ambition or morality.

On the the other hand, the club offered him a contract and he’s within his rights to sit and earn money whilst doing nothing legally speaking. However, anyone with a passion about football couldn’t do this. Bogarde was our prime example.

Slithering reptiles who I wish nothing but misfortune on for the remainder of their career.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
I hate people like Rodwell. A footballing mercenary with no loyalty, ambition or morality.

On the the other hand, the club offered him a contract and he’s within his rights to sit and earn money whilst doing nothing legally speaking. However, anyone with a passion about football couldn’t do this. Bogarde was our prime example.

Slithering reptiles who I wish nothing but misfortune on for the remainder of their career.
Wow. It's not your fecking money! :lol:

I would do the exact same if I was one of these super injury prone players that someone had stupidly offered too long a contract to e.g. Micah Richards, Rodwell, Phil Jones. Why the feck would I pass up free money and top medical teams to go and get looked after by Darlington's physio for a tenth of the wages?

Ok if I knew I was tanking the club for some reason by staying maybe I'd look at it differently as I wouldn't want anyone to lose their livelihood over a shit chairman's decision, but if it's a Premier League team / lower division team with parachute payments they can do one frankly.

slyadams

Sorry, but this is abject nonsense.

People think footballers need to be these paragons of sporting virtue where all they care about is trophies, passion, glory, kissing the badge and getting statues of themselves put up. But that's simply not true. For 99% of these guys its a job to earn money. More often than not they don't come from privileged backgrounds and often have a family that is relying on them. They have a short window to earn and are at the mercy of fate to not pick up a career ending injury. If one of these guys ends up in a situation where they are paid significantly more to sit and not play rather than risking it all for a move and a massive pay cut, who are we to say that's wrong.

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude
Andy VDM was an alcy with a lot of issues.

My old man's an Everton fan and he always goes on about players leaving Everton and not making it. Rodwell, Jeffers, Barkley maybe. Sure there are more. I actually think 12 months more at Everton for Rooney would have been better. Tough isn't it I guess as the player wonders if that is there one shot to get to a big club and earn that HUGE money.
Bet you weren't thinking that after his debut. ;)

UncleBob

Currently a free agent and he has to be one of the biggest wasters out there. Perhaps Ravel Morrison wasted his talent but he quickly left virtually all the clubs he's played for whereas it seems Rodwell has been stealing a living while making a handful of appearances.
So Rodwell made the best decisions then.

Cascarino

Magnum Poopus
Supports
Swansea

I don’t get this at all. You talk about loyalty but where was the loyalty to Lampard when he was sacked? Where was the loyalty to Cech when they dropped him for a younger keeper? Two Chelsea legends who gave their all for the club.

Is this a club with no morality or loyalty? Or did they just make a decision that was right for the club in the long term? The same way a player will make the decision that they feel is right for them.

Josh 76

I don’t get this at all. You talk about loyalty but where was the loyalty to Lampard when he was sacked? Where was the loyalty to Cech when they dropped him for a younger keeper? Two Chelsea legends who gave their all for the club.

Is this a club with no morality or loyalty? Or did they just make a decision that was right for the club in the long term? The same way a player will make the decision that they feel is right for them.
Agree. To make it to the top, every player must be selfish in some way.

SambaBoy

Clubs screw players over all the time. Players have been guilty of being too loyal for the club to then screw them over. As soon as you're not useful to a team, they are ruthless unless you're Man United who just hand out long contracts to players who have contributed nothing.

Good on Rodwell for sitting on that contract and not being bullied into accepting less.

Maluco

Last Man Standing 3 champion 2019/20
Sunderland documentary really did him over. Instead of being annoyed by the ridiculous chairman and executives making terrible decisions, make this guy look like the devil because he accepted a contract offer for a fraction of the money the former wasted.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
I want to see the same argument by posters here with Pogba, who actually play until his contract expire.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea

They don't really "do nothing" though. They have to turn up to training and keep themselves in shape for a possible selection at any moment.