Jack Wilshere | I should be in the England squad

Sigma

He chose Bournemouth over AC Milan and Roma :lol:

Anyway, a place to discuss his performances

Chicharito_

I would do the same.

Fair play to him for doing this, I think it would definitely be his decision to go out there and get some football after being left out of the England squad - there's no harm in Wenger keeping him as a backup.

Absolute coup for Bournemouth and he really could be the difference (if he stays fit) between survival and relegation - intrigued to see how he goes.

Jacko21

He shouldn't be going on loan. The guy turns 25 in January.

Injury prone, barely any appearances in two seasons and no notable progression in his game.

Wenger is loyal to his players, I'll give him that, but they should just cut their losses and move him on, for good. They have better players than him in that position.

Di Maria's angel

Captain of Moanchester United
To be fair to him, why would he want to move to the Italian League, anyway?

Not sure how a loan move is going to make him less injury prone, though?

Sigma

To be fair to him, why would he want to move to the Italian League, anyway?

Not sure how a loan move is going to make him less injury prone, though?
Why wouldn't he choose them?
Do you mean why would you chose them?

If you do:

• First of all, the city, Milan/Rome completely destroys Bournemouth over anything you want to throw at it: culture, history, e.t.c.
  • Secondly, its a chance to experience something new, new language, new culture e.t.c. Why would you not want to try it, its not like its a permanent deal, its just a 1 year loan.
  • Thirdly, the stature of the clubs, Milan and Roma absolutely trounce Bournemouth in terms of how big a club they are in the world, because of their history and their fan base.
Now, I can see why he didn't pick Roma, as he might not start there when fit. But I would imagine he would start for Milan.

Also, last season Milan finished 7th and Bournemouth finished 16th. Many people are tipping them for a relegation battle, why would you want to be in that when you could go to a club like Milan?

Kag

The amount of people that are missing the point of this loan is startling. It's like going out of your way to be stupid.

RedRover

If you do:

• First of all, the city, Milan/Rome completely destroys Bournemouth over anything you want to throw at it: culture, history, e.t.c.
  • Secondly, its a chance to experience something new, new language, new culture e.t.c. Why would you not want to try it, its not like its a permanent deal, its just a 1 year loan.
  • Thirdly, the stature of the clubs, Milan and Roma absolutely trounce Bournemouth in terms of how big a club they are in the world, because of their history and their fan base.
Now, I can see why he didn't pick Roma, as he might not start there when fit. But I would imagine he would start for Milan.

Also, last season Milan finished 7th and Bournemouth finished 16th. Many people are tipping them for a relegation battle, why would you want to be in that when you could go to a club like Milan?
There is one very obvious reason why he would pick a club in the PL over a club in Italy - namely that every week, if he does well, its being rammed home to Arsene and Arsenal. There is no risk of "out of sight, out of mind" and a manage relying on scouting reports for updates on form.

The PL also has a higher level of intensity, and if he sees his long term future here then playing here is the best way to ensure that.

It's a brave move which lets Arsenal know that he's intending to prove his fitness and force his way back in. Credit to him for not picking the easy option.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!

If you do:

Because his family is in England?
Because he doesn't warn to learn a new language?
Because PL > Serie A?
Because he'll be guaranteed games at Bournemouth?
Because he wants to go back to Arsenal having played in the PL, not Serie A?

Pretty much everything you've said there is not football related.

Why should he give a toss about the stature of the club or history or city or whatever if he knows it's a year long loan manufactured to get him back to peak fitness + form for PL football?

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
His personal situation, having two young kids who do not live with him, I can see why he'd not want to leave the country where he'd hardly ever see them.

He needs to play regular football, that's almost guaranteed at Bournemouth. In Italy, not so much.

His best mate (the godfather of one of his kids) is at Bournemouth.

Bournemouth play (or try to) a similar style to Arsenal.

I can totally see why he chose the Cherries. It's not the bravest of moves but totally understandable.

Also, Bournemouth is a great place to live (I've lived in Bournemouth for a few years now), of course it does not have the history or culture of Milan or Rome but Jack Wilshere probably wants to spend his free time fishing with his mates, not visiting the Pantheon.

noodlehair

"It's like..."

If you do:

Maybe because at Bournemouth he will play when he's fit, rather than sit on the bench when he's fit?

Also maybe because locating and acclimatising to another country is actually quite a big deal when it's only for about 9 months anyway. Especially when you are Jack Wilshere and barely possess the brain power to speak your own language coherently.

Also Bournemouth is hardly a hellhole. It even has enough places for him to carry on going out and acting like some spoilt 19 year old dickhead, if he so chooses.

Don't think it's a ad move for him at all, though if I was an Arsenal fan I'd have given up hope on him a while ago.

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
It's a good move for all parties. Bournemouth isn't the worst place in the world.

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
If the idea is for him to get fit and play consistently so he can return to Arsenal next season, I cannot see how moving away from England makes it easier to accomplish that. Even if he wants to make a permanent move, his stock can only go higher with a consistent season at Bournemouth.

BennyBlanco

fixated with Shaw's bum
Januzaj chose a brave move and fat lot of good it did him, maybe Howe made him feel most welcome and accomadating? there's lots of factors that could be unique to Wilshere's choice, he also came to prominance originally with a loan to Bolton... a low prestige PL side, so perhaps he's thought process is he wants to replicate it once more.
He'll get games when fit and be their star player so.. the right choice I think.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
See both sides with this one. The important thing is to get games. That said, it's still a deflatingly unambitious move particularly for a player who is obviously better suited to a less physical league.

