Jackie Groenen

Denis79

Nice! Will be very interesting following the ladies this season. Really looking forward to it.

Bloedrood

She's great, probably my favourite player of the Dutch national team.

Broad Street Bullies

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
I got confused after I saw you posted this in the "United Women's Social Media Pics" thread. Was thinking to myself " How come I've never seen her name before". Anyway, often players claim to have been a fan of a team they sign for since childhood. No proof needed here!

PoTMS

Hopefully she can convince her mate Lieke Martens to also join us. Baller.

Angelinho

Excellent - one more name to look out for in next month's World Cup.

Henrik Larsson

Still logged in at RAWK (help!)
Jackie is ace, she's actually a really good player so that's a brilliant signing!

Back in 2017 the Dutch NT for men were at an all time low and hopeless in the qualifiers so I switched to watching the women to get that international football fix. Tournament was held in the Netherlands and tickets were quite cheap as well, so I went to a couple of matches including the semi's and the final and of course they ended up winning the thing.

Arsenal's Danielle van de Donk is a great little player too, she has very good allround skills, great tenacity and scores more goals. But in terms of passing and dictating play from midfield Jackie was the proverbial man for sure, and she's a bit younger than Danielle as well. Was really impressed with her vision, strength and the way she can keep the ball under pressure, the midfield trio was completed by the extremely powerful but technically more limited Sherida Spitse and it looked really well balanced.

Seems like a nice girl off the pitch as well, and she's a former national Judo champion. Really cool to see she's been a United fan since a kid and now ends up playing there.

Last edited:

Grande

She's great, probably my favourite player of the Dutch national team.
Yes!

Watching the Dutch women in Euro 2017 was a real treat, and they had several good players, particularily in attack, from the star Lieke Martens, the goalgetter Vivienne Miedema and Danielle de Donk, to the lightning winger Van de Sanden and miedfield iron Sherida Spitse. But the one player that stood out for me in that championship, ahead of Eugenie le Sommer, Ada Hegerberg, Jenifer Maroszan and Lucy Bronze, was Jackie Groenen. I don’t know if she was the best, and certainly not the one with most flair, but she played with the Cruyff intelligence, always looking for a simple pass to change the run of play in a surprising manner, looking to hurt weaknesses in the opposition. A real footballer’s footballer. Don’t expect the worlds best player, but expect lot’s of interesting football! She’s my favourite player of any country on the women’s side of the game, maybe barring Katie Zelem, and personally it’s just the greatest bit of transfer news I’ve heard since ... well, Juan Sebastian Veron. So a cautonary tale there, but, wey, this is wonderful stuff. Imagine her, Zelem and Lauren James cooking up a danger together from midfield.

https://www.manutd.com/en/news/deta...ign=ManUtd&utm_medium=post&utm_source=twitter

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Welcome to Manchester reception committee
Really pleasing signing - gives us that extra measure of experience and quality in midfield that will help us turn into a serious WSL1 team. If her and Zelem work out well together, they'll be a great pairing and whoever is with them in midfield will be well supported.

Nice statement of intent from United, another one to watch out for at the World Cup and great to see that she always knew that she was going to be a United player.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
Really pleasing signing - gives us that extra measure of experience and quality in midfield that will help us turn into a serious WSL1 team. If her and Zelem work out well together, they'll be a great pairing and whoever is with them in midfield will be well supported.

Nice statement of intent from United, another one to watch out for at the World Cup and great to see that she always knew that she was going to be a United player.
Do you think there will be any others coming in?

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Welcome to Manchester reception committee
Do you think there will be any others coming in?
I'd guess we're getting a starting defender and a starting forward. I won't be surprised if they're at the World Cup as well (based on the gossip on Twitter etc). Not wholesale changes, because we've got youngsters who we'll expect to get better, but changes that mean we'll be noticeably stronger as soon as we arrive in WSL1.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
I'd guess we're getting a starting defender and a starting forward. I won't be surprised if they're at the World Cup as well (based on the gossip on Twitter etc). Not wholesale changes, because we've got youngsters who we'll expect to get better, but changes that mean we'll be noticeably stronger as soon as we arrive in WSL1.
Really looking forward to seeing who they bring in. What do he women do for pre-season? What sort of teams do they play?

Gapingrocket

Played footy with her when I was younger in Holland.

Can confirm she is class.

Great signing, first of many I hope.

Grande

Really looking forward to seeing who they bring in. What do he women do for pre-season? What sort of teams do they play?
I’m guessing they’ll try to bring in two or three more with top flight experience if they can. The difference between Super league and championship is huge, even if we did well against the teams from the higher echelons this year.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
She got Zlatan's smile and that's a great sign.

With Green and Zelem that midfield looks ridiculously creative.

Stadjer

She is not only a brilliant player . She is such a lovely girl , always a smile on her face .
She just had an interview and had been crying a lot but she still had a smile on her face.

She is a really good midfielder. By far the best one of the Dutch women team. Hope she will do well for Manchester United.

dutchred

She just had an interview and had been crying a lot but she still had a smile on her face.

She is a really good midfielder. By far the best one of the Dutch women team. Hope she will do well for Manchester United.
Some of our men midfielders should play with her grit and determination and skill

Grande

Some of our men midfielders should play with her grit and determination and skill
Her pressing, her effectiveness with the ball, her short and long passing - she is one that can make a team tick. Even one like The Netherlands with four of their five best players out of form or confidence.

She is going to be interesting to see next to Katie Zelem next season.

Lightbringer

Jackie Groenen was the player that ran most/covered most distance in the entire whole world cup!

Thats really awesome and shows her ambition and what a hard worker she is. Not that anyone doubted that, but still remarkable stats. Very much looking forward to seeing her in the United shirt for a long time.

Top 3:

1. Jackie Groenen 74,1 km
2. Sherida Spitse 73.6 km
3. Kosovare Asllani 71.4 km

Reactions: jojojo