Massive Spanner

See both sides with this one. The important thing is to get games. That said, it's still a deflatingly unambitious move particularly for a player who is obviously better suited to a less physical league.
I don't see how it's unambitious nor do I see the point in being ambitious when it comes to loan deals. You want to get back to your best form and when it's only 9 months you don't really give a toss where it is. I think we'd be having a different discussion if this was a 4 year contract.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
If it's only a loan for a year, then it seems a bit pointless to go abroad and settle there, learn the language and whatnot to only to come back. Instead he can move a little further south, get back to form and fitness and return to Arsenal, with no drastic changes to his and his family's life. He could probably even commute from London if he really wanted.

Keeps It tidy

Hates Messi
Moving to Milan is not currently an ambitious move and Roma already have too many midfielders(plus it seems like Arsenal blocked the move). Can not fault the decision.

KiD MoYeS

Good Craig got his c'nuppins
Surely if he continues to get injured this season there'll be no place for him back at Arsenal? This is what I think happens.

Kag

Care to enlighten us?
I posted this in a different thread yesterday, which more or less sums up my thoughts:

This move isn't about looking impressive to nackerjack football fans. It's about playing regular football and staying fit.

It's a lot easier to do that at Bournemouth. He'll be playing under a good coach like Eddie Howe, he'll be guaranteed regular games and he doesn't have to adapt to a new country for the sake of eight months. He clearly has an Arsenal future going forward and this year is all about getting back on track. He's 24 and hasn't the time to take risks.

Plus, there's his family to think about, too. Those people that ordinary football fans tend to forget about when they discuss big money moves over the internet.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
He wants to play. He's not guaranteed to play at either Roma or Milan. Why can't people understand it.

cesc's_mullet

Get a haircut Hippy!
Supports
Arsenal

If you do:

He made the right choice, sorry but you're wrong.

cesc's_mullet

Get a haircut Hippy!
Supports
Arsenal
I posted this in a different thread yesterday, which more or less sums up my thoughts:

This move isn't about looking impressive to nackerjack football fans. It's about playing regular football and staying fit.

It's a lot easier to do that at Bournemouth. He'll be playing under a good coach like Eddie Howe, he'll be guaranteed regular games and he doesn't have to adapt to a new country for the sake of eight months. He clearly has an Arsenal future going forward and this year is all about getting back on track. He's 24 and hasn't the time to take risks.

Plus, there's his family to think about, too. Those people that ordinary football fans tend to forget about when they discuss big money moves over the internet.
I agree.

Pink Moon

Supports
Celtic
I think he made the right call too. In fact, I think it was a no brainer. If it was a permanent transfer I would have the complete opposite stance but it wasn't.

No need to adapt to a foreign country and learn a foreign language. Stay with your family and young children and remain in the league that you have long term ambitions to play in when you return to Arsenal.

Glideman

It did sound unambitious at first but upon reflection it makes a lot of sense for him to join Bournemouth.

I do think he will be sold to someone like West Ham in 2 years time.

Nogbadthebad

Got to remember, he'll be renting in Sandbanks, so talk of lifestyle difference with Italy is off too, in Bournemouth he can have a private beach, great house and he gets to see his kids.

Jacko21

Does he have an Arsenal future going forward though? I'm not so sure.

There are several players ahead of him. There is nothing to suggest that he can put his injury problems behind him and even when fit, he has struggled to hold down a place in the first XI, for one reason or another.

He's been part of the Arsenal first team 8 years. Has been blighted by injury. And more to the point, has not progressed. I see the same Jack Wilshere today, as four years ago. (The same could be said for many players under Wenger, he's failing many of them).

This just smacks of Arsenal, or rather Wenger, not wanting to admit defeat with Wilshere - a product of the academy. If they were to make him available for sale, who'd by him? A club that might challenge Arsenal? Unlikely. He's not going to improve another team to that extent that Arsenal would rue selling him. Unless of course Arsenal's ambitions remain firmly where they have been for several years. Mediocrity.

Any player who is made available for loan at his age, should question how their employer values them.

'We like you Jack, but not enough to give you the opportunity to prove yourself - we have Aaron, Francis, Granit, Mohamed and Alex who we place ahead of you.'

Last edited:

Insanity

Most apt username 2015
I have read it's a "brilliant move for Bournemouth". How is paying a 2m loan fee + exorbitant wages for a crock, who played a grand total of 2 games last season, can be construed as a good move for Bournemouth? It's a huge gamble with a slight chance for tremendous rewards if he is able to stay fit. Not a brilliant move for them by any stretch of imagination. It's only a good move for Arsenal, who temporarily get him of their books and get paid for it.

Massive Spanner

I have read it's a "brilliant move for Bournemouth". How is paying a 2m loan fee + exorbitant wages for a crock, who played a grand total of 2 games last season, can be construed as a good move for Bournemouth? It's a huge gamble with a slight chance for tremendous rewards if he is able to stay fit. Not a brilliant move for them by any stretch of imagination. It's only a good move for Arsenal, who temporarily get him of their books and get paid for it.
Because English.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
A season long loan to Italy would have been stupid, and cemented the end of his hopes to make it at Arsenal. He's made the right choice going to Bournemouth.

BlueCelery

Supports
Chelsea
Because he's by far the greatest player to ever play for them.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Being discussed on Mania. Some believe he was pushed out by Wenger. A BBC journo has said Arsenal were willing to do a loan with an option of buying.

Insanity

Most apt username 2015
Because he's by far the greatest player to ever play for them.
Oh yeah, great player, I remember when he made the Barcelona midfield run circles around him. :lol:

He was an enormously talented player when he burst into the scene. Injuries, or whatever, haven't allowed him to fulfill his potential. But a couple of great performances doesn't make anyone a great player